12.09.08

Eye on Microsoft: Failures Du Jour (XBox, Live, Vista)

Posted in FUD, Google, Hardware, Microsoft, Vista, Windows at 1:44 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

System failure
Microsoft delivers consistent behaviour

We’re very slow at posting today (might soon do an interview with the CEO of OIN), but here are some links that readers may find valuable. They are about Microsoft’s latest failures.

Microsoft Refuses To Honor A Paid Extended Warranty

A few weeks ago I received an email from Robert, a frustrated Xbox 360 owner. He was frustrated because he had paid $59.90 for an extended warranty but Microsoft would not honor it to fix his Xbox 360. He didn’t have a RROD, he had some video issues.

At 67% failure rate, this takes some nerve.

Microsoft Big Bashes Google’s Android

Speaking at Telstra’s annual investment day in Australia, the Microsoft (News – Alert) chief executive said that because it was Google’s first foray into the phone operating system space it was way behind in its efforts.

Bashing of his competition means that he doesn’t have anything of his own to market.

MS calls time on Black Friday cashback debacle

Microsoft’s second-rate search engine shut down for several hours on Black Friday, demonstrating once again Redmond’s inability to keep the motor running online.

We recently covered this miserable saga in [1, 2, 3].

ARTICLE: “Happy” Vista owners speak out on WordPress!

Carrying on from our Lord of the Shills, I decided to investigate Andre’s claims that people are happy with Vista.

For those that dont know Andre is a very active pro-MS poster on the Microsoft Watch site, unfortunately he wasnt good enough this week to win the Lord of the Shills, but Im sure he will get at least one award before the end of the year.

This post from one of our regular reader shows what a dedicated shills-fighter he is.

1. Goblin said,

December 9, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I Boycotted my 360 due to the fact that IMO Microsoft stands 100% against what I believe in (that being open source and free computing for all)

To be fair to Microsoft, I was never plagued with the issues other 360 users had. But now, enough is enough. The kids have got a WII for Xmas, and I may get a PS3 (although its looking doubtful now, as I just dont have the time to play it)

In regards to Lord of the Shills, this week we have even more shameless comments from our lovable shillers. Who will win? Its a close call, check it out on Wednesday! – One Shill to rule them all.

In all seriousness, my Lord of the Shills was created for two reasons, firstly for a cheap laugh, but more importantly to highlight the sort of underhanded tactics and downright dishonesty of a shiller. The winner of the weeks shilling award gets their claims looked at in more detail, from the people that really matter, the users of the software.

2. G. Michaels said,

December 9, 2008 at 8:47 pm

I bet Roy finds this hilarious. He knows about shills and such creatures.

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

3. G. Michaels said,

December 9, 2008 at 9:03 pm

By the way Goblin, all “shill” jokes aside, I’m actually curious about something. Your blog says:

This site is aimed at the Linux user. It highlights the wealth of free open-source software available, as well as news and views in the world of the penguin.

But all I see is negative tripe on there, just like Roy and so many other people who call themselves advocates. Do you think that you’re serving your cause by spending all your time trying to dig up (or make up, worse) negative things about other companies and people?

I’m trying to understand the process that takes people like you or Roy or his pet nymshifter from “wow, I love free software” to “OMFG M$ IS TEH EVIL AND I MUST TELL YOU ABOUT IT REPEATEDLY AND WITHOUT PAUSE UNTIL YOU HATE ME AND IF YOU COMPLAIN THEN WELL, THAT’S JUST PROOF THAT I’M RIGHT AND YOU WORK FOR M$”.

Seriously, just curious.

December 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Is it really a wonder? They have an inferiority complex. They need to put others down in order to elevate their own self-worth.

5. Ziggyfish said,

December 10, 2008 at 4:44 am

You could just delete his posts ;)

December 10, 2008 at 4:55 am

He would go even more insane. We never delete comments. Crazy hecklers and trolls should be allowed to embarrass themselves; we just don’t feed them.

7. G. Michaels said,

December 10, 2008 at 1:51 pm

He would go even more insane.

Not as insane as you or your collaborators, who base the validity of their existence on their hatred of a corporation and disrupt communities to make sure that pointless addiction to negativity is well-stoked.

Unfortunately, in the process you end up lowering yourself to the same sad level you claim your targets are at.

It must be hard to constantly live that Big Lie(TM) – the convenient delusion that the ghostly forces of evil are behind every counter-argument to your opinions, behind every single setback or criticism, working in the shadows to actively and personally undermine you, as opposed to just realizing that some people simply find you annoying and counter-productive to the advancement of the ideals you claim to be protecting.

But what do I know, I’m just a “stalker” with funny red text under my posts :)

8. Goblin said,

December 12, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Id be happy to answer your questions Mr Michaels, and Im at fault for not doing it sooner but Ive been very busy and hadnt checked back on this page for a few days.

The “wealth of open source software” that you mention is numerous on the Linux platform, and I have to appreciate that most distro’s have a standard install of alot of these packages. IMO giving Linux users views on what they are already using is a pretty pointless exercise, I try to select titles that maybe are not as well known.

On top of this unlike someone who wants to sell you things, I actually do use the software I review properly, I get to know it, find its quirks and then apply it to my real-life need. This is a time consuming process for one person, and I am sure you will appreciate (or maybe you wont) that its better to have fewer proper opinions rather than alot of rushed reviews which dont truly represent my opinions.

In addition, many of the emails I receive want more information on the underhanded tactics of proprietary companies, this is evidenced as my small blog is getting a nice little (and growing) dailly reader base, to the extent that Ive been asked if I would like to be a guest on a US radio show.

Mr Michaels, I presumed you to be more intelligent. The “Lord of The Shills” is a tongue in cheek way of exposing the misleading remarks that some people attempt to push onto the internet. It is meant to be humorous with a serious message. That is why the “winner” has their claim examined by the most important people of all, the ones that actually use the product.

I am sorry Mr Michaels you didnt understand the purpose to LOTS and I hope Ive explained it so you understand.

Would you suggest I make a separate page, explaining what I just explained to you? That way if anyone else has difficulties understanding they can refer to that page and avoid confusion.

I love the bit about “It must be hard to constantly live that Big Lie(TM) – the convenient delusion that the ghostly forces of evil are behind every counter-argument to your opinions,”

Take the posters over at MS-Watch. Ive had decent conversations with admitted Windows users. Ive celebrated the fact that they have exercised their freedom of choice, and Ive been pleased for them that they get the functionality they require from their software.

Mr Michaels, if you cant tell the difference between a poster with an honest held belief and a shill poster, I understand why you didnt comprehend what LOTS was all about. The work supporters of “freedom of choice” does make a difference, else why would we get belittled, abused and lied about? If what open source users was saying was rubbish we would simply be ignored, and more importantly Linux/open source deployment is increasing. (I wont shill by quoting stats that can be misleading)

Mr Michaels, I consider myself of sound mind. I have a house (with mortgage paid) a wife and kids. We go on holiday as time permits and the current global crisis does not have any impact on my earnings. I am in a position to buy these “wonderful” Vista laptops etc anytime I want. Why do I choose not to? Why would I choose to run a Linux system at home? Why would I waste time championing a cause that has no impact on my personal circumstances?

Maybe, just maybe I believe that open source is the way to bring free, functional and often fun computing to everyone? Maybe I dont want to see a student buying a proprietary office suite when they can get OO for free. Maybe, I would like to see a new generation embrace the ethos of open source and look forward to a future where there is no lockin, no restrictions and no issues with a computer that someone has bought.

Ill save you the time of insulting me, and call myself all the usual comments that proprietary pushers like to spout: “Fanboy”,”Linux Shill”, “Dreamer”, “Madman” is that enough?

Microsoft in my opinion has “ruled the roost” for too long. People nowadays are far more IT aware and in most of the modern avenues (IMO) MS is fighting a loosing battle. Google/MSlive, Ipod/Zune, Vista is globally renowned, for the wrong reasons. People are not upgrading and/or moving to Linux/Mac. Windows Mobile has received a hammering (and from personal experience of it on an MDA Mail, dont even get me started)

In the old days it wouldnt really matter, nowadays there are other alternatives, and I celebrate them as they are usually cheaper (or free) and invariably better.

9. Goblin said,

December 12, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Can I just add at the end though. Should Windows 7 be as amazing as MS are claiming, then I will be the first one to celebrate that too.
    If ANY proprietary firm offers functional, reliable and value for money products I would celebrate that as another worthy alternative to whatever other platforms are around at the time.

December 12, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Goblin, devour the trolls, but there’s no need to feed them.

1. IRC Proceedings: Monday, November 29, 2021

IRC logs for Monday, November 29, 2021

2. Links 29/11/2021: NuTyX 21.10.5 and CrossOver 21.1.0

3. This Apt Has Super Dumbass Powers. Linus Sebastian and Pop_OS!

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

4. [Meme] Trying to Appease Provocateurs and Borderline Trolls

GNU/Linux isn’t just a clone of Microsoft Windows and it oughtn’t be a clone of Microsoft Windows, either; some people set themselves up for failure, maybe by intention

5. Centralised Git Hosting Has a Business Model Which is Hostile Towards Developers' Interests (in Microsoft's Case, It's an Attack on Reciprocal Licensing and Persistent Manipulation)

Spying, censoring, and abusing projects/developers/users are among the perks Microsoft found in GitHub; the E.E.E.-styled takeover is being misused for perception manipulation and even racism, so projects really need to take control of their hosting (outsourcing is risky and very expensive in the long run)

6. Links 29/11/2021: FWUPD's 'Best Known Configuration' and Glimpse at OpenZFS 3.0

7. President Biden Wants to Put Microsofter in Charge of the Patent Office, Soon to Penalise Patent Applicants Who Don't Use Microsoft's Proprietary Formats

The tradition of GAFAM or GIAFAM inside the USPTO carries on (e.g. Kappos and Lee; Kappos lobbies for Microsoft and IBM, whereas Lee now works for Amazon/Bezos after a career at Google); it's hard to believe anymore that the USPTO exists to serve innovators rather than aggressive monopolists, shielding their territory by patent threats (lawsuits or worse aggression) and cross-licensing that's akin to a cartel

8. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part VIII — Mr. Graveley's Long Career Serving Microsoft's Agenda (Before Hiring by Microsoft to Work on GitHub's GPL Violations Machine)

Balabhadra (Alex) Graveley was promoting .NET (or Mono) since his young days; his current job at Microsoft is consistent with past harms to GNU/Linux, basically pushing undesirable (except to Microsoft) things to GNU/Linux users; Tomboy used to be the main reason for distro ISOs to include Mono

9. Dr. Andy Farnell on Teaching Cybersecurity in an Age of 'Fake Security'

By Dr. Andy Farnell

10. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, November 28, 2021

IRC logs for Sunday, November 28, 2021

11. Links 29/11/2021: Linux 5.16 RC3 and Lots of Patent Catch-up

12. By 2022 0% of 'News' Coverage About Patents Will Be Actual Journalism (Patent Litigation Sector Has Hijacked the World Wide Web to Disseminate Self-Promotional Misinformation)

Finding news about the EPO is almost impossible because today’s so-called ‘news’ sites are in the pockets of Benoît Battistelli, António Campinos, and their cohorts who turned the EPO into a hub of litigation, not science; this is part of an international (worldwide) problem because financial resources for journalism have run out, and so the vacuum is filled/replaced almost entirely by Public Relations (PR) and marketing

13. Trying to Appease Those Who Never Liked Free Software or Those Who Blindly Loved All Patent Monopolies to Begin With

It’s crystal clear that trying to appease everyone, all the time, is impossible; in the case of the EPO, for example, we hope that exposing Team Battistelli/Campinos helps raise awareness of the harms of patent maximalism, and when speaking about Free software — whilst occasionally bashing the alternatives (proprietary) — we hope to convince more people to join the “Good Fight”

14. Links 28/11/2021: Laravel 8.73 Released, GitHub Offline for Hours

15. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, November 27, 2021

IRC logs for Saturday, November 27, 2021

16. Links 27/11/2021: Nvidia’s DLSS Hype and Why GNU/Linux Matters

17. [Meme] Linus Gabriel Sebastian Takes GNU/Linux for a (Tail)'Spin'

If you’re trying to prove that GNU/Linux is NOT Windows, then “haha! Well done…”

18. GNU/Linux is for Freedom and It'll Gain Many Users When (or Where) People Understand What Software (or Computing) Freedom Means

Software that respects people's freedom (and by extension privacy as well) is an alluring proposition; those who choose to try GNU/Linux for the wrong reasons are likely the wrong target audience for advocates

19. Amid Reports of Microsoft's Competition Crimes in Europe...

European companies are complaining, but they seem to overlook the principal aspect of an imperialistic system with bottomless pockets (almost 30 trillion dollars in debt already; US national debt soared again last month); Microsoft is shielded by a political system with military (“defence”) as bailout budget to help cushion international expansion for data grab and technical leverage, as we've seen in the case of EPO (this is all political, not technical, and should thus be treated as a political/corruption issue)

20. Is Linus Trolling the GNU/Linux Community?

This new video responds to what many sites have been provoked into amplifying

21. Links 27/11/2021: Tux Paint 0.9.27 and SeaMonkey 1.1.19 in EasyOS

22. [Meme] Keeping Our Distance From Microsoft

The OSI is the dagger, the Linux Foundation is the knife, and many others are the sword by which Microsoft tries to get into the very heart of GNU/Linux and extinguish the Free software movement

23. Microsoft Edge Encourages Indebted Americans to Guilt-spend Just in Time for Christmas

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

24. IRC Proceedings: Friday, November 26, 2021

IRC logs for Friday, November 26, 2021

25. 38+ Years of GNU and 19+ Years of FSF Associate Membership

“On November 25, 2002,” Wikipedia notes, “the FSF launched the FSF Associate Membership program for individuals.” As the above video points out, it all started almost 40 years ago.

26. Gemini as a Platform for Gamers

Contrary to what people often assume (or are led to assume), even without client-side scripting Gemini can accomplish a great deal; early adopters, many of whom are technical, test the limits of the very minimalistic (by design and intention) specification

27. Improved Workflows: Achievement Unlocked

Today we've completed a bunch of small projects that can make us more efficient (e.g. more Daily Links per day, more articles); the above video was recorded many hours ago to accompany the outline below

28. Links 26/11/2021: New Complaint About Microsoft Competition Crimes in Europe, EuroLinux 8.5, GhostBSD 21.11.24, and Kiwi TCMS 10.5 Released

29. Links 26/11/2021: F35 Elections, Whonix 16.0.3.7, OSMC's November Refresh With Kodi 19.3

30. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, November 25, 2021