Re: giving money to gnome

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:

>     (If you haven't, then it is a good thing that you said you don't
>     want to run for project leader again).  Let's hope that at least
>     Ian Jackson and whoever else stepped forward do have at least a
>     slight idea, as to why this might be upsetting to the KDE guys.

bruce could be slightly more tactful at times, but this entire episode is
just confirming for me that we have the *right* person leading us.

sometimes a principle is more important than being meekly polite.

maybe, just maybe, the KDE team will start to get the idea that licenses
for free software *ARE* important, that free software which requires you
to use non-free software is not truly free, and that a large segment of
the linux user and developer communities feel very strongly about the free
software issue.

KDE is undoubtedly free.  It is, however, completely useless *UNLESS*
you install a piece of non-free software.  That is the problem.  KDE
developers show absolutely no inclination at all to fix that problem,
so it is a good thing that the gnome project exists as a truly-free
alternative.

craig