Re: dependency sort

"Bruce Perens" <bruce@golem.pixar.com> writes:

> Please do it right away! I'm trying to build packages for other
> architectures than i386, and having a dependency-sorted list of the
> packages would make the job a lot easier.

OK, I'll try to have something soon, and I'll make it a separate tool
so that you don't have to have dftp to use it.  Getting something that
mostly works won't be too hard, but getting it exactly right might
take longer and a few public iterations.

I found one problem with my new dftp code recently where packages that
replace and provide other packages like perl for perl-base cause a
minor amount of confusion.  Basically, dftp ends up thinking that you
must want to upgrade perl-base since you have it installed and there's
a newer version, when in reality it's not really installed, only
provided by perl.

Right now, making sure the right thing happens just requires some user
attention (the user needs to add perl-base to the ignore list, by
saying "i" at the upgrade prompt), but soon I'll have it scan for all
the replaces packages and DTRT.

--
Rob

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.