Re: Withdrawing (temporarily) from the debian project

At 08:57 PM 12/1/97 +0800, Philippe Troin wrote:

>People,
>
>in the wake of the recent events, I'm withdrawing temporarily from
>the Debian project.
>Well, the reasons are:
>	o Continuous flaming on the lists.
>	o Recent things wrt the leadership role.
>	o Not having fun anymore.
>
>I think some the reasons for all the problems we're having is that:
>	o We have too many packages, most of them unmaintained.
>	o We are too many developpers.

In a way I agree with phil.  I remember when I joined being a developer with
debian 2 summers ago.  I originally downloaded debian caused it looked like
a nice dist.  Was a good ELF environemnt, and was pretty open.  I origianlly
was just on debian-user, but soon after that, I wanted a xanim package, so I
became a developer.  In those days debian-user had less messages per day
than debian-private has had recently.  (I remember being a way for a week at
Boy Scout camp, and only having 300 messages in my inbox when I came back.)
Soon after I joined, Debian's popularity seemed to explode and many people
like me joined.  However, there is a side effect of this.  We have become
bigger, many people don't feel the same friendship and closeness that was
there b/4.  In many ways the dist. has lost direction and has become
bloated.  We are essentially everything to everybody, which can be a bad
thing.

When I was talking with the author of linuxconf, he was telling me that the
main reason he aims linuxconf at redhat and slackware (now, I guess, mostly
at Redhat) is because with those systems, you know what's going to be on
them.  i.e. Sendmail, Apache....  With debian, we can have sendmail, smail,
exim, zmailer, Apace, boa..... Choice isn't a bad thing, but it can detract
from the overwell cohesivness of the dist.  We have to have a good method of
getting rid of the chaf and maybe make it harder for people to become
"developers"  but not contributers.  An idea would be to make it so that
anyone can package a package (like now), but to let it be included in the
dist.  One "developer" has to agree to adopt the package and maintain it.
If a package gets orphaned, and their are other packages that do the same
job as it, if no one is willing to maintain it, it gets moved out of the
main dist.  We need a formalized method of pruning the dist.

>Try to have fun.

that's the main thing we are all here for, isn't it?  Everybody should
remember that and not take everything so seriously.  There's a place for
seriousness and a place for having fun, and we should make time for both,
but not at the expense of either.

Shaya