12.09.08

Eye on Microsoft: Failures Du Jour (XBox, Live, Vista)

Posted in FUD, Google, Hardware, Microsoft, Vista, Windows at 1:44 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

System failure
Microsoft delivers consistent behaviour

We’re very slow at posting today (might soon do an interview with the CEO of OIN), but here are some links that readers may find valuable. They are about Microsoft’s latest failures.

Microsoft Refuses To Honor A Paid Extended Warranty

A few weeks ago I received an email from Robert, a frustrated Xbox 360 owner. He was frustrated because he had paid $59.90 for an extended warranty but Microsoft would not honor it to fix his Xbox 360. He didn’t have a RROD, he had some video issues.

At 67% failure rate, this takes some nerve.

Microsoft Big Bashes Google’s Android

Speaking at Telstra’s annual investment day in Australia, the Microsoft (News – Alert) chief executive said that because it was Google’s first foray into the phone operating system space it was way behind in its efforts.

Bashing of his competition means that he doesn’t have anything of his own to market.

MS calls time on Black Friday cashback debacle

Microsoft’s second-rate search engine shut down for several hours on Black Friday, demonstrating once again Redmond’s inability to keep the motor running online.

We recently covered this miserable saga in [1, 2, 3].

ARTICLE: “Happy” Vista owners speak out on WordPress!

Carrying on from our Lord of the Shills, I decided to investigate Andre’s claims that people are happy with Vista.

For those that dont know Andre is a very active pro-MS poster on the Microsoft Watch site, unfortunately he wasnt good enough this week to win the Lord of the Shills, but Im sure he will get at least one award before the end of the year.

This post from one of our regular reader shows what a dedicated shills-fighter he is.

1. Goblin said,

December 9, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I Boycotted my 360 due to the fact that IMO Microsoft stands 100% against what I believe in (that being open source and free computing for all)

To be fair to Microsoft, I was never plagued with the issues other 360 users had. But now, enough is enough. The kids have got a WII for Xmas, and I may get a PS3 (although its looking doubtful now, as I just dont have the time to play it)

In regards to Lord of the Shills, this week we have even more shameless comments from our lovable shillers. Who will win? Its a close call, check it out on Wednesday! – One Shill to rule them all.

In all seriousness, my Lord of the Shills was created for two reasons, firstly for a cheap laugh, but more importantly to highlight the sort of underhanded tactics and downright dishonesty of a shiller. The winner of the weeks shilling award gets their claims looked at in more detail, from the people that really matter, the users of the software.

2. G. Michaels said,

December 9, 2008 at 8:47 pm

I bet Roy finds this hilarious. He knows about shills and such creatures.

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

3. G. Michaels said,

December 9, 2008 at 9:03 pm

By the way Goblin, all “shill” jokes aside, I’m actually curious about something. Your blog says:

This site is aimed at the Linux user. It highlights the wealth of free open-source software available, as well as news and views in the world of the penguin.

But all I see is negative tripe on there, just like Roy and so many other people who call themselves advocates. Do you think that you’re serving your cause by spending all your time trying to dig up (or make up, worse) negative things about other companies and people?

I’m trying to understand the process that takes people like you or Roy or his pet nymshifter from “wow, I love free software” to “OMFG M$ IS TEH EVIL AND I MUST TELL YOU ABOUT IT REPEATEDLY AND WITHOUT PAUSE UNTIL YOU HATE ME AND IF YOU COMPLAIN THEN WELL, THAT’S JUST PROOF THAT I’M RIGHT AND YOU WORK FOR M$”.

Seriously, just curious.

December 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Is it really a wonder? They have an inferiority complex. They need to put others down in order to elevate their own self-worth.

5. Ziggyfish said,

December 10, 2008 at 4:44 am

You could just delete his posts ;)

December 10, 2008 at 4:55 am

He would go even more insane. We never delete comments. Crazy hecklers and trolls should be allowed to embarrass themselves; we just don’t feed them.

7. G. Michaels said,

December 10, 2008 at 1:51 pm

He would go even more insane.

Not as insane as you or your collaborators, who base the validity of their existence on their hatred of a corporation and disrupt communities to make sure that pointless addiction to negativity is well-stoked.

Unfortunately, in the process you end up lowering yourself to the same sad level you claim your targets are at.

It must be hard to constantly live that Big Lie(TM) – the convenient delusion that the ghostly forces of evil are behind every counter-argument to your opinions, behind every single setback or criticism, working in the shadows to actively and personally undermine you, as opposed to just realizing that some people simply find you annoying and counter-productive to the advancement of the ideals you claim to be protecting.

But what do I know, I’m just a “stalker” with funny red text under my posts :)

8. Goblin said,

December 12, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Id be happy to answer your questions Mr Michaels, and Im at fault for not doing it sooner but Ive been very busy and hadnt checked back on this page for a few days.

The “wealth of open source software” that you mention is numerous on the Linux platform, and I have to appreciate that most distro’s have a standard install of alot of these packages. IMO giving Linux users views on what they are already using is a pretty pointless exercise, I try to select titles that maybe are not as well known.

On top of this unlike someone who wants to sell you things, I actually do use the software I review properly, I get to know it, find its quirks and then apply it to my real-life need. This is a time consuming process for one person, and I am sure you will appreciate (or maybe you wont) that its better to have fewer proper opinions rather than alot of rushed reviews which dont truly represent my opinions.

In addition, many of the emails I receive want more information on the underhanded tactics of proprietary companies, this is evidenced as my small blog is getting a nice little (and growing) dailly reader base, to the extent that Ive been asked if I would like to be a guest on a US radio show.

Mr Michaels, I presumed you to be more intelligent. The “Lord of The Shills” is a tongue in cheek way of exposing the misleading remarks that some people attempt to push onto the internet. It is meant to be humorous with a serious message. That is why the “winner” has their claim examined by the most important people of all, the ones that actually use the product.

I am sorry Mr Michaels you didnt understand the purpose to LOTS and I hope Ive explained it so you understand.

Would you suggest I make a separate page, explaining what I just explained to you? That way if anyone else has difficulties understanding they can refer to that page and avoid confusion.

I love the bit about “It must be hard to constantly live that Big Lie(TM) – the convenient delusion that the ghostly forces of evil are behind every counter-argument to your opinions,”

Take the posters over at MS-Watch. Ive had decent conversations with admitted Windows users. Ive celebrated the fact that they have exercised their freedom of choice, and Ive been pleased for them that they get the functionality they require from their software.

Mr Michaels, if you cant tell the difference between a poster with an honest held belief and a shill poster, I understand why you didnt comprehend what LOTS was all about. The work supporters of “freedom of choice” does make a difference, else why would we get belittled, abused and lied about? If what open source users was saying was rubbish we would simply be ignored, and more importantly Linux/open source deployment is increasing. (I wont shill by quoting stats that can be misleading)

Mr Michaels, I consider myself of sound mind. I have a house (with mortgage paid) a wife and kids. We go on holiday as time permits and the current global crisis does not have any impact on my earnings. I am in a position to buy these “wonderful” Vista laptops etc anytime I want. Why do I choose not to? Why would I choose to run a Linux system at home? Why would I waste time championing a cause that has no impact on my personal circumstances?

Maybe, just maybe I believe that open source is the way to bring free, functional and often fun computing to everyone? Maybe I dont want to see a student buying a proprietary office suite when they can get OO for free. Maybe, I would like to see a new generation embrace the ethos of open source and look forward to a future where there is no lockin, no restrictions and no issues with a computer that someone has bought.

Ill save you the time of insulting me, and call myself all the usual comments that proprietary pushers like to spout: “Fanboy”,”Linux Shill”, “Dreamer”, “Madman” is that enough?

Microsoft in my opinion has “ruled the roost” for too long. People nowadays are far more IT aware and in most of the modern avenues (IMO) MS is fighting a loosing battle. Google/MSlive, Ipod/Zune, Vista is globally renowned, for the wrong reasons. People are not upgrading and/or moving to Linux/Mac. Windows Mobile has received a hammering (and from personal experience of it on an MDA Mail, dont even get me started)

In the old days it wouldnt really matter, nowadays there are other alternatives, and I celebrate them as they are usually cheaper (or free) and invariably better.

9. Goblin said,

December 12, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Can I just add at the end though. Should Windows 7 be as amazing as MS are claiming, then I will be the first one to celebrate that too.
    If ANY proprietary firm offers functional, reliable and value for money products I would celebrate that as another worthy alternative to whatever other platforms are around at the time.

December 12, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Goblin, devour the trolls, but there’s no need to feed them.

1. Links 27/1/2020: Linux 5.5 is Out, Work on Linux 5.6 Commences, New Solus and Award for Andrew Tridgell

2. EPO: Goodbye to the Rule of Law and Hey Hi, AI!

The EPO’s embrace of buzzwords — no longer a unique EPO strategy (it has already spread elsewhere) — puts examiners in a very bad position and they’re grappling with nerve- and mind-racking dilemmas (risk of unemployment for truly upholding the EPC)

3. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, January 26, 2020

IRC logs for Sunday, January 26, 2020

4. Links 26/1/2020: MuseScore 3.4 Released, New Kate Icon and Solus 4.1 Fortitude Available

5. MIT and Microsoft Have Done Nothing to Actually Tackle Pedophilia and Ephebophilia

MIT never actually resolved the issue that caused Joi Ito, Richard Stallman and others to be ejected; Microsoft meanwhile continues to profit from life-changing abuse (while seeding puff pieces in friendly media, just to pretend otherwise)

6. Opinion: If You Advocate Population Control and You Are Yourself Doubling in One Single Generation, Then You Might be Hypocritical

People with 3-5 children (each) tell us that the world has an overpopulation problem; while the growth of the population certainly poses a risk, these people lack the moral authority to lecture us about that (unless they adopt a eugenicist worldview, wherein only particular people are permitted to reproduce)

7. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, January 25, 2020

IRC logs for Saturday, January 25, 2020

8. Nothing Has Truly Changed Since Netscape and Antitrust

The same old crimes persist, as well as the blatantly anticompetitive behaviour

9. When the Monopolists and the Patent Litigation Industry Hijack the News They Control the Narrative

Money buys perception and litigation firms have certainly 'bought' the media coverage, which fails to convey the issue at stake and instead paints a rational court decision as tragedy for "innovation" (by "innovation" they mean monopolies on nature and on life)

10. Links 25/1/2020: OPNsense 20.1 RC1 and DXVK 1.5.2

11. The Linux Kernel is No Longer Free Software?

Gardiner Bryant, the creator of The Linux Gamer as well as The Off Topical Podcast, reacts to our articles about DRM in Linux (he even pronounced my name correctly)

12. Sometimes Proprietary Software is Proprietary (Secret) Simply Because It is Not Good and Obfuscation Helps Hide Just How Ugly It Is

Why nonfree (or proprietary) software generally fails to catch up with Free/libre software — at least on technical grounds — and then makes up for it with marketing and FUD offensives (discrediting perfectly-functioning things, based on their perceived cost)

13. IRC Proceedings: Friday, January 24, 2020

IRC logs for Friday, January 24, 2020

14. Links 24/1/2020: GNU/Linux in Russia and More New Openings

15. When EPO Press Coverage Boils Down to Lobbying, Press Releases, EPO Lies, and Bribery

Any attempts to properly assess and explain what happens in Europe's patent landscape are being drowned out by EPO-bribed and law firms-connected media; to make matters worse, the EPO's bribes have expanded to academia, so even scholarly work in this domain is corrupted by money of special interest groups

16. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, January 23, 2020

IRC logs for Thursday, January 23, 2020

17. Links 23/1/2020: Qubes OS 4.0.3, EasyOS 2.2.5, GhostBSD 20.01

18. Passion of the Microsoft

A rough timeline of Microsoft’s interactions with Linux and the Linux Foundation since 2015

19. The Patent Microcosm is Really Panicking as European Patents on Life and Other Spurious Junk (Invalid Patents) Are Successfully Rejected

European Patents (EPs) may be revoked en masse if what we're seeing is the gradual emergence of 'European Mayo' (and maybe soon 'European Alice')

20. Distractions From Microsoft's Gigantic Tax Evasion and Contribution to Denial of Climate Science

Microsoft (connected to oil companies) wants us to think of it as a "green" company; not only does it contribute to climate denial but it also evades tax, which is a serious crime that costs tens of billions of dollars (the public pays this money instead)

21. Confirmation: System1/Startpage Offered Pay to People Who Pushed for (Re)Listing in Privacy Directories

The debate is now settled; those arguing in favour of listing Startpage as privacy-respecting are in fact secretly 'compensated' by Startpage (in other words, they're Startpage 'shills')

22. Vandana Shiva: “Bill Gates is Continuing the Work of Monsanto”

A recent interview on what Bill Gates is really up to in that sham ‘charity’ of his

23. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, January 22, 2020

IRC logs for Wednesday, January 22, 2020

24. Extending Linux With DRM, Azure and exFAT

An insufficiently 'conservative' Linux ceases to be freedom-respecting

25. Linux Foundation (LF) Now Dominated by Lots of Microsoft People and LF Chiefs Join Microsoft in Smearing GPL/Copyleft

We continue to see additional evidence which serves towards reinforcing our view that the so-called 'Linux' Foundation is actually hostile towards many things that are associated with Linux (unlike those looking to exploit/hijack Linux for proprietary ends)

26. Links 22/1/2020: Wayland 1.18 Alpha, ODF 1.3 Approved

27. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, January 21, 2020

IRC logs for Tuesday, January 21, 2020

28. Poor Excuses for Granting Poor (and Often Illegal/Invalid) Patents

A quick look at some of the latest examples of software patents advocacy (not by actual software professionals, obviously) and why it's deeply misguided (or guided solely by greedy law firms)

29. A Simple Plan For a Universal Free Software Community

"For software to be free as in freedom, we need more people to care personally about software freedom."

30. Links 21/1/2020: Wine 5.0 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 Beta