Re: project objectives (Was: "purity" package)

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Susan" == Susan G Kleinmann <sgk@kleinmann.com> writes:
>
> Susan> The right of free speech applies to someone's right to say
> Susan> whatever they want when they are representing themselves.  It
> Susan> does not confer the right to say whatever one wants in the name
> Susan> of some other person or organization. Therefore, no one has the
> Susan> _right_ to insert anything he wants into the official Debian
> Susan> CD-ROM or onto other official Debian resources.
>
> Susan> The guiding criterion for inclusion of a package in the
> Susan> distribution should only be whether that package serves the
> Susan> goals of the project.
>
>         Hear, hear. Isn't freedom (of software, admittedly, though it
>  could be extended to free speech if you stretch it s bit) a guiding
>  light of the project? Am I crying out alone in the wilderness?

No you are not.  I agree with you 100%.

When it comes to censorship it, I feel it is better not to draw a line.
I too am offended by certain things in this world.  My feeling is that
if there is something that somebody wants to do, as long as it doesn't
hurt anyone else (unless of course someone is consenting to be hurt 8)
), then they should have the right to choose.  (Sorry, that wasn't quite
as eloquent as it could have been, but hopefully you got the point).

We live in a world where there are far too many different view points to
be able to satisfy any of them.  Let people make their own choices.
(Whether or not I agree with those choices is irrelavent).

I don't feel comfortable imposing my moral standards on others, and I am
offended when others are (IMO) arrogant enough to impose there morals on
others because they feel their morals are somehow better.

Can't we compromise?  Keep the packages on master, but somehow mark them
or segregate them as potentially offensive?  I fear that there are a
great many packages that belong there with it (as many people have
already listed packages, I will refrain from doing this).  The "Explicit
lyrics warning" that is on many audio CD's comes to mind as a model.
(Did I really just say that?  8) )

To sum up, education is better than censorship.  Give people choices and
hope they make a good one.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com