11.09.08

Harry McCracken, Technologizer: Bribed by Microsoft

Posted in Microsoft, Vista 7, Windows at 8:34 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Ferrari laptop

THIS is part of a series of posts. For context, see:

The previous post explained why Tim Anderson had lost his credibility as a reporter. It’s about that laptop giveaway. Now we can add Harry McCracken to the same bucket. He even included an exclamation point in the headline of his pseudo-review, “Windows 7 First Impressions: Hey, This Looks Pretty Good!”

A few disclosures about the discussion of specific Windows 7 features that follows: So far, I’ve used Windows 7 for only a few hours, and only in preinstalled form on a Dell laptop loaned to me by Microsoft.

[...]

But for what it’s worth, W7 loads quickly and feels pretty darn zippy on the Dell notebook Microsoft loaned me, which is unencumbered by third-party adware and junkware.

He wrote about it some more, so it wasn’t a one-time thing. There are very few people out there who can tell the world about Vista 7 (well, based on hands-on experience) and many of them are bribed.

Harry McCracken received a $2,000 gift from Microsoft. Expect him to publish nice things about Microsoft and/or Windows in the future.

“I’ve been thinking long and hard about this, and the only conclusion I can come to is that this is ethically indistinguishable from bribery. Even if no quid-pro-quo is formally required, the gift creates a social obligation of reciprocity. This is best explained in Cialdini’s book Influence (a summary is here). The blogger will feel some obligation to return the favor to Microsoft.”

Former Microsoft manager

1. Harry McCracken said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Just a few facts:

1) I received no “$2000 gift”–as I stated (and you quote), the laptop is a loaner which I will return to Microsoft.

2) Okay, one of your posts says that the laptop is on permanent loan and therefore indistinguishable from a gift. News to me–I received both verbal and written notification from Microsoft that they expect me to return it. And I will, most likely well before their deadline.

3) It was of some value for the first 40 hours or so after I received it, when I used it to use Windows 7 and develop some opinions about it. Once I received the code on DVD, I installed it on two machines I own, and haven’t used the loaner since (I may or may not use it further before returning it to Microsoft).

4) In one of your earlier posts, you discuss a “secret” Microsoft meeting and say that nobody there talked about it or the laptops distributed at it; I disclosed both the meeting and the laptop in my story, so that I had nothing to hide and readers could draw their own conclusions.

5) Every word I wrote about Windows 7 was my sincere take on it, and the fact that Microsoft loaned me a laptop had no impact; my credibility as a journalist is worth way, way more than $2000 and if I lose it, I lose everything. Even if I was willing to be bribed, it would be a moronic financial decision.

6) If you Google for me you’ll find that last year I quit a job that paid a -lot- more than $2000 rather than being forced to make decisions about editorial content based on money from a company I covered.

7) I have about 18 years of public track record of writing about Microsoft, and if you check it out (including stuff I’ve written since the post you quote) you’ll see that I’m hardly a shill for them.

You’re perfectly entitled to discuss this laptop loaner program and even express opinions on whether it has an impact on coverage of Windows 7; it’s a legitimate topic for discussion, which is one reason why I disclosed I’d accepted the loaner. But your posts would be far more effective if you stuck to the facts.

–Harry McCracken, editor, Technologizer

2. G. Michaels said,

November 10, 2008 at 1:13 am

@Harry:

I wouldn’t worry too much about this, Roy Schestowitz also employs (in his word) shills, nymshifters and munchkins that spew drivel about Microsoft everywhere, insult people and promote his website. So his credibility is right around the zero mark now. This guy:

is one of them, currently on loan from Slashdot. If you use Google Site Search for ‘twitter’ you’ll get an idea of how all that works.

And don’t be surprised if ‘twitter’ makes an appearance to insult you, your dog, family, etc. Apparently that’s his main task around here, partially hidden behind who-knows-how-many identities. A few days ago he was let loose on Alex Brown of ISO as well. Defending yourself from Roy’s libel can be an adventure in itself thanks to his cadre of loopy ninjas :)

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

November 10, 2008 at 5:18 am

The laptops were on “indefinite loan”. Only when Microsoft and the recipients got criticised for it did they claim that a return was really needed. It’s 2006 all over again.

4. pcolon said,

November 10, 2008 at 6:10 am

If I were to do a review of laundry detergent, handed a high end washer-dryer on an indefinite loan; would that add credibility to any positive remarks on the detergent?

5. Harry McCracken said,

November 10, 2008 at 10:57 am

I didn’t receive a laptop on indefinite loan; from the moment that Microsoft said it was distributing them, it stated that they were to be returned.

I have the advantage of having been at the “secret” event in question–which, of course, I disclosed that I attended, which is an odd thing to do with a secret meeting–and you’re smearing people without knowing what you’re talking about.

-Harry

November 10, 2008 at 11:06 am

Well, I don’t know what I can believe. My sources say it was an “indefinite loan”. Also see:

“Oh, and just a note, other than this loaner laptop, I receive zero compensation from Microsoft (or from any other entity), my regular job is covering my travel expenses to the conference, and I receive no advertising dollars from this website.”

It sounds like this chap considers his “loaner” (not “loaned”) laptop to be compensation.

Back in Vista days, bloggers were not required to return the laptops, either.

It seems to me like quite a few people are doing some ‘damage control’ at the moment.

7. stevetheFLY said,

November 10, 2008 at 11:39 am

“My sources say…” My ass! Which of your Usenet geek friends claimed to know someone who knew someone who heard something this time?

Roy, you are insulting, you are stirring hatred and mutual distrust in the community, you know that? You alone have caused much more damage to the Linux community than everything Microsoft could ever do.

Note: comment has been flagged for arriving from an incarnation of a known (eet), pseudonymous, forever-nymshifting, abusive Internet troll that posts from open proxies and relays around the world.

8. twitter said,

November 17, 2008 at 2:10 am

My opinion about this can be found here.

1. Links 29/11/2021: FWUPD's 'Best Known Configuration' and Glimpse at OpenZFS 3.0

2. President Biden Wants to Put Microsofter in Charge of the Patent Office, Soon to Penalise Patent Applicants Who Don't Use Microsoft's Proprietary Formats

The tradition of GAFAM or GIAFAM inside the USPTO carries on (e.g. Kappos and Lee; Kappos lobbies for Microsoft and IBM, whereas Lee now works for Amazon/Bezos after a career at Google); it's hard to believe anymore that the USPTO exists to serve innovators rather than aggressive monopolists, shielding their territory by patent threats (lawsuits or worse aggression) and cross-licensing that's akin to a cartel

3. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part VIII — Mr. Graveley's Long Career Serving Microsoft's Agenda (Before Hiring by Microsoft to Work on GitHub's GPL Violations Machine)

Balabhadra (Alex) Graveley was promoting .NET (or Mono) since his young days; his current job at Microsoft is consistent with past harms to GNU/Linux, basically pushing undesirable (except to Microsoft) things to GNU/Linux users; Tomboy used to be the main reason for distro ISOs to include Mono

4. Dr. Andy Farnell on Teaching Cybersecurity in an Age of 'Fake Security'

By Dr. Andy Farnell

5. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, November 28, 2021

IRC logs for Sunday, November 28, 2021

6. Links 29/11/2021: Linux 5.16 RC3 and Lots of Patent Catch-up

7. By 2022 0% of 'News' Coverage About Patents Will Be Actual Journalism (Patent Litigation Sector Has Hijacked the World Wide Web to Disseminate Self-Promotional Misinformation)

Finding news about the EPO is almost impossible because today’s so-called ‘news’ sites are in the pockets of Benoît Battistelli, António Campinos, and their cohorts who turned the EPO into a hub of litigation, not science; this is part of an international (worldwide) problem because financial resources for journalism have run out, and so the vacuum is filled/replaced almost entirely by Public Relations (PR) and marketing

8. Trying to Appease Those Who Never Liked Free Software or Those Who Blindly Loved All Patent Monopolies to Begin With

It’s crystal clear that trying to appease everyone, all the time, is impossible; in the case of the EPO, for example, we hope that exposing Team Battistelli/Campinos helps raise awareness of the harms of patent maximalism, and when speaking about Free software — whilst occasionally bashing the alternatives (proprietary) — we hope to convince more people to join the “Good Fight”

9. Links 28/11/2021: Laravel 8.73 Released, GitHub Offline for Hours

10. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, November 27, 2021

IRC logs for Saturday, November 27, 2021

11. Links 27/11/2021: Nvidia’s DLSS Hype and Why GNU/Linux Matters

12. [Meme] Linus Gabriel Sebastian Takes GNU/Linux for a (Tail)'Spin'

If you’re trying to prove that GNU/Linux is NOT Windows, then “haha! Well done…”

13. GNU/Linux is for Freedom and It'll Gain Many Users When (or Where) People Understand What Software (or Computing) Freedom Means

Software that respects people's freedom (and by extension privacy as well) is an alluring proposition; those who choose to try GNU/Linux for the wrong reasons are likely the wrong target audience for advocates

14. Amid Reports of Microsoft's Competition Crimes in Europe...

European companies are complaining, but they seem to overlook the principal aspect of an imperialistic system with bottomless pockets (almost 30 trillion dollars in debt already; US national debt soared again last month); Microsoft is shielded by a political system with military (“defence”) as bailout budget to help cushion international expansion for data grab and technical leverage, as we've seen in the case of EPO (this is all political, not technical, and should thus be treated as a political/corruption issue)

15. Is Linus Trolling the GNU/Linux Community?

This new video responds to what many sites have been provoked into amplifying

16. Links 27/11/2021: Tux Paint 0.9.27 and SeaMonkey 1.1.19 in EasyOS

17. [Meme] Keeping Our Distance From Microsoft

The OSI is the dagger, the Linux Foundation is the knife, and many others are the sword by which Microsoft tries to get into the very heart of GNU/Linux and extinguish the Free software movement

18. Microsoft Edge Encourages Indebted Americans to Guilt-spend Just in Time for Christmas

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

19. IRC Proceedings: Friday, November 26, 2021

IRC logs for Friday, November 26, 2021

20. 38+ Years of GNU and 19+ Years of FSF Associate Membership

“On November 25, 2002,” Wikipedia notes, “the FSF launched the FSF Associate Membership program for individuals.” As the above video points out, it all started almost 40 years ago.

21. Gemini as a Platform for Gamers

Contrary to what people often assume (or are led to assume), even without client-side scripting Gemini can accomplish a great deal; early adopters, many of whom are technical, test the limits of the very minimalistic (by design and intention) specification

22. Improved Workflows: Achievement Unlocked

Today we've completed a bunch of small projects that can make us more efficient (e.g. more Daily Links per day, more articles); the above video was recorded many hours ago to accompany the outline below

23. Links 26/11/2021: New Complaint About Microsoft Competition Crimes in Europe, EuroLinux 8.5, GhostBSD 21.11.24, and Kiwi TCMS 10.5 Released

24. Links 26/11/2021: F35 Elections, Whonix 16.0.3.7, OSMC's November Refresh With Kodi 19.3

25. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, November 25, 2021

IRC logs for Thursday, November 25, 2021

26. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, November 24, 2021

IRC logs for Wednesday, November 24, 2021

27. Links 25/11/2021: PHP 8.1.0 Released and Linux 5.15.5

28. IBM as Master of Hypocrisy

Free software projects and Free software developers have long been humiliated by corporations of Western misogynists, falsely claiming that the Free software community isn’t inclusive enough (these are shameless projection tactics; as a matter of public record, the exact opposite is true) and even the eradication of supposedly offensive language isn’t something IBM takes seriously

29. Links 25/11/2021: LibreOffice 7.2.3 and Mesa 21.2.6 Released

30. [Meme] So Desperate That Edge Cannot Even Exceed 4% That They Block Rival Web Browsers

Linux/Android/Free Software/GNU (they go by very many names/brands) may continue to grow to the point where Windows is as irrelevant as Blackberry; this means that Microsoft’s grip on the Web too has slipped — to the point where Microsoft frantically uses 'bailout' money to hijack LinkedIn, GitHub, etc. (it also rebrands almost everything as "Azure" or clown to fake a perception of growth)