Re: Project leader's final word on the "purity" issue

On Mon, Dec 01, 1997 at 10:10:31AM +0100, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
> Fine. No problem with that. But, you're also saying, that a free software
> effort as large as Debian is also independent of simple democratic issues.
> Because, if there is one thing totally left out here, it's what the
> *PEOPLE* want.

We have a democracy, to the extent of electing Bruce & voting
on some issues. It is not practical to consult the voters
on every issue, so sometimes the elected project leader
has to make decisions. Likewise we can't really ask
the people on debian-user to vote because there
are theoretically an unlimited number of voters if somebody
feels strongly enough.

> So, where exactly is the job description of a Debian project leader? Bruce
> is not just exercising his job (what exactly that may be), but also
> probing, how far he can ignore what people would like and what they won't.
> Just look at his logo decision. He took a logo that was clearly NOT the
> favourite by the voters - he din't even pick one out of the "top 10", no,
> it's just barely within the top 25, and got just over a third of the top
> rating.
>
> Come on - tell me, that also was simple editorial judgement?

Not an editorial judgement, but a project leader's decision.
I think that sometimes we underestimate the difficulty of the job
he has. His partial list of criteria for choosing the logo are
very valid; did the people who voted for the logo think of any
of these factors when they picked their favourite? Unlikely,
yet we need a project leader who does consider these things.
Similarly the PR work, like the messages to debian-announce,
dealing with the people on COAS, 86open, etc. As I said above,
we can't vote on every issue; we would spend all the time
in politics and no time on the packages. Some say this is already
true.

> If it is like that, then I can understand how Bruce can already publicly
> tell me, that he'll be around for another year: Even if he loses the poll,
> he'll use his "editorial judgement" to turn over the decision. Right?

This is a fair point; I'm not sure why Bruce would make that statement.

> YES! Definetely. 100% sure.  Remember - this isn't the first time, that
> Bruce just-did-the-right-thing as you might call it.

Then perhaps we need to sort out exactly what we expect of the people
in the SPI positions.

hamish