Re: [Fwd: is kde enough free?]

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I think I'd feel better about the KDE situation if they expressed a sincere
> desire to get away from Qt. They don't. The most they have said is "if you
> write a free Qt, please get in touch with us". They have never said "We
> encourage the writing of a free Qt, we will support the project as best we
> can without violating Troll Tech's license (since we are familiar with their
> source code), and we intend to switch to using it when such a thing is
> written."

I suspect that the existance of the Troll Tech license is what keeps them
from declaring support for any replacement (free or otherwise) to Qt. The
fact that they say that they would use a replacement is more encouraging
than silence given that more encouraging statements may not be possible
within their contractual agreements. We should view the KDE developers as
several of the victims in this situation, rather than grouping them with
the perp's.

Luck,

Dwarf