Re: SPI and people's dignity

Fernando,

I figured this might happen. You've been sending an awful lot of material to
debian-admintool. Much of it attempts to push the group in directions they
don't want to go, and your arguments have been less than convincing.
One important lesson I've learned in leading a group of volunteers is that
I can only lead where they want to follow.

I have a duty to the group to get the admintool project done. I try my very
best to be nice to everyone while doing that, and I want the project to be that
way as a whole, but getting the job done has a higher priority than pleasing
every last individual.

In this case, I've done my best to get some of your ideas into the project,
and it hasn't been enough. As you see things aren't going your way, your
postings get more heated, and larger. A good number of people have simply
become sick of reading them.

My dignity suffers a whole lot in my daily participation on the Debian
mailing lists. I shrug it off, for the most part, for the good of the project.
I enforce rules of discourse on the mailing lists, but I will not let you
manipulate me through those rules to get your way.

If you have the emotional strength to do it, I'd advise you to continue
participating in the admintool development, but in a lower-key manner. Take
a look at where the others want to go, and don't attempt to force them to
accept your ideas if they don't agree with them after a simple argument.

If your dignity won't allow you to continue participating, I will be sorry
to see you go.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.debian.org for PGP public key.