Re: giving money to gnome

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> their decision to use Debian as the underlying OS in a non-free
> project,

That's wrong! Debian is an *add on* to the KDE CD. KDE is not based
on Debian in any way.

Emilio Lopes <Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE> writes:

> AJ> as the gnome project is the direct opponent of kde, this is an
>                                 ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
> Uh?? Is that your view or the KDE people's view? Sure this is not the
> way the GNOME people see KDE.

Please read the announcement for GNOME. It *is* a new desktop
environment. And therefor the result will be able to replace KDE ...

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es> writes:

> We use the donated money to support GNOME? The KDE people feel insulted.
> Some Debian developers feel ashamed. What's wrong here? Can't we use
> _our_ money to support the project _we_ prefer?

Sure, but we *say* we will use the money we get from one project to
support a replacement project. That's not nice at all. Instead we
should say that we'll remove the non-free character from KDE by
removing the need for Qt. Therefor we should say, that we support the
development of a free Qt. The focus should be on the lib and not on
the desctop environment.

I hope that we're able to express ourselves in a way, where nobody in
the more or less free software world is feeling insulted.

Bye
  Christian

--
Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany