05.02.08

Selling a Proprietary GNU/Linux by Spitting in Its Pool of Life

Posted in Free/Libre Software, GNU/Linux, Hardware, Microsoft, Novell, Oracle, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Virtualisation, Xen at 10:02 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Always remember where you came from

Novell and Microsoft piss on GNU/Linux codebase

The story of Novell is a rather complicated one because the company mocks the very same product which it tries to sell. Novell uses GNU/Linux FUD to market itself, especially by boasting Microsoft’s software patent ‘protection’ as its advantage, added value, distinguisher (the classic decoy being "interoperability"). The same goes for Mono, which it controls even using copyrights.

It was rather disappointing to find industry leaders such as Wind River and MontaVista using similar techniques, only without patents or Microsoft.

Embedded Linux is the most hyped embedded operating system ever. It is promoted as inexpensive, high quality, high productivity, reliable, widely available, and well supported. It is none of these things, as two of its greatest proponents have recently pointed out. Wind River Systems and MontaVista Software, companies that each describe themselves as “the leader” in embedded Linux, have both initiated marketing campaigns touting the horrors of using embedded Linux.

In the January/February 2008 issue of Military Embedded Systems, Jim Ready, the founder and chief technology officer of MontaVista, says “a [develop-it-yourself] embedded Linux distribution [is] a significant investment (read ‘big bucks’) in time and money.” He estimates the three-year cost of a large scale embedded Linux deployment at $19,623,750.

I spoke to Jim Ready on the phone some months ago and I’m surprised he could 'pull a Palamida' or even 'pull a Black Duck' (or whatever company du jour spreads uncertainty about FOSS and GNU/Linux in the same way that anti-virus vendors exaggerate about the dangers of using Windows and overplay the potency of their security add-ons).

The article above continues however; it sheds light on what we might really be seeing here.

It’s more likely that Wind River and MontaVista are telling it as they see it–for marketing purposes. Marketing usually puts forward a problem (bad breath, headaches) that many potential customers will relate to, and then promises a solution. Why would Wind River and MontaVista put forward the problem of embedded Linux nightmares in marketing materials unless they think many potential customers have experienced those nightmares and need a solution?

“In this case, rather proprietary versions of (GNU/)Linux get on their high horses and badmouth their free (libre) equivalents…”In a Free software industry it’s important not to exclude competitors unless they threaten the freedom of the software. In this case, rather proprietary versions of (GNU/)Linux get on their high horses and badmouth their free (libre) equivalents — the very same source owing to which they were made possible in the first place. Neither shame nor sense of guilt?

In other semi-related news, the company which grew and thrived in a community of volunteers continues to get closer to its new and generous paymasters. We told the XenSource story several times before, e.g. here. Imagine the ‘surprise’ accompanying news where this company’s CTO, Simon Crosby, hails the “Citrix-Microsoft alliance as increasing virtualization choice” (versus VMWare). It’s almost as though XenSource is now a tool of Microsoft, Citrix, Novell and the rest of that small alliance which wants Red Hat, Ubuntu, Oracle, Sun and VMWare toppled.

1. Logan said,

May 2, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Craping on their own food! That’s the new business strategy of companies with no integrity, no responsibility.

They are putting themselves as targets at a firing range.

They should be selling their crapware with embedded Windows and be done with it!

2. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 2, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Oh god; it your tastefull pissing-picture again…

See that you get your blog out of the gutter-level of pissing-jokes.

Note: comment has been flagged for arriving from a possible incarnation of known (eet), pseudonymous, forever-nymshifting, abusive Internet troll that posts from open proxies and relays around the world.

3. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 2, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Feces, spit, piss; it seems that you people have an unhealthy fascination with bodily fluids and excrements. Charming. And says a lot about you.

Disgusting!

May 2, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I am almost convinced now that you are ‘eet’. You’re posting from the same ISP, you began using the same language, you post quite frequently, you know the past about this Web site and your name never ever appeared outside this Web site! You got unmasked again.

5. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 3, 2008 at 5:20 am

All I can say is that you look very, very pitiful to me at the moment. Is the only way out that you see when you are desperate, to accuse me of not being who I am? I should be happy for you if this solves the the situation for you somehow. But my advise would be to rather take on a long overdue time-out in order to reflect what your aims with this blog were and where it has actually led you; to a position where even those who you claim to be fighting for (KDE and GNOME devs alike) regard you as a nuisance at best.

6. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 3, 2008 at 5:38 am

This reminds me a bit of those middle-ages parodies where people constanty point a finger and say “she’s a with!”

As I don’t seem to have driven my point home the first time:

Reflect what kind of picture of yourself you draw, with your preference for dirty language and outright abuse. You are not being smart in that respect. You don’t sever your own cause, due to, it seems, personal shortcomings you are not well-suited for what you say you intend to do.

7. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 3, 2008 at 5:39 am

Errata: Replace ‘with’ (oh, man…) with ‘witch’ in my last-but-one post.

May 3, 2008 at 5:52 am

I find it all a tad surprising, that’s all. You never posted on the entire World Wide Web before:

Then again, at the start you claimed that you had read this site for a very long time. So let me see. You’ve read this site since the beginning and never left a comment. Now you say that you can’t help commenting; you’re spraying me and my messages with attacks. Did you have to read thousands of posts before lashing out like a motor (and for the first time with your full name)? I’m suspicious. Please explain how this is possible.

And by the way, if you disappear, then that might indicate you’ll nymshift (same ISP as ‘eet’) and hope never to give away more clues.

9. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 3, 2008 at 6:20 am

I think, you are already preparing to discredit me.

If my ‘disappearance’, as you say, is a proof of me not being who I am, all you have got to do is block me from posting! I couldn’t do anything against it, and you could say ‘See, I’ve told you so!’

I hope you are not planning something that cheap.

May 3, 2008 at 8:50 am

Let’s see again what we already know:

1. As soon as you started posting I suspected you were ‘eet’ and tested you by bringing that up, and not just because you both share the same ISP; sometimes I see IP addresses that are shared with ‘eet’ (exactly the same a, b, c, and d block) entering the site.

2. Whenever an ‘eet’ nym gets caught it never returns. Just *poof* it disappears and immediately afterwards a ‘brand-new’ troll shows up with a new name (typically the same ISP), sometimes promptly defending the previous ‘eet’ nym that got caught. Eventually it turns out that it’s just ‘eet’ nymshifting.

3. You tell me that you’ve read the site for a long time (since the start, IIRC, based on what you told me), but you never commented before. Now you comment like 10 times a day because “it gives you heartburn” (did you really read thousands of posts silently? Because you hare the site?). You started commenting immediately since the last ‘eet’ nym got caught and decided to ‘walk away’. Moreover, you never commented *anywhere else* before. You don’t exist anywhere on the Web. Not even your surname alone.

4. Your insults and posting style are sometimes very similar to that of ‘eet’, who by his own admission changed his names.

5. You seem similar with the subjects at hand (you even know the site’s history), yet you never told me who or what you are with. You are virtually (well, no, you are practically) inexistent on the Web.

I am not stupid.

11. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 3, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Basically, I don’t agree with you (strongly so) and thus I am someone you call ‘eet’? You are looking for a reason to discredit me, that’s what I read out of that, nothing more.

Very convenient for you if you now turn to a campaign against me instead of answering to my critique.

Well, this is hardly surprising; as Jeff Waugh wrote here, you would do the same to him for sure – if he wasn’t a household-name.

I cannot do anything if you suddenly decide to silence me or anything – but if I should now suddenly fall silent, everyone will know what happened, i.e. you will have silenced me.

Don’t do yourself a disservice and expose your own weakness by first denouncing and than silencing your critics.

May 3, 2008 at 9:24 pm

eet,

I’m sure it’s you (as I’ve been from the very beginning), but I need to convince the readers** by showing this to them because they haven’t access to the same evidence (IPs, full conversations, language similarity, good knowledge of your past conversations under different names, et cetrea).

As I stated last week when you nymshifted, not even user registration can prevent your nymshifting and trolling here (can create new accounts), so I’m sure you’ll just change his name and return (as you have done several times before getting caught, about twice in April alone). In the mean time, it’s clear that time will continue to be wasted because of your abuse.

To quickly run down some facts:

__
    **I have just receive the following message, which shows they can’t see the same evidence:

I have observed the conversation going on between Jeff Waugh, his friends and you. They have offered their views and, while I don’t agree with them, at least I respect them. Then there is this other person, Nikolas Koswinkle, Nikolas Kostenlos, eet, or whatever his name is. He seems to be obsessed and it seems you are right to have suspicions that he might be your longtime “minder” eet. Unless I have missed something, he hasn’t said anything about who he is or what he believes. He only offers insults and bald refutations (i.e. he says that you “don’t have proof”, but he doesn’t offer any proof himself.) In short, he hasn’t said a single thing that could be taken as constructive. I didn’t want to stoke the flames by posting this, but I wouldn’t blame you if you banned him or treated him as if he were eet. After all, PJ has banned people to keep things civil on Groklaw.

Just my 2 centimes worth …

13. M$ fails to deliver said,

May 4, 2008 at 10:38 am

@Nikolas Koswinkle : how much are you paid and by whom to post here?

14. Google said,

May 4, 2008 at 10:56 am

Microsoft withdraws proposal for Yahoo

May 4, 2008 at 12:26 pm

M$ fails to deliver: I think the same question applies to you?

And as I theorized above, the same question applies to Roy ;)

Of course, if he is being paid by Microsoft, I highly doubt he’d ever admit it.

Basically, I just find it odd that he appears out of nowhere immediately after the Microsoft-Novell deal is announced and goes around trying to turn the community against Novell and their engineers.

Seems highly suspicious to me.

May 4, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Amusing, Dan, very amusing. I don’t see the tongue-in-cheek emoticon. :-)

Just FYI, I was with SUSE for years (including mailing lists and newsgroups). It was running on my PCs at home and at work. I advocated Novell too, both in public and in person. Look back at the Internet archives and you’ll see. When the Novell/Microsoft deal got signed it took me time to digest it, but the most influential analysis of it came from Bruce Perens, who had me convinced that Novell would evolve as it has. It’s a leech to the Free software movement.

May 4, 2008 at 12:49 pm

I also find it highly suspicious that he has obsessed this long over the MS-Novell deal to the exclusion of everything else (including trying to get a job), long after Bruce Perens and even Shane Coyle have long since moved on.

Everyone with any experience whatsoever with the Free Software community is by now fully aware of the Novell-MS deal and how “everyone” in that community hates Novell because of it.

The only motive I can come up with in continuing to bash Novell is to destroy them which helps Microsoft more than it helps the Free Software community.

They employ hundreds of Free Software developers – developers who were involved in the community long before working for Novell. If Novell falls, these developers are out of a job – any new job they get might not allow them to work full-time (if at all) on the development of Free Software, especially the projects they have their current expertise in.

Destroying Novell only serves to cripple the community, yet that is what Roy seems dedicated in doing.

You have to wonder… is Roy working for the very “evil empire” he tries to convince us he’s against?

A much better strategy, if he was serious about helping the F/LOSS community, would be to engange in conversation with the Novell execs and try to help them better understand the community they are trying to join so that they are a better asset to the community.

I highly doubt that Novell is in league with Microsoft – I think the far more likely explanation is that they just simply “don’t get it” (or at least not fully).

Help teach them to better meld with the community and you benefit both them and us. Alienate them, and you only help Microsoft.

May 4, 2008 at 12:52 pm

No more a leech than Canonical – who contributes almost nothing back to the community; certainly far less than Novell contributes.

Novell contributes nearly as much as Red Hat – it’s disingenuous to call them a leech.

May 4, 2008 at 1:52 pm

It’s almost a zero-sum game, Dan, and if Novell loses business, it’s likely to be picked up by other GNU/Linux distributors that pay nothing to Microsoft and can they employ (‘inherit’) Novell’s workforce. Just watch what happened with some folks from Samba. They move to Red Hat.

20. Sidehow-Bob said,

May 4, 2008 at 4:11 pm

So you have banned him?

May 4, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Banned who? We don’t ban or censor, but one single disruptive poster has his messages flagged (or held back if they contain very bad language that puts it in the moderation queue automatically)..

22. Nikolas Koswinkle said,

May 6, 2008 at 2:01 am

Well, I couldn’t even see this website; I received only an error-message. Now I was obviously blocked, wasn’t I. I would call this censorship

May 6, 2008 at 2:29 am

Maybe you stepped on ‘eets’ IP addresses again. We never delete comments, but only one pseudonymous man has his IPs listed separately for the abuses named herein. Have you not nymshifted again… yet?

1. The EPO is Lying to Its Own Staff About ILO and Endless (Over 2 Years) EPO Mistrials

The creative writing skills of some spinners who work for Battistelli would have staff believe that all is fine and dandy at the EPO and ILO is dealing effectively with staff complaints about the EPO (even if several years too late)

2. EPO’s Georg Weber Continues Horrifying Trend of EPO Promoting Software Patents in Defiance of Directive, EPC, and Common Sense

The EPO's promotion of software patents, even out in the open, is an insult to the notion that the EPO is adhering to or is bound by the rules upon which it maintains its conditional monopoly

3. Protectionism v Sharing: How the US Supreme Court Decides Patent Cases

As the US Supreme Court (SCOTUS) starts delivering some decisions we take stock of what's to come regarding patents

4. Links 22/3/2017: GNOME 3.24, Wine-Staging 2.4 Released

5. The Battistelli Regime, With Its Endless Scandals, Threatens to Crash the Unitary Patent (UPC), Stakeholders Concerned

The disdain and the growing impatience have become a huge liability not just to Battistelli but to the European Patent Office (EPO) as a whole

6. The Photos the EPO Absolutely Doesn't Want the Public to See: Battistelli is Building a Palace Using Stakeholders' Money

The Office is scrambling to hide evidence of its out-of-control spendings, which will leave the EPO out of money when the backlog is eliminated by many erroneous grants (or rejections)

7. In the US Patent System, Evolved Tricks for Bypassing Invalidations of Software Patents and Getting Them Granted by the USPTO

A roundup of news about patents in the US and how the patent microcosm attempts to patent software in spite of Alice (high-impact SCOTUS decision from 2014)

8. “Then They Came For Me—And There Was No One Left To Speak For Me.”

The decreasing number of people who cover EPO scandals (partly due to fear, or Battistelli's notorious "reign of terror") and a cause for hope, as well as a call for help

9. As Expected, the Patent Microcosm is Already Interfering, Lobbying and Influencing Supreme Court Justices

The US Supreme Court (SCOTUS) is preparing to deliver some important decisions on cases with broad ramifications, e.g. for patent scope, and those who make money from patent feuds are attempting to alter the outcome (which would likely restrict patent scope even further, based on these Justices' track record)

10. Intellectual Ventures -- Like Microsoft (Which It Came From) -- Spreads Patents to Manifest a Lot of Lawsuits

That worrisome strategy which is passage of patents to active (legally-aggressive) trolls seems to be a commonality, seen across both Microsoft and its biggest ally among trolls, which Microsoft and Bill Gates helped create and still fund

11. What the Patent Microcosm is Saying About the EPO and the UPC

Response to 3 law firms and today's output from them, which serves to inform or misinform the European public at times of Big Lies and fog of (patent) war, revealing the true nature of 21st century asymmetric patent warfare and lobbying

12. Tough Day for the EPO's Media/Press/PR Team, Trying 'Damage Control' After Important Techrights Publications

In an effort to save face and regain a sense of legitimacy the EPO publishes various things belatedly, and only after Techrights made these things publicly known and widely discussed

13. Links 21/3/2017: PyPy Releases, Radeon RX Vega, Eileen Evans at Linux Foundation

14. In IAM, Asian Courts That Deliver Justice Are “Unfriendly” and Asian Patent Trolls Are Desirable

Rebuttal or response to the latest pieces from IAM, which keeps promoting a culture of litigation rather than sharing, collaboration, negotiation, and open innovation

15. At EPO “I Have the Feeling That Lowering Quality is Part of a Concerted Plan.”

Growing concern about patent quality at the EPO -- a subject which causes managers to get rather nervous -- is now an issue at the forefront

16. EPO Reduces the World to Just Seven Nations to Bolster an Illusion of Growing 'Demand' for European Patents

The unscientific -- if not antiscientific -- attitude of the European Patent Office (EPO) continues to show with the arrival of yet more misleading 'infographics' (disinfographics would be a more suitable term)

17. Letter to Angela Merkel Expresses Concerns About Impact of EPO Scandals on Germany and Its Image

Dr. Angela Merkel, arguably the most powerful woman in the world, is being warned about the consequences of Germany ignoring (and hence facilitating) the abuses of Benoît Battistelli

18. EPO Caricature: Low Patent Quality Not an Achievement

A new cartoon about the legacy of Battistelli, which ruins both inventors and staff (examination) while handing money to abusers

19. Are Lithuania and Latvia the Latest Additions to the List of Benoît Battistelli's Vassal States?

Benoît Battistelli's 'back room' deals came at an interesting, strategic time and the Office uncharacteristically kept quiet about these

20. Links 20/3/2017: Linux 4.11 RC3, OpenSSH 7.5 Released

21. Supposedly 'Pampered' Prisoners Are Still Prisoners of the EPO

Response to those gross and familiar attempts to portray patent examiners, not politicians who trample all over them, as the cause of all the problems at the EPO

22. Insulting Reversal of Narratives at the EPO: Team Battistelli as the Victim

At times of great oppression against staff, in clear defiance of the law in fact, journalists are being asked (or expected) to view the oppressor as the victim, even when this oppressor drives people to suicide

23. Battistelli's EPO Copies China -- Not the US -- When it Comes to Patenting Software and Expanding Patent Scope

A detailed explanation of some of the latest reports from China and the US, serving to show that one opens up to software patents whereas the other shuts the door on them (and guess whose lead the EPO is taking)

24. What IAM Says About AST, RPX, Ericsson, and IBM

IAM, the trolls' mouthpiece (also the EPO's mouthpiece, but that's another story), provides updates on trolls and troll-like entities, but further commentary is needed to clarify and counterbalance the promotional language

25. Apple and Microsoft, Two Patent Aggressors That Habitually Attack GNU/Linux Distributors, Get Sued by a Patent Troll, Soverain IP

Putting in perspective the latest high-profile (in the press at least) lawsuits filed by a notorious troll, which this time around chose as its targets two patent aggressors that deserve no sympathy because of their own actions

26. What's OIN Doing While Microsoft is Siccing Patent Trolls on Azure Competitors' Customers?

Microsoft's patent litigation strategy has become clearer, and patents-centric efforts such as OIN offer no defence against such a strategy, which attempts to pressure everyone to flock to Microsoft for 'protection' (from Microsoft itself)

27. “EPO Continues to Grant Software Patents”

The longstanding concern about the granting of software patents at the EPO (typically disguised as a "device") as reinforced by T 0625/11

28. Links 19/3/2017: Linux Sightings, What's Wrong With Microsoft, and Death of Docker

29. Governance Crisis at EPO Deepens After Latest Meeting of the Administrative Council, Necessitating Urgent Outside Intervention

he EPO's Administrative Council continues to be subservient to -- and without any authority over -- Team Battistelli with its endless mischief and endless power grab, including unbridled money grab

30. EPO Management Deeply Concerned That the Public Has Found Out Quality of European Patents (EPs) Nosedived Under Battistelli's Regime

Growing pressure on the EPO's management to acknowledge that quality control has gone totally out of control as stakeholders already grasp the obvious and act accordingly, turning to other patent offices, such as their national ones (NPOs)

CoPilotCo