11.09.08

Microsoft: Big Offender of Privacy

Posted in Google, Law, Microsoft, Vista 7 at 8:20 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

A couple of days ago we wrote about Hotmail and GNU/Linux. Microsoft seems unwilling to adapt to the Web and also depart from a ‘Microsoft Web’. It’s more interested in Internet abduction [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].

Microsoft also hypocritically accuses Google of not honouring privacy, neglecting to account for its own behaviour which is far worse. As a timely example, here is a new Vista 7 story which spurred plenty of discussion.

Windows 7 Will Let Microsoft Track Your Every Move

[...]

While geo-aware locations are certain a hot item in the software world right now, they’re also at the heart of many ongoing privacy debates. Unfortunately Microsoft’s new feature is exactly the sort of thing that turns people’s mild suspicions into full, raging paranoia.

[...]

That strikes us as a recipe for disaster and something that will eventually blow up in Microsoft’s face (whether justified or not) because geo-tracking is a very sensitive issue and this implementation seems entirely ham-fisted and ill-conceived. Of course it’s a little better than past attempts by the company, which don’t even offer an on/off switch.

But why, for the love of all thing sane, would Microsoft not at least offer to notify you when an app is trying access geo-information? Indeed, that would be a good start. Then add the ability to deny the application access and you’re getting to the useful stage. Unfortunately, Microsoft reps tell CNet that such controls are “not currently on Microsoft’s roadmap for Windows 7.”

Windows already incorporates forensics (e.g. for police enforcement) under the guise — or excuse rather — of indexing and performance. Many of these issues were covered here before, accompanied with evidence. It’s a very broad and separate subject though.

Obeying laws and enforcing them obtrusively is one thing, but sometimes it goes too far. Sent to us last night was the following complaint about Microsoft’s behaviour:

I have an email which I cannot access. It is a free service called Hotmail.

“My lawyer said that I am entitled to compensation because they keep passing my sensitive private information with my address DOB photo around to third parties and now requesting more info from me.”For some reason, if the DOB has been entered incorrectly and needs updating, they REQUEST PERSONAL INFORMATION and they can use [it] to steal one’s identity.

I have sent them hundreds of emails and getting nowhere. I would like to go public to let others know what I am going through and they are in violation of privacy laws. They won’t provide a full contact name nor any contact details. I use the email for work and they simply send automated emails rather than getting off their butts and doing something about it. They say that it is Federal Trade Commission in US, I am not in the US I am in Australia and I have explained to them we do not have Federal Trade Commission and that they are requesting fictitious information. Well, I need my email address with all my work information and wondered if you know how I can go public with this as I feel this may be the only way to get something done about it. My lawyer said that I am entitled to compensation because they keep passing my sensitive private information with my address DOB photo around to third parties and now requesting more info from me.

Any thoughts?

1. Eruaran said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:01 am

Giving personal information to third parties without someone’s consent is indeed a violation of Australian privacy laws.

Take them to court and make them pay.

2. pcolon said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:48 am

First off by using a Microsoft “service”, you’re aiding & abetting a convicted monopolist (convicted in the USA and in EU).

Second; why would you be handing off personal information to a convicted felon?

November 9, 2008 at 2:26 pm

It’s a bit more complicated than that. My ex girlfriend has had the same Hotmail account since before Microsoft bought Hotmail. People’s E-mail addresses are hard to change because of people’s address books.

4. pcolon said,

November 9, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I could understand that, Back when I was doing contract work (travelin SAN architect, I had one E-Mail that was used for any contacts workwise and the other for friends & family. When I changed my address and moved my isp service, they changed my E-Mail account name without any notice. Clients kept telling me what was up with my e-mail? It was a real PIA tracking people and letting them know the new e-mail addr.

5. DOUGman said,

November 9, 2008 at 8:22 pm

“People’s E-mail addresses are hard to change because of people’s address books”….Bollocks, some people are just lazy, I started using Hotmail back in 96′ and just emailed everyone from that account, that if they want to contact me via email, that they have to use my Gmail account for now on.

D.

6. Jose_X said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Keep the old accounts, but don’t reply using that address or advertise it.

November 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Yes, that’s what I do.

1. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, February 07, 2023

IRC logs for Tuesday, February 07, 2023

2. When the Pension Vanishes

Today we commenced a multi-part mini-series about pensions and what happens when they suddenly vanish and nobody is willing to explain where all the money went

3. Sirius 'Open Source' Pensiongate: An Introduction

The Sirius ‘Open Source’ series continues in the form of a mini-series about pensions; it’s part of an ongoing investigation of a deep mystery that impacts people who left the company quite a long time ago and some of the lessons herein are applicable to any worker with a pension (at times of financial uncertainties)

4. Links 07/02/2023: Endless OS 5.0 and Voice.AI GPL Violations

5. No Doubt Microsoft Unleashed Another 'Tay', Spreading Bigotry Under the Guise of Hey Hi (AI)

Reprinted with permission from Ryan

6. Links 07/02/2023: Fedora 39 Development Plans Outlines

7. IRC Proceedings: Monday, February 06, 2023

IRC logs for Monday, February 06, 2023

8. Links 06/02/2023: Escuelas Linux 8.0 and Many Political Issues

9. Links 06/02/2023: Sparky 6.6 and IPFire 2.27 – Core Update 173

10. Taking Back Control or Seizing Autonomy Over the News Cycle (Informing People, Culling the Marketing)

11. Reality Versus Fiction: EPO Insiders Versus EPO Web Site and UPC 'Churnalists'

The "official" sources of the European Patent Office (EPO), as well as the sedated "media" that the EPO is bribing for further bias, cannot tell the truth about this very large institution; for proper examination of Europe's largest patent office one must pursue the interpretation by longtime veterans and insiders, who are increasingly upset and abused (they're being pressured to grant patents in violation of the charter of the EPO)

12. Links 06/02/2023: Linux 6.2 RC7 and Fatal Earthquake

13. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, February 05, 2023

IRC logs for Sunday, February 05, 2023

14. Links 05/02/2023: Wayland in Bookworm and xvidtune 1.0.4

15. Links 05/02/2023: Pakistan Blocks Wikipedia, Musharraf Dies

16. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, February 04, 2023

IRC logs for Saturday, February 04, 2023

17. Links 04/02/2023: FOSDEM Happening and Ken Thompson in SoCal Linux Expo

18. 2023 is the Year Taxpayers' Money Goes to War and Energy Subsidies, Not Tech

Now that a lot of powerful and omnipresent ‘tech’ (spying and policing) companies are rotting away we have golden opportunities to bring about positive change and maybe even recruit technical people for good causes

19. Getting Back to Productive Computer Systems Would Benefit Public Health and Not Just Boost Productivity

“Smartphoneshame” (shaming an unhealthy culture of obsession with “apps”) would potentially bring about a better, more sociable society with fewer mental health crises and higher productivity levels

20. Links 04/02/2023: This Week in KDE and Many More Tech Layoffs

21. Dotcom Boom and Bust, Round 2

The age of technology giants/monopolies devouring everything or military-funded (i.e. taxpayers-subsidised) surveillance/censorship tentacles, in effect privatised eyes of the state, may be ending; the United States can barely sustain that anymore and raising the debt ceiling won't solve that (buying time isn't the solution)

22. Society Would Benefit From a Smartphoneshame Movement

In a society plagued by blackmail, surveillance and frivolous lawsuits it is important to reconsider the notion of “smart” phone ownership; these devices give potentially authoritarian companies and governments far too much power over people (in the EU they want to introduce new legislation that would, in effect, ban Free software if it enables true privacy)

23. IRC Proceedings: Friday, February 03, 2023

IRC logs for Friday, February 03, 2023

24. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, February 02, 2023

IRC logs for Thursday, February 02, 2023

25. Links 03/02/2023: Proton 7.0-6 Released, ScummVM 2.7 Testing

26. Links 03/02/2023: OpenSSH 9.2 and OBS Studio 29.0.1

27. Links 03/02/2023: GNU C Library 2.37

28. Sirius Finished

Yesterday I was sent a letter approving my resignation from Sirius ‘Open Source’, two months after I had already announced that I was resigning with immediate effect; they sent an identical letter to my wife (this time, unlike before, they remembered to also change the names!!)

29. The Collapse of Sirius in a Nutshell: How to Identify the Symptoms and Decide When to Leave

Sirius is finished, but it's important to share the lessons learned with other people; there might be other "pretenders" out there and they need to be abandoned

30. Links 03/02/2023: WINE 8.1 and RapidDisk 9.0.0