some logo criteria, for those who are interested

Here's some basic marketing criteria for the logo. Given this, you might
understand my pick better, and you might pick additional logos from the
candidates and tell me why you think they fit. We can recycle them for other
products.

1. Trademark considerations.
	The image must be unique enough for you to trademark it as your
	intellectual property. The first person to use it in commerce gets
	trademark rights, so you must comission original art rather than
	re-use an image that others have had access to.

2. Easy recognition and memorization.
	The image must be easy to recognize and remember. When you see it
	a second time, you should immediately associate it with _your_
	product and _only_ your product. A simple "glyph" is generally better
	than a photo. People are trained to recognize and retain glyphs when
	they learn to read (or perhaps their brains are wired for it at birth).
	Glyphs can be recognized _subconsciously_, like when you read words
	instead of seeing individual letters. Photographs take longer to
	recognize because the viewer must find the perspective of the image
	and perform other complicated mental processes. The complexity of
	recognizing an image makes it more difficult to remember than a glyph.

3. Easy to print.
 3a: Don't require 4-color printing.
	Printer's ink is nasty stuff. Unlike the RGB on your CRT, it's
	a subtractive process, so it's in CMY space. Then when you mix
	CMY, you don't get black, you get brown, so you need black ink too.
	The black is "K" ("B" was taken), so you have CMYK or 4-color
	printing. 3-D images require 4-color printing and even then it can
	not reproduce the full gamut of RGB images because the ink is so
	non-linear. Add to that the fact that the printer never matches
	the ink to your monitor, so the image ends up being a different
	color. Also, the presses are never perfectly "registered" so that
	they print all colors in the same place, so the magenta image may
	be offset a 16th of an inch from the yellow (or 1/4 inch for a
	newspaper), and that really looks horrible on 4-color printing.
	This is why you pay so much for good 4-color printing.

 3b: 3-D is problematical.
	3-D is the hardest to print successfully. It requires 4-color
	printing and it always has subtle variations in tone.

 3c: Tolerate registration errors.
	Since the press is likely to print colors at some offset from each
	other, design your logo so that it is tolerant if the blue is 1/16
	inch away from where you mean it to be. 1/4 inch for a newspaper.

There's more, but I'm going to sleep now. Ponder that if you will.