02.29.08

Google for ‘Novell’, Get BoycottNovell

Posted in Google, Site News at 3:28 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

It appears as though this Web site has just entered page 1 (top 10) of the search results for the phrase “Novell”, at least in Google. This will not be very helpful to Novell’s business.

According to Google Trends, as time goes by, fewer people Google for “Novell”. See image below.

Novell's Google Trends chart

1. Anonymous said,

February 29, 2008 at 8:15 am

> This will not be very helpful to Novell’s business.

Keep on dreaming…

> According to Google Trends, as time goes by, fewer people Google for “Novell”.

Don’t search for “(red hat|redhat),novell” or you cannot dream anymore.

February 29, 2008 at 8:31 am

…or you cannot dream anymore.

…Says a SUSE/Novell employee ( charybdis-ext.suse.de ).

Welcome to the Web site.

3. Mark Fink said,

February 29, 2008 at 9:04 am

He’s just pissed off that we’re bringing them down.

Count your days being employed, they are coming to an end…

4. CoolGuy said,

February 29, 2008 at 10:58 am

LOL. Got pwned.

5. Francis G said,

February 29, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Oh, but wait, you ‘regret’ the site’s name and wish it wasn’t what it was? Right… Remind me your excuse for this again? I think it was a technical non-problem, right?

It is curious that you’re proud of the fact that you’re harming one of the biggest contributors to free and open source software ever. A company that wants the Linux desktop to succeed more than any other. A company that’s created and fostered the development of a really wonderful Linux distribution, openSUSE.

Even from a pragmatic and the most absurdly sceptical viewpoint it’s virtually impossible to argue that Novell is doing more harm than good to Linux. That is, even if every single bad comment you make about Novell is true (which is generally not the case, unfortunately), I don’t think you can reasonably conclude that they’re doing more harm than good. Do you think this?

The fact that Mark Fink above thinks it’s a good thing that a FOSS developer (if they are, there are other jobs there of course) shouldn’t be employed to work on FOSS only just emphasises the environment and methodology that you’ve created and are advocating.

And both comments of course still don’t address the point that Novell is not alone in “going down in Google trends” (whatever that means, anyway).

But no, it does indeed seem that you’d prefer it if Novell would rather not succeed with its effort of Linux on the desktop and server, and you would rather that those several hundred FOSS developers didn’t have jobs, right? Or have jobs in other proprietary companies?

Rare cases of poisonous people (this term being well defined, as you know) have to — without a doubt — be the single worst thing about the open source community. People who linger endlessly on controversy, appear to facilitate and encourage argumentation, and make life hard for the rest of us. And it makes me sad. :(

February 29, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Free software, at least as a movement, was born around the same time that I was born. That was long before SuSE even existed. It was not motivated by a corporation and it thrived in trust, collaboration and agreement with those who could be trusted,

What Novell did it did very knowingly. Mr. de Icaza warned about it at one stage (he traveled to Redmond to renegotiate/discuss, IIRC) and Jeremy Allison was equally concerned, if not much more (he just didn’t ‘yell’ loudly enough).

What Novell has done will forever seem to me like the catalyst that led to all those subsequent deals (at least 7 of them). Novell jeopardised Free software by allowing Microsoft to change the rules of the game — without even a fight I might add — and to make matters worse, Novell continues to do this. Despite the fact that Novell knows the harms of some things, it carries on doing them, undeterred.

The conflict between the mind of a developer and that of a manager or an investor is resolvable. Other companies like Red Hat did not need to resort to the same tricks. Moreover, as suggested by others, what Novell did was in some sense a way of attacking Red Hat, whose patent portfolio is meager. Nowhere have we seen evidence of customers requiring ‘protection’. It was a convenient excuse for Novell. Didn’t Ron Hovsepian later lie about the deal not having anything to do with software patents (from his perspective)?

People are not foolish. I have it well documented here (as text and video) that a pattern of selfishness and deception guides Novell’s management. I feel terrible for the developers. While many of them suffer, management types appear to be getting a raise. Developers also inherit the bad reputation of their supervisors (ask ex-SCOers). If I were you Francis, I would fork SUSE. I am very surprised nobody has done this since the deal was signed. Watch again Microsoft’s pledge to OpenSUSE developers. Pamela has it and it’s appalling. Last Thursday stunt was a similar stab in the back.

7. Francis G said,

February 29, 2008 at 2:20 pm

> That was long before SuSE even existed. It was not motivated by a corporation and it thrived in trust, collaboration and agreement with those who could be trusted,

I didn’t say any of that. I said it is one of the biggest contributors ever to FOSS, that it has been for some time now and still is; and that is completely undeniable.

> Novell jeopardised Free software by allowing Microsoft to change the rules of the game

You know as well as I do that free software cannot be jeopardised — that’s one of its beauties. Believe it or not, free software is not in some state of requiring resuscitation requiring some self-appointed guardian angel such as yourself: this is truly paranoia. You still carefully avoided the question I put forward to you though, and the very main point of my whole post. Here it is again:

Can you, hand on your heart, honestly say and believe that Novell is doing more harm than good? Honestly, Roy? If so, is hoping that it dies basically a good methodology to adopt?

The extent to which you’ve over-exaggerated the deal (but it is, for sure, far too late for you to see this now; yes, which really means I shouldn’t be writing this sentence :) ) is like putting someone on death-row for dropping a piece of litter.

> If I were you Francis, I would fork SUSE. I am very surprised nobody has done this since the deal was signed.

This probably wouldn’t survive and it wouldn’t make any sense, since we all actually appreciate Novell’s astounding, continuing, and ultimately completely invaluable contribution to Free Software. Let me be clear: one of the main reasons I switched to openSUSE and continue to use it is precisely because of SUSE’s unrivaled contribution to the Linux desktop, which I am of course extremely proud to be a part of.

Which is precisely why it is very sad that there are people who consider themselves to be in the same community as us, who are trying to ruin this. It is quite unbelievable.

8. Francis G said,

February 29, 2008 at 2:24 pm

You also didn’t answer my questions about the site name, again. I mean, surely if a boycott is anything then surely those proposing it are the ones at least who would be boycotting Novell?

And yet you know very well that you don’t boycott the software created by Novell. Picking and choosing what is convenient for you completely undermines your statement, position, and integrity. Or do you disagree with this? Properly boycotting Novell would mean not using Linux, and you must know this.

It’s a tough response, but you’ve created a tough predicament.

February 29, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I didn’t avoid any question deliberately. I just happened to remember the end of your message as I write everything quickly.

Novell has time to rectify and get together its act. It has had over a year in fact, but it seems like business as usual with patents and coupons.

10. Francis G said,

February 29, 2008 at 2:41 pm

> To answer your first question, in the long term, Novell does more harm than good, but in a sense, it’s truer to say that it has already done enough harm for the future whereas at present it does a lot of good hoping to compensate for it.

You must have some rather curious scales, but anyhow — since you apparently genuinely are in a position where you have come to believe that, I won’t argue with you any more. Since that is such an unbelievably standard inference in my mind, and I shouldn’t be expected to debate with people who don’t accept standard inferences :-).

> As for your other question, I believe you heard the answer about a year ago. I didn’t register any of these domains. It wasn’t my choice and I merely joined the site Shane had founded. I wouldn’t have chosen such a name.

All of this avoids the question again. It doesn’t answer the question “Why do you still have the name?” You know very well that you post 99.99% of the posts and work on here, it’s pretty misleading to say that this site is still some kind of “joint effort” — it is your blog for MS-Novell ‘items’.

11. Mark Fink said,

February 29, 2008 at 7:44 pm

What’s the matter Francis? Afraid that job you have trolling forums and getting paid by Microvell isn’t gonna be paying the rent for long?

Too bad, should have chosen a moral company to get into bed with.

Oh well, have fun living on the streets.

March 1, 2008 at 12:59 am

I am sorry to disappoint you, Francis. Trust me, it’s not my intention to hurt the feelings of non-managers — those who are by no means responsible for the horrible deal. For those readers who are unaware, however, it ought to be added that you, Francis, are part of the core OpenSUSE team, so your bias is only to be expected.

13. CHrisophorus said,

March 1, 2008 at 3:30 am

God, you guys seem such teenage trolls, how do you expect to ever be taken seriously?

14. Francis G said,

March 1, 2008 at 4:55 am

Interesting community you have built here Roy.

Mark Fink, I’m not paid or employed by Novell. I’m an openSUSE community member who’s extremely proud to be part of the community. Something you wouldn’t understand if you only read this website and didn’t do research past the interpretations of one person’s events. See http://opensuse.org/FAQ:Novell-MS

Roy, on the contrary as I’m a community member there is virtually no need for my bias. There is no reason for me to swear blind allegiance to Novell or to SUSE. I have switched between distributions frequently and easily in the past, been involved in other open source communities, and could quite easily return to them. Trust me — if I didn’t want to be here I wouldn’t. But I love being here and so do we all; that doesn’t stop people like you who make our life hard though :-).

On the other hand, you have posted several thousand articles and dedicated a large chunk of your life to go against this issue, have specifically positioned yourself in a negative position toward the deal, and have demonstrated extreme irrationality towards it (I mean, you’re still ignoring my questions) so I expect no impartiality when discussing with you (and indeed, that’s why I said I wouldn’t debate with you about that issue if you didn’t accept standard inferences).

March 1, 2008 at 5:42 am

> I mean, you’re still ignoring my questions..

I don’t believe I have. If there is a question that I missed, please re-ask.

16. Francis G said,

March 1, 2008 at 5:45 am

You’re kidding, right? Anyway, I’m happy to oblige:

————-

————

It’s a tough response, but you’ve created a tough predicament.
    ————

March 1, 2008 at 5:53 am

This is again a question that you asked before and received an answer to. Moving sites is hardly possible without chaos for an endless number of reasons that I won’t list here in detail. Just to drop some key points: bookmarks, feeds, visual/verbal identity, crawlers, site status.

Properly boycotting Novell would mean not using Linux, and you must know this.

Stating it like this is just wishful thinking and you know this, Francis. You and I probably share oxygen (you live in London, IIRC), but it doesn’t mean any of us should reconsider breathing.

18. Francis G said,

March 1, 2008 at 6:00 am

> Just to drop some key points: bookmarks, feeds, visual/verbal identity, crawlers, site status.

Bookmarks, feeds, and ALL links/comments etc. are 100% preservable with no problem from the user at all. If you don’t believe me, then I’ll do it for you (or give you easy instructions — up to you). :-)

> visual/verbal identity

Your visual and verbal identity, and “site status” is as “Boycott Novell” — I thought this was something you’d “regret”. If so, you shouldn’t be sad to part with it. The only reason you would like to maintain this identity is if you approve of and are happy with it.

> Stating it like this is just wishful thinking and you know this, Francis.

It’s a simple question, please answer it :-)

> You and I probably share oxygen (you live in London, IIRC), but it doesn’t mean any of us should reconsider breathing.

It’s not even remotely the same as I can explicitly point you to the code which Novell brought about, which you are using, and therefore not boycotting (in which case you’re just picking and choosing what is convenient for you). You can’t point to the oxygen of yours that I am breathing.

Please, have the — not sure what to call it, let’s say decency — to actually do what you’re proposing and preaching for everyone else to do. If you can’t do it yourself you shouldn’t be preaching to others to do it. Is that not hypocrisy?

March 1, 2008 at 9:00 am

You’re asking many questions here that take us almost nowhere. I haven’t a problem answering them, but this type of discussion just become a distraction because it’s personal and hypothetical.

20. Mark Fink said,

March 1, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Roy,

A couple of ideas:

2. Should we maybe start a list of Novell employees so that the world knows who these people are? We’d be doing Free Software another service by having a list of these people so that project leaders can check to see if any of these developers try to submit patches (which could potentially be tainted), possibly under email addresses other than their @novell.com or @suse.de addresses (to weasel around any suspicions about their credibility).

The list could also be of benefit to companies who wish not to ever hire Novell refugees once Novell collapses.

What do you think?

March 1, 2008 at 2:20 pm

About 1, I’ve been in touch with Chris DiBona on several occasions before, but the move you suggest would be too politically damaging to Google. They won’t accept.

About 2, it sounds rather harsh and personal (blunt), but we already do something similar. Would you like to maintain a page that lists these people? Former Novellers like Jody Goldbeg (OOXML apologist) are worth adding to it also.

22. Francis G said,

March 1, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Ok Roy, then please do answer them, yes. I don’t think they’re personal issues in any way.

Mark Fink,

> 1. petition Google not to accept any GSoC projects for any Novell projects (e.g. Tomboy, Beagle, Mono, etc). Anything that helps Novell should not be allowed.

So no Linux projects should be allowed, then? Novell has affirmed and fully positioned itself and its future in Linux. Please just read http://opensuse.org/FAQ:Novell-MS

It contributes more to free software than you can imagine, I’m sure.

> We’d be doing Free Software another service by having a list of these people so that project leaders can check to see if any of these developers try to submit patches (which could potentially be tainted), possibly under email addresses other than their @novell.com or @suse.de addresses (to weasel around any suspicions about their credibility).

The fact is that all the people doing actual real work for FOSS barely think about the MS-Novell issue, at all. People in all FOSS projects know very well that they’re working with SUSE/Novell employees and I don’t think they could care less (honestly). I know this from interacting with SUSE employees (hearing their experiences) and from speaking to hundreds of people from other free software projects (at events like FOSDEM).

It’s only vocal, self-appointed people like Roy who think they’re some kind of speakers for free software (when they are NOT — they’re barely involved in actual free software), who are vocal about their irrational hatred for the deal, and spread lies about one of the greatest contributors to free software ever. But hey.

March 1, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Novell has affirmed and fully positioned itself and its future in Linux.

Novell fully positioned itself with emphasis on Mono. This is not imagination. This is just what they say (not in those exact words).

24. Francis G said,

March 2, 2008 at 5:06 am

Roy,

Please answer those questions as you said you would.

> That’s Linux as Fee software, not Free software. Moreover, it’s an imitation of Windows, not Linux.

Please don’t be childish or ridiculous with your snide remarks. You seem to be more than happy to use an awful lot of Novell code, Roy.

> With Novell around, expect more Mono. KDE already has some Mono bindings and Novell developers are involved in KDE development.

Non sequitur (yes, this is a logical fallacy), but I know you like to speculate wildly.

Believe it or not, it was *GNOME developers* who decided to create application X, Y, Z using Mono. Could you point to a single case, anywhere, that Novell upper management insisted that an application be written in Mono?

All the KDE developers (most of which are KDE core developers, again, doing amazing work for KDE and free software) don’t really like Mono at all, so your statement is ridiculous at best, though of course you haven’t done one bit of research before making such remarks.

March 2, 2008 at 5:25 am

“Insisted” is too strong a word. Novell hires .NET developers though (based on press articles), so it’s clear to me that Novell likes Mono to-be developers. At the same time, many developers get sacked. Some rumours say that 1,000 people in Novell will lose their job this year, but the number cannot be confirmed. So, all in all, as far as I can tell, it’s Mono up while Novell goes down. That’s just what Microsoft wants. Microsoft _loves_ it when Mono is adopted. Should we be all happy for Microsoft? Is it possible that Microsoft knows something that many of use simply refuse to accept as truth?

26. Francis G said,

March 2, 2008 at 6:48 am

Thanks again for digressing and ignoring the questions which you said you would answer.

March 2, 2008 at 6:52 am

I told you the following before:

“I haven’t a problem answering them, but this type of discussion just become a distraction because it’s personal and hypothetical.”

28. Francis G said,

March 2, 2008 at 6:54 am

And I told you:

“Ok Roy, then please do answer them, yes [as you don't have a problem with doing so]. I don’t think they’re personal issues in any way.”

March 2, 2008 at 10:09 am

You seem to be more than happy to use an awful lot of Novell code, Roy.

The code is being shared and weaved together. There is no way to avoid pieces from contributors x and y and z (and no need to, either). Given Novell’s cheap shots at Red Hat, let alone their compromise of them (more recently it was mutual), why does Novell still use Red Hat-contributed code?

It is a similar situation. We are all supposed to collaborate and this relies on the element of trust. Novell betrayed this trust, which is why many people call Novell a sellout.

It’s a long story, Francis, and we could go on forever discussing those very same issues that were discussed here many times before. These attempts to create guilt in the mind of Novell antagonists is nothing new. Other companies use the same tactics.

30. Francis G said,

March 2, 2008 at 10:24 am

Still ignoring the tough questions, but can’t bring yourself to not have the last post :-)

There is no way to avoid pieces from contributors x and y and z

There are very easy ways if you have patches. Would you like me to send you some? You know that you would not have a functional system Roy, which only highlights the absurdity of your site’s request.

(and no need to, either).

I agree 100%, but you do not — as you are calling for a boycott.

“Boycott” doesn’t mean picking and choosing to boycott what is convenient for you. Again:

“And yet you know very well that you don’t boycott the software created by Novell. Picking and choosing what is convenient for you completely undermines your statement, position, and integrity.”

why does Novell still use Red Hat-contributed code?

Novell isn’t calling for a boycott of anyone. You, on the contrary, are.

Well, I’m not a company nor am I part of one, but I do believe in veracity, common sense, and bringing joy to the world whenever I can.

Naturally I think you should indeed be very guilty if you had a conscience and were aware of what you were doing, but I’ve come to not expect much at all from this website and from you Roy, sorry.

31. Slated said,

March 3, 2008 at 4:25 am

By all means let’s see these patches … please.

Let’s find out how much supposedly vital functionality we’d all lose by being “deprived” of Novell software.

I think you are making far too much of Novell’s contribution. Apart from a rather short-lived and failed encounter with UNIX, which they subsequently sold to SCO, Novell isn’t even traditionally a Linux vendor. They’ve only been in the game for under 5 years, and the last year of that has been spent pandering to the Vole, and poisoning Free Software with garbage like Mono.

If the “contribution” you’re alluding to is Mono, then I am more than happy to remove it. In fact I already have, but please feel free to detail all the other poisonous software that I’d have to remove to become Novell-free, including kernel patches.

Seriously … I want to know, so I can purge that software from my distribution.

What’s difficult to understand about that?

Boycott Novell? No I don’t want to “boycott” them … I want to extricate them from Microsoft, then purge every scrap of Microsoft “IP” from the Free Software community. Then for an encore, I’d like to fscking bury Microsoft in a deep hole somewhere, down in the depths of Hell where they belong.

Apparently Novell don’t.

Of course, they can always change their minds. It’s never too late.

32. Francis G said,

March 3, 2008 at 6:24 am

> I think you are making far too much of Novell’s contribution.

They have at least a couple of hundred developers who write code for Linux. They have more developers working on the Linux *desktop* than any other company in the world. A couple hundred people working on something for 5 years is not going to result in a small change. But just for a summary:

* Second largest contributor to OpenOffice.org
    * more KDE developers than anyone else (most of which are core developers) except possibly tied with Trolltech
    * more GNOME developers than anyone else (not just Mono, but contributing to:gnome-panel, GDM, gnome-desktop, GTK, Nautilus, gnome, session, Evolution.. you get the idea)
    * GCC developers
    * several in the ALSA team
    * Xen developers
    * Kernel developers (small people like Greg KH)
    * and I presume more X developers than anyone else (haven’t fully checked this one, but there are several)
    * Compiz
    * etc etc.

All of these software packages would — without a doubt — be non-functional today if you removed the SUSE code from them (which is why “boycott” statements are so irrational). In pretty much none of the above cases are the developers who are employed “small time contributors” — in most cases they are core contributors, making a huge difference (for example, in KDE 3 of the 7 people on the Technical board are employed by SUSE).

> If the “contribution” you’re alluding to is Mono, then I am more than happy to remove it.

Mono is one of the great contributions (don’t just take my word for it — RMS says the existence of Mono is a *good* thing), but it’s nothing in comparison to the rest of its contributions.

> You sound like you’re confused about the motivation of people like Roy and myself (Why do these vicious people attack Novell? Why do they hate them?). If you don’t understand by now, then you must have been living in a cave for the last year.

I perfectly understand them, which is precisely why I think you are both so wrong, as you are grossly, grossly over-exaggerating the issue, speculating wildly, twisting information, and then completely ignore Novell’s contribution to FOSS (which is astounding). See http://opensuse.org/FAQ:Novell-MS

> Novell slept with the enemy (still does), and the friend of my enemy is also my enemy.

And snide emotive comments like this don’t help anyone except the person who’s making them to erroneously establish a position. They didn’t sleep with anyone, they made a business deal (you know, things that happen in business). See http://opensuse.org/FAQ:Novell-MS

> The fact that Novell may have contributed software to the community is completely negated by their betrayal of that community, by allaying itself with the (self-declared) enemy of Free Software.

When you have an irrational hatred of Microsoft (I don’t like them too), you start to see the deal in the wrong way. The fundamental problem that you will come across is that it is possible to make a good deal (or not an incredibly horrible/bad deal) with a bad company.

> Apparently Novell don’t.

Apparently they do, as they are pushing for the Linux desktop more than anyone else in the world.

March 3, 2008 at 7:42 am

Novell is not pushing for Linux. It is pushing for what we have come to know as “Ballnux”. It is what Microsoft considers to be a Microsoft IPR-encumbered desktop that Microsoft views as part of its own property. It’s hardly surprising that when someone installs SUSE Linux (non-’hobbyist’) Microsoft gets its share of ‘tax money’. Ever learned anything from the Trust?

Novell is a fool if it thinks that GNU/Linux will thrive as a slave to Microsoft. By sticking to and pushing to promote Microsoft technologies like .NET, Silverlight and OOXML, Novell becomes nothing but a slave to Microsoft’s agenda of owning the Web, the operating system (Linux) and developers.

Hours ago I compared Novell’s role to that of Intel. Along with Microsoft, they just hope to squeeze as much money as possible at the expense of everyone else, including GNU developers, Red Hat and anything else which Microsoft investors see as a threat.

The contributions that you mentioned above, Francis, are made by people who don’t understand how they are used or allow themselves to be used as long as they receive their weekly paycheck.

34. Francis said,

March 3, 2008 at 7:57 am

It is pushing for what we have come to know as “Ballnux”.

Another emotive statement and snide remark which probably makes you feel better somehow, but utilizes only logical fallacies (non sequitur) to reach a faulty conclusion.

Conspiracy theories get very boring, very fast. How you’ve managed to drag it on for months is a mystery to me. Or perhaps not.

How incredibly arrogant of you to superimpose ignorance upon so many distinguished members of the FOSS community (one of which you are barely part of, which makes it all the more curious).

It’s this exact type of attitude that I find appalling (and since you feel inclined to psychoanalyze such members of the community, I will do so too for you) — you think you have “inside knowledge” and that everyone else is being asinine, since your prejudices are so deeply ingrained, your paranoia so severe, and your megalomania so hungry that you can still entertain ideas like this. It’s really something.

Oh, and you’re still ignoring the questions which you said you would answer.

March 3, 2008 at 8:09 am

Conspiracy theories get… psychoanalyze… paranoia so severe, and your megalomania

Thank you for showing to you have resorted to Microsoft-esque, Bush-like techniques for discrediting critics.

Can you please address the core of the issues that were raised. Are you aware of Microsoft’s love for this relationship with Novell? Do you believe that Microsoft is happy about the fact that Linux is being sold, unless of course Microsoft has other plans for it?

How familiar are you with Microsoft’s behaviour? To them, this is “Jihad” (a word used even internally). Their goal is to destroy Free software, or at least turn it to Fee software in order to boost or secure revenue. They haven’t interest in the profits of others, unless it’s a kickback-type affair like the one with Intel (again, do some studying on the Trust).

One of the most amusing things to find nowadays is that people actually believe Microsoft changed its ways. They obviously don’t keep their eyes open. Only days ago we found yet more corruptions and briberies. Guess who against?

36. Francis said,

March 3, 2008 at 8:22 am

There is no need for me to discredit you as a source in order to discredit your arguments. Indeed, I’ve only been addressing your arguments until you started implying that distinguished, established and long-time members of the FOSS community were being asinine. Which I find appalling.

Please, stop trying to damage the FOSS community.

Can you please address the core of the issues that were raised.

I see no reason to address any of your points when you have persistently ignored questions put forward to you (though also when you don’t accept IMO standard inferences), and refused to answer them even when you have explicitly said that you will.

March 3, 2008 at 8:55 am

Which question would you like me to answer?

By the way, you are putting words in my mouth — words I did not ever say, e.g. “implying that distinguished, established and long-time members of the FOSS community were being asinine.”

Please don’t try to phrase what you believe I /imply/. What I think above all is that some of them are being /used/ without realising it. I believe, for example, that this is the case with Miguel de Icaza.

1. Links 5/12/2019: qBittorrent 4.2.0, Expensive Librem 5 and OpenBSD Bugs

2. Microsoft Staff Repeatedly Refuses to Tell How Many People Use WSL, Defends Patent Extortion and Blackmail of Linux Instead

The people who develop WSL (mostly Microsoft employees) get easily irritated when asked how many people actually use this thing; but more interestingly, however, they reveal their disdain for GNU/Linux and support for Microsoft blackmail (for 'Linux patent tax')

3. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, December 04, 2019

IRC logs for Wednesday, December 04, 2019

4. Links 4/12/2019: Tails 4.1, UCS 4.4-3 and Proxmox VE 6.1

5. Google Tightens Its Noose

Now it’s official! Google is just a bunch of shareholders looking to appease the Pentagon at all costs

6. Europeans Still Need to Save the European Patent Office From Those Who Attack Its Patent Quality

Patent quality is of utmost interest; without it, as we're seeing at the EPO and have already seen at the USPTO for a number of years, legal disputes will arise where neither side wins (only the lawyers win) and small, impoverished inventors or businesses will be forced to settle outside the courts over baseless allegations, often made by parasitic patent trolls (possessing low-quality patents they don't want scrutinised by courts)

7. We Never Accepted and Will Never Accept Corporate Money

Corporate money is a unique problem because of its magnitude and the fact that it's impersonal; shareholders can only ever accept its supposed justifications if they're receiving something in return (of proportional worth to the payment/transaction)

8. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, December 03, 2019

IRC logs for Tuesday, December 03, 2019

9. Links 3/12/2019: elementary OS 5.1 Hera, Plasma 5.17.4, Firefox 71

10. Laundering the Reputation of Criminals: That's an Actual Job

An important reminder that the manufactured, paid-for (media is being bribed) image of Bill Gates is the product of the PR industry he enlisted to distract from his endless crimes

11. 'Priceless' Tickets to the EPO's Back End and Team UPC

CIPA's and the EPO's event (later this week) is more of the same; the EPO exists not to serve European businesses but a bunch of law firms and their biggest clients (which usually aren't even European)

12. IRC Proceedings: Monday, December 02, 2019

IRC logs for Monday, December 02, 2019

13. New EPO Leak Shows That the Rumours and Jokes Are Partly True and We Know Who 'Runs the Show'

Europe’s second-largest institution is so profoundly dysfunctional, a reprehensible kakistocracy of tribalism, money-grabbing career-climbing autocrats and possibly major fraud; today’s leak looks at what motivated and enabled the formation and latest incarnation of “Team Campinos”

14. Links 2/12/2019: Linux Mint 19.3 Beta, DPL Sam Hartman Talks About SystemD

15. What Former Debian Project Leader (Second to the Late Ian Murdock) Thinks About SystemD in Debian GNU/Linux

Now that Debian is debating and voting on diversity in the technical sense the thoughts of Bruce Perens merit broader audience/reach

16. Free/Libre Software Will Eventually Become the Norm, 'Open Source' is Just Proprietary Software Trying to 'Buy Time'

More people are starting to ask questions about Free software while “Open Source” languishes (people can see it’s just a mask for proprietary software); it was a two-decade delaying tactic that’s wearing off (people see GitHub and the OSI/Linux Foundation for what they really are)

17. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, December 01, 2019

IRC logs for Sunday, December 01, 2019

18. Richard Stallman is Active and Doing Well

The rumour mill may still be humming along; but against all odds — as Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project — Stallman keeps fighting the good fight (in the face of growing resistance)

19. Banning Former Microsoft Employees Who Complain About Microsoft Lies, Abuses and Crimes

The official account of Windows Insider is banning people whom it never even spoke to; this seems like a way of 'punishing' people who are not 'true believers' in Microsoft

20. Wikileaks: Thierry Breton May Have Misused Regulatory/Government Positions to Attack His Competition (in the Market)

Thierry 'revolving doors' Breton as seen by the United States government

21. 13 Years of UPC Promises

The anatomy of UPC 'fake news' or lobbying tactics along the lines of self-fulfilling prophecies and false predictions

22. Is Water Wet?

The criteria for patent eligibility reduced only to this question: will allowing these patents increase ‘production’ (number of patent grants)?

23. The EPO's President Admits He's Illegally Granting Software Patents (CII, 4IR, IoT, AI and Blockchain Mean Software Patents at the EPO)

The EPO's chief liar is openly and proudly promoting software patents using buzzwords and hype waves (and mysterious acronyms that are rather meaningless but spread by the media in exchange for money received from the EPO)

24. Tone Policing and the Linux Foundation

A timely example of situations where the Linux Foundation can seemingly 'cancel' people (using the Code of Conduct) for political opinions

25. It EEEsn't Just a Microsoft Thing Anymore

The EEErosion of Python's independence is a known problem and Microsoft is not the sole culprit

26. Links 1/12/2019: KDE's GTK CSD Support, Skrooge 2.21.0

27. Links 1/12/2019: Genode OS 19.11 Release, Sam Hartman (DPL) Speaks Out on SystemD

28. Maximalists Cherry-Picking the So-Called 'Corbyn' 'Leak' for Their Patent Agenda While the US Lobbies Britain for Software Patents and Worse

A quick look at what last week's media coverage may have missed and what patent maximalists don't want to tell us about confidential trade-related documents

29. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, November 30, 2019

IRC logs for Saturday, November 30, 2019

30. Microsoft Loves Linux Because It Pays for It

Microsoft cannot ‘buy’ Linux itself, so it has been buying (bribing) all the ‘right’ people while telling them (and then they tell us, too!) they “love Linux” (which they don’t even use!)