Re: Deity project schedule problems

>         Brian, I certainly was under a misapprehension regarding the
>  status of the Deity team; had I realized that they are not officially
>  part of the Debian project; I would have started work on this a long
>  time ago.

People have been complaining about dselect for years and nobody was doing
anything.  I went ahead and put together a team to do something about it
on my own.  It's for anything but Debian.  It is intended to eventually
replace dselect.

If somebody else also want's to write a replacement, they are free to do
so.  Personally, I think it a waste of effort to duplicate an ongoing
project, but that's just my opinion.

Bruce gave his blessing (in some manner, anyway) on the project and so
we continued on.  We would have continued either way, though.

>         I think that dselct is too important to Debian to slough it
>  off on an entity not resonsible to Debian, which does not answer to
>  the project, and which has no schedule set.
>
>         Also, I think that a more open development model, based closer
>  to the Debian philosophy, may benefit the dselect rewrite.
>
>         My best wishes to the Deity team, it is seldom one gets to
>  welcome a new entity to the free software universe. However, I think
>  it is time for Debian to rewrite dselect.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that in the important areas we
can work to gether towards improving the base packaging interface where
necessary.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )