04.09.09

Project of the Day: GNote

Posted in Fork, GNOME, GNU/Linux, GPL, Microsoft, Mono, Novell, Patents at 1:26 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

The best

Summary: The trailblazing route away from Mono seems clearer thanks to GNote

A NEW Free software project called GNote has received a lot of deserved attention recently [1, 2]. It rescues GNOME from some of the unhealthy Mono dependency it has developed (Tomboy) and it comes at a good time because Señor de Icaza is running a series of posts that he calls “Embrace and Extend.NET” (his friends and colleagues at Microsoft sure would be proud). In the German press by the way, an article titled “Novell in coopetition with Microsoft” presents the words of Philippe Desmaison from Novell. It was published a few days ago and it confirms what a reader of ours has just called “the Novell-Microsoft vision.”

“GNote is GPLv3-licensed and nothing in its development involves Microsoft or Novell.”In order to prevent Novell from hijacking (‘embracing’) GNU/Linux using its own software which is ‘licensed’ by Microsoft, namely Mono, more projects like GNote are needed and apparently they are coming. The Mono proponents are unhappy to see their projects ported out of Mono and they miserably cling onto misunderstandings about copyright assignment.

GNote is GPLv3-licensed and nothing in its development involves Microsoft or Novell. Tomboy might not like this competition (or co-opetition, as Ray Noorda would have called it), but if Tomboy is Mono dependent and the licence is unattractive, then the project is bound to be forked. That’s just what Free software is about; it enables the community to take over in case it feels dissatisfied with the direction a project is taking.

If anyone is looking for a fast-growing project to contribute to, this may be it. GNOME is used by tens of millions of people and many are candidate users of GNote. The project just needs more contributors (in case Johan Sørensen welcomes them), promotion and support in order to gain momentum and leapfrog its Mono-based counterpart, Tomboy. It could, as a matter of fact, even replace Tomboy in default GNOME desktops and thus eliminate the heavy and controversial Mono stack.

The initiator of GNote is already working on an f-spot replacement too, so there may be a pattern here — a pattern of rewriting Mono applications in languages that are more appropriate and make use — as well as distribution — considerably safer (especially after the TomTom case). GPLv3 is the icing on the cake because it defangs patent aggressors.

1. David Gerard said,

April 9, 2009 at 4:43 am

How hard is it to convert c# to Java? I know when Lucene was ported from Java to Mono (Wikimedia used a Mono-based Lucene for a while, until Java was sufficiently free) it was relatively easy.

April 9, 2009 at 4:50 am

There are projects that achieve this, but they were not very active the last time we checked.

3. dd said,

April 9, 2009 at 9:32 am

you should check out the gnote page

miguel tries to talk down the project that had absolutely nothing to do with him, and he pretty much gets flamed like a bitch.

4. aeshna23 said,

April 9, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Between GNote and Tomboy could have reached the tipping point for our victory? I think I’m feeling optimistic, but I’m not the kind of person to be optimistic, so I’m only guessing this is what optimism feels like.

5. seller_liar said,

April 9, 2009 at 1:17 pm

The next step is to do a proposol to ubuntu devs and other distro devs.

Remove all mono thing and put libboost + pygtk for deluge (deluge uses libboost) , remove f-spot to put gthumb and put gtkmm+ libboost for gnote.

6. Apogee said,

April 9, 2009 at 2:46 pm

There is any list with all projects based on Mono? then users can check where they can contribute to remove mono from gnome… I think Vala is a good choice..

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Here is a very partial list.

7. NotZed said,

April 9, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I never understood the point of ‘note’ apps. Sure sticky notes are great when all you’ve got is a pen, but when you’ve got a filesystem and a text editor and a shell and grep, why not just write your own little file in a decent editor?

Back on topic … Oh the irony …

Considering the entire reason GNOME started in the first place was because KDE was using a toolkit that wasn’t `free’ enough. Whether these little trivial projects get any traction or not like GNOME did is another matter. For example GNOME benefited greatly in the early days from being written in C rather than C++ as KDE was.

8. Charles Oliver said,

April 9, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Trying to find the source for the claim that the same guy is working on an f-spot replacement, I failed entirely.

I really hope this is true. It seems like a lot of work to rewrite f-spot in c++ but I know a lot of people would be thankful if it happened. Then there’s only Banshee to go …

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Someone told this to me privately.

Charles Oliver Reply:

So I guess the question is were they speaking out of their ass.

Gnote is nice. I hope it makes it as a default app (replacing tomboy) in karmic.

9. Ed Landaveri said,

April 9, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Though I’m a Fedora guy. I install Ubuntu for whoever asks me for free. Relatives, friends and they’re completely happy. I haven’t used Tomboy for years more after learning that was written using mono eventhought Fedora/Centos have it (I think the older versions without mono) I do not install them. I used gthumb or gwenview to manage my pictures instead. The first thing I do when installing Ubuntu for someone is apt-get remove –purge lib-mono mono and installing alternatives for Tomboy or F-spot. Thanks OpenSourcer. Miguel && Ron may claim that mono is a “community” project yes it’s true: the Microsoft community” Miguel its shameful to hear you claiming “mono is safe to use” continually. You lost whatever shame you got left! Well the nice salary and the seven million dollars Ron got for selling out explains it. To promote and use mono expands the Microsoft agenda whether Miguel likes it or not!

Linux grows by committed people. More of my relatives and friends are using it. They’re surprised to see how fast && reliable they’re systems are. This work is growing strongly in spite of all the FUD and lies that MS try to convey. You can’t get this commitmment unless millions are given like the ones that Ron, Miguel, analysts && every MS bloggers.

Thanks for the list of mono apps its nice to have a list of what to avoid:
    Projects done using Mono
    by mono — last modified 2005-09-23 08:33 PM

The following are programs that use the Mono API and C#.

Beagle,
    Bless (Curse I would say),
    CDCollect,
    F-Spot,
    Galaxium,
    GLyrics,
    iFolder 3,
    Imendio Blam,
    Monodevelop,
    Second Life,
    SkyNET,
    smuxi,
    Tomboy,
    Virtuoso Universal Server

Roy It would be nice to have a permanent link with these and any others that use this MS crap listed. Peple need to be informed. Thanks

Charles Oliver Reply:

It’s such a pity about Miguel, really. If you think about Gnome and Gnumeric, it shows the guy has a good brain. I wonder when it turned to mush. Maybe if you spend many hours reverse engineering MS file formats it addles your brain.

10. Bobby Hunter said,

April 12, 2009 at 12:16 am

I’m pretty sure Gnome Subtitles is also a mono based app. Whenever I install Linux for friends, I usually go with Debris Linux (which is Ubuntu Hardy stripped down to less than 200 MB. To acheive this they left out mono and compiz and a few other things.) and then I add GPicView and other non-mono apps as needed.

11. Johan Sørensen said,

April 24, 2009 at 8:24 am

more contributors? sure, that’s part of the point of Gitorious. it’s entirely up to you whether to accept those contributions or not for your project, we just provide the service to enable you to do so :)

1. Alexandre Oliva on Diversity Hypocrites

"Some of them purport to be for inclusion and diversity, but won't hesitate to make fun of someone's poorly-disguised handicap."

2. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, February 26, 2020

IRC logs for Wednesday, February 26, 2020

3. Alexandre Oliva: Courage is Contagious

Having a proposal rejected at a conference is nothing unusual, but the surrounding circumstances and the conflicting versions are.

4. Links 26/2/2020: Cosmo Communicator 2-in-1, FSF Outlines Plans for Code Hosting

5. Reminder: At Linux Foundation in 2020 Three Board Members, Including the Vice Chair and Director at Large, Are Current or Past Microsoft Employees

Sometimes the facts speak for themselves (or pictures speak louder than words)

6. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, February 25, 2020

IRC logs for Tuesday, February 25, 2020

7. Links 25/2/2020: MakuluLinux LinDoz and Manjaro 19.0 Released

8. FSF's Interim Co-President Alexandre Oliva on FSF Communication Policies

Surely I, being acting president and then half-acting president, must suck as a manager. I probably do indeed, but it's not so simple.

9. The EU's EUIPO Will Later Today Help the EPO (Run by EUIPO's Former Chief) Promote Illegal Software Patents

Propaganda terms such as "intellectual property rights" and meaningless concepts like "technical effect" are being used to promote so-called 'computer-implemented inventions' (software patents by another name)

10. Growing Acceptance That There's No Future to the UPC System and the Unitary Patent

There are growing pains and more signs that even key elements of Team UPC move on, accepting the demise of the UPC

11. Emulating the Linux Foundation's Business Model (Selling Influence)

LibrePlanet sponsors are presented with benefits of offering money to the event (or to the FSF)

12. Guest Article: LibrePlanet Attendees Should Demand a Partial Refund

What we do know is — that the FSF is no longer “Free as in Speech!”

13. IRC Proceedings: Monday, February 24, 2020

IRC logs for Monday, February 24, 2020

14. An FSF That Rejects Its Founder Would Not Remain FSF As We Once Knew It

It's important to keep the FSF focused on its goals; that won't be achieved by expelling those who insist on these goals

15. Links 24/2/2020: Linux 5.6 RC3, Netrunner 20.01, Google Summer of Code 2020 Mentoring Organisations Announced

16. Alexandre Oliva's New Article About a Coup

Some people try to tell me that the criticism I've got, inside the FSF and outside, since the Free Software Sept 11, are not about my being supportive of RMS, but about my making public statements referencing him at all.

17. Debian Leadership Should Not be 'Shy' of Politics (and It's OK to Admit Palestinians Are Human Beings Too)

The contemporary tendency to limit people's freedom of speech (e.g. permission to express political views) means that while people may find software freedom they will lose other essential freedoms

18. New Series: Inside the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

In the interest and motivation of exposing the true nature of things, Techrights will turn its attention to internal affairs at the higher echelons of the FSF, founded more than three and a half decades ago in MIT (where Stallman launched the GNU Project, developed the GNU Compiler Collection and a lot more foundational Free software)

19. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, February 23, 2020

IRC logs for Sunday, February 23, 2020

20. Links 23/2/2020: PipeWire 0.3 and Osu!

21. FSF's Interim Co-President Alexandre Oliva on Being Cancelled

It was reading this that I realized I’d been cancelled myself. In my case, I was painted misogynist and transphobic, and for a post in which I supported women but denounced a crowd of men twisting the feminist cause, that I share, to attack rms, as if he wasn’t a feminist himself; and in which I express curiosity as to what pronoun to use to refer to zero women to paint me as someone who disregards gender identities and their pronouns.

22. Good People Need to Run for Free Software Foundation (FSF) Board Positions After an FSF Coup Threw in the Towel, Pushing Out the Founder

"I have been hit, but not knocked out, and my campaign for free software is not over." --Richard Stallman, October 2019

23. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, February 22, 2020

IRC logs for Saturday, February 22, 2020

24. Alexandre Oliva's Message About Cancel Culture at the FSF

Being cancelled is no fun. In my case, it was for standing for a friend who got canceled for defending someone else from an accusation that was later proven false.

25. Links 22/2/2020: Polish Government Increases GNU/Linux Use, Samza 1.3.1

26. Being Rich Does Not Imply Being Smart (Especially When One is Born Into Wealth)

Presenting the 'genius' (college dropout, but that does not matter when the yardstick of wisdom is wealth alone), with his own predictions overlaid on top of his photo from the show of Bloomberg (another 'genius' whose supposed brilliance is measured using money alone)

27. The Rise and Fall of Free Software

"We simply need to make the movement less corporate, and more grassroots."

28. Why You Should Adopt Debian 10, Not Vista 10 (Windows Vista With Microsoft's Latest Surveillance Add-ons)

A little personal story and recommendation of Debian "Buster" (10) or Devuan (whose developers persist)

29. Ethics by Exclusion

It's the same old philosophical question; can excluding those who are perceived to be intolerant be seen as an act of tolerance?

30. Even Worse Than Microsoft Inside the Board of the OSI

The OSI has accepted people from companies that actively attack Software Freedom and there may be more on their way