07.11.07

No, Miguel, I Will Neither Shut Up Nor Will I Retract (Unless You Are Being Specific)

Posted in Novell, Security, Site News at 11:53 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

I’ll make a confession. I’m a little worried about criticising Novell. But why should I? If Novell does something wrong, this needs to be pointed out, doesn’t it?

As our reader gpl1 said the other day, making subtle statements which accuse me of defamation makes it seem like muting attempts. Shades of SCO?

I noticed the same type of thing in Rob Weir’s blog. Even ideas such as “lawsuits” are now being raised in that comments section. He received a lot of press exposure after he had criticised Microsoft’s OpenXML (rightly so!) .

I refuse to let companies like Novell win by changing the tone of this blog, which relies on decent sources that are being cited. Mistakes are being corrected as well.

So, here is short little outburst to show that Novell has some problems, which I am no longer going to ignore. Holding back evidence of weaknesses is akin to censorship.

When Novell announced it would no longer support NPS, “we decided it was time to move to something we would have more control of,” Cash says. “It was time to look for an open source solution.”

To Novell’s staff that has criticisms, please propose a correction and please be specific. Calling something “defamatory” without an argument to back this is akin to Microsoft’s IP accusations against Linux.

1. Anonymous said,

July 12, 2007 at 3:26 am

Just nit picking but in the last paragraph “criticals flaws” and “without and arguments ” should be fixed.

July 12, 2007 at 4:25 am

Thanks. Corrected.

I always have some typos that need ironing out. My writing pace is to blame. I need to proofread.

3. Ian said,

July 12, 2007 at 11:01 am

Not to put words into anyone else’s mouth, but I think the point he was making was that you claimed he was in the know before Jeremy Allison was which Miguel claimed is untrue. Plus, I wouldn’t exactly put a comment on a blog on equal footing with a multi billion dollar company making IP claims against an entitity, regardless of how weak those claims are.

Your implied link to “SCO-like” activities is a stretch at best. Anyone in Miguel’s postition(you and me included) would probably not back down when you disagree with a comment made about you that you don’t agree with or think not to be true. You can call something defamation and it not have legal implications.

To be honest though, I’m just rendering an opinion based on what I read. Only Miguel can clear up what he really meant.

4. Ian said,

July 12, 2007 at 11:07 am

One more thing, I would hope that Novell would never do anything to try and shut this site down in its current form. While I personally disagree with many parts of your message, you should have every right to state your opinion. It would be a mistake for Novell to ever try to muzzle public opinion on this site or any other site.

July 12, 2007 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Ian. To clarify, this was not the first time that I confronted Miguel (here and elsewhere). My opinions are not welcomed by everyone and everywhere, but in places where I post I tend to be surrounded by a crowd that thinks alike.

You are right about parts of this message being a stretch. This was an impulsive post and my pace sometimes hinders careful selection of words and leads to ambiguities. For example, earlier today I realised that I had written “de Icaza supports OOXML”. While I meant to say that he supports its approval by the ISO or accepts its existence, some might misinterpret this and insinuate that he chooses OOXML over ODF.

Here and elsewhere I tend to choose speed, sometimes at the expense of quality and accuracy. The openness of the discussion leaves room for correction.

6. Sebastiaan Veld said,

July 12, 2007 at 2:20 pm

‘You may wish to know that Novell, just like its ‘partner’ Microsoft, suffers from some critical flaws on this ‘patch Tuesday’. According to a recent article, Novell continues losing customers as well.’

I should start to worry when there was no fix for a flaw. Then, give me one company or (open source) project that does not ever have flaws in their code that need to be, or have been fixed. Even on a Tuesday:)

The article does not say Novell loses a customer, just one piece of software (IMO crappy, but a good solution at the time is was lauched) NPS is changed for an open solution LifeRay. Realise that for most Novell customers NPS is already part of NetWare, known as Virtual Office.
    My opinion is that for portal solutions an open ground in general is best. So, also Novell saw that after experimenting with different portal solutions (like NPS, VO and eXtend) and that’s the reason Novell also works also on LiveRay: LiveRay is the portal used for Novell’s upcoming ‘Novell Teaming and Conferencing’ product and will also be part of the Worgroup Suite Solution… One could image that this customer has chosen this portal since there might be a nice upgrade path for the services that they use, (may be) GroupWise, NetWare, OES Linux, and looking at T&C that they then can integrate in their open-portal solution AND still having support from Novell.

Think this gives a slightly different turn to the story.

7. Miguel de Icaza said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:05 pm

The issue that I have with Roy statement is this paragraph, which is a complete fabrication:

“To repeat old facts, the developers were not part of the this decision, with the exception of a few prominent ones such as Miguel de Icaza, who is a VP. It was all done secretly. Jeremy Allison knew about it and he protested against the sneaky, 90th-minute inclusion of patent elements. These elements were not part of the original deal, which had been negotiated for months.”

From:

As I said on those comments, I learned on the same day that Jeremy Allison learned about it (or perhaps the night before when I was told to go to Waltham).

Roy could make his points based on actual evidence, he does not need to manufacture them. I guess its just a cultural issue, Roy living in the UK, the land of the tabloid, he does not know better.

Miguel.

8. Miguel de Icaza said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I expect Roy to correct his statements (as he says on this very blog entry) as he has no evidence to prove that I was involved in the deal before other Open Source people in the company found out about it.

So Roy, when is the apology and the correction coming out?

Miguel.

July 12, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Miguel, you misread what I wrote, but I’ll cross it out to remove what might be perceived as an ambiguous statement.

When I wrote:

I meant to say that you knew about it before the large majority of the developers were informed (possibly just after the announcement). I was not referring to Jeremy Allison there. Either way, thanks for the correction and I hope any room for misinterpretation is no longer there.

By the way, I don’t read tabloids. Can’t stand them.

10. John Drinkwater said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Calling the UK the land of the tabloid does a great disservice to our many broadsheets.
    Can I start calling your country of birth (unfairly) the land of the servants?

11. Slated said,

July 15, 2007 at 11:08 am

Re: de Icaza’s comment about the U.K.

For a country that supposedly prides itself on the protection of the “inalienable rights” of it’s countrymen, the U.S. certainly seems to expend an awful lot of effort suppressing and violating those rights.

As to the subject at hand, I neither know nor care who knew what or when. What I do know is that the Novell pact with Microsoft is a violation of everything Free Software stands for, and anyone involved in that pact, or in support of it, has lost the trust and faith of the Free Software community.

At best, Novell has allowed itself to be extorted in a fashion similar to a protection racket, and at worst (given Novell’s rather patchy history) I’d say it’s not unlikely that Novell wilfully betrayed the Free Software community for a handful of silver.

As a Fedora user and maintainer, I am fortunate in that I am not (currently) subject to Microsoft’s protection racket; but thanks to sell-outs like Novell, Xandros and Linspire; we all now have that threat hanging over us like a guillotine. As such, I vow to dedicate my time to purging Microsoft tainted components from every aspect of the Free Software community, as much as is possible, starting with the new Gobuntu project, and further extending that to Fedora and others. My first task will be to advocate for the depreciation and elimination of Mono and all it’s equally tainted dependants.

Here’s what Bruce Perens has to say about Mono:

AFAIAC Novell is now as serious a threat to the Free Software community as Microsoft, possibly more (like a Wolf in Sheep’s clothing). If Novell truly is the “next SCO”, then may it quickly perish.

July 15, 2007 at 11:49 am

Good bit of audio you got there. I recommend everyone who reads this to have a quick listen.

It is as eye-opening as it needs to be.

13. Slated said,

June 13, 2008 at 2:57 am

Note: the URL for this clip has changed:

14. Root said,

June 13, 2008 at 4:54 am

This website is one big hate and smear campaign. And it is laughable when its maintainer acts all “innocent damsell in distress”.

1. Guest Post: Free Software Freedom is Not a Freedom of Choice

The concept of "Freedom of Choice" and how the ruling class uses it to give a false impression of "Freedom"

2. Guest Post: Free Software Developers and Pursuing 'Market Share'

"The only people interested in software freedom are (almost always) free software developers. And users are interested in freedom to a very limited extent: the "free beer" side. Even many free software developers are only interested in the "free beer" part of free software."

3. The Assertion That Microsoft Uses Communist Tactics Against GNU/Linux and Free/Libre Software

A study of Taistoism might help understand how Free/libre software is being undermined

4. European Patent Office and US Patent and Trademark Office Cranks Discovered Buzzwords, Stopped Worrying, Started Granting Patents They Know to be Fake

The world's patent repositories are being saturated with loads of junk patents or patents that have no legal bearing but can still be leveraged for extortion purposes; the EPO is resorting to lies and artificially-elevated buzzwords to justify granting such fake (yet ruinous) patents

5. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, October 19, 2019

IRC logs for Saturday, October 19, 2019

6. “The True Hypocrite is the One Who Ceases to Perceive His Deception, the One Who Lies With Sincerity,” Said André Paul Guillaume Gide (Nobel Prize in Literature)

Lies flow like water in the realm of EPO and its publishers, whose sole role is dissemination of deliberate falsehoods, misnomers and misinformation

7. The EPO Cannot Guard Fake European Patents From Scrutiny (in the Long Run)

Legal certainty associated with newly-granted European Patents is already pretty low and as long as the EPO refuses to acknowledge that its courts (or boards) lack autonomy the EPO merely brushes a growing problem under the rug

8. Links 19/10/2019: DeX Discontinued, DXVK 1.4.3 and Wine 4.18 Released

9. 'Corporate Linux' Will Not Protect Software Freedom

The corporate model is inherently not compatible with software that users themselves fully control (or Software Freedom in general), so we must rely on another model of sovereignty over code and compiled code (binaries)

10. IRC Proceedings: Friday, October 18, 2019

IRC logs for Friday, October 18, 2019

11. 26,000 Posts

We want to thank those who help spread the word; it gives us moral support and morale.

12. The Myth of 'Analysts'

People with exaggerated roles (exaggerated by corporate media and corporations that control them) distort public perceptions about their clients; they're in effect just elevated marketing or Public Relations (PR) operatives

13. The FSF Has Two Acting Presidents Now

Alexandre Oliva, who acted as a sort of deputy of Richard Stallman in recent weeks, sheds some much-needed light on the current situation

14. Should Anybody Dictate the Free Software Movement?

"There's a great myth, as Jagadees reminds us, that advocacy doesn't produce software. That myth is corporate, and proper advocacy has at times produced the greatest software in the history of computing. If we want great Free software to continue, we need advocacy more than ever."

15. Links 18/10/2019: More KDE Events and OpenBSD 6.6

16. We Don't Know Who Will Run the Free Software Foundation, But We Know Who Will Run the GNU Project

Software Freedom is under a heavy and perhaps unprecedented attack; some people out there are paid by the attackers to celebrate this attack and defame people (cheering for corporate takeover under the blanket of “Open Source”), but the founder of the Free software movement remains alive, well, and very much active

17. New EPO Meme: Who Wants to Make Billions From a 'Public' Monopoly?

What was supposed to be a cash-balanced patent office became a money-making monster that fakes ‘crises’ to attack hard-working examiners

18. EmacsConf Without Richard Stallman

Now that emacs is being 'rebranded' this kind of meme seems apt

19. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, October 17, 2019

IRC logs for Thursday, October 17, 2019

20. Guest Article: In the Absence of Richard Stallman OEM Source Software ('Open Source') is Trying to Hijack Even Emacs

"Now they have to create some fictional history. No need to worry."

21. Guest Article: Techies Should Not Dictate the Free Software Movement

"We should start a second phase of the Free software movement that's making good software and putting users at the center."

22. Links 17/10/2019: Ubuntu Turns 15, New Codename Revealed, Ubuntu 19.10 is Out

23. Free as in Free Speech (Restrictions May Apply)

When limits of speech are not safety-related rules but political correctness or conformism

24. There Won't be Patent Justice Until Patent Trolling Becomes Completely and Totally Extinct

SLAPP-like behaviour and extortion/blackmail tactics using patent monopolies are a stain on the patent system; it's time to adopt measures to stop these things once and for all, bearing in mind they're inherently antithetical to the goal/s of the patent system and therefore discourage public support for this whole system

25. EPO Staff Union and Staff Representatives Ought to Demand EPO Stops Bullying Publishers and Censoring Their Sites

An often neglected if not forgotten aspect of EPO tyranny is the war on information itself; EPO management continues to show hostility towards journalism and disdain for true information

26. Bribes, Lies, Fundamental Violations of the Law and Cover-Up: This is Today's European Patent Office

It has gotten extremely difficult to hold the conspirators accountable for turning Europe’s patent office into a ‘printing machine’ of the litigation industry and amassing vast amounts of money (to be passed to private, for-profit companies)

27. The Free Software Foundation (FSF) Lost Almost Half (3 Out of 8) Board Members in Only One Month

As the old saying goes, a picture (or screenshot) is worth a thousand words

28. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, October 16, 2019

IRC logs for Wednesday, October 16, 2019

29. Startpage and System1 Abuse Your Privacy Under the Guise of 'Privacy One Group'

Startpage has sold out and may have also sold data it retained about its users to a privacy-hostile company whose entire business model is surveillance

30. Links 16/10/2019: Halo Privacy, Ubuntu Release Imminent