11.09.08

Harry McCracken, Technologizer: Bribed by Microsoft

Posted in Microsoft, Vista 7, Windows at 8:34 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Ferrari laptop

THIS is part of a series of posts. For context, see:

The previous post explained why Tim Anderson had lost his credibility as a reporter. It’s about that laptop giveaway. Now we can add Harry McCracken to the same bucket. He even included an exclamation point in the headline of his pseudo-review, “Windows 7 First Impressions: Hey, This Looks Pretty Good!”

A few disclosures about the discussion of specific Windows 7 features that follows: So far, I’ve used Windows 7 for only a few hours, and only in preinstalled form on a Dell laptop loaned to me by Microsoft.

[...]

But for what it’s worth, W7 loads quickly and feels pretty darn zippy on the Dell notebook Microsoft loaned me, which is unencumbered by third-party adware and junkware.

He wrote about it some more, so it wasn’t a one-time thing. There are very few people out there who can tell the world about Vista 7 (well, based on hands-on experience) and many of them are bribed.

Harry McCracken received a $2,000 gift from Microsoft. Expect him to publish nice things about Microsoft and/or Windows in the future.

“I’ve been thinking long and hard about this, and the only conclusion I can come to is that this is ethically indistinguishable from bribery. Even if no quid-pro-quo is formally required, the gift creates a social obligation of reciprocity. This is best explained in Cialdini’s book Influence (a summary is here). The blogger will feel some obligation to return the favor to Microsoft.”

Former Microsoft manager

• Slashdot

1. Harry McCracken said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Just a few facts:

1) I received no “$2000 gift”–as I stated (and you quote), the laptop is a loaner which I will return to Microsoft.

2) Okay, one of your posts says that the laptop is on permanent loan and therefore indistinguishable from a gift. News to me–I received both verbal and written notification from Microsoft that they expect me to return it. And I will, most likely well before their deadline.

3) It was of some value for the first 40 hours or so after I received it, when I used it to use Windows 7 and develop some opinions about it. Once I received the code on DVD, I installed it on two machines I own, and haven’t used the loaner since (I may or may not use it further before returning it to Microsoft).

4) In one of your earlier posts, you discuss a “secret” Microsoft meeting and say that nobody there talked about it or the laptops distributed at it; I disclosed both the meeting and the laptop in my story, so that I had nothing to hide and readers could draw their own conclusions.

5) Every word I wrote about Windows 7 was my sincere take on it, and the fact that Microsoft loaned me a laptop had no impact; my credibility as a journalist is worth way, way more than $2000 and if I lose it, I lose everything. Even if I was willing to be bribed, it would be a moronic financial decision.

6) If you Google for me you’ll find that last year I quit a job that paid a -lot- more than $2000 rather than being forced to make decisions about editorial content based on money from a company I covered.

7) I have about 18 years of public track record of writing about Microsoft, and if you check it out (including stuff I’ve written since the post you quote) you’ll see that I’m hardly a shill for them.

You’re perfectly entitled to discuss this laptop loaner program and even express opinions on whether it has an impact on coverage of Windows 7; it’s a legitimate topic for discussion, which is one reason why I disclosed I’d accepted the loaner. But your posts would be far more effective if you stuck to the facts.

–Harry McCracken, editor, Technologizer

2. G. Michaels said,

November 10, 2008 at 1:13 am

@Harry:

I wouldn’t worry too much about this, Roy Schestowitz also employs (in his word) shills, nymshifters and munchkins that spew drivel about Microsoft everywhere, insult people and promote his website. So his credibility is right around the zero mark now. This guy:

is one of them, currently on loan from Slashdot. If you use Google Site Search for ‘twitter’ you’ll get an idea of how all that works.

And don’t be surprised if ‘twitter’ makes an appearance to insult you, your dog, family, etc. Apparently that’s his main task around here, partially hidden behind who-knows-how-many identities. A few days ago he was let loose on Alex Brown of ISO as well. Defending yourself from Roy’s libel can be an adventure in itself thanks to his cadre of loopy ninjas :)

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

November 10, 2008 at 5:18 am

The laptops were on “indefinite loan”. Only when Microsoft and the recipients got criticised for it did they claim that a return was really needed. It’s 2006 all over again.

4. pcolon said,

November 10, 2008 at 6:10 am

If I were to do a review of laundry detergent, handed a high end washer-dryer on an indefinite loan; would that add credibility to any positive remarks on the detergent?

5. Harry McCracken said,

November 10, 2008 at 10:57 am

I didn’t receive a laptop on indefinite loan; from the moment that Microsoft said it was distributing them, it stated that they were to be returned.

I have the advantage of having been at the “secret” event in question–which, of course, I disclosed that I attended, which is an odd thing to do with a secret meeting–and you’re smearing people without knowing what you’re talking about.

-Harry

November 10, 2008 at 11:06 am

Well, I don’t know what I can believe. My sources say it was an “indefinite loan”. Also see:

“Oh, and just a note, other than this loaner laptop, I receive zero compensation from Microsoft (or from any other entity), my regular job is covering my travel expenses to the conference, and I receive no advertising dollars from this website.”

It sounds like this chap considers his “loaner” (not “loaned”) laptop to be compensation.

Back in Vista days, bloggers were not required to return the laptops, either.

It seems to me like quite a few people are doing some ‘damage control’ at the moment.

7. stevetheFLY said,

November 10, 2008 at 11:39 am

“My sources say…” My ass! Which of your Usenet geek friends claimed to know someone who knew someone who heard something this time?

Roy, you are insulting, you are stirring hatred and mutual distrust in the community, you know that? You alone have caused much more damage to the Linux community than everything Microsoft could ever do.

Note: comment has been flagged for arriving from an incarnation of a known (eet), pseudonymous, forever-nymshifting, abusive Internet troll that posts from open proxies and relays around the world.

8. twitter said,

November 17, 2008 at 2:10 am

My opinion about this can be found here.

1. Guest Post: The Worrying State of Political Judgement in Free Software Communities

A look at what Mozilla has become and what that teaches us about the Web and about software

2. Links 21/9/2020: KTechLab 0.50.0, Linux 5.9 RC6

3. Git is Free Software, GitHub is Proprietary Trap

More and more people all around the world understand that putting their fruit of labour in Microsoft's proprietary (but 'free') prison is misguided; the only vault they have is for human beings, not code

4. Daniel Pocock on Codes of Conduct and Their Potential Dangers in Practice

In Debian we’ve already witnessed several examples where Codes of Conduct, if put in the wrong hands (in the Linux Foundation it’s corporate hands), can achieve the very opposite of their intended goal and its a true shame as well as a travesty for legitimate victims of real abuse

5. Links 20/9/2020: Flameshot Screenshot Tool 0.8, Okular Improvements and More

6. Reminder: Vice Chair of the Linux Foundation's Board is an Oracle Executive Who Used to Work for Microsoft

The Linux Foundation issued statements to the effect of opposing Donald Trump, but its current leadership (people from companies like Oracle, Microsoft and IBM) is a strong proponent of doing as much business as possible with Trump (even in violation of international law)

7. [Meme] How to Hijack Linux and Free Software to Make Them Proprietary and Microsoft-Controlled

Intel keeps outsourcing almost everything (that's not proprietary with back doors, e.g. ME) to Microsoft's proprietary software prison, known as GitHub; to make matters worse, Intel now uses the Microsoft-hosted Rust to develop in Microsoft servers, along with Microsoft, code that promotes Microsoft proprietary software (e.g. Hyper-V) and non-standard 'extensions'.

8. DDOS Attacks Against Us Lately

(Distributed) Denial-of-service attacks or DDOS attacks have slowed down the site, but we treat that as evidence of suppression and fear (of what's to come and what was recently published), or accuracy (in reporting) rather than inaccuracy

9. [Meme] Windows as Dead Man Walking (Patches Accelerate the Death)

Microsoft is squeezing whatever life is left in its “burning platform” (which is already exceeded in terms of market share by Android) that has a "burning" (bricked) WSL with barely any users and plenty of critical problems

10. We Let Them Get Away With Murder, But They Make up for It by Banning Words

The Microsoft propaganda machines (notably ZDNet this weekend) are busy portraying Microsoft as a “good company” for censoring words, never mind the actual, meaningful, substantial actions of Microsoft, which is boosting authoritarian people who imprison even babies (for the ‘crime’ of being on the ‘wrong’ side of the border)

11. High-Profile and Invalid (Invalidated) European Patents Harm the Presumption of Validity of European Patents

The EPO's 'printing machine' (over-producing patent monopolies) is harming the legal certainty associated with such patents, helping nobody but deep-pocketed monopolists and law firms

12. Epitaph for (Death of) Patent-Centric Media: Litigation Giant Bird & Bird Nowadays Doing Ads as 'Podcasts' in Think Tank Site 'Managing IP'

Publishers don't hesitate and openly revel in taking bribes as if it's a badge of honour or importance, allowing themselves to be profoundly corrupted in pursuit of quick cash; we discuss what's happening in sites that pretend to cover patent news (but actually drive agenda of litigation giants, to the detriment of actual innovators)

13. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, September 19, 2020

IRC logs for Saturday, September 19, 2020

14. Links 20/9/2020: 4MLinux 34.0 Released, September Release and EndeavourOS for ARM

15. Video: Free Communication With Free Software - Daniel Pocock - FOSSASIA Summit 2016

The 2016 FOSSASIA talk from Daniel Pocock (Debian) about Free software alternatives to Google, Microsoft Skype and so on (Microsoft started paying Debian in 2016)

16. [Meme] Microsoft Downtime... Now in 'Linux' (Wait a Month for Microsoft to Restore Uptime)

Microsoft’s utter failure that is "WSL2" is bringing the failures Windows is so notorious for (loss of work, lack of security, fatal patches) to so-called ‘Linux’; the timeframe for a fix says a lot about just how much Microsoft “loves” Linux…

17. Coming Soon: Microsoft Leaks (Which Microsoft Pressured Medium to Suppress and Promptly Unpublish)

Microsoft is no ordinary company; exposing it is like dealing with the Mafia or some drug cartel in Mexico, but we're able to publish truths about Microsoft nonetheless (their notorious intimidation and silencing attempts have always failed against us)

18. Dishonest Corporations -- Like Smug Politicians -- Pretend to be Something They're Not

Corporate lies dominate the media, having been crafted by unethical marketing departments with their photo ops and hashtags

19. GNU is Also a Brand, But It Boils Down to Philosophy and Principles, Not Greed or Corporate Identity

Why the goal of GNU should be freedom rather than so-called 'world domination' (the objective of large firms with shareholders)

20. IRC Proceedings: Friday, September 18, 2020

IRC logs for Friday, September 18, 2020

21. Links 19/9/2020: Taiwins 0.2 and a Call for Ubuntu Community Council Nominations

22. One Year Later Richard Stallman Needs to be Un-cancelled and Attention Turned to the Real Perpetrator of MIT Scandals

The sheer hypocrisy, treating Stallman as the real nuisance to MIT when it was in fact Bill Gates who trafficked money through convicted sex criminals (to MIT); justice needs to be belatedly restored

23. ZDNet's 'Linux' Section Isn't About Linux But About Microsoft

ZDNet's so-called 'Linux' section isn't really about GNU/Linux; it's just the site's usual Microsoft propaganda, bought and paid for by Microsoft

24. Debian's Network of Gossip and Gossipmongering in Debian-Private

Reprinted with permission from Debian Community News

25. More EPO Disclosures: An Explanation of How an EPO Survey Plots to Dismantle the EPO's Staff

Dismantling the Office for the benefit of a bunch of private companies (taking over various duties of EPO staff) seems like the management's goal; included in image form (and text) below is today's publication. There's a PDF with text (not OCR) but it contains metadata.

26. Forced Confessions and Thought Control in Debian

Reprinted with permission from Debian Community News

27. [Meme] You Cannot Elect/Vote Corporations Out of Power (Eternal Vigilance is Required)

Based on early polls, Biden will be president-elect in about a month and a half; but it’s important to remember that the election (if honoured by the current tenant of the White House) won’t be the end of corporate abuse of power in the same sense that driving Microsoft out of business won’t miraculously mean that Free software ‘won’ (we have a lot more to confront still)

28. Debian Volunteers Disallowed and Forbidden From Talking About Politics (Unlike Debian's Aristocracy That Handles All the Money From Sponsors)

Reprinted with permission from Debian Community News

29. Political Compass for Free Software (and Those Who Attack Software Freedom)

With RMS (the father of the movement) betrayed from multiple angles (OSI, Linux Foundation etc.) it’s probably important to depict what’s going on, quasi-politically speaking

30. Richard Stallman Has Not Changed His Tune at All

Richard Stallman's (RMS) principled views regarding software go back to the days of zeroes and ones; his position 35 years ago was almost indistinguishable from today's position