Re: Rethinking UPMs package format

On Jan 16,  2:29pm, Guy Maor wrote:
> > - Make packages immediately run the postinst after unpacking
> I still maintain that this is undesirable.

I think it's a good solution. However, it must be coupled with
_selection-time_ configuration scripts and a database to store their
results until the postinst runs. pre- and post-inst scripts should not be
interactive. We made a mistake here, or perhaps I should say we were
over-simplistic. Solving this problem will go a lot of the way toward
enabling batch noninteractive installation of multiple systems.

> > - Allow a separate "configuration" script in addition to the regular
> >   scripts which should do all interaction with the user and which will
> >   be executed at configuration time.

This is necessary for regular system administration. You really should not
have to re-install a package to configure it. The typical run-time
configuration
script should run the selection-time interactive script to query the user
for parameters and then the post-install non-interactive script to implement
the user's input.

> > - Automatic retrieval/installation of packages depended on and not
> >   installed.
>
> dselect already does this.  In any case, such functionality is not
> appropriate in dpkg.

The problem is that dpkg-ftp doesn't retrieve in dependency order. I don't
think other installation methods are as badly effected, but dpkg-ftp shows
problems because of this any time it fails to retrieve _all_ of the selected
files in one batch. Simply sorting the packages into dependency order solves
this particular problem. We need a package sorting program, please.

	Thanks

This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.