Re: Let's go!!! Debian 2.0 will be _top_ quality

Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>  It isn't fair that they're makeing so much money and not kicking any
>  down to the people who do the real work...  We can be sure they
>  aren't `stealing' patches from us though.

Just to be fair to redhat: I have "stolen" a few patches from them. Bsdgames
comes to mind, I'd have never gotten it to build without referring to their
diffs. Of course, debian bsdgames is now much more up to date, and I have a
good working relationship with the upstream maintainer, to ensure that the
debian version always comes out on top now. :-)

>  I wound up doing a bunch of other changes to the program, and
>  contacted Erik Troan, the author of the program, telling him about
>  it.  I asked him to look over what I'd done, and see if they'd like
>  to have it.  He was pissed because I'd reformatted a lot, and made
>  quite extensive changes.  Apparently, he never really looked over
>  what I'd done at all.

You know, I can sympathize, assumming that you pulled it up in emacs and
reformatted the whole thing. The important changes can get lost in the noise
there.

I hate to see more fragmentation of linux distributions than is necessary. I
wish you would resubmit your patches without the reformatting and merge the
two trees back together. If they refuse your patches, consider just keeping
them in the debian .diff file -- that's what it's there for. Expend some
effort to get along, it will pay off in the long run.

--
see shy jo