02.05.11

Banshee’s Developer Quits Novell

Posted in Mono, Novell, Ubuntu at 1:54 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Banshee
Siouxsie and the Banshees

Summary: As Novell fizzles, its employees keep leaving and the latest one to say goodbye is Aaron Bockover

Canonical might wish to reconsider its inclusion (by default) of the Mono trap called Banshee — an inclusion which we covered for its dangers in:

Somebody in IRC has just told us that Aaron Bockover is leaving Novell. He wrote: “banshee guy is leaving novell… time to break out the fizzy? … might be good ammunition to convince ubuntu to stop shipping it” (it’s up for Canonical to decide really and it’s not too late as the next release is over 2 months away).

1. verofakto said,

February 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

While you “break out the fizzy” and start another slog against Canonical, you might want to actually read the source you quoted:

I will be starting at Rdio, where I expect to take Banshee into yet another new direction. I’m excited about the possibilities ahead, but will save my thoughts for another time.

I intend to continue to be involved in Banshee as an application and community. I am looking forward to again spending more time in the project.

Let me know if you need anything else. When should I expect your associates to start insulting me? Or do they get Saturdays off these days?

twitter Reply:

There is no Techrights slog, especially not one against Ubuntu or Canonical. Slogs is a form of information warfare innovated by Microsoft. It includes judicial extortion of free software users, poisoning of hardare standards, corruption of influential journalists and persistent harassment and slander of free software advocates.

Microsoft, Mono and Banshee boosters should not take much sollice in Bockover’s move to rdio or the demise of Novell. Rdio is some kind of flash based subscription music service, a model that has been consistently rejected in the market place. Bockover’s last work on Banshee was to “integrate” it with the patent bully, Amazon. If his present mission is to integrate Banshee with a subscription music service, we can all get a good laugh at non portable Zune 2.0, Plays for Sure. I’m sorry that Bockover thinks he has to do such things to make a living as Novell collapses. I’m even sorrier that he was so abused by Novell and their obvious undermining of software freedom on behalf of Microsoft, but I’m happy for everyone else that is now over. People with software talent should persue more honest occupations. There are many better ways to get buy that won’t stain a person’s resume like C#, Novell and Microsoft does.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Don’t worry too much about “verofakto”, which has an entire attack blog dedicated just to me.

There is desperation from the .NET community (“verofakto” — like Microsoft Florian– is a .NET developer). This stalker is trying to suggest that I “actually read the source” when in fact I read the entire post from Aaron Bockover before I prepared this post and the stalker cannot find factual inaccuracies as a result.

Don’t mix the FOSS community with the .NET community. They are not the same thing and the latter hates it when Mono is dismissed as an option.

twitter Reply:

I’m not too worried about this particular stalker. I’ve seen the silly attack site’s focus has shifted to you. The early posts were all a bunch of lies about me. The loser managed to get some google juice for a few months that could have been damaging to me in a job search. Now it looks like a desperate attempt to discredit Boycott Novell which the loser still tries below. The only weapons the stalkers have are trivial nit picking and baseless slander both of which backfire on them.

I did not see any factual inaccuracies either but thought to set the record straight by reading the blog myself and pointing out the ridiculousness of the stalker’s claims. Casual readers might not want to take the time to click through. Worse, the blog owner might delete or change the entry, so it’s a good idea to have independent verification of your opinion.

The stalker tried to pretend that this was not a blow to either Banshee or .NET but it is obviously a loss to both that Canonical and Gnome should take note of. Free software is resilient when there is real community interest but I don’t think that exists outside of Novell/Microsoft pay.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

IIRC, Novell owns Banshee copyrights, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens when Novell drops the project by the wayside. Will it be orphaned?

techwrongs Reply:

“stalker” – Is this gentleman sitting outside if your window looking in? Does he follow you to the market?

Does he keep you from sleeping at night?

I am going to guess that the answer is no, no, and no. Meaning he isn’t a stalker, calling him one is just another of your many lies.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

You appear not to be familiar with the notion called “Internet stalker”, aka “Cyberstalking”:

techwrongs Reply:

“It may include false accusations, monitoring, making threats, identity theft, damage to data or equipment, the solicitation of minors for sex, or gathering information in order to harass. The definition of “harassment” must meet the criterion that a reasonable person, in possession of the same information, would regard it as sufficient to cause another reasonable person distress.”

There is no evidence of any of wrong doing.

There have been no false accusations, making threats, identity theft, damaging your data or equipment, are you a minor perhaps that he has been soliciting for sex?

No, that’s not it.

You may be able to claim data gathering, but then that is something you would also be guilty of, now wouldn’t it?

twitter Reply:

Readers here have put up with weeks of your foul mouthed [1, 2] and baseless attacks on Roy’s character [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]. Your favorite activity is to call him dishonest and you repeat this claim in every appearance. Occasionally, you nit pick a little and try to twist your intentional misunderstanding into a lie on Roy’s part. At other times, you claim the site is self aggrandizement and irrational ego boosting.

There’s good reason to suspect Techwrongs, Clanky and a few other nyms are paid PR people. The first, noted above, is their strict adherence to regular working hours. The other is that the storms come and go on a regular basis. Here, for example, is a troll strom from 2008. The language and posting pattern is the same, despite the years separating that storm and this one. It’s like the same people reading from the same playbook. Taken all together, Microsoft boosters have wasted lots of time and money to harass Roy over the years.

techwrongs Reply:

“You have done all of the things a stalker does and you do it on regular business hours. Here’s a summary post of your activity here, so that Roy can tag the Techrwongs nym with.”

I have done none of the things a stalker has, to state that I have is libelous.

“Readers here have put up with weeks of your foul mouthed [1, 2] and baseless attacks on Roy’s character [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]. Your favorite activity is to call him dishonest and you repeat this claim in every appearance.”

I only see Roy and yourself complaining largely, this is indicative of acceptance by the larger audience. Deal with it.

” Occasionally, you nit pick a little and try to twist your intentional misunderstanding into a lie on Roy’s part. At other times, you claim the site is self aggrandizement and irrational ego boosting.”

Exactly what this site is. I haven’t misunderstood anything, nor have you proven that I have. You choose to attack me with fear uncertainty and doubt, I’m very sorry but you will be unable to win this argument without sharing facts.

I see that you are really upset now. I have angered the troll.

“Threats to continue this obnoxious behavior forever under a name you think is annoying. Of course there is much more where all of that came from. In all of Techwrong’s ranting, no real technical or ethical issue has ever been put forth. This activity would be considered harassment by any reasonable person.”

I offered to stay until such time as the lies stop. It is very easy to make me go away, simply stop lying. I suppose though that attacking me in your mind is a much simpler answer because honesty would destroy this site and everything that you stand for.

“There’s good reason to suspect Techwrongs, Clanky and a few other nyms are paid PR people. The first, noted above, is their strict adherence to regular working hours.”

Prove it. I make no money from Microsoft or Novel, it is on you to prove otherwise. This is just another of your many fabrications in your feeble attempt to discredit that which you otherwise cannot.

“The other is that the storms come and go on a regular basis. Here, for example, is a troll strom from 2008. The language and posting pattern is the same, despite the years separating that storm and this one. It’s like the same people reading from the same playbook.”

I don’t know who they were, but if they are like me they are here in support of free software, not because of funding from some PR firm as you would have anyone believe.

“Taken all together, Microsoft boosters have wasted lots of time and money to harass Roy over the years.”

Ahh yes, slander. I for one am no friend of Microsoft but I’m sure you will continue to pretend that I am so that you can continue your unfounded non-factual attack. You see though, it just makes you look a fool so please do continue my jester.

twitter Reply:

It’s funny how you defend your self with more of the same.

techwrongs Reply:

“It’s funny how you defend your self with more of the same.”

It’s funny how you are unable to defend yourself when cornered.

twitter Reply:

All you did was prove what an astroturfer you are. The only new thing you have asserted is that you represent readers of the site because no one bothered to reply to most of the hundreds of nasty comments you have made here over the last month. That’s almost as absurd as your claiming to advocate free software. No one but a full time stalker such as yourself has the time to deal with you and running people off is your goal. Everyone can see what you are doing if they bother to read, but few people bother to dig through your waste. This is the heart and soul of disruptive astroturfing. You pretend to be the community you wish to destroy.

techwrongs Reply:

“All you did was prove what an astroturfer you are.”

Yawn.

“The only new thing you have asserted is that you represent readers of the site because no one bothered to reply to most of the hundreds of nasty comments you have made here over the last month.”

Hurry along and make some new accounts to use to “prove me wrong”.

“That’s almost as absurd as your claiming to advocate free software.”

Says someone that drools I hate open source, except open source that fits my limited criteria.

“No one but a full time stalker such as yourself has the time to deal with you and running people off is your goal.”

More libel, you have no evidence of internet stalking, your speculation doesn’t even carry any weight. On the other hand, implying that I am a stalker for merely uncovering truths about Roys (and your) dishonesty is technically libel.

“Everyone can see what you are doing if they bother to read, but few people bother to dig through your waste.”

They certainly can. Other than yourself and Roy (with the exception of the op of the Likewise slander who pretended to defend hisself), crickets.

“This is the heart and soul of disruptive astroturfing. You pretend to be the community you wish to destroy.”

I have no wish to destroy any community, yet you grasp some imaginary assertion that I do. Such deceit.

“I don’t feel very cornered by your reasoning, but I would like for Roy to do something to keep you from disrupting the site. I get tired of dealing with it too.”

There really isn’t much Roy can do. As he said, all IPs come from a “cache server”. He could block me, but that would block everyone.

I have an alternative. Show a little honesty and integrity in reporting, and I will just magically go away.

The choice is yours, not mine. I’m not demanding anything criminal, quite the opposite really. Your continued harassment and implications that I am something or someone that I am not only damages this site further.

It is not me with the problem here, it is you, Twitter.

2. verofakto said,

February 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm

persistent harassment and slander of free software advocates.

Yes, my point exactly.

By the way, did Dr. Roy ever admit you nymshifted to “your_friend” with his blessing or did that get swept under the rug to avoid embarrassment? Sorry, I lost track. And are you still shilling for BoycottNovell over at Slashdot with your 40 accounts or did they finally block all your IP addresses?

3. verofakto said,

February 6, 2011 at 3:06 am

I posted a reply on my blog. I’m fairly sure you two can find it.

twitter Reply:

Thanks, but I doubt anyone will read it.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

It’s preaching to the choir of .NET boosters.

twitter Reply:

I doubt even they read it.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Either way, verofakto.NET’s obsession with Techrights is free publicity to us. He might as well carry on…

verofakto Reply:

Either way, verofakto.NET’s obsession with Techrights is free publicity to us.

Yes, I suppose in the same way your obsession with Novell and Microsoft is positive free publicity for them.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I see you’re comparing me to a company with almost 4,000 staff and 90,000 staff, respectively.

techwrongs Reply:

“Thanks, but I doubt anyone will read it.”

I did, it was quite insightful. I would recommend it to anyone with an open mind, and half a brain.

That wouldn’t be you however, twitter.

verofakto Reply:

Oh, I’m sorry you did not understand my analogy.

twitter Reply:

Everyone understands what you are doing.

4. Adrian Malacoda said,

February 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Mr. Techwrongs seems to be an annoying git with a persistent grudge, but I think it’s a stretch to assume that that alone implies he’s being paid to do it.

twitter Reply:

It might be a stretch for you to assume that, but I’ve had the same kinds of jerks following me around for about ten years. They have pestered me at Slashdot, on LUG lists and so on and so forth. Microsoft’s TE program is as organized and persistent as it is malicious, and we’ve seen from their training documents that they are taught to be abusive. It is easy for me to relate organizations like Anti-Slash, Linsux and hoards of jerks we see online every day to Microsoft TEs. These would just be another effort from more “respectable” Microsoft poison pens such as Dan Lyons, George Ou, Maurine O’Gara, Ed Bott and many others who regularly promote similar messages in more toned down forms in Microsoft’s vast publication empire. Some may be done by these “luminaries” themselves, as Dan Lyon’s nasty little fake Steve Jobs article series was, or they might be done by lesser, wanna be PR people like John Marriot who founded and ran Anti-Slash. I’ve never have the time to read, index and catalog my or Techright’s writing like some of the persistent trolls do and my faith in humanity is such that I can only believe that kind of effort would only be put forth for money.

Adrian Malacoda Reply:

Oh, I’ve got no doubt Microsoft would stoop to such a level. But I find it equally probable that some people don’t need to be paid to spout such dreck.

Reddit announced that they joined forces with FSF to create a logo for their membership campaign. Immediately some anti-FSF blowhards attacked the comment thread with ludicrous anti-Stallman garbage. I have no doubt that these people honestly, truly, believe the stuff they post.

twitter Reply:

There’s no way that Verofacto, Techwrongs, Robotron and other harassment nyms believe in anything other than pestering Roy and trying to smear Techrights. They consistently back Microsoft talking points and consistently trash everything having to do with free software as they nitpick and try to portray Roy as a liar. To do that, they frequently contradict themselves. A prankster might put forth a small portion of the effort they have and move on. These people have been at it for years, long enough for most people to grow up.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

AstroTurfers in USENET use these tactics too. To prevent the messenger from being quoted or referenced they retaliate against (e.g. insult) those who do and also try to stick a “liar” label on the messenger.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Maybe they were influenced by disinformation. The anti-Stallman PR campaign has also come from Microsoft lobbying groups such as CompTIA (there are examples that I documented). It’s enough to seed some malicious stuff and let it spread.

I agree.

NotZed Reply:

Being paid to do it would at least make some sense.

Otherwise they certainly appear to be quite disturbed and should seek professional help.

And I imagine techrights readers can spot a troll when they see one and don’t want to feed it. They do such a great job of embarrassing themselves all on their own.

5. Gizmo said,

February 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Quote: Taken all together, Microsoft boosters have wasted lots of time and money to harass Roy over the years.

Sorry but I disagre with you.
    It is quite usefull training for most activists out there.
    It is easy to discern their usual modus operandi.
    I would call this the equivalent internet version of ”thank you for smoking”

6. twitter said,

February 13, 2011 at 12:45 am

Here’s an example of the lengths big dumb companies will go to smear their opponents. We see the same kinds of attacks waged against free software all the time because the goals are the same. Big companies seek to coopt and discredit those opposed to them. The actors arrayed against progressive groups are:

lobbying firm Hunton and Williams. Hunton And Williams’ attorney Richard Wyatt, who once represented Food Lion in its infamous lawsuit against ABC News, was hired by the Chamber in October of last year. To assist the Chamber, Wyatt and his associates, John Woods and Bob Quackenboss, solicited a set of private security firms — HBGary Federal, Palantir, and Berico Technologies (collectively called Team Themis) — to develop tactics for damaging progressive groups and labor unions, in particular ThinkProgress, the labor coalition called Change to Win, the SEIU, US Chamber Watch, and StopTheChamber.com.

Tactics listed includes moles and fake leaks to discredit progressive groups. Note that the literal meaning of Themis is “that which is put in place” and that the Titan represents a sort or proto-justice. What a clever but pretentious name for unjust plants designed to win over the consensus of the poorly informed and intimidated.

The same “security” company is working to smear Wikileaks on behalf of Bank of America. Again, moles and fake documents are considered as well as stoking internal conflicts, massive trolling and other “pressure” to scare off “moderates”:

in addition to proposing to conduct cyber attacks on Wikileaks’ European-based infrastructure (complete with a picture of WL’s bomb shelter-housed servers), the proposal appears to recommend that these companies be paid to troll social media, like Twitter, to not only “identify risky behavior of employees” but also, presumably, “push the radical and reckless nature of wikileaks activities.” You know–the kind of trolling we often see…

The part about a witch hunt of “risky” employees is particularly troubling. It is apparent that these companies are run by paranoid bigots who will not tolerate the slightest hint of dissent in their own ranks and seek to ruin real dissent everywere.

It is further claimed that the US DoJ recommended these firms to BoA. US government agencies should be ashamed to be used as tools in this sort of business. We’ve seen pacifists, death penalty opponents and others placed on various terrorist watch lists. These leaked documents show that part of the aim of the runaway US police state is to protect the financial interests and reputations of select US companies.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Groklaw had both types of problems and it was extremely careful not to be “poisoned” by fake Comes/court exhibits or bad translations. Also new:

“As a long time reader of Groklaw, who got to hear all of the false accusations made against Groklaw by Darl McBride and others at SCO as they were made, it was delightful to see Groklaw being recognized as an accurate source by the Wall Street Journal.”

When you make big business suffer, expect retaliation. Novell IP addresses are still daemonising me, not just in this site but in others too (I was told by the webmasters). IBM too is daemonising its detractors based on what I heard from victims. It’s their modus operandi.

twitter Reply:

Updates from Salon, who’s reporter was a target of the smear. From the reporter, and from Salon. There’s excellent summary and opinion from Salon. The firms involved in the smear have come out with denials, apologies and scape goats.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Denials? Their reaction to this was more of a confirmation of their involvement.

twitter Reply:

BoA spokesman Scott Silvestri denied everything with a carefully worded statement that denies nothing. Salon notes that their denial, “they don’t say whether they hired Berico or Palantir, the firms that were coordinating the proposal, to do similar work, nor whether Hunton & Williams did.” Hunton & Williams refuses to comment. Berico CEO Guy Filippelli and COO Nick Hallam point fingers at flunkies and have disowned HBGary Federal.

Through all of this, we see how the rich and powerful do their dirty work through proxies. The levels of indirection used by BoA and other large firms make the story difficult to track for average readers and makes meaningless denials easy even when people dig up the emails. I look forward to more confirmation of this story.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

The connection to BoA cannot yet be shown, but others are more or less established and verified. On December 17th Julian Assange was brought out of jail (for nothing really, no conviction) and then alleged that the attacks on him & Wikileaks had all come from major banks, not the US government (which served as a front).

twitter Reply:

The cooperation between government and private business is one of the more disturbing revelations. The finger pointing and denials between these flunkies is to be expected and is a feature of proxy attacks. The lack of security exhibited by so called security firms hired by big companies is also expected as these banks all cooperate with and trust Microsoft on their desktops. It has been evident for a long time that the US government is more or less serving the businesses that it is supposed to regulate and intelligent people can talk about oligarchy, but this round of scandals unearths government involvement with firms that do a lot of dirty work and confirms the relationship that informed people could only speculate about before.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Which is exactly why Wikileaks has been a blessing. It helps redact and release a lot of documents that confirm this, which in turn leads the governments to doing exactly what those documents confirm (circular).

I strongly encourage people to watch the following video:

Remember who owns the media companies and who funds the vast majority of politicians.

twitter Reply:

Palantir also denies involvement, “Palantir Technologies does not build software that is designed to allow private sector entities to obtain non-public information, engage in so-called cyber attacks or take other offensive measures …” We shall see.

The point I’ve been making here is that the kind of “pressure” put on Techrights is often paid for. This is not the first time big companies have been caught doing this kind of thing but the evidence is more detailed and we are starting to see just how petty and thorough the rich and powerful really are in their attacks on perceived threats.

We should neither expect or tolerate that kind of behavior. It is immoral, illegal and completely self defeating. Most of these companies are government protected brands that depend on public good will. Astroturfing will blow back on them spectacularly. Who’s going to trust their money to a bank that wastes it paying thugs to harass their neighbors? Microsoft and Novell’s brands are broken in every way but they can always make things worse with more of the same old TE. These companies are imploding. In the mean time, we should all demand enforcement of standing laws against astroturfing and harassment.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Groklaw took interest in the subject because Pamela too — having caught SCO employees and Microsoft lobbying group commenting in her blog — is facing libel/strong criticism from outside her site (where she cannot see IP addresses) and a lady who spied on her and smeared her was paid by SCO and was used as an attack dog by Microsoft, based on subpoenas/discovery.

From Groklaw:

Let’s keep on eye on this…

twitter Reply:

Yes, I expect PJ to do a good job covering this because of her prior experience as a target.

The link between the Microsoft friendly US DoJ was what caught my eye. When BoA wanted to discredit a community, the DoJ knew who to call. As Salon put it

The very idea of trying to threaten the careers of journalists and activists to punish and deter their advocacy is self-evidently pernicious; that it’s being so freely and casually proposed to groups as powerful as the Bank of America, the Chamber of Commerce, and the DOJ-recommended Hunton & Williams demonstrates how common this is. These highly experienced firms included such proposals because they assumed those deep-pocket organizations would approve and it would make their hiring more likely.

I’m interested to see this lit fuse burn it’s way back to Preston Gates and Microsoft. We have Microsoft’s TE training documents and the company has been caught it numerous astrorturfing scandals. I’m hoping lawsuits and investigations dig up links between that and much of the ugliness of the web that people take for granted – smear campaigns, persistant harassment, foul mouthed thread hijacking and all the rest of that kind of trolling. It is obvious to me that Microsoft pays people to disrupt “enemy” forums such as Slashdot. I’d like to see confirmation of the nastier work and for the company to be forced to pay restitution.

A reasonable award for someone like PJ would be some multiple of Microsoft’s spending against her. This would send a message to companies, that if they are caught they will have to pay many times what they expected. PJ deserves the money.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Somebody who ran Slashdot had told me that there are PR agents manipulating it and some smears that we’re aware of — including from of IBM — are still in my inbox. The problem is that the FTC barks but never bites; it’s part of the same system. There need to be more federal bodies that defend people, not companies (whose people can individually be defended but not as a group).

1. Links 16/7/2018: Linux 4.18 RC5, Latte Dock v0.8, Windows Back Doors Resurface

2. Alliance for US Startups and Inventors for Jobs (USIJ) Misleads the US Government, Pretending to Speak for Startups While Spreading Lies for the Patent Microcosm

In the United States, which nowadays strives to raise the patent bar, the House Small Business Committee heard from technology firms but it also heard from some questionable front groups which claim to support "startups" and "jobs" (but in reality support just patents on the face of it)

3. 'Blockchain', 'Cloud' and Whatever Else Gets Exploited to Work Around 35 U.S.C. § 101 (or the EPC) and Patent Algorithms/Software

Looking for a quick buck or some low-quality patents (which courts would almost certainly reject), opportunists carry on with their gold rush, aided by buzzwords and hype over pretty meaningless things

4. PTAB Defended by the EFF, the R Street Institute and CCIA as the Number of Petitions (IPRs) Continues to Grow

Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) inter partes reviews (IPRs) come to the rescue when patently-bogus patents are used, covering totally abstract concepts (like software patents do); IPRs continue to increase in number and opponents of PTAB, who conveniently cherry-pick Supreme Court (SCOTUS) decisions, can't quite stop that

5. IAM/Joff Wild May Have Become a de Facto Media Partner of the Patent Troll iPEL

Invitation to trolls in China, courtesy of the patent trolls' lobby called "IAM"; this shows no signs of stopping and has become rather blatant

6. Cautionary Tale: ILO Administrative Tribunal Cases (Appeals) 'Intercepted' Under António Campinos

The ILO Administrative Tribunal (ILO-AT) is advertised by the EPO's management as access to justice, but it's still being undermined quite severely to the detriment of aggrieved staff

7. Asking the USPTO to Comply With 35 U.S.C. § 101 is Like Asking Pentagon Officials to Pursue Real, Persistent Peace

Some profit from selling weapons, whereas others profit from patent grants and litigation; what's really needed right now is patent sanity and adherence to the public interest as well as the law itself, e.g. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) decisions

8. BT and Sonos Are Still Patent Bullies, Seeing Patents as a Backup Plan

The companies seeking to complement their business (or make up for their demise) using patents are still suing rivals while calling that litigation "research and development" (the same old euphemism)

9. Jim Skippen, a Longtime Patent Troll, Admits That the Trolling Sector is Collapsing

Canada's biggest patent troll (WiLAN) bar BlackBerry doesn't seem to be doing too well as its CEO leaves the domain altogether

10. From East Asia to the Eastern District of Texas: XYZ Printing, Maxell, and X2Y Attenuators

The patent aggression, which relies on improper litigation venues, harms innocent parties a great deal; only their lawyers benefit from all this mess

11. Links 14/7/2018: Mesa 18.1.4, Elisa 0.2.1, More on Python's Guido van Rossum

12. Number of Oppositions to Grants/Awards of European Patents at the EPO Has Skyrocketed, Based on Internal Data

The number of challenged patents continues to soar and staff of the EPO (examiners already over-encumbered by far too much work, due to unrealistic targets) would struggle to cope or simply be compelled to not properly deal with oppositions

13. 'Transaction' Complete: Former EPO Executive From Belgium Takes the Seat of António Campinos at EU-IPO

Rumours that Belgium made a back room deal with Battistelli may be further substantiated with the just-confirmed appointment of Archambeau

14. EPO Abuses Against People With Disabilities Followed by Legal Bullying?

The new President of the EPO is not (at least not yet) obeying court rulings from ILO; The above move seems like an attempt to derail ongoing cases at the ILO’s Administrative Tribunal (ILO-AT), i.e. yet more strong-arming

15. Weeks Later António Campinos Still in Noncompliance With the Courts (ILO's Tribunal)

'report card' for the ever-so-intransparent (or nontransparent) new President of the EPO, who does not even bother obeying court rulings

16. Links 13/7/2018: Kube 0.7.0, Trisquel 8.0 LTS Reviewed

17. Constitutionality and CJEU as Barriers, the UPC Agreement (UPCA) is Already Moot in the United Kingdom

The Unified Patent Court (UPC) isn't going anywhere and the UK merely "explores" what to do about it; for Team UPC, however, this means that the UK "confirms intention to remain in Unitary Patent system after Brexit" (clearly a case of deliberate misinformation)

18. It's Not About EPO 'Backlog' But About Faking 'Production' by Lowering Standards

Remarks on the EPO dropping all pretenses of genuine care for patent quality; it's all about speed now, never mind if wrongly-granted patents can cause billions in damages across Europe (a lot of that money flows towards patent law firms)

19. Links 12/7/2018: GTK+ 4.0 Plans, OpenBSD Gains Wi-Fi “Auto-Join”

20. The Anti-35 U.S.C. § 101 Lobby Pushes Old News Into the Headlines in an Effort to Resurrect/Protect Software Patents

The software patenting proponents (law firms for the most part) are still doing anything they can -- stretching even months into the past -- in an effort to modify the law in defiance of Supreme Court (SCOTUS) rulings

21. Thomas Massie and Marcy Kaptur Are Promoting the Interests of Patent Trolls and Patent Lawyers While Calling That “Innovation”

Remarks on the ongoing effort to promote patent trolls’ interests under the guise of “helping small businesses” — a very misleading propaganda pattern that we have been finding in Unified Patent Court (UPC) lobbying at the EPO

22. Links 12/7/2018: Mesa 18.1.4 RC, Curl 7.61.0

23. Texas: When Trade Secret 'Damages' Are Almost 1,000 Times Higher Than Patent 'Damages'

It's possible to deal with conflicts and disputes using means other than patents; a new trade secret misappropriation case and a new study from Ofer Eldar (Duke Law) and Neel Sukhatme (Georgetown Law) bring examples from Texas

24. Cellspin Soft Will Likely Need to Pay the Accused Party's Lawyers Too After Frivolous Litigation With Patents Eliminated Under 35 U.S.C. § 101

Pursuing bogus (questionable) patents and going even further by asserting them in court can be worse than a waste of time and money; it can actually cause the target of assertion to be compensated (legal fees) at the plaintiff’s expense — a critical fact largely ignored by the patent ‘industry’

25. The Lack of Genuine, Honest Discussion About Patent Quality Means That Under António Campinos Software Patents Will Continue to be Granted, Campinos Strives to Make Them 'Unitary'

The agenda of the litigation 'industry' is still being served by the existing EPO administration; this is a problem because not only do they grant patents on just about anything but they also attempt to broaden litigation jurisdiction

26. Links 11/7/2018: Xen 4.11, Ubuntu Infographics, Lockbox and Notes

27. Links 10/7/2018: Wine 3.12, FreeNAS 11.2 Beta, GNU Helps Journalism

28. Patent Trolls Rally/Advertise Thomas Massie's Bill to Abolish PTAB and Promote Software Patents in the US

Vocal patent maximalists (or think tanks of the litigation 'industry') want us to think that the US is too restrictive when it comes to patents (the opposite is true) and tries to change the law so as to plague/saturate the system with patent lawsuits they stand to gain from at the expense of practicing companies

29. The Demise of East Texan Courts and the Ascent of PTAB, Alice and a SCOTUS-Compliant CAFC May Mean That US Software Patents Are Officially 'Dead'

Companies come to grips with the need to divest and distance themselves from abstract patents; such patents are simply not tolerated by courts anymore (even if patent offices continue granting many such patents for the sake of profit)

30. Signs of Upcoming Changes at EPO: Raimund Lutz, Željko Topić and Other 'Team Battistelli' Folks Are Being Replaced

Vice-Presidents of DG1, DG4 and DG5 are being replaced just over a week after the Campinos tenure began (decisions actually made last week); Might this suggest the imminent implosion of so-called 'Team Battistelli'?

CoPilotCo