Bonum Certa Men Certa

The EPO's War on Justice and Assault on the Law -- Part 8: The Radical Student “Brotherhood”

Previously in this series:

Per Wirtén, Andreas Miller and Alf HÃ¥kan Bengtsson
Per Wirtén, Andreas Miller and Alf HÃ¥kan Bengtsson – what would these former student radicals make of Josefsson's abandonment of the libertarian left-wing principles that he once claimed to espouse?

Summary: The latest part in this series explores the roots of Judge Josefsson; that can help explain how Benoît Battistelli constructed his stacked EPO 'court', which he and António Campinos basically control to rubber-stamp whatever illegal practices they engage in (in pursuit of money and power, at the expense of the law)

During his student days in Sweden, Carl Josefsson was associated with a group of left-wing libertarian "intellectuals" including Per Wirtén, Andreas Miller and Alf HÃ¥kan Bengtsson.

Wirtén, Bengtsson and Miller - subsequently pursued relatively prominent careers in journalism. Miller is now the chairman of Ledarna, which is an idiosyncratically Swedish institution: a trade union for managers!

"Miller is now the chairman of Ledarna, which is an idiosyncratically Swedish institution: a trade union for managers!"According to Swedish sources, the members of this group, including Josefsson - were affiliated to the "Social Democrats for Faith and Solidarity", a branch of the Swedish Social Democratic Party with a distinctly religious tinge of Lutheranism, and more commonly known as "Broderskapsrörelsen" ("Brotherhood Movement").

Josefsson's closest "brother" in this group was Per Wirtén.

"Josefsson's closest "brother" in this group was Per Wirtén."Wirtén's journalistic career began as the editor of a pro-Palestinian student newsletter "Palestinian Front". In the late 1980s, together with Josefsson, he started a radical youth magazine called "800 degrees", which was published under the sponsorship of the "Brotherhood Movement". The magazine's title came from a protest song by the Swedish punk band Ebba Grön.

Later on, one evening in the early 1990s, Wirtén and Josefsson met with Andreas Miller in Stockholm's famous Café Opera and the trio started talking about setting up a new progressive magazine.

At a second meeting which took place in the Pelikan Restaurant in the Södermalm district of Stockholm, Alf Håkan Bengtsson was also invited to attend.

Café Opera and the Pelikan Restaurant in Stockholm
Café Opera and the Pelikan Restaurant in Stockholm – favourite haunts of Josefsson and his student friends.

These discussions ultimately led to the setting-up of a new magazine containing reports, interviews and essays on politics and culture from a libertarian left-wing perspective.

The magazine first appeared in 1993 under the name "Politikens, kulturens & idéernas arena". In 2003 the name was shortened to "Arena" and in 2017 the magazine switched to online-only format.

"Arena" is published by Arenagruppen, a non-profit association which describes itself as "the leading progressive platform for public debates in Sweden". Arenagruppen operates as a non-partisan left-wing think-tank, publisher and interface for various political, civil, academic and trade unionist actors. The CEO of Arenagruppen is one of the founders of the Arena magazine, Alf HÃ¥kan Bengtsson.

"The CEO of Arenagruppen is one of the founders of the Arena magazine, Alf HÃ¥kan Bengtsson."According to its website, Arenagruppen aims "to promote a public debate characterized by breadth and diversity":

"We strive for different voices to be heard. Conversation, dialogue and mutual respect are the basis of a viable democracy. We have a strong belief in the possibilities of democracy. Democracy is a way of making decisions about our common affairs but also an ideal. Hierarchical and authoritarian ideas are in opposition to our view of democracy. Structures and values ​​that hinder the free development of human beings should be criticized."

Per Wirtén was editor-in-chief of the "Arena" magazine until 2010. Since then he has operated as a freelance journalist and author, amongst other things writing for the Swedish daily newspapers Expressen, Sydsvenskan, and the website DagensArena.

"In 2017 Eva Wirtén was awarded an Advanced Investigator Grant from The European Research Council for the project 'Patents as Scientific Information, 1895-2020 (PASSIM)."In his personal blog, Wirtén has occasionally given a plug to articles by Carl Josefsson to whom he refers as "my old buddy" ("min gamla kompis").

For example, in 2014, Wirtén praised a piece by Josefsson which had appeared in the Svenska Dagbladet:

"His article is about the difficult relationship between legal interpretation and democracy. […] Calle [Josefsson] lays it out clearly. The law can not be legitimized by any natural rights but only through democratic discussions and decision-making processes. The rule of law and self-determination are the two fundamental foundations of democracy and cannot be separated."

In 2015, under the heading "Lawyers seize power" Wirtén plugged another article by Josefsson which had been published in the Svensk Juristtidning.

"We cannot stand idly by in the face of the lawyers' claims to power. It is time to wake up. We need to learn more about the relationship between democracy and law. […] We can start by reading an article in Svensk Juristtidning (1/2015) in which Carl Josefsson writes both educationally and polemically. Almost 25 years ago, he was one of the initiators of the Arena magazine and is now a member of the Court of Appeal. […] Josefsson refers to the German legal philosopher Jürgen Habermas, who argues that the role of the courts is not to guard the boundaries of politics (the liberal tradition) but to enable democracy by broadening its conditions. […]

Law is thus not above democracy, but should be immersed in the cascades of debate, quarrel and chatter that we perceive as the lifeblood of democracy."

"They sound like the kind of people who might be interested in the governance of international IP offices."Per Wirtén's wife, Eva Hemmungs Wirtén, is Professor of Mediated Culture at Linköping University, Sweden. She describes herself as "an interdisciplinary scholar with a broad set of research interests, ranging from book history to the history of information and patents" and has authored a number of books on intellectual property topics, including a history of intellectual property rights [sic] and regulations entitled "No Trespassing: Authorship, Intellectual Property Rights, and the Boundaries of Globalization" (2004).

"No Trespassing" surveys the landscape of IP law in general, and copyright law in particular, and investigates how IP law has become the handmaiden of a greedy and rapacious transnational capitalism.

Carl Josefsson gets a mention in the preface to "No Trespassing" as one of "those persons who have carefully read and commented on the manuscript in its various stages of completion".

In 2017 Eva Wirtén was awarded an Advanced Investigator Grant from The European Research Council for the project 'Patents as Scientific Information, 1895-2020 (PASSIM).

She is a frequent contributor to academic journals and some of her publications can be found on ResearchGate.

In "How Patents Became Documents, or Dreaming of Technoscientific Order" (2019; local copy [PDF]) she makes the following critical observations about the international patent system:

"Indeed, one wonders whether Eva Wirtén has ever broached the topic with her husband's old buddy, "Calle" Josefsson.""Perhaps more so than any other intellectual property, patents have come to epitomize an intellectual property regime gone berserk. Given controversies surrounding the relative success or failure of the current intellectual property regime, for many patents now symbolize the dark underbelly of an ongoing and dangerous commodification of knowledge in research and science …".

In "Out of Sight and Out of Mind" (2020; local copy [PDF]) she presents a critique of "the cultural hegemony of intellectual property". Referring to the "[t]he hair-raising absurdities of an ever-expanding intellectual property regime ... [that] appear to have no boundaries, moral or otherwise" she explains how intellectual property rights [sic] "within the larger context of globalization ... produce a very specific, unequal ordering of the global cultural and political economy".

Eva Wirtén is an executive director of the International Society for the History and Theory of Intellectual Property (ISHTIP). ISHTIP is an academic group which "promotes and supports scholarly investigation of the national histories of patent, copyright, and “related” rights; the diverse “roads not taken” in the evolution of these legal structures; contemporary countertrends; and the laws and norms that have been devised in non European cultures around the world to manage intellectual production and exchange".

"On the contrary, the only things Josefsson seems to be concerned about these days are production figures and "timeliness"."According to its website, ISHTIP "works to promote, coordinate, and disseminate critical inquiry into IP", and its aims are "to re-frame – to broaden and deepen – current IP debate".

They sound like the kind of people who might be interested in the governance of international IP offices. Indeed, one wonders whether Eva Wirtén has ever broached the topic with her husband's old buddy, "Calle" Josefsson.

That seems like a rather remote possibility because Josefsson himself seems to have decisively cast off the outer veneer of radicalism and "social democracy" which he cultivated in his student days.

Since he took over the helm at the Boards of Appeal there hasn't been much sign of "the cascades of debate, quarrel and chatter that we perceive as the lifeblood of democracy".

"One is left to wonder what his former "brothers" - Per Wirtén, Andreas Miller and Alf HÃ¥kan Bengtsson - would make of "Calle" and his abandonment of the libertarian left-wing principles that he once claimed to espouse?"On the contrary, the only things Josefsson seems to be concerned about these days are production figures and "timeliness".

One is left to wonder what his former "brothers" - Per Wirtén, Andreas Miller and Alf HÃ¥kan Bengtsson - would make of "Calle" and his abandonment of the libertarian left-wing principles that he once claimed to espouse?

In the next part we will take a closer look at how "social democracy" has fared at the EPO's Boards of Appeal since Josefsson took up his position in Haar in March 2017.

Recent Techrights' Posts

WikiLeaks Wonders: Major Leaks That Shook the Worlds
Published 14 hours ago
No Outage Here
Microsoft seems to have lost control of the narrative
Microsoft Has Managed to Make GNU/Linux Users Scared of Updating Their GNU/Linux PCs (Thanks to UEFI 'Secure' Boot's Boosters!)
How many people know who's responsible for this mess?

High Adoption Rates for GNU/Linux in Albania, According to statCounter
Albania has been a central point of some GNOME and diversity scandals
It'll Soon Be Half a Decade Since COVID-19's Breakout, We Still Need Verified Facts (Not Corporate Dogma) and Proper Media Reporting
COVID-19 has meant different things to different people
For the First Time, Microsoft's "Market Share" in North Macedonia Falls to Only a Quarter
Microsoft only has Windows
Evan Versus Julian
Published by Julian Assange's wife some hours ago
What The Internet Can Achieve When Put in the Hands of the Good People and Not Censored by the People Who Already Control the Mass Media
albeit Wikileaks put that in social control media owned and controlled by oligarchs
IRC Proceedings: Saturday, July 20, 2024
IRC logs for Saturday, July 20, 2024
Over at Tux Machines...
GNU/Linux news for the past day
[Meme] Hate Speech
This is also what makes TikTok so dangerous
Shark-infected Water on the Web
Don't turn Gemini into another "Web"
OpenHarmony, HarmonyOS Next, Deepin, Kylin, and openKylin: How China's Various Manoeuvres Away From Windows Get Covered in the West
Kylin was openly based on Ubuntu
Links 20/07/2024: Tesla's UK Lawsuit for 5G Patents Licence Thrown Out by UK Court, Censorship Examples Surface
Links for the day
Gemini Links 20/07/2024: Why Sleep Is So Important, Bot Problems Online
Links for the day
[Meme] Truth Hurts
"Saying that I physically assaulted women is 'defamation'"
Techrights Turns 18 in About 3 Months
Nothing can stop us
When (Software) Freedom is the Goal
Freedom of thought also
Giving the False Impression That the R blogosphere is Microsoft's Microcosm
Curation that culls "astrotrufing" isn't censorship but quality control for relevance
Expect Many More Microsoft Layoffs After the Latest Windows Outages (Bonus: More Media Says Microsoft Has Cut Half the Staff in Nigeria)
after the latest worldwide blunder we can expect many businesses to gradually ditch Windows
Today GNU/Linux Broke All-Time Record in statCounter Again
Expect more people to hop over to GNU/Linux after the Windows fiasco
Joab Jackson and "The New Stack" Publishing Microsoft Spam (E.E.E. Against Linux) for a Payment From Microsoft
It's not a real news site
Links 20/07/2024: Patents on Software Squashed, Further Attacks on Independent News Sites
Links for the day
Links 20/07/2024: Shopping Mall in Southwestern China and New Health Crises
Links for the day
Microsoft/Windows Has Fallen Well Below 1% (Now 0.7%) in American Samoa
statCounter Sees Microsoft Windows at Below 1% in American Samoa
The Thelio Mega Is a Dual-GPU Linux Supercomputer
System76 sells many desktops and laptops built to run Linux. The company has now revealed its new high-powered Linux desktop, the Thelio Mega
[Meme] "System of a Down"
The latest international catastrophe kills people
Geminispace Growing and Getting More Free (Independent)
Because self-signed certificates are the way to go
Why Microsoft is Laying Off So Many People in Nigeria
Nigeria is a place Microsoft has lost
Over at Tux Machines...
GNU/Linux news for the past day
IRC Proceedings: Friday, July 19, 2024
IRC logs for Friday, July 19, 2024
Gemini Links 20/07/2024: Gopher Catchup and Old Computer Challenge
Links for the day
Microsoft Lays Off Half of Its Workforce in Nigeria
Microsoft continues to implode in Africa
Links 19/07/2024: Microsoft Breaks Down and Amdocs Has 1,500-3,000 More Layoffs
Links for the day
Washington's WARN Site/Portal (That Excludes Many Microsoft Layoffs) is Now Down for Many Hours, Microsoft Causes Major Outages and Incidents Worldwide (Even Deaths)
The mass layoffs (lots of them in Azure since 2020) probably worsen resilience and security some more
UEFI 'Secure Boot' Once Again Bricking PCs and Fake Security Models Are Perishing in Geminispace
Let's Encrypt has just fallen again
[Meme] Conservative (and Fake) Nuclear Physicist Bill Gates
Didn't even graduate from college, media treats him like a world-renowned expert in nuclear energy
The Gemini Capsule of Tux Machines Turns 2 in Six Days
Many people actually use Gemini, some participate in it by creating their own capsule (or capsules)
GNU/Linux Rises to 4% in Saudi Arabia, Says statCounter, Windows Has Fallen to 11% (Android Exceeds 60%)
Microsoft might soon fall below 10% in KSA (Saudi Arabia)
IRC Proceedings: Thursday, July 18, 2024
IRC logs for Thursday, July 18, 2024
GNU/Linux news for the past day
GNU/Linux news for the past day
1901 Days in High-Security Prison (and 8 More Years in Severe Confinement) for the 'Crime' of Exposing War Crimes and Corruption
Julian Assange clip
Opensource.org = Microsoft Lobbying (Openwashing)
Here's the latest pair of blog posts
In Northern Mariana Islands, Where Julian Assange Pled Guilty 4 Weeks Ago, Windows Remains Second to Android, and GNU/Linux Still Grows in Oceania
It was the first month ever that statCounter saw more Web requests there from Android than from Windows
If GitLab Gets Sold (Datadog and Google Named Among Potential Buyers), It'll Prove Our Point About GitLab
Beware the bait on the hook