Re: "purity" package

Hi,
>>"bruce" == bruce  <bruce@va.debian.org> writes:

bruce> Sven, instead of a me-too, would you explain clearly to me why
bruce> it is necessary for Debian to carry material about inserting a
bruce> live small animal up your anus?

	I don't know how to put this delicately, but I'll try. Sexual
 mores are personal things. I personally do not find the concept
 appealing, but as far as the animal is concerned, that is no worse
 than being boiled alive (lobsters) or kept in a cage unable to move
 and fed things that bring on loose bowels (veal, I think). Is a fate
 worse than death really worse than death? Are we banning books on
 farming/cookbooks as well?

	Also, my sexual orientation happens to be hetero; (lots of my
 friends are not so), and I find non-hetero sexual acts unappealing as
 well. Do we brand ourselves gay unfriendly? Who gets to decide? I do
 not think that this decision making power is something I wish to rest
 solely with the project leader.

	As to sexual hangups, I know people who are offended by the
 shameless sight of naked cheekbones. Are we to cater to them as well?
 Why are we catering to some peoples sexual abhorrence?

	Also, please remember, there is a difference between
 fantasizing about something and condoning the real thing. (I would
 really feel uncomfortable going further into this)

	Why should we not yank packages based on content? I think it
 is important to us that we stand frmly behind freedom of speech as we
 do for freedom of software. That has it's price (people vs larry
 flint), one of them is that we may end up packaging things (like
 pictures of bare ankles and wrists [or worse, if there is anything
 worse than a bare ankle, in your opinion]) that offend some
 people. I, personally, would be proud to live with that, as long as I
 also stand for fredom of speech.

	This is a statement of opinion, but Bruce's posts have also
 been statements of opinion. There may be more in favour of Bruce than
 I (this is, after all, a strongly occidental prject), but please
 remember, democracy does not imply intolerance of minority
 viewpoints.

	manoj
My family has a major thing about us eating the sacred cow, too.
--
 The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
 of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.  -- Justice Louis