Re: Deity project schedule problems

Hi,
>>"Brian" == Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

>> Brian, I certainly was under a misapprehension regarding the status
>> of the Deity team; had I realized that they are not officially part
>> of the Debian project; I would have started work on this a long
>> time ago.

Brian> People have been complaining about dselect for years and nobody
Brian> was doing anything.  I went ahead and put together a team to do
Brian> something about it on my own.  It's for anything but Debian.
Brian> It is intended to eventually replace dselect.

	And I thank you for your concern (really -- this is not
 sarcasm).

	I think, however (no offence) that Debian should get off its
 collective butt and fix dselect. Now that you have clarified that
 Deity is essetially a friendly third party trying to fix a critical
 eyesore for Debian, I am questioning whether Debian can afford to
 shelve off such a critical effort to a third party (no matter how
 benevolent).

	I think Debian needs to initiate an effort which is answerable
 to Debian, and have the Debian project at large set deadlines,
 etc, if for nothing else than to help Debian plan for the next
 release(s).

	I personally am also uneasy about the closed doors policy of
 Deity. I understood the reasons offered, about distractions, noise,
 and shifting specs, but I am not quite convinced that the solution
 proposed was any better. In my experience, for what that counts,
 independent cabals not answerable to anybody have usually resulted in
 cost and schedule overruns. Your mileage may vary.

Brian> If somebody else also want's to write a replacement, they are
Brian> free to do so.  Personally, I think it a waste of effort to
Brian> duplicate an ongoing project, but that's just my opinion.

	Yes. It is a great pity, but I think that it is time for
 Debian to stop depending on the kindness of strangers ;-).

	There already is a rift between the rarefied levels of Debian
 and Deity; and I think it behooves Debian to think defensively and
 maybe start thinking about fallback options.

	I hope we may be able to do that amicably.

	manoj

--
 The emperor has no clothes.