Re: "purity" package

On 28 Nov 1997 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> This program might be of fleeting interest to 14-year-olds.

similar could be said of the bible package....that is is of interest only
to moral children who haven't figured out that there is no paternalistic
figure in the sky snooping on their every thought and action.

also it can be deeply offensive to non-christians (particular those who
have been persecuted by christians acting in the name of their god) and
may even be illegal in some non-christian countries.

> I think "purity" and the offensive fortunes should be in a separate
> distribution. Call it "offensive" or something. Let people who want to
> carry it do so.

please, lets not reduce ourselves to a lowest-common-denominator kind of
bland inoffensiveness.  Why should we suddenly start making 'moral'
judgements about packages as well as judging whether they are DFSG free or
not?

it isn't debian's place to be making such 'moral' judgements.  'morality'
is far from universal - it's different for every country, culture, and
individual.

> I'm all for your first ammendment freedoms, but I don't see how carrying
> this stuff improves the functionality of the Debian system.

censorship has a broader scope than just american legal documents.

taking a stand against censorship means accepting that it's "different
strokes for different folks" and that everybody does something which could
be considered offensive to somebody....and WILL BE considered offensive by
somebody.

if it harms none, do what you will.  live and let live.  keep your nose
out of other people's business.  dont go preaching to people who dont want
to hear it.

craig