Re: "purity" package

On Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 07:44:01AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> This is not what our social contract states.  It says that we are
> "guided by the needs of our users and the free-software comunity."  I
> really don't think that most users of Unix need this sort of thing in
> an OS, and since it is not really software that is in question, I
> don't think the second part applies.

Actually I don't think our social contract says jack about this type
of situation. I also regard that as a problem to some extent. I think
maybe we should aim at something like:

  Debian will provide a generic framework for the distribution of
  computer software and it's subsequent tracking and maintenace. This
  framework will supply users with facilities to guide them to software
  suited to their needs. This framework will attempt to provide users
  with maximum freedom of choice when selecting their components and
  attempt to resolve conflicts between them or advise of conflicts.
  Maximum freedom of choice will be the first goal of the framework and
  will not be influenced by political or moral considerations except in
  those situations in which the packages could place the Debian
  organization in unreasonable legal jepordy. The framework will guide
  users towards those packages which are best suited for their needs and
  away from packages that are potentially problematic for their
  installation.

In short, I think that it is our responsibility to see that Debian
provides maximum freedom of choice and minimum overhead on the
freedoms of its users whereever possible. We should allow our users to
make reasonable decisions about what should and should not be
installed on their systems and provide mechanisms to make those
decisions for them if and only if that is what they require.

Under no circumstance should we cripple the ability of the Debian
framework to provide maximum flexibility and maximum choice.

Just my $0.02,
Ean Schuessler                   An oderless programmer work-a-like
Novare International Inc.                     Silent and motionless
*** WARNING: This signature may contain jokes.