07.11.07

No, Miguel, I Will Neither Shut Up Nor Will I Retract (Unless You Are Being Specific)

Posted in Novell, Security, Site News at 11:53 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

I’ll make a confession. I’m a little worried about criticising Novell. But why should I? If Novell does something wrong, this needs to be pointed out, doesn’t it?

As our reader gpl1 said the other day, making subtle statements which accuse me of defamation makes it seem like muting attempts. Shades of SCO?

I noticed the same type of thing in Rob Weir’s blog. Even ideas such as “lawsuits” are now being raised in that comments section. He received a lot of press exposure after he had criticised Microsoft’s OpenXML (rightly so!) .

I refuse to let companies like Novell win by changing the tone of this blog, which relies on decent sources that are being cited. Mistakes are being corrected as well.

So, here is short little outburst to show that Novell has some problems, which I am no longer going to ignore. Holding back evidence of weaknesses is akin to censorship.

When Novell announced it would no longer support NPS, “we decided it was time to move to something we would have more control of,” Cash says. “It was time to look for an open source solution.”

To Novell’s staff that has criticisms, please propose a correction and please be specific. Calling something “defamatory” without an argument to back this is akin to Microsoft’s IP accusations against Linux.

1. Anonymous said,

July 12, 2007 at 3:26 am

Just nit picking but in the last paragraph “criticals flaws” and “without and arguments ” should be fixed.

July 12, 2007 at 4:25 am

Thanks. Corrected.

I always have some typos that need ironing out. My writing pace is to blame. I need to proofread.

3. Ian said,

July 12, 2007 at 11:01 am

Not to put words into anyone else’s mouth, but I think the point he was making was that you claimed he was in the know before Jeremy Allison was which Miguel claimed is untrue. Plus, I wouldn’t exactly put a comment on a blog on equal footing with a multi billion dollar company making IP claims against an entitity, regardless of how weak those claims are.

Your implied link to “SCO-like” activities is a stretch at best. Anyone in Miguel’s postition(you and me included) would probably not back down when you disagree with a comment made about you that you don’t agree with or think not to be true. You can call something defamation and it not have legal implications.

To be honest though, I’m just rendering an opinion based on what I read. Only Miguel can clear up what he really meant.

4. Ian said,

July 12, 2007 at 11:07 am

One more thing, I would hope that Novell would never do anything to try and shut this site down in its current form. While I personally disagree with many parts of your message, you should have every right to state your opinion. It would be a mistake for Novell to ever try to muzzle public opinion on this site or any other site.

July 12, 2007 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Ian. To clarify, this was not the first time that I confronted Miguel (here and elsewhere). My opinions are not welcomed by everyone and everywhere, but in places where I post I tend to be surrounded by a crowd that thinks alike.

You are right about parts of this message being a stretch. This was an impulsive post and my pace sometimes hinders careful selection of words and leads to ambiguities. For example, earlier today I realised that I had written “de Icaza supports OOXML”. While I meant to say that he supports its approval by the ISO or accepts its existence, some might misinterpret this and insinuate that he chooses OOXML over ODF.

Here and elsewhere I tend to choose speed, sometimes at the expense of quality and accuracy. The openness of the discussion leaves room for correction.

6. Sebastiaan Veld said,

July 12, 2007 at 2:20 pm

‘You may wish to know that Novell, just like its ‘partner’ Microsoft, suffers from some critical flaws on this ‘patch Tuesday’. According to a recent article, Novell continues losing customers as well.’

I should start to worry when there was no fix for a flaw. Then, give me one company or (open source) project that does not ever have flaws in their code that need to be, or have been fixed. Even on a Tuesday:)

The article does not say Novell loses a customer, just one piece of software (IMO crappy, but a good solution at the time is was lauched) NPS is changed for an open solution LifeRay. Realise that for most Novell customers NPS is already part of NetWare, known as Virtual Office.
    My opinion is that for portal solutions an open ground in general is best. So, also Novell saw that after experimenting with different portal solutions (like NPS, VO and eXtend) and that’s the reason Novell also works also on LiveRay: LiveRay is the portal used for Novell’s upcoming ‘Novell Teaming and Conferencing’ product and will also be part of the Worgroup Suite Solution… One could image that this customer has chosen this portal since there might be a nice upgrade path for the services that they use, (may be) GroupWise, NetWare, OES Linux, and looking at T&C that they then can integrate in their open-portal solution AND still having support from Novell.

Think this gives a slightly different turn to the story.

7. Miguel de Icaza said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:05 pm

The issue that I have with Roy statement is this paragraph, which is a complete fabrication:

“To repeat old facts, the developers were not part of the this decision, with the exception of a few prominent ones such as Miguel de Icaza, who is a VP. It was all done secretly. Jeremy Allison knew about it and he protested against the sneaky, 90th-minute inclusion of patent elements. These elements were not part of the original deal, which had been negotiated for months.”

From:

As I said on those comments, I learned on the same day that Jeremy Allison learned about it (or perhaps the night before when I was told to go to Waltham).

Roy could make his points based on actual evidence, he does not need to manufacture them. I guess its just a cultural issue, Roy living in the UK, the land of the tabloid, he does not know better.

Miguel.

8. Miguel de Icaza said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:07 pm

I expect Roy to correct his statements (as he says on this very blog entry) as he has no evidence to prove that I was involved in the deal before other Open Source people in the company found out about it.

So Roy, when is the apology and the correction coming out?

Miguel.

July 12, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Miguel, you misread what I wrote, but I’ll cross it out to remove what might be perceived as an ambiguous statement.

When I wrote:

I meant to say that you knew about it before the large majority of the developers were informed (possibly just after the announcement). I was not referring to Jeremy Allison there. Either way, thanks for the correction and I hope any room for misinterpretation is no longer there.

By the way, I don’t read tabloids. Can’t stand them.

10. John Drinkwater said,

July 12, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Calling the UK the land of the tabloid does a great disservice to our many broadsheets.
    Can I start calling your country of birth (unfairly) the land of the servants?

11. Slated said,

July 15, 2007 at 11:08 am

Re: de Icaza’s comment about the U.K.

For a country that supposedly prides itself on the protection of the “inalienable rights” of it’s countrymen, the U.S. certainly seems to expend an awful lot of effort suppressing and violating those rights.

As to the subject at hand, I neither know nor care who knew what or when. What I do know is that the Novell pact with Microsoft is a violation of everything Free Software stands for, and anyone involved in that pact, or in support of it, has lost the trust and faith of the Free Software community.

At best, Novell has allowed itself to be extorted in a fashion similar to a protection racket, and at worst (given Novell’s rather patchy history) I’d say it’s not unlikely that Novell wilfully betrayed the Free Software community for a handful of silver.

As a Fedora user and maintainer, I am fortunate in that I am not (currently) subject to Microsoft’s protection racket; but thanks to sell-outs like Novell, Xandros and Linspire; we all now have that threat hanging over us like a guillotine. As such, I vow to dedicate my time to purging Microsoft tainted components from every aspect of the Free Software community, as much as is possible, starting with the new Gobuntu project, and further extending that to Fedora and others. My first task will be to advocate for the depreciation and elimination of Mono and all it’s equally tainted dependants.

Here’s what Bruce Perens has to say about Mono:

AFAIAC Novell is now as serious a threat to the Free Software community as Microsoft, possibly more (like a Wolf in Sheep’s clothing). If Novell truly is the “next SCO”, then may it quickly perish.

July 15, 2007 at 11:49 am

Good bit of audio you got there. I recommend everyone who reads this to have a quick listen.

It is as eye-opening as it needs to be.

13. Slated said,

June 13, 2008 at 2:57 am

Note: the URL for this clip has changed:

14. Root said,

June 13, 2008 at 4:54 am

This website is one big hate and smear campaign. And it is laughable when its maintainer acts all “innocent damsell in distress”.

1. Links 20/8/2019: KMyMoney 5.0.6, Kdenlive 19.08

2. Guarding and Rescuing the FSF Titanic: Free Software in Education

"If everyone learns to code, then everyone gains some understanding of how to code in other languages."

3. Links 19/8/2019: Another Linux 5.3 RC, OpenSUSE's Richard Brown Steps Down, Slackware Creates Patreon Page, Qt 6 Initiated

4. Speaking Truth to Monopolies (or How to Write Guest Posts in Techrights)

We need to have more articles tackling the passage of all power — especially when it comes to software — to few large monopolies that disregard human rights or actively participate in their abolishment in the digital realm

5. Guarding and Rescuing the FSF Titanic: Free as in Speech

"While a new breed of so-called anarchists campaign against expression that even the state allows, people are also foolishly overplaying the relevance of the state to free speech issues -- as if it's not a freedom issue when a project is increasingly thought-policed, because the thought-policing isn't on a state level."

6. Toxic Culture at Microsoft

Racism, intolerance, sexism and bullying are rampant at Microsoft; but Microsoft would rather deflect/divert/sidetrack to Google and so-called 'GAFA'

7. Guarding and Rescuing the FSF Titanic: Introduction

"The FSF isn't just threatened, it will hit a large iceberg in the future that changes it permanently."

8. Linux Journal and Linux.com Should Have Been Kept Going

There's apparently no good explanation for the effective shutdown of Linux Journal and Linux.com; London Trust Media Holdings (LTMH), owner of Linux Journal, saw numbers improving and the Linux Foundation, steward of Linux.com, is loaded with money

9. 2019 Microsoft Glossary

How Microsoft internally interprets words that it is saying to the public and to the press

10. 2019 Surveillance Glossary

Distortion of technical and nontechnical terms in this day and age of '1984'

11. Openwashing Report: It's Getting Worse, Fast. Everything is Apparently 'Open' Now Even Though It's Actually Proprietary.

The latest examples (this past week's) of openwashing in the media, ranging from 5G to surveillance

12. GitHub is a Dagger Inside Free/Open Source Software (FOSS); This is Why Microsoft Bought It

A year later it seems pretty evident that Microsoft doesn’t like FOSS but is merely trying to control it, e.g. by buying millions of FOSS projects/repositories at the platform level (the above is what the Linux Foundation‘s Jim Zemlin said to Microsoft at their event while antitrust regulators were still assessing the proposed takeover)

13. Microsoft Grows Within and Eats You From the Inside

Microsoft entryism and other subversive tactics continue to threaten and sometimes successfully undermine the competition; Microsoft is nowadays doing that to core projects in the Free/Open Source software world

14. Links 18/8/2019: New KNOPPIX and Emmabuntus Released

15. Links 17/8/2019: Unigine 2.9 and Git 2.23

16. Computer-Generated Patent Applications Show That Patents and Innovations Are Very Different Things

The 'cheapening' of the concept of 'inventor' (or 'invention') undermines the whole foundation/basis of the patent system and deep inside patent law firms know it

17. Concerns About IBM's Commitment to OpenSource.com After the Fall of Linux.com and Linux Journal

The Web site OpenSource.com is over two decades old; in its current form it's about a decade old and it contains plenty of good articles, but will IBM think so too and, if so, will investment in the site carry on?

18. Electronic Frontier Foundation Makes a Mistake by Giving Award to Microsoft Surveillance Person

At age 30 (almost) the Electronic Frontier Foundation still campaigns for privacy; so why does it grant awards to enemies of privacy?

19. Caturdays and Sundays at Techrights Will Get Busier

Our plan to spend the weekends writing more articles about Software Freedom; it seems like a high-priority issue

20. Why Techrights Doesn't Do Social Control Media

Being managed and censored by platform owners (sometimes their shareholders) isn’t an alluring proposition when a site challenges conformist norms and the status quo; Techrights belongs in a platform of its own

21. Patent Prosecution Highways and Examination Highways Are Dooming the EPO

Speed is not a measure of quality; but today's EPO is just trying to get as much money as possible, as fast as possible (before the whole thing implodes)

22. Software Patents Won't Come Back Just Because They're (Re)Framed/Branded as "HEY HI" (AI)

The pattern we've been observing in recent years is, patent applicants and law firms simply rewrite applications to make these seem patent-eligible on the surface (owing to deliberate deception) and patent offices facilitate these loopholes in order to fake 'growth'

23. IP Kat Pays the Price for Being a Megaphone of Team UPC

The typical or the usual suspects speak out about the so-called 'prospects' (with delusions of inevitability) of the Unified Patent Court Agreement, neglecting to account for their own longterm credibility

24. Links 17/8/2019: Wine 4.14 is Out, Debian Celebrates 26 years

25. Nothing Says 'New' Microsoft Like Microsoft Component Firmware Update (More Hardware Lock-in)

Vicious old Microsoft is still trying to make life very hard for GNU/Linux, especially in the OEM channel/s, but we're somehow supposed to think that "Microsoft loves Linux"

26. Bill Gates and His Special Relationship With Jeffrey Epstein Still Stirring Speculations

Love of the "children" has long been a controversial subject for Microsoft; can Bill Gates and his connections to Jeffrey Epstein unearth some unsavoury secrets?

27. Links 16/8/2019: Kdevops and QEMU 4.1

28. The EPO's War on the Convention on the Grant of European Patents 2000 (EPC 2000), Not Just Brexit, Kills the Unitary Patent (UP/UPC) and Dooms Justice

Team UPC continues to ignore the utter failures that have led to lawlessness at the EPO, attributing the demise of the Unified Patent Court (UPC) to Brexit alone and pretending that it's not even a problem

29. Links 15/8/2019: GNOME's Birthday, LLVM 9.0 RC2

30. 'Foundation' Hype Spreads in China

Nonprofits seem to have become more of a business loophole than a charitable endeavour; the problem is, this erodes confidence in legitimate Free software and good causes