12.31.08

Could Microsoft Use Novell for Infighting, Forking, and Distraction?

Posted in Fork, Microsoft, Novell, Office Suites, OpenOffice, SUN at 8:38 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Keeping developers helpless and divided

SEVERAL Web sites accentuate issues of disagreement which are related to OpenOffice.org. Here is just one new example. They are using old news [1, 2, 3] and sometimes promote Novell’s fork the software [1, 2, 3, 4].

“It’s the same with GNOME and KDE; mutual damage helps nobody but the outsider, in this case Microsoft.”Infighting that’s led by Microsoft is an issue that we covered before, using examples. Those who look at Microsoft's "TE" material will find that causing ‘civil wars’ is one of their key strategies (finding sources of friction, then stirring things up), so by funding Novell and enabling/having them fork and insult OpenOffice.org they distract their competitors, who will fight among themselves rather than against Microsoft Office. It’s the same with GNOME and KDE; mutual damage helps nobody but the outsider, in this case Microsoft.

So where is it all coming from? Well, it mostly comes from Novell and it successfully penetrates and deceives some reporters, who fail to see the full picture:

And about this “we, the media” thing you brought up: Meeks has a conflict of interest that you don’t do a particularly good job of pointing out. If he works for Novell and Novell is in bed with MSFT, why should we simply take him at his word without questioning whether he has any vested interest one way or the other as to the corporate “sponsor(s)” of OpenOffice? Does this relationship have anything to do at all with Sun’s “difficulty”? As a managing editor of a news outlet, this is something I’d take my team to task for failing point out in reporting. By “we, the media” you’d better mean you and the mouse in your hand.

It would be interesting if Novell tried to seize control of other Free software in the future. CUPS, for example, belongs to Apple now, but that’s a wholly separate story.

Red face

1. Ian said,

December 31, 2008 at 8:45 am

Wasn’t it determined that you can’t both patch upstream and fork at the same time?

2. Chris said,

December 31, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Oh boy, repeating your mad babblings over and over wont make it any truer but will simply make you look even more dumb.

So, just for the record, let me state it once more:

A patchset is no fork and a fork is no patchset!

And since go-oo is a patchset against the latest OpenOffice it can’t be a fork. And no, that single post from that SUN guy who claimed it to be a fork doesn’t make it right either.

December 31, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Sun’s VP of open source alleged at one stage that this was technically “a fork”.

December 31, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Division in this case is harmful and sharing of patches is already limited. If Sun has resolved this issue with Novell, then this is good news, but I need it confirmed by Sun (the victim).

5. Chris said,

December 31, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Jeez, you really don’t get it, do you?

1. I care if “Sun’s VP of open source” is calling it a fork about as much as the pope calling the earth a disk.

The point simply is that it isn’t true. A fork is by definition a split from a common codebase into two independent projects with different development lines which simply isn’t the case here because all go-oo is is a big patchset against the current OpenOffice release.

2. Why do you think go-oo exists?! Although you apparently refuse to believe it, and like others already told you over and over, go-oo tries to get its patches upstream. Some get accepted, some get rejected and so on. Now what should be the correct solution (according to you) for stuff that got rejected upstream (for whatever reason) but still adds functionality? Should it be dropped cause it was rejected upstream? I for one am pretty happy I still can get it with go-oo.

3. Calling SUN a “victim” is completely ridiculous if you finally stop looking only at the part of the story that fits your little world.

December 31, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Don’t forget who contributes the most.

7. Chris said,

December 31, 2008 at 3:13 pm

And that answers what question? As usual you are simply avoiding any answer …

So let me list it up for you:

1. Why do you think go-oo exists?

2. What should be the correct solution (according to you) for stuff that got rejected upstream (for whatever reason) but still adds functionality?

3. Why is SUN a victim?

PS: I would guess / hope that SUN has the most people working on OpenOffice since they sell it also as StarOffice (which might be the explanation why some stuff doesn’t get into OpenOffice) but that’s not the point here.

8. pcolon said,

December 31, 2008 at 3:19 pm

It’s not a fork, then I can go to Openoffice.org and download go-oo.

December 31, 2008 at 3:23 pm

1. Why do you think go-oo exists?

We both know the obvious answer, but there is more to it, in my humble opinion, as I will state below.

If the pool of patches is centralised, then it needs to be distanced from Novell, which cannot be trusted (and yet it strives to have control of the ‘pool’).

3. Why is SUN a victim?

Sun wants to monetise its work. Novell wants to take Sun’s money off the table by promoting Microsoft technologies that are Sun-hostile and also — by extension — harm GNU/Linux (not SUSE Linux).

10. Jose_X said,

December 31, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Chris, get your definition of a fork straight. You can patch GNOME to turn it into KDE. Having a “patchset” doesn’t mean anything magical. A simple automatic diff done on what go-ooo keeps inhouse against whatever Sun is doing will lead to a “patchset”.

If you can’t remember what a fork means, look it up on wikipedia or at least provide some other source if you think wikipedia is out of their mind. I actually think the wikipedia definition makes a lot of sense.

Here is what I wrote on LT recently: http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-12-31-005-35-OS-NV-0000

11. Jose_X said,

December 31, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Chris, my apologies for picking nits since I think you were actually talking about a significantly divergent fork.

I think forking is good. Most would call these “branches”, at least if they are being managed by the same community managing the main branch.

What I don’t like is helping out Monopolysoft when it’s so easy to take a different path.

December 31, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Roy: where do you see Novell trying to maintain control of the Go-OO patches?

January 1, 2009 at 2:45 am

Where did I say they did?

January 1, 2009 at 8:40 am

Right here:

January 1, 2009 at 10:35 am

Domain ID:D105535482-LROR
    Domain Name:GO-OO.ORG
    Created On:07-Jan-2005 09:37:13 UTC
    Last Updated On:16-Nov-2007 14:50:45 UTC
    Expiration Date:07-Jan-2010 09:37:13 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:CSL Computer Service Langenbach GmbH d/b/a joker.com a German GmbH (R25-LROR)
    Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:

16. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 11:54 am

Oh, wow; they do have a PHYSICAL server with an adress… Gosh, surprise! Oh, wow, it’s a Novell server; who would have tought?

And what has this got to do with ‘control of the patches’? Nothing.

Next you’ll tell us that OpenOffice.org is hosted on a SUN server.

Instead, we all would much prefer it if you anwered the question Dan asked instead of trying to weazle your way out of answering, as usual.

Again:

Roy: where do you see Novell trying to maintain control of the Go-OO patches?

January 1, 2009 at 12:09 pm

See this for a bit of background. As I recall it, Novell manages the code.

January 1, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Novell contributes most of the patches to Go-OO, yes, but that does not mean they attempt to control it. They do not require copyright assignment and everyone is able to contribute (unlike OOo).

19. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Roy, you’re weazling. Answer straight, don’t point to some unrelated gibberish you wrote up yourself for ‘reference’. Straight answer, one sentence.

January 1, 2009 at 12:18 pm

There is nothing preventing them from committing patches that mostly benefit their big partner and funding source (Mono, MOOX, etc).

January 1, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Wilbert,

May I ask if you are connected to SUSE? Just a user?

22. Chris said,

January 1, 2009 at 12:31 pm

The code is at http://svn.gnome.org/svn/ooo-build/trunk so its more controlled by Gnome than by Novell but since the argumentation anyways will go like “but the bad Novell employee has commit access, so M$ controls the code” it doesn’t matter I guess …

Besides that, Roy, if you would read what you link to, you would have noticed that your preferred solution (3rd party pool of patches that aren’t accepted by SUN and controlled by a non-profit organization) is exactly what that poor guy you are trying to flame all the time wishes what would happen. Although this would only happen if SUN gets into the boat as well which wont happen anytime soon I guess.

@Jose_X Sure, you can patch Gnome in to KDE or the other way round with the right patchset (and surely you better generate that automatically … ;D) but that’s kinda missing the point.

IMHO a fork is when 2 different products emerge from one shared codebase and then continue to grow in two independent development lines. This isn’t the case with go-oo since it’s always a patchset against the latest official OpenOffice build (and therefore there aren’t two independent development lines). You don’t believe this? Just look into their SVN repository (URL a few lines above) ;P

I agree that it probably would be a branch if it would be developed by the same guys but IMHO calling it a fork is just over the top. Also, IIRC, the wikipedia definition calls everything that is modified in a single bit a fork which is kinda stupid IMHO since basically every packager who applies a patch would be forking a project.

@Roy: Please, do us a favor and ask that SUN guy who called go-oo an hostile fork why they want their branding on it (in Ubuntu) since that is kinda a contradiction. I guess his argumentation would be “interesting” ;)

Or is it more like said at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-December/006586.html
    and a few reasons for the existence go-oo might even be true? *gasp* … :P

January 1, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Thanks, I knew where it’s located. Back in 2007, I could find “Novell” in some footers around the code/accompanying pages. I’d need to recheck though

I hardly care for Sun. I care about some projects they have, such as Java that we very much need.

I never asked. I was contacted. I’m not about to approach Sun, sorry.

24. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Teh, the typical knee-jerk reaction. Yes, I use openSUSE; no I don’t develop, I don’t work at Novell, I don’t work in the IT business or anything related to that. But I have a special place in my heart for truthbenders, thus I’m here with you…

That was me, now your turn:

Answer my question (Dan’s question) straight.

25. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 12:43 pm

In case you hoped we forgot the question, it was:

Roy: where do you see Novell trying to maintain control of the Go-OO patches?

January 1, 2009 at 12:48 pm

The hands on the spigot. Just look how this fork started (Kohei, Meeks and others).

27. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 12:53 pm

You’re talking nonsense. You conveniently overlooked that Chris just (tried to) enlighten you that Michael Meeks pushes for a NPO-controlled pool of patches; which is pretty much what you yourself would like to see…

Doesn’t fit into you rant, so you omit it, eh?

“Hands on the spigot”? Laughable! What spigot? Don’t talk flowery to us. Where is your spigot? C’m on, show us your little spigot, Roy…

28. Chris said,

January 1, 2009 at 1:06 pm

So the SVN repository is located @ svn.gnome.org and apparently hosted by Canonical but go-oo is still bad since it was created by some Novell folks who were fed up with the way SUN is handling contributions to OpenOffice.

Further it doesn’t matter that they (the go-oo people) want the same as you (Roy) (a NPO-controlled pool of patches that is) since they are still from “bad bad Novell” ™ and therefore have to be evil.

I’m sorry, that’s probably my bad since I thought, just for a moment, it would be worth the time to normally argue with you based on facts. However, those one sided view at everything while ignoring everything that doesn’t fit into your little world is exactly what makes this site so ridiculous (except for nutters like “twitter”) and what drives every sane people away (like it apparently happened to Shane).

January 1, 2009 at 1:10 pm

You’re essentially asking me to throw away my personal assessment or else be abused with cheap shots like “Where is your spigot? C’m on, show us your little spigot, Roy…”

30. Chris said,

January 1, 2009 at 1:21 pm

No, in fact I couldn’t care less about your spigot.

What I expect you to do is to stop making up stuff by purposely showing one side of the story and totally ignoring the other part just because it doesn’t fit your “bad bad Novell” ™ theory.

Simply stick with the truth and present the facts instead of some far fetched speculations which then are used to back some other “facts”. Perhaps then you will actually succeed in your quest (_IF_ there is a point / reason behind this) and convince normal people (read as not nutters like e.g. “twitter”).

January 1, 2009 at 1:34 pm

There must be a lot of “nutters” out there because we had almost 10,000 visits yesterday.

I don’t have to accept an opinion which I find erroneous given what I’ve read and learned. I try to separate the marketing gunk from the truth.

32. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Hm. Read: “I don’t have to accept facts”?

33. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Oh, not every hit is a ‘believer’. Some come for contradicting you, some come for watching the circus (that’s what you’ve made of it) in disbelief.

January 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Things Novell says are arguments, not facts. I can accept them based on judgment.

Companies lie. They call it “marketing”.

35. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Roy: where do you see Novell trying to maintain control of the Go-OO patches?

January 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I showed you earlier. Besides, where do you think the Go-OO idea came from?

37. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 1:59 pm

No you didn’t. Don’t pretend you did.

38. Will said,

January 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm

…or I will say ‘spigot’. ;-)

Seriously, what did you mean by that word? It didn’t answer any part of the question.

39. Chris said,

January 1, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Sure you are free to have your own opinion, I would never deny that.

What I mean is simply idiotic stuff like your go-oo rants that claim it would be an hostile fork with the purpose to get Novell in control of OpenOffice and totally neglect the other side, like:

1. it was only founded because SUNs way of getting stuff into core OpenOffice is kinda “suboptimal” (as in many bureaucratic hurdles, stuff gets rejected cause they want it only in their commercial StarOffice product or for various other reasons).

2. Core OpenOffice is a total bitch to build – one of the main targets of go-oo was to make this much easier.

3. go-oo tries to get its patches into OpenOffice (that “omg its a fork” implies the opposite)

4. The preferred solutions of the go-oo people is the same as yours (a NPO organization managing the patch pool / OpenOffice).

5. and so on

The point simply is that you should present the whole picture and not only the parts of it that you like cause they fit your view of the world.

January 1, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Novell pours Mono and MOOX out the code barrel (Microsoft’s proprietary technology).

January 1, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Chris,

For multiple points of view, read more than one Web site. I know I always do.

42. Chris said,

January 1, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Then perhaps you better rename the subtitle of your page from

Exploring the reality behind exclusionary deals with Microsoft and their subtle (yet severe) implications

into something like

Exploring my subjective point of view behind exclusionary deals with Microsoft and their subtle (yet severe) implications while ignoring everything that doesn’t fit into my little world.

That’s what you want?

January 1, 2009 at 2:28 pm

You’re suggesting that your point of view is correct and mine is incorrect; that’s just fascism. I’m entitled to my opinion, which I based of evidence that I gather.

44. Chris said,

January 1, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Er … no?!

I’m suggesting that your “point of view” is artificially made up by purposefully neglecting everything that doesn’t fit into your never ending ranting that “bad bad Novell” ™ is the devil and thereby creating a subjective point of view that is far from being objective.

And, because it isn’t objective, it therefore doesn’t deserve the word “reality” (as in objective reality) but more “subjective point of view” (as in the way you see only what you want and completely ignore the rest). So your heading is wrong and you better fix it since it might give more people a wrong impression.

45. casanunda said,

January 1, 2009 at 6:24 pm

>Novell pours Mono and MOOX out the
    >code barrel (Microsoft’s proprietary technology).

Don’t mind my asking but what does this have to do with Novell trying to maintain control of the Go-OO patches?

January 1, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Novell can merge things that make its partner happy. They do have ongoing collaborations.

“[The partnership with Microsoft is] going very well insofar as we originally agreed to co-operate on three distinct projects and now we’re working on nine projects and there’s a good list of 19 other projects that we plan to co-operate on.”

Ron Hovsepian, Novell CEO

47. casanunda said,

January 1, 2009 at 6:29 pm

No, I meant, how does ‘pouring out Mono’ (whatever that has to do with OpenOffice) help Novell control the Go-OO patches?

January 1, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Go-ooXML facilitates Mono extensions and has a dependency.

49. casanunda said,

January 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Yeah, bad, bad.

But how does this help Novell ‘maintain control’ of the go-oo patchset?

January 1, 2009 at 6:37 pm

This is less than related to “control of patches”.

51. casanunda said,

January 1, 2009 at 6:43 pm

So then you replied something unrelated to the question. Why?

January 1, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Not quite.

Influence and control are separate issues. Novell does not control this patchset with an iron fist, but it is able to sneak into it some of its exclusively-’protected’ stuff, which will in turn be funneled into ‘unprotected’ distributions.

53. casanunda said,

January 2, 2009 at 6:20 am

What in the world has ‘sneaking in’ what you call ‘protected stuff’ (and I think this is very much subject to discussion) to do with ‘maintaining control’ of the go-oo patchset? (And I suspect the answer is ‘nothing’.)

1. Links 19/4/2018: Mesa 17.3.9 and 18.0.1, Trisquel 8.0 LTS Flidas, Elections for openSUSE Board

2. The Patent Microcosm, Patent Trolls and Their Pressure Groups Incite a USPTO Director Against the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and Section 101/Alice

As one might expect, the patent extremists continue their witch-hunt and constant manipulation of USPTO officials, whom they hope to compel to become patent extremists themselves (otherwise those officials are defamed, typically until they're fired or decide to resign)

3. Microsoft's Lobbying for FRAND Pays Off as Microsoft-Connected Patent Troll Conversant (Formerly MOSAID) Goes After Android OEMs in Europe

The FRAND (or SEP) lobby seems to have caused a lot of monopolistic patent lawsuits; this mostly affects Linux-powered platforms such as Android, Tizen and webOS and there are new legal actions from Microsoft-connected patent trolls

4. To Understand Why People Say That Lawyers are Liars Look No Further Than Misleading Promotion of Software Patents

Some of the latest misleading claims from the patent microcosm, which is only interested in lots and lots of patents (its bread and butter is monopolies after all) irrespective of their merit, quality, and desirability

5. When News About the EPO is Dominated by Sponsored 'Reports' and Press Releases Because Publishers Are Afraid of (or Bribed by) the EPO

The lack of curiosity and genuine journalism in Europe may mean that serious abuses (if not corruption) will go unreported

6. The Boards of Appeal at the European Patent Organisation (EPO) Complain That They Are Understaffed, Not Just Lacking the Independence They Depend on

The Boards of Appeal have released a report and once again they openly complain that they're unable to do their job properly, i.e. patent quality cannot be assured

7. Links 18/4/2018: New Fedora 27 ISOs, Nextcloud Wins German Government Contract

8. Guest Post: Responding to Your Recent Posting “The European Patent Office Will Never Hold Its Destroyers Accountable”

In France, where Battistelli does not enjoy diplomatic immunity, he can be held accountable like his "padrone" recently was

9. The EPO in 2018: Partnering With Saudi Arabia and Cambodia (With Zero European Patents)

The EPO's status in the world has declined to the point where former French colonies and countries with zero European Patents are hailed as "success stories" for Battistelli

10. For Samsung and Apple the Biggest Threat Has Become Patent Trolls and Aggressors in China and the Eastern District of Texas, Not Each Other

The latest stories about two of the world's largest phone OEMs, both of which find themselves subjected to a heavy barrage of patent lawsuits and even embargoes; Samsung has meanwhile obtained an antisuit injunction against Huawei

11. The EPO Continues to Lie About Patent Quality Whilst Openly Promoting Software Patents, Even Outside Europe

EPO patent quality continues to sink while EPO management lies about it and software patents are openly being promoted/advocatedEPO patent quality continues to sink while EPO management lies about it (the article above is new) and software patents are openly being promoted/advocated

12. SCOTUS on WesternGeco v Ion Geophysical Almost Done; Will Oil States Decision Affirm the PTAB's Quality Assurance (IPRs) Soon?

Ahead of WesternGeco and Oil States, following oral proceedings, it's expected that the highest court in the United States will deliver more blows to patent maximalism

13. Links 17/4/2018: Linux 5.x Plans and Microsoft's 'Embrace'

14. The European Patent Office (EPO) Grants Patents in Error, Insiders Are Complaining That It's the Management's Fault

The EPO has languished to the point where patents are granted in error, examiners aren't happy, and the resultant chaos benefits no-one but lawyers and patent trolls

15. The European Patent Office Will Never Hold Its Destroyers Accountable

With only one in seven EPO stakeholders believing that Battistelli's pick (António Campinos) will turn things around for the better, it certainly does not seem like people are happy and there's no real hope that Battistelli will ever be held accountable for his abuses after his immunity expires

16. With Liars Like These...

The European Patent Office continues to lie about the Unified Patent Court (UPC) amongst other things, still revealing its reluctance to say anything which is truthful or work to repair the damage caused by Benoît Battistelli

17. Links 16/4/2018: Linux 4.17 RC 1, Mesa 18.0.1 RC, GNOME 3.28.1

18. IAM, Patently-O and Watchtroll (the Patent Trolls' Lobby) Try to Stop Patent Oppositions/Petitions (PTAB)

In spite of fee hikes, introduced by Iancu's interim predecessor, petitions (IPRs) at the PTAB continue to grow in number and the patent maximalists are losing their minds over it

19. The Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) is Ending Software Patents One Patent at a Time

At an accelerating pace and with growing determination, PTAB (part of AIA) crushes patent trolls and software patents; the statistics and latest stories speak for themselves

20. Academics and Think Tanks for Patent Maximalism

Right-wing think tanks and impressionable academics continue to lobby for patent maximalism, rarely revealing the funding sources and motivations; in reality, however, such maximalism mainly helps large (already-wealthy) corporations, monopolists, and law firms

21. Killing Patent Quality and Encouraging 'Covert' Software Patents Using the Buzzwords Du Jour

The epidemic of buzzwords and/or hype waves that are being exploited to dodge or bypass patent scope/limitations, as seen in Europe and the US these days

22. Crisis of Quality at the EPO Extends to Staff (Notably Examiners) and Management as Institutional Integrity is Severely Compromised

A rather pessimistic but likely realistic outlook for the European Patent Office (EPO), which seems unable to attract the sort of staff it attracted for a number of decades

23. The 'Blockchaining' of Software Patents (to Dodge the Rules/Guidelines) Now Coming to Europe

A lot of software patents are being declared invalid (or not granted in the first place); having said that, using all sorts of hype waves (like calling databases “blockchains”) firms and individuals manage to still be granted software patents and sometimes patent trolls hoard these

24. Links 14/4/2018: Wine 3.6, KDE Elisa 0.1

25. East Asia Should Have Adopted the Patent Strategy of South Asia, Notably India

China seems to be so interested in patent maximalism that it has lost sight of the effect on foreign investment, e.g. US/European/Taiwanese/Japanese/Korean firms operating/manufacturing in mainland China

26. Samsung is the 'New IBM', Sans the Trolling With Patents

The 'relic' company, IBM, loses its patent leadership (as measured using some yardstick) to Samsung, a company which is relatively calm when it comes to patent activity (unless/only when sued, as happens a lot nowadays)

27. David Barcelou May or May Not be a Patent Troll, But He is Certainly a SLAPPing Bully and Watchtroll is Fine With It

Like a thin-skinned person/entity (which many in the patent microcosm are), David Barcelou and Automated Transactions (“ATL”) SLAPP their critics and surprisingly enough it's Watchtroll, who has been threatened by WIPO, coming to the bully's rescue (double standards)

28. Links 12/4/2018: Stable New Kernels, Neptune 5.1

29. The USPTO Has a Nepotism and Lobbying Problem That Jeopardises the Rationality of US Patent Law

The influence games of Washington are spilling over to the US patent office and poisoning/harming its ability to conduct professional operations without corporate influence (from either side, both corporations and law firms)

30. Patent Trolls in the United States Show the Importance of Stopping Software Patents (Trolls' Favourite) Worldwide

The abundance of entities that exist for no purpose other than to initiate lawsuits is a contagious threat to real innovation (or science and technology being practiced); a new jury verdict (record-breaking $500,000,000) is a reminder of this

CoPilotCo