Re: giving money to gnome

On Wed, Nov 19, 1997 at 05:59:54PM +0100, Christian Leutloff wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > their decision to use Debian as the underlying OS in a non-free
> > project,
>
> That's wrong! Debian is an *add on* to the KDE CD. KDE is not based
> on Debian in any way.

Well, if you want a whole operating environment, you need a desktop
and an OS. Debian is the OS, KDE the desktop. You can run Debian
without KDE, but you need an OS to run KDE. So Debian is, as I said,
the underlying OS in the KDE-CD.

> Emilio Lopes <Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE> writes:
> > AJ> as the gnome project is the direct opponent of kde, this is an
> >                                 ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
> > Uh?? Is that your view or the KDE people's view? Sure this is not the
> > way the GNOME people see KDE.
>
> Please read the announcement for GNOME. It *is* a new desktop
> environment. And therefor the result will be able to replace KDE ...

It's a said day when you consider one free software project
to be in COMPETITION with another.

> Sure, but we *say* we will use the money we get from one project to
> support a replacement project. That's not nice at all. Instead we

It's not nice that the KDE people would even make this their business.

> should say that we'll remove the non-free character from KDE by
> removing the need for Qt. Therefor we should say, that we support the
> development of a free Qt. The focus should be on the lib and not on
> the desctop environment.

Why don't the KDE people make an effort to change the library,
if they recognise the problem? It shouldn't be too hard to write
a wrapper to emulate Qt anyway.

Hamish

--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.