Re: Project leader's final word on the "purity" issue

> > Fine. No problem with that. But, you're also saying, that a free software
> > effort as large as Debian is also independent of simple democratic issues.
> > Because, if there is one thing totally left out here, it's what the
> > *PEOPLE* want.
> We have a democracy, to the extent of electing Bruce & voting
> on some issues. It is not practical to consult the voters
> on every issue,

Why not? Of course, it'd be difficult, to poll for each thing indivdually.
But - why not "collect" for items to vote for, and then once every 8
weeks, the project leader sends out a mail CC'd to each developer
containing all info on what there is to vote, asking to send in votes
within a week, results will be open to all (each vote is listed by name).

If Bruce says, this is too much work, I don't know - once you set up a
script/program to handle the voting, this should be a pretty
straightforward job. Now it's too late to change something for the project
leader vote, but with that, I'd even step forward myself and just act out
the will of the developers (according to regular polls). I'd strongly
suggest to heavily cut down what the project leader may or may not do; and
actually write down what the project leader may or may not do, so that
when occurance arises, we don't need to fight over the leaders' rights
again and again.

Besides, the distribution could most likely live even without a project
leader, but imagine what would happen, if the 10 developers, that do the
most packages would go away from one day to the next - 357 hamm packages
would be orphaned just like that. I'm not saying that any one of them
would go, but the point is, that those are doing a job that is more vital
to Debian, then our project leader as an indivdiual. A project leader is
required, but he should never forget that it is those developers that have
(say) 20 or more packages to maintain or doing the actual vital work.

> so sometimes the elected project leader has to make decisions. Likewise
> we can't really ask the people on debian-user to vote because there are
> theoretically an unlimited number of voters if somebody feels strongly
> enough.

I wouldn't like to have votes from all people on deb-user as well, but
rather have the developers decide what's useful/good and what isn't.

> > favourite by the voters - he din't even pick one out of the "top 10", no,
> > it's just barely within the top 25, and got just over a third of the top
> > rating.
> > Come on - tell me, that also was simple editorial judgement?

> Not an editorial judgement, but a project leader's decision.
> I think that sometimes we underestimate the difficulty of the job
> he has. His partial list of criteria for choosing the logo are
> very valid;

a) Where is this list of criteria - I want to see where it has been
   published?

b) Please have a look at:
   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/overview.html

   Look closely at all the logos that ranked higher than "The Chosen One".
   Now - do you still seriously want to tell me, that NONE of the more
   wanted logos is acceptable? There is even a variation of the chosen
   logo (ez01), that is higher up in the popularity list, but this has
   also been ignored. Or - why is fn02 unacceptable - this one is in the
   top 5!

> did the people who voted for the logo think of any
> of these factors when they picked their favourite?

No - but in over a years time Bruce did not say "This, that and that logo
are unacceptable for the following reasons: [....] Please remove them from
the vote.". If the reasons would be understandable, I wouldn't mind seeing
the logo removed. But just ignoring "unusable" logos for more than a year
is just a tinsy weeny bit too convenient to just ignore the voters will.

> > YES! Definetely. 100% sure.  Remember - this isn't the first time, that
> > Bruce just-did-the-right-thing as you might call it.
> Then perhaps we need to sort out exactly what we expect of the people
> in the SPI positions.

I'd be pleased to see that for a start. Even though - I'd rather prefer to
see the whole project leader position to be stripped down and distributed
to various people (each one in charge of one aspect), that way the Debian
project leadership would also become easier to handle from the timescale
of the work involved in the position.

But this would at least remove the 'single-point-of-absolute-power' from
the central Debian structure.

  Benedikt

Windows 95: n.
    32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
    operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,  written
         by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.