Re: Deity project schedule problems

> > Unfortunately, you cannot set deadlines for volunteers and expect them
> > to put their lives on the line for it (so to speak).  It's the nature of
> > the beast for which we work.
>
> You can expect time commitments from volunteers, and the main function of
> their manager is to find more volunteers when they can't make their time
> commitments. And about us putting their lives on the line for Debian, some
> of us do give up a lot of our lives for it. We can't expect that, we can
> only appreciate it when it happens.

Perhaps you have not heard of "The Mythical Man-Month".  You cannot just
add developers and expect the project to catch up.

> > Deity is not "closed" in that we've tried to isolate ourselves.  Anybody can
> > post to the deity list.
>
> But nobody but the in-group can read it. Not good.

Take your pick: public-read or public-write.  You can't have both because
that adds huge amounts of noise.  I chose the one I thought would be the
best for getting information to the Deity team.  As they are the ones doing
the work, I chose to support them.  I'm sorry if you don't agree with
that decision.

> > The source is closed because stock CVS doesn't allow read-only access.
>
> So please put a directory on an FTP site that is checked out daily by a cron
> script. We don't really need to get the code out of CVS just to look at it.

I don't have the ability to do that.  Since not one single person has
requested to see it that was not on the team, I never bothered to make
an effort.

> > I think it's obvious why we can't open write-access to everybody.
>
> You could accept patches.

We would.  Patches are not useful right now because the code is too young.
When it became public (i.e. a released work), then patches would be accepted
gratefully.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )