Re: Debian GNU/Linux Logo chosen

I think this story is an instructive example of the failure of an
unstructured process, unofficial interest polls, and official fiat.

Initially the logo selection process was started too far down the
line, with people encouraged to submit actual logos in many variations
rather than having a discussion about the form of the logo.  This made
it impossible to separate the various good and bad aspects of each
logo and try to find one that had the better parts of several.

Then, people were encouraged to vote on each logo individually.  With
hundreds of logos, and no clear indication that the polling was going
to do more than guide the production of further candidate logos, many
people (myself included) will only have voted on a subset of the logos
offered, and may not have paid as much attention to the process as
they would have done had they known how serious it was.

Finally, Bruce quite rightly decided that there has been a failure to
make adequate progress towards a logo that met his criteria.
Unfortunately, IMO he overreacted: from complete paralysis and lack of
decision we went instantly to a final decision having been made.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be Bruce's decision to make.  He's
been serving extremely well as a publicist for Debian and a general
force for good in the free software community.  If I am elected I
would be happy to have him continue in that role, and in line with my
election platform this would have been his decision to make - not as
Project Leader, but as the person in charge of publicity.

Of course, if the membership feel that this is a sufficiently
important decision that it ought to have been voted on then during the
phase were the new assignments of authority are drawn up those
developers should try to classify what they think the general case of
this is and write that into the rules.

However, I feel it would have been much better if someone had decided
in advance what they thought a good way of arriving at a logo would
have been, and had then carried it out, rather than having the kind
of moment-to-moment action/reaction that we've been seeing.

Bruce's list of criteria for the logo is a very good start to this
process.  It would have been much better at the beginning than at the
end, I think.

Ian.