Re: Project leader's final word on the "purity" issue

On Mon, Dec 01, 1997 at 06:41:51AM +0100, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
> > The New York Times does not choose to have a nude centerfold. This is not
> > censorship, but editorial judgement. I am exercising a similar judgement
> > in this case. I will defend anyone's right to distribute the same data
> > from their own site.
>
> What the heck is that supposed to mean? The NY Times is NOT a free thing.

What's the relevance of that?

> The NY Times has a BOSS who can do and not do whatever he likes. That's
> what he has been put in charge for, by the proprietors of the paper.

So what if Debian is free -- that criterion is absolutely independent
of good taste.

As the editor of the project effectively, Bruce has to make sure that
everything in the distribution is suitable. In this case, he felt
that it wasn't. You claim it's censorship, but just like Bruce said,
it's editorial judgement, not censorship. Bruce has said that he
supports your right to have and to distribute the material,
but sees no reason why we should distribute it. I agree with him.

> Well, at first - we should vote for him, just to see, whether he'll be
> more democratic or not. I don't think he'd be less democratic than you.

Some people are very quick to flame. It's always a good idea to back
off for a few seconds before sending a personal flame like this;
consider whether it's really worth sending. Would you still have sent
this last comment?

Hamish