07.11.07

No, Miguel, I Will Neither Shut Up Nor Will I Retract (Unless You Are Being Specific)

Posted in Novell, Security, Site News at 11:53 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

I’ll make a confession. I’m a little worried about criticising Novell. But why should I? If Novell does something wrong, this needs to be pointed out, doesn’t it?

As our reader gpl1 said the other day, making subtle statements which accuse me of defamation makes it seem like muting attempts. Shades of SCO?

I noticed the same type of thing in Rob Weir’s blog. Even ideas such as “lawsuits” are now being raised in that comments section. He received a lot of press exposure after he had criticised Microsoft’s OpenXML (rightly so!) .

I refuse to let companies like Novell win by changing the tone of this blog, which relies on decent sources that are being cited. Mistakes are being corrected as well.

So, here is short little outburst to show that Novell has some problems, which I am no longer going to ignore. Holding back evidence of weaknesses is akin to censorship.

When Novell announced it would no longer support NPS, “we decided it was time to move to something we would have more control of,” Cash says. “It was time to look for an open source solution.”

To Novell’s staff that has criticisms, please propose a correction and please be specific. Calling something “defamatory” without an argument to back this is akin to Microsoft’s IP accusations against Linux.

1. Anonymous said,

July 12, 2007 at 3:26 am

Just nit picking but in the last paragraph “criticals flaws” and “without and arguments ” should be fixed.

July 12, 2007 at 4:25 am

Thanks. Corrected.

I always have some typos that need ironing out. My writing pace is to blame. I need to proofread.

3. Ian said,

July 12, 2007 at 11:01 am

Not to put words into anyone else’s mouth, but I think the point he was making was that you claimed he was in the know before Jeremy Allison was which Miguel claimed is untrue. Plus, I wouldn’t exactly put a comment on a blog on equal footing with a multi billion dollar company making IP claims against an entitity, regardless of how weak those claims are.

Your implied link to “SCO-like” activities is a stretch at best. Anyone in Miguel’s postition(you and me included) would probably not back down when you disagree with a comment made about you that you don’t agree with or think not to be true. You can call something defamation and it not have legal implications.

To be honest though, I’m just rendering an opinion based on what I read. Only Miguel can clear up what he really meant.

4. Ian said,

July 12, 2007 at 11:07 am

One more thing, I would hope that Novell would never do anything to try and shut this site down in its current form. While I personally disagree with many parts of your message, you should have every right to state your opinion. It would be a mistake for Novell to ever try to muzzle public opinion on this site or any other site.

July 12, 2007 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Ian. To clarify, this was not the first time that I confronted Miguel (here and elsewhere). My opinions are not welcomed by everyone and everywhere, but in places where I post I tend to be surrounded by a crowd that thinks alike.

You are right about parts of this message being a stretch. This was an impulsive post and my pace sometimes hinders careful selection of words and leads to ambiguities. For example, earlier today I realised that I had written “de Icaza supports OOXML”. While I meant to say that he supports its approval by the ISO or accepts its existence, some might misinterpret this and insinuate that he chooses OOXML over ODF.

Here and elsewhere I tend to choose speed, sometimes at the expense of quality and accuracy. The openness of the discussion leaves room for correction.

6. Sebastiaan Veld said,

July 12, 2007 at 2:20 pm

‘You may wish to know that Novell, just like its ‘partner’ Microsoft, suffers from some critical flaws on this ‘patch Tuesday’. According to a recent article, Novell continues losing customers as well.’

I should start to worry when there was no fix for a flaw. Then, give me one company or (open source) project that does not ever have flaws in their code that need to be, or have been fixed. Even on a Tuesday:)

The article does not say Novell loses a customer, just one piece of software (IMO crappy, but a good solution at the time is was lauched) NPS is changed for an open solution LifeRay. Realise that for most Novell customers NPS is already part of NetWare, known as Virtual Office.
    My opinion is that for portal solutions an open ground in general is best. So, also Novell saw that after experimenting with different portal solutions (like NPS, VO and eXtend) and that’s the reason Novell also works also on LiveRay: LiveRay is the portal used for Novell’s upcoming ‘Novell Teaming and Conferencing’ product and will also be part of the Worgroup Suite Solution… One could image that this customer has chosen this portal since there might be a nice upgrade path for the services that they use, (may be) GroupWise, NetWare, OES Linux, and looking at T&C that they then can integrate in their open-portal solution AND still having support from Novell.

Think this gives a slightly different turn to the story.

7. Miguel de Icaza said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:05 pm

The issue that I have with Roy statement is this paragraph, which is a complete fabrication:

“To repeat old facts, the developers were not part of the this decision, with the exception of a few prominent ones such as Miguel de Icaza, who is a VP. It was all done secretly. Jeremy Allison knew about it and he protested against the sneaky, 90th-minute inclusion of patent elements. These elements were not part of the original deal, which had been negotiated for months.”

From:

As I said on those comments, I learned on the same day that Jeremy Allison learned about it (or perhaps the night before when I was told to go to Waltham).

Roy could make his points based on actual evidence, he does not need to manufacture them. I guess its just a cultural issue, Roy living in the UK, the land of the tabloid, he does not know better.

Miguel.

8. Miguel de Icaza said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I expect Roy to correct his statements (as he says on this very blog entry) as he has no evidence to prove that I was involved in the deal before other Open Source people in the company found out about it.

So Roy, when is the apology and the correction coming out?

Miguel.

July 12, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Miguel, you misread what I wrote, but I’ll cross it out to remove what might be perceived as an ambiguous statement.

When I wrote:

I meant to say that you knew about it before the large majority of the developers were informed (possibly just after the announcement). I was not referring to Jeremy Allison there. Either way, thanks for the correction and I hope any room for misinterpretation is no longer there.

By the way, I don’t read tabloids. Can’t stand them.

10. John Drinkwater said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Calling the UK the land of the tabloid does a great disservice to our many broadsheets.
    Can I start calling your country of birth (unfairly) the land of the servants?

11. Slated said,

July 15, 2007 at 11:08 am

Re: de Icaza’s comment about the U.K.

For a country that supposedly prides itself on the protection of the “inalienable rights” of it’s countrymen, the U.S. certainly seems to expend an awful lot of effort suppressing and violating those rights.

As to the subject at hand, I neither know nor care who knew what or when. What I do know is that the Novell pact with Microsoft is a violation of everything Free Software stands for, and anyone involved in that pact, or in support of it, has lost the trust and faith of the Free Software community.

At best, Novell has allowed itself to be extorted in a fashion similar to a protection racket, and at worst (given Novell’s rather patchy history) I’d say it’s not unlikely that Novell wilfully betrayed the Free Software community for a handful of silver.

As a Fedora user and maintainer, I am fortunate in that I am not (currently) subject to Microsoft’s protection racket; but thanks to sell-outs like Novell, Xandros and Linspire; we all now have that threat hanging over us like a guillotine. As such, I vow to dedicate my time to purging Microsoft tainted components from every aspect of the Free Software community, as much as is possible, starting with the new Gobuntu project, and further extending that to Fedora and others. My first task will be to advocate for the depreciation and elimination of Mono and all it’s equally tainted dependants.

Here’s what Bruce Perens has to say about Mono:

AFAIAC Novell is now as serious a threat to the Free Software community as Microsoft, possibly more (like a Wolf in Sheep’s clothing). If Novell truly is the “next SCO”, then may it quickly perish.

July 15, 2007 at 11:49 am

Good bit of audio you got there. I recommend everyone who reads this to have a quick listen.

It is as eye-opening as it needs to be.

13. Slated said,

June 13, 2008 at 2:57 am

Note: the URL for this clip has changed:

14. Root said,

June 13, 2008 at 4:54 am

This website is one big hate and smear campaign. And it is laughable when its maintainer acts all “innocent damsell in distress”.

1. Links 16/10/2021: Xubuntu 21.10 and DearPyGui 1.0.0

2. DuckDuckGo’s HQ is Smaller Than My Apartment

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

3. Post About Whether Vivaldi is a GPL violation Was Quietly Knifed by the Mods of /r/uBlockOrigin in Reddit

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

4. The EPO’s Overseer/Overseen Collusion — Part XIII: Battistelli's Iberian Facilitators - Spain

The EPO‘s António Campinos is an ‘Academy’ of overt nepotism; what Benoît Battistelli did mostly in France Campinos does in Spain and Portugal, severely harming the international image of these countries

5. From Competitive (Top-Level, High-Calibre, Well-Paid) Jobs to 2,000 Euros a Month -- How the EPO is Becoming a Sweatshop by Patent Examiners' Standards

A longish video about the dreadful situation at the EPO, where staff is being ‘robbed’ and EPO funds get funnelled into some dodgy stock market investments (a clear violation of the institution’s charter)

6. [Meme] Protecting European Patent Courts From EPO 'Mafia'

With flagrant disregard for court rulings (or workarounds to dodge actual compliance) it seems clear that today's EPO management is allergic to justice and to judges; European Patents perish at unprecedented levels in national European courts and it should be kept that way

7. Links 15/10/2021: Pine64's New PinePhone Pro and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Codename

8. [Meme] GitHub Isn't Free Hosting, It's All About Control by Microsoft

Deleting GitHub isn’t a political statement but a pragmatic decision, seeing how Microsoft routinely misuses its control over GitHub to manipulate the market

9. With EPO 'Strike Regulations' Belatedly Ruled Unlawful, EPO Management May be Lowering the Salary Even Further by Introducing Outside 'Temps' or Casual Workers

Institutional capture by an 'IP' (litigation) Mafia is nearly complete; with illegal so-called (anti) 'Strike Regulations' out the door, they're quickly moving on to another plan, or so it seems on the surface

10. Links 15/10/2021: 95% of Ransomware Targets Windows

11. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, October 14, 2021

IRC logs for Thursday, October 14, 2021

12. The EPO’s Overseer/Overseen Collusion — Part XII: The French Connection

The EPO‘s presidency (led by Frenchmen for nearly 15 years out of the past 18 years; Benoît Battistelli and António Campinos are both French despite their somewhat misleading surnames) is extremely unlikely to even be mildly scrutinised by the French delegates because of a web of nepotism and protectionism

13. [Meme] Another Maladministration Meeting Comes to an End

Did the EPO‘s overseeing body properly tackle Benoît Battistelli‘s illegal acts, authorised by that very same overseeing body? Don’t hold your breath as António Campinos continues to crack down on staff (maybe ILOAT will rule on it in 2030)

14. Links 14/10/2021: LibreOffice 7.2.2, Happy Birthday to Jolla, Ubuntu 21.10, Devuan GNU+Linux 4.0, OpenBSD 7.0

15. [Teaser] What Miguel de Icaza Really Thinks of the CEO of Microsoft GitHub

Following the opening of a new series about Microsoft GitHub we drop a little teaser today; we expect dozens of parts to be released in the coming weeks/months as facts are being validated and organised

16. Splitting the Time to Cover More Leaks and Exposés

We take stock of Part 11 of the ongoing EPO series (“EPO’s Overseer/Overseen Collusion”) and explain what caused various delays yesterday; we may have to up our pace a little in order to keep up with an influx of leaks and whistleblowers

17. [Meme] Destroying the Workplace

The working conditions at the EPO continue to worsen under the António Campinos regime, perpetuating the decade-long 'demolition project' of Benoît Battistelli and his cohorts in the complicit Administrative CouncilThe working conditions at the EPO continue to worsen under the António Campinos regime, perpetuating the decade-long 'demolition project' of Benoît Battistelli and his cohorts in the complicit Administrative Council

18. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part I — Inside a Den of Corruption and Misogynists

Today we commence a new series that implicates Microsoft, GitHub, Copilot, and Team Mono

19. EPO Management Tricks EPO Staff Into Taking More Paycuts

“Education and childcare reform” [sic] is an António Campinos "reform" in the same sense regressive salary reductions are just “adjustments” (euphemism); Electronic opt-in gaffes, according to staff representatives, show that the tradition of Benoît Battistelli carries on at the Office, taking away from staff for a few corrupt officials to milk the institution to death

20. Links 14/10/2021: Whisker Menu 2.6.1 and KDE's Birthday

21. Links 14/10/2021: DragonFly 6.0.1 Released and Red Hat Loses Another Top Executive

22. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, October 13, 2021

IRC logs for Wednesday, October 13, 2021

23. Süddeutsche Zeitung Became a Propaganda Arm of EPO Management (and by Extension Software Patents/Patent Lobbyists)

EPO ‘genius’ António Campinos enjoys shallow press coverage, which echoes or resembles Benoît Battistelli‘s corruption of the media (paid-for fluff)

24. GNOME (and Debian) Infringe Human Rights by Shipping Parental Control Software (Internally Called “Malcontent”)

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

25. No, JWZ, Discord is Not “IRC With Pictures”

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

26. The EPO’s Overseer/Overseen Collusion — Part XI: “General Bock” - Battistelli's Swiss Apprentice?

The António Campinos-led EPO won’t be subjected to real oversight by the Administrative Council, which ‘met’ (online) earlier today; so we look at who in the Administrative Council did what; today we wrap up the parts about Switzerland (third part of three)

27. Links 13/10/2021: Sparky 2021.10 and New Archcraft

28. Links 13/10/2021: Firefox Keylogger on (By Default), GNOME Platform Design Discussed

29. [Meme] [Teaser] Swiss Alexandre Benallas

The EPO‘s French dictator, Benoît ‘Vichy’ Battistelli, might be relieved to hear that his enabler in the adjacent Switzerland also enlisted armed bullies to keep the population down (the father of António Campinos might know a thing or two about those; it’s why he fled to France)

30. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, October 12, 2021