Re: Withdrawing (temporarily) from the debian project

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Shaya Potter wrote:

> >	o We have too many packages, most of them unmaintained.
> >	o We are too many developpers.

> there b/4.  In many ways the dist. has lost direction and has become
> bloated.  We are essentially everything to everybody, which can be a bad
> thing.

> at Redhat) is because with those systems, you know what's going to be on
> them.  i.e. Sendmail, Apache....  With debian, we can have sendmail, smail,
> exim, zmailer, Apace, boa..... Choice isn't a bad thing, but it can detract
> from the overwell cohesivness of the dist.  We have to have a good method of
> getting rid of the chaf and maybe make it harder for people to become
> "developers"  but not contributers.  An idea would be to make it so that

I think a paring down of the distribution in some form might be
beneficial.  Maybe something along the lines of really putting tightening
down on the essential distribution, and opening up the less important
packages to more frequent upgrades. Even though this is a particularly
difficult transition to libc6, Debian certainly isn't going to be getting
smaller or less unwieldy in the near future.  The long waits between
releases also bother me - as I think it takes us away from the bazaar
model of development, which is one of our core strengths.  I think
something needs to be done so that the 'stable' releases can be more
easily managed - making it easier to update.

Maybe this isn't the ideal solution - but I feel something ought to be
done - to allow more of a 'bazaar' release schedule, and to keep the core
things tight.

Ian mentioned something about changing releases in one of his emails about
running for president.  I would be most interested to hear the opinions of
some of the older and wiser members of Debian.

Thankyou,

David Welton
davidw@efn.org  davidw@freenet.hut.fi  http://www.efn.org/~davidw
Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
			 --Debian GNU/Linux--