01.03.09

Do-No-Evil Saturday – Part I: OpenSUSE… Plus a Little Bit of SLED and Xandros

Posted in GNU/Linux, Mandriva, Novell, OpenSUSE, SLES/SLED, Ubuntu, Xandros at 3:56 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

OpenSUSE

BEING A PERIOD of holidays, not much has been heralded by companies, so commercial distributions did not receive as much coverage as an (relatively) open-ended project like OpenSUSE.

Some more people have been installing OpenSUSE over the holidays and they wrote about their experiences. Marc Fearby believes that OpenSUSE defeats Mandriva and he defends this position by comparing different versions of KDE4.

Even though I cited one more not-so-good aspect to openSUSE than good, I am very impressed with it. It seems much more polished than Mandriva, thanks to the Folder View support in KDE 4 as well as the installer and YaST overall. If openSUSE could find some way to improve mouse support then I’ll even pay for my next version or donate or whatever is the done thing to show one’s appreciation. Like most distros, it’s always the video, sound, and peripherals that are still the major issues, so I hope for some improvement in this area overall (particularly getting rid of all those sound systems). But I’m not going to back to Windows. No way!

Here is another experience with OpenSUSE 11.1.

If I get that configured correctly, I’ll be totally happy. Sound works, wireless network works (but it’s still more convenient to use ifup instead of network manager, but the 11.0 bug where I’d have to restart the wireless network after booting to get it working is fixed. KDE looks great and feel very stable and I’m already recompiling KOffice.

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols published a comparison involving what he considers to be new big releases and the article appeared in several IDG-owned Web sites. He also mentioned SLED here and so did Jack Germain, who took on a sub-notebooks journey.

Techie Moe, who is one of the harshest reviewers out there (bar Béranger perhaps) took a look at the latest release of OpenSUSE.

SuSE and I have a long and generally pleasant history. I was one of those guys who would actually go to my local electronics store and purchase the new boxed version every six months or so.

At least, that was the story with SuSE up until version 10.3. At that point, things started to go decidedly downhill, and it hasn’t been until relatively recently that I’m beginning to feel comfortable again.

Unfortunately, this release didn’t help my already shaky resolve with openSuSE. Read on to see why.

Here is another one.

There have been mixed reviews for OpenSuSE 11.1, some lauding it while others panning it for a disaster almost as bad as the 10.1 release mostly surrounding KDE-4 desktop choice. The desktop environment is so much a part of a distro nowadays that normal users do not usually make the distinction between what is the distro and what is the desktop environment. For them, KDE or OpenSuSE they are both the same. For me I applaud the OpenSuSE team for taking a brave new step ahead! KDE-4 has it’s faults no doubt but as usual I put my total trust in the OpenSource community to mold into something better than the current 3.5.x. I will still look forward to keeping OpenSuSE as my main working distro.

Moving on to some technical writings, here is one person’s experience adopting the very latest release.

Over the Christmas I set about updating from OpenSuSE 11.0 to OpenSuSE 11.1. I always like to have the latest and greatest distro :-)

There are those who experiment with the unfinished implementation of the ext4 file-system and there are also some new HOWTOs out there. Nothing truly exciting though, but there are more picks at the OpenSUSE Web site, whose summary/overview is:

* openSUSE Education available SLE10 and 11.1
* Zimbra Mail Server Training in Indonesia
* Q&A with Joe Brockmeier
* Forums: Getting VMware to run on openSUSE 11.1
* Best of Newsletter 2008

SUSE (SLES/SLED)

The H-P-SUSE relationship made a lot of headlines last month and it was mentioned very briefly in this article from The Independent.

To provide customers with more cost-effective and secure computing options, HP, the leader in worldwide Linux server shipments and revenue, has introduced a new desktop offering with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop from Novell on the HP Compaq dc5850.

Sean Michael Kerner sums up a year and also comments on Novell.

In 2009, Novell will roll out Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 its first update since SLES 10 in 2006.

[...]

On the legal front, SCO — yes, it will still exist in 2009 — will continue its myriad appeals against Novell and attempt to press for a court date with IBM.

Sean also approached a Novell employee for a comment on Linux:

“The ext4 filesystem, the successor to the ext3 filesystem, has been marked stable enough for people to start using and relying on,” Novell Linux kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman told InternetNews.com.

[...]

“We now have a proper memory manager for video memory, the GEM [Graphics Execution Manager] memory manager,” Kroah-Hartman said. “This gives Linux much better graphics performance than it previously had.”

Xandros

Some reviews of the Eee PC carried on coming and from the Indian press came this article which mentions Xandros by name (that becomes more of a rarity because of Microsoft tricks).

The computer has built-in wireless, a LAN port plus a couple USB ports, and with pre-installed Linux Xandros it’s plug-and-play ready. Just flip it open, hit the on switch and about 10 seconds later (it loads fast!) the laptop is ready for use.

Viyya is one company that we mentioned before because it has connections with Xandros [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] and this latest press release (also found here) sheds more light on their relationship.

Viyya Technologies, Inc. (PINKSHEETS: VYON),the developer and marketer of the world’s most advanced, web-based information management application, announced an update from John Bay onprogress relating to activities from 2008 and plans for the Internet Search and Discovery marketplace in 2009:

[...]

First, we will continue to customize VIYYA(TM) and build the VIYYA Information Store with Xandros in the NetBook marketplace. This contrac twill provide a lucrative revenue stream especially with VIYYA’s new advertising based model coming in 2009.

That’s all about SUSE and Novell from the past week. Next week will be busier for sure.

1. Lyle Howard Seave said,

January 3, 2009 at 4:30 pm

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2008/12/16/the-opensuse-faq-touched-me-in-a-bad-place/ does an excellent job of giving you a play by play of the OpenSUSE FAQ.

Im sure you had in in the links 2 weeks ago but I actually thought you were writing this under a pseudo.

2. The Mad Hatter said,

January 3, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I don’t like SUSE or OpenSUSE. Fedora is OK. I’ve just finished a test of Mandriva 2009, and in my opinion it’s a failure. So I’m going to install Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 2 on my Acer laptop in a few minutes. It may be just familiarity, but I keep going back to Ubuntu. With some modifications (installation of VLC is a must, and removal of Mono) it’s my personal favourite.

January 3, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Mandriva 2008.1 is very good (I’m using it right now) and it’s supported for some time to come.

4. The Mad Hatter said,

January 3, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Roy,

I should have worded my post better. Mandriva works well, far better than Windows XP (don’t know about Vista, never tried it). Of course any modern Linux/BSD/Solaris Distro is better than XP, hell XP is seven years old. And based on Microsoft’s lack of ability, they are all probably better than Vista.

That said, Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Sabayon, Knoppix, Yellow Dog (yes, I have a G3 Mac), KUbuntu, XUbuntu, LinuxMint, and PCLinuxOS all failed my personal use test. Quite frankly if I hate to use an OS, it’s a failure for me.

OSX, Fedora and Ubuntu all passed. It’s a matter of taste.

January 3, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I don’t think that any distribution has ever not worked for me. And I’ve tried plenty. Maybe my hardware was a good fit and maybe my standards are low.

6. The Mad Hatter said,

January 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Hum. Depends on your definition of “worked.” All of them functioned. Some of them were not enjoyable to use. There is a difference, and since I have the choice, I won’t use something that I don’t enjoy. After all, that’s what freedom is about.

Hell. By your definition Windows works. And I swore two years ago that I’d NEVER have that piece of shit on any computer that I own, ever again.

January 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Windows is very unreliable. The last version of Windows that I had was Windows 98 Second Edition and I was glad to get rid of it.

8. G. Michaels said,

January 3, 2009 at 11:07 pm

How can you say it’s “unreliable” if you don’t even use it, or the last version you used was Windows 98?

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

9. The Mad Hatter said,

January 4, 2009 at 1:49 am

Because we know a lot of people who use it, have problems, and are not happy, but are either too chicken, or not knowledgeable enough to switch.

Quite frankly I was trying to escape from Windows for years. The first Linux distro I tried was Caldera Open Linux 2.4. The problem was that it wasn’t capable of doing what I needed. Over the years I’ve tried most of the major distros, and many of the minor ones, and watched Free Software improve dramatically. Oh, it always worked well, but the user interface was usually an after thought in early distros, whether BSD or Linux kernel based.

About 4 years ago a friend converted one of his computers to Mandrake 9. While it wasn’t what I needed, it was far more usable. Over the next two years, I tried a series of distros. I even installed Scientific Linux in a separate partition on an old desktop for use as a network access point in the hospitality suite of a convention that I helped run. By doing this, and forcing everyone to use a guest account, I was able to lock out my work partition, keep the machine virus free, and assure that the thing would run 24/7 with no problems for the length of the convention.

In early 2007 I bought a new notebook. Vista was due out any day, and I wanted to avoid it. I’d been through Microsloth upgrades before, and knew that Vista was likely to f*** up a lot of my current software, so to avoid it I bought a machine with XP installed (and a Vista certificate that I promptly binned). So I got XP, and was happy for about two months. You got it – XP blew up. Backup was a bitch, the “Restore” CD wouldn’t, the restore partition wouldn’t, the system was totally useless. So I decided to try Ubuntu 7.04.

Install was a breeze. The only problem I had was getting wireless working, some time spent in the Ubuntu forums solved that problem. Now the problem could have been hardware, instead of XP, but since the computer has run flawlessly for nearly two years with Ubuntu installed, and only managed 2 months with XP installed, my conclusion is that the hardware is fine.

This is not the first time I’ve had stability problems with Windows. In my NOT SO HUMBLE OPINION the last stable version of Windows was 3.10, and that it’s been in a nose dive like a paralyzed falcon ever since.

And that’s what will kill Microsoft. You can’t produce shit, and expect your customers to stick around. Apple knows this. Apple is out for the money, and they know the easiest way to make lots of cash, is to make the customer so damned happy that he wouldn’t even consider another option. People pay more for Macs, because Macs are worth more. They last longer (very well built hardware), and they don’t need expensive anti-virus subscriptions.

Meanwhile Microsoft looks at the customer’s back as they leave, and wonders what they did wrong. But they are looking at the wrong customer. Microsoft thinks that Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc. are their customer. They are wrong. Their customer is John Q. Public, and they don’t give a shit about John Q. Public, and John Q. Public knows this, and is voting by moving to Apple for the top end, and Linux at the bottom end, while Microsoft gets squeezed in the middle.

You can sign me off at this point as:

ONE PISSED OFF EX-MICROSOFT CUSTOMER

January 4, 2009 at 4:39 am

Apple makes a lot of money from selling hardware. Microsoft loses money in businesses where it sells hardware, probably with the exception of peripherals.

11. Bob said,

January 4, 2009 at 9:44 am

@G. Michaels
    Thanks for talking about Win98. I am forever grateful to MS for making it because it persuaded me to move to Linux, Mandrake 8.3 as it happened.
    I have not had any MS crapware on any hardware of mine for 5 years now but I have used Windows 3.1 – it was shit. Then I used Windows 95 B – it was shit. Then I moved to Win 98 SE, that too was shit.
    I have installed Win XP for others many times and am stuck with using it from time to time in internet cafes. It is shit.
    I attend a computer club weekly which meets for an hour. Usually 50 of the 60 minutes is spent discussing protection from or removal of malware that effects Windows. Occasionally we get caught up with some unfortunate who has bought a legal version of Vista on a brand name laptop HP for example, who is unable to get Microsoft to accept that he has paid for his software. So I conclude that Vista is shit.

Like it or not we can listen to the unfortunates who run Microsoft garbage software and can fairly conclude that it is shit. Because the software I run does not give me the grief that affects Windows users. So if you really think that anyone needs to pay $$$ to Microsoft to install and run their garbage to form a valid opinion about it you are just a moron.

1. 'Reform' at the EPO Means Destroying the Staff Union, Crushing Patent Examiners, and Imposing on Europe a System It Does Not Want (UPC)

The chaotic transition at the EPO -- a transition from something which has been workable to something intolerable -- and the role of the Unitary Patent (UPC), which lurks in the shadows and threatens to harm the whole of Europe

2. Shakeup Against Patent Parasites in the US and More Rumours/Speculations About USPTO Director Michelle Lee After Trump's Inauguration

The US patent system is becoming ever more hostile towards patent trolls, owing in part to reforms introduced under Michelle Lee's tenure, but people are still not certain that she will maintain her job and continue to fix the system

3. EPO Abuses Now Make the Netherlands Look Like a Facilitator of Human/Labour Rights Abuses

Rather than crack down on human rights abuses, the Dutch government now sends out the signal that it's an island for those wish to violate human rights whilst enjoying immunity (EPO)

4. Links 20/1/2017: Docker 1.13, Linux 4.4.44 LTS

5. “Federal Circuit Had Affirmed on Every Issue in 77.4% of the Patent Trial and Appeal Board Appeals it Had Seen” in 2016

The Federal Circuit (CAFC) and Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) continue to squash a lot of patents on software, in contrast to that fake news from patent maximalists

6. Kudelski Group Not Only Acts Like a Patent Troll But Also Run by Intellectual Ventures Person; Mobile Market in Dire State of Patent Armageddon

The patent thicket which pervades everything that is used by billions of people, mobile technology in particular, can be traced back to a lot of non-practicing parasites (or patent trolls)

7. Watchtroll and His Swamp Still Blame Google (Where Michelle Lee Came From) for Improving and Gradually Fixing Aspects of the US Patent System

Shooting the messengers (even wrongly associating yours truly with Google) in an effort to undermine patent reform when it is so desperately needed due to serious injustices

8. In an Age of Necessary Patent Reform and Permanent Uncertainty for Software Patents the Patent Microcosm Looks for Workarounds and Spin

Commentary on the status quo in the Michelle Lee era and some examples of bias from the patent microcosm, as well as news regarding the NFL getting sued by the Kudelski Group

9. Michelle Lee, USPTO Director, Should Recognise That the Patent Microcosm is Her Enemy Which Hates Her

The latest outburst from the patent microcosm, which has a temper issue and notorious disdain for judges it does not agree with, is more of what we have come to expect

10. Battistelli is an Autocrat Above the Law and It's OK, Holland's High Council Says

Battistelli's autocratic tendencies will not be challenged by Dutch authorities, in spite of sheer condemnation from many groups all across Europe and the entire world

11. Beware Fake News About the Unitary Patent (UPC)

The UPC is dead, deadlocked, stuck, in a limbo and so on; those who claim otherwise are merely lobbying (in disguise of "analysis" or "news")

12. Shame on MapR for Pursuing Software Patents While Pretending to Stand for Free/Open Source Software

The patents gold rush sees another company joining the 'fun', albeit this company should campaign hard against software patents rather than pursue any

13. Doomsday Scenario in the Back Mirror as Michelle Lee Keeps Her Job (and Much-Needed Patent Reform) at the USPTO

The future of patent reform, i.e. tackling overpatenting and patent trolls, looks somewhat more promising with today's confirmation of Lee's 'extended tenure' at the Office

14. Links 19/1/2017: PulseAudio 10.0, Linux 4.9 Longterm Kernel

15. Corporate (Wall Street) Media Agrees That Brexit Dooms the Unitary Patent (UPC)

The nonstop lies or the fake news about the UPC starting "real soon now" don't quite pass a reality check or a basic assessment based on fundamental concepts, such as the UPC's facilitation of subordination (to Europe) in the United Kingdom

16. Farce of an 'Independence' for the Boards of Appeal as Another Ally of Benoît Battistelli Enters as Parasite Inside the 'Overseer'/Host

The latest cluster of lies from the President of the European Patent Office (EPO) and direct refutation of false claims of independence for the Boards of Appeal, where the former Vice-Presidents can flock, just like the Mini Minion (Minnoye) of Battistelli

17. Links 18/1/2017: Red Hat's OpenShift 3.4, Mozilla's New Logo/Branding

18. Union-Busting Action by Team Battistelli Takes Heavy Toll, Techrights Will Continue to Expose EPO Injustices to the World

The Staff Union of the European Patent Office, SUEPO, which faced unprecedented and probably illegal (based on local laws) attacks, is being weakened by the worst President ever, whose own management team seems to be collapsing along with the institution he is destroying in just a few years

19. A Lot More Fake News About the UPC, Trying to Convince People That the UK is Ratifying (It's Not, It Cannot)

Response to some of the latest misleading (self-serving) whispers about the fate of the Unified Patent Court (UPC), which is in a deadlock due to Brexit

20. Rumours Suggest That EPO Management is Aware of Decline in Patent Quality and is Thus Actively Lying About it to the Media/Public

Whenever Battistelli brags about patent quality he may be consciously and deliberately lying through his teeth if the latest rumours are correct

21. Links 17/1/2017: GIMP Plans, New Raspberry Pi Product

22. Resumption of EPO Propaganda ('Meet the President') Officially Starts Tomorrow

Yet another one of these foolish 'Meet the President' stunts, scheduled to take place tomorrow morning

23. Caricature: Battistelli's New Year's Resolution (More EPO Lies)

The latest cartoon being circulated within the European Patent Office (EPO)

24. Donald Trump Gives New Hope to Patent Aggressors and Patent Trolls

Pessimism about the prospects of patent progress or patent reform in an age of staunchly pro-business Conservatives and glorification of protectionism

25. More Fake News About the Unified Patent Court (UPC) Based on Lobbying Tactics From Bristows UPC and the Preparatory Committee

Unified Patent Court (UPC) lobbying has gotten so bad that it now infiltrates general media outlets, where people are asked to just blindly assume that the UPC is coming and is inevitable, even though it's clearly in a limbo and is unlikely to see the light of day

26. EPO Totally Silent for a Month, But Deep Inside There Are Serious Cracks

The situation at the EPO seems to be pretty grim, even at the top-level management, and the EPO has gone into permanent silence mode

27. Links 16/1/2017: Linux 4.10 RC4, Linux Mint 18.1 'Serena' KDE Edition Beta

28. 'Financial Director' Publishes Fake News About the Unitary Patent (UPC)

Response to some of the latest UPC propaganda, which strives to misinform Financial Directors so as to enrich the author and his firm

29. Independent and Untainted Web Sites About Patents Are Still Few and Rare

Commentary about news sources that we rely on, as well as the known pitfalls or the vested interests deeply ingrained in them

30. The 20% Rule: Patent Trolling Suffers Double-Digit Declines and Patent Troll Technicolor is Collapsing

Significant demise or total catastrophe for the modus operandi (method) of going after companies with a pile of patents and threats of litigation

CoPilotCo