11.09.08

Harry McCracken, Technologizer: Bribed by Microsoft

Posted in Microsoft, Vista 7, Windows at 8:34 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Ferrari laptop

THIS is part of a series of posts. For context, see:

The previous post explained why Tim Anderson had lost his credibility as a reporter. It’s about that laptop giveaway. Now we can add Harry McCracken to the same bucket. He even included an exclamation point in the headline of his pseudo-review, “Windows 7 First Impressions: Hey, This Looks Pretty Good!”

A few disclosures about the discussion of specific Windows 7 features that follows: So far, I’ve used Windows 7 for only a few hours, and only in preinstalled form on a Dell laptop loaned to me by Microsoft.

[...]

But for what it’s worth, W7 loads quickly and feels pretty darn zippy on the Dell notebook Microsoft loaned me, which is unencumbered by third-party adware and junkware.

He wrote about it some more, so it wasn’t a one-time thing. There are very few people out there who can tell the world about Vista 7 (well, based on hands-on experience) and many of them are bribed.

Harry McCracken received a $2,000 gift from Microsoft. Expect him to publish nice things about Microsoft and/or Windows in the future.

“I’ve been thinking long and hard about this, and the only conclusion I can come to is that this is ethically indistinguishable from bribery. Even if no quid-pro-quo is formally required, the gift creates a social obligation of reciprocity. This is best explained in Cialdini’s book Influence (a summary is here). The blogger will feel some obligation to return the favor to Microsoft.”

Former Microsoft manager

This post is also available in Gemini over at:

gemini://gemini.techrights.org/2008/11/09/harry-mccracken-bribed-by-ms/

1. Harry McCracken said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Just a few facts:

1) I received no “$2000 gift”–as I stated (and you quote), the laptop is a loaner which I will return to Microsoft.

2) Okay, one of your posts says that the laptop is on permanent loan and therefore indistinguishable from a gift. News to me–I received both verbal and written notification from Microsoft that they expect me to return it. And I will, most likely well before their deadline.

3) It was of some value for the first 40 hours or so after I received it, when I used it to use Windows 7 and develop some opinions about it. Once I received the code on DVD, I installed it on two machines I own, and haven’t used the loaner since (I may or may not use it further before returning it to Microsoft).

4) In one of your earlier posts, you discuss a “secret” Microsoft meeting and say that nobody there talked about it or the laptops distributed at it; I disclosed both the meeting and the laptop in my story, so that I had nothing to hide and readers could draw their own conclusions.

5) Every word I wrote about Windows 7 was my sincere take on it, and the fact that Microsoft loaned me a laptop had no impact; my credibility as a journalist is worth way, way more than $2000 and if I lose it, I lose everything. Even if I was willing to be bribed, it would be a moronic financial decision.

6) If you Google for me you’ll find that last year I quit a job that paid a -lot- more than $2000 rather than being forced to make decisions about editorial content based on money from a company I covered.

7) I have about 18 years of public track record of writing about Microsoft, and if you check it out (including stuff I’ve written since the post you quote) you’ll see that I’m hardly a shill for them.

You’re perfectly entitled to discuss this laptop loaner program and even express opinions on whether it has an impact on coverage of Windows 7; it’s a legitimate topic for discussion, which is one reason why I disclosed I’d accepted the loaner. But your posts would be far more effective if you stuck to the facts.

–Harry McCracken, editor, Technologizer

2. G. Michaels said,

November 10, 2008 at 1:13 am

@Harry:

I wouldn’t worry too much about this, Roy Schestowitz also employs (in his word) shills, nymshifters and munchkins that spew drivel about Microsoft everywhere, insult people and promote his website. So his credibility is right around the zero mark now. This guy:

is one of them, currently on loan from Slashdot. If you use Google Site Search for ‘twitter’ you’ll get an idea of how all that works.

And don’t be surprised if ‘twitter’ makes an appearance to insult you, your dog, family, etc. Apparently that’s his main task around here, partially hidden behind who-knows-how-many identities. A few days ago he was let loose on Alex Brown of ISO as well. Defending yourself from Roy’s libel can be an adventure in itself thanks to his cadre of loopy ninjas :)

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

November 10, 2008 at 5:18 am

The laptops were on “indefinite loan”. Only when Microsoft and the recipients got criticised for it did they claim that a return was really needed. It’s 2006 all over again.

4. pcolon said,

November 10, 2008 at 6:10 am

If I were to do a review of laundry detergent, handed a high end washer-dryer on an indefinite loan; would that add credibility to any positive remarks on the detergent?

5. Harry McCracken said,

November 10, 2008 at 10:57 am

I didn’t receive a laptop on indefinite loan; from the moment that Microsoft said it was distributing them, it stated that they were to be returned.

I have the advantage of having been at the “secret” event in question–which, of course, I disclosed that I attended, which is an odd thing to do with a secret meeting–and you’re smearing people without knowing what you’re talking about.

-Harry

November 10, 2008 at 11:06 am

Well, I don’t know what I can believe. My sources say it was an “indefinite loan”. Also see:

“Oh, and just a note, other than this loaner laptop, I receive zero compensation from Microsoft (or from any other entity), my regular job is covering my travel expenses to the conference, and I receive no advertising dollars from this website.”

It sounds like this chap considers his “loaner” (not “loaned”) laptop to be compensation.

Back in Vista days, bloggers were not required to return the laptops, either.

It seems to me like quite a few people are doing some ‘damage control’ at the moment.

7. stevetheFLY said,

November 10, 2008 at 11:39 am

“My sources say…” My ass! Which of your Usenet geek friends claimed to know someone who knew someone who heard something this time?

Roy, you are insulting, you are stirring hatred and mutual distrust in the community, you know that? You alone have caused much more damage to the Linux community than everything Microsoft could ever do.

Note: comment has been flagged for arriving from an incarnation of a known (eet), pseudonymous, forever-nymshifting, abusive Internet troll that posts from open proxies and relays around the world.

8. twitter said,

November 17, 2008 at 2:10 am

My opinion about this can be found here.

1. IRC Proceedings: Friday, February 26, 2021

IRC logs for Friday, February 26, 2021

2. Links 26/2/2021: Wine 6.3, Genode OS Framework 21.02

3. Links 26/2/2021: GNU Poke 1.0 is Out and Rocky Linux Leaves Microsoft GitHub

4. Microsoft's Status in Web Servers is So Bad That It Has Fallen Off Charts, is Now Partly Delisted

In several categories or criteria Microsoft is no longer even listed by Netcraft; the share has become rather minuscule during the pandemic, which convinced more companies to explore expense-cutting moves

5. We Take Away Your Freedom for Your Own Safety...

People are herded like cattle and protest/dissent will be demonised as part of the new norm; what will be the cost of the pandemic and will resistance to the status quo ever be permitted to resume?

6. EPO President Pushes Illegal Software Patents in South America (Over the Telephone With a Misleading New Puff Piece)

The EPO's "news" section has become worse than a form of distraction (from the EPO's internal rot); it celebrates illegal and unlawful practices, spreading them to other continents

7. The Free Software Foundation Warns Against Using Twitter

Richard Stallman said Twitter was OK because it was possible to use it without proprietary software; that's no longer the case, so the Free Software Foundation (FSF) speaks out against it. It speaks about it more than 3 months after the problem became a known one and also an irreversible one (maybe Twitter would have reversed the decision if the media or the FSF actually spoke about it early enough).

8. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, February 25, 2021

IRC logs for Thursday, February 25, 2021

9. Stéphane Bortzmeyer Explains Gemini Protocol (February 2021)

A recent talk from Stéphane Bortzmeyer about Gemini and what it is for (or why)

10. Links 26/2/2021: Istio 1.7.8 Announced, Blender 2.92, Firebird 3.0 Language Reference, FSF Against Twitter

11. Special Thanks to Mogz

Credit where it's due to Mogz

12. Modifying WordPress to Include Gemini Links in All Articles (Assuming a Canonical URL Form)

In order to promote the departure from the World Wide Web (where possible and suitable; sites with text don't typically need Web-like features) one can promote the analogous pages in one's Gemini capsule; we suggest a way of doing so in WordPress (the most widely used CMS)

13. Links 25/2/2021: RHEL for Open-Source Infrastructure, GNOME 40 Beta, LXPanel 0.10.1

14. IBM and Qt Don't Understand Free Software and They Now Impose Terms and Conditions on Who Qualifies for Use of Free Software Free of Charge

15. Techrights Gemini Capsule, Now With Over 35,000 Pages and Files

Blog posts combined with static (plain text) files are now 36,000+ in number, just for Gemini protocol alone; that number keeps growing as our conversion proceeds and evolves (our software will be released under terms of the AGPLv3)

16. Eventually, or Hopefully, Many People Will Come Back to What the Web Used to Be (Or Web Alternatives More Like the 'Old' Web)

With RSS feeds making a comeback and a resurgence of personal blogs we can take back the Web from a cabal of tech/Internet giants and social control media, censored, curated and spied on by oligarchy

17. If Wikipedia is Controlled by Corporations and Mobs, It Needs to Be 'Cancelled'

Facts have never truly mattered in social control media sites; it certainly seems as though Wikipedia now suffers the very same issue/deficit, allowing oligarchs and their companies to define what goes on in the world and which people Wikipedia should regard as persona non grata

18. GNU/Linux Reaffirms Its Status as the Universal and Inter-planetary Operating System

The operating system made for and by scientists (not business sharks and marketing cults) is winning the battle, and not only in this planet

19. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, February 24, 2021

IRC logs for Wednesday, February 24, 2021

20. Links 25/2/2021: Kali Linux 2021.1, Wine Launcher 1.4.46, and Google's Security Posing

21. Links 24/2/2021: MariaDB 10.5.9, Krita 4.4.3 Beta, and Debuginfod Server for Debian

22. Self-Host Your Videos, Take Full Advantage of HTML5 and Video Attributes

For self-hosting of videos over the World Wide Web (Gemini too can handle videos; its clients/browsers can, for example, link video files/URLs to external media players) it's worth reviewing the full set of features made available by the standards because a lot can be accomplished without JavaScript and without unnecessary bloat/complexity

23. Trying Out NoiseTorch to Reduce Background Sound/Noise in GNU/Linux

An introduction to noisetorch (or NoiseTorch), an application that helps create virtual microphones/devices with reduced background noise

24. How the Big Banks and OIN Can Whitewash Software Patents and Do Nothing Concrete About Patent Trolls

Response to the puff piece entitled "How the Big Banks and OIN Can Lock Out Patent Trolls with Enabled Publications"

25. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, February 23, 2021

IRC logs for Tuesday, February 23, 2021

26. How to Set Up a Gemini Server of Your Own, Even on a Simple Single-Board Computer

Using Agate to start one's own Gemini capsule (self-hosted) is a lot simpler than one might be inclined to believe; this is a detailed HOWTO, hoping to encourage more people to join Gemini space, which is fast-growing and free of garbage

27. Links 23/2/2021: Tails 4.16, Libinput 1.17, Fwupd 1.5.7, Firefox 86, NeoChat 1.1

28. The Word Master is Not Problematic in Most Contexts and Its Origin Hasn't a Connection to Slavery

Slavery is to the word "master" mostly disconnected; it might, however, be closely connected in the minds of racists or the agenda of highly racist corporations (profiting from racism) that look for ways to distract from their racism

29. On Misapplication, Misuse, Overuse and Abuse of Words (to Suit False Narratives)

It is looking like the word "abuse" has been extended to basically mean all sorts of things including the act of actually exposing real abuse

30. The Administrative Council Needs to Fix the EPO While It's Still Possible

EPO staff and former staff (pensioners) aren't happy and the it's the responsibility of the Administrative Council to do something before it's too late (the reputation of the Office is already severely harmed and it's unable/unwilling to recruit suitable and qualified people, both as examiners and managers, respectively)