Re: giving money to gnome

Benedikt Eric Heinen <beh@icemark.ch> writes:

> 	Is GNOME the only possible free software project we could give
> 	money to?

No, but it's the best *free* desktop (here all future references to
free mean "unencumbered by a non-free component"), and Bruce does feel
very strongly that we *need* a good free integrated desktop.  (He's
probably right.  *I* don't need it, but Debian probably does.)

> 	Why can't GTK be an alternative?

Well, helping GNOME will probably help GTK, but at the moment, GTK
doesn't need as much help as GNOME if the goal is to get a good free
integrated desktop finished.  GTK's going along quite well with many
people submitting patches.

Besides, the GTK people have never said that they had any interest in
a Qt wrapper, funded or not, and as Bruce pointed out, this could be a
legal minefield anyway.  So regardless, giving money to GTK in no way
addresses the desktop issue.

> 	Why do people say, they just want to give money to GNOME to
> 	support GTK, when giving the money to GTK would have the same
> 	effect, but wouldn't upset KDE people so much?

Because giving it to GTK wouldn't necessarily have the effect of
getting a good free desktop off the ground at a time when it's
crucial.  It's unfortunate that this goal is upsetting to the KDE
people, but that can't be helped, and they aren't doing anything to
alleviate the problem.  If anything, their rising popularity is what
has increased the urgency of releasing a good unencumbered desktop.

> 	Why not give THIS money to dselect? The main point of negative
> 	feedback on Debian is not, that we don't have a free desktop,
> 	but rahter that dselect is still a good way from "very
> 	user-friendly".  (Note the polite wording here)
> 	Later we can still give money from other sources to GNOME.

But GNOME needs money now, or rather I think that people feel it's
important that they move faster, if possible, now.  I doubt that
throwing money at dselect is going to help.  GNOME is in a much better
position to take advantage of increased resources.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>