Re: [Fwd: is kde enough free?]

From: Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de>
> having a non-free dependency is very different from being not free.
> (hey, like the lesstiff guys did, you can replace a non-free dependency
> with something free.)

Yes. When meaning-to-be-free software that depended on Motif was switched to
Lesstif, it became actually free. Before that time any executable form of the
program was not free. You could claim that the source code or object modules
were free, but this is obfuscation because the programs were intended to run
with a non-free component and there was no free alternative.

I think RMS would agree that Emacs on the Sun was not entirely free because
SunOS was not free, and until there was a free OS, you could not run free
software without the assistance of a non-free program. We have a higher
standard now than in pre-Linux days.

I think I'd feel better about the KDE situation if they expressed a sincere
desire to get away from Qt. They don't. The most they have said is "if you
write a free Qt, please get in touch with us". They have never said "We
encourage the writing of a free Qt, we will support the project as best we
can without violating Troll Tech's license (since we are familiar with their
source code), and we intend to switch to using it when such a thing is
written."

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502