- How to: install Linux on your Nintendo DS
- How to: install Linux on your PlayStation 3
- Lightsprint SDK Ported to PS3, Linux, New Licensee
- Scott Munro’s Games Round-Up
My review unit came with Windows XP – the 701s ran on a customised Xandros Linux operating system, still an option for the new model and the 901, launching here on July 1.
I prefer the Linux OS myself – it runs faster on the Eee’s 900Mhz Celeron processor, but the 1024MB of RAM certainly help push things along nicely.
- Mot ships new Linux phones
Motorola has quietly started shipping three new Linux-based “PDA” phones.
- Paperless Schools and Linux Notebooks for Every Kid
- [Bob Sutor:] Life after Windows, 3 1/2 months: Deleted the Windows partition
* I am now completely *ix-based for work.
* The only Windows machines I have left in my house are in the attic
and/or are broken.
* I feel more productive in my operating environments than ever before.
- Do we really need another packaging system?
The reality of the situation is that the differences between distros gives people a chance to innovate more with how a Linux system works. Trying to funnel everything down through some common layer at the bottom really reduces the chances for big innovation to happen.
- Nvidia says no to free drivers, I say no to Nvidia
Linux kernel developers issue a statement signed by about 100 developers that they find non-free kernel modules to be undesirable and harmful. As they say “Such modules negate the openness, stability, flexibility, and maintainability of the Linux development model and shut their users off from the expertise of the Linux community.
- [Wine 1.1.0 Released]
- A second look at Slitaz 1.0: turns out it has a lot of potential
- Nokia’s Open Source Response: The Symbian Q&A
A: A few of the inquiries we’ve seen incoming have asked whether the EPL is compatible with the GPL – the license that governs, among other projects – Linux. The answer to that question is no, it is not. So Symbian assets will not be permitted to be legally recombined with Linux code for their mobile efforts.
- Nokia to buy and open source Symbian
There’s a huge difference between Linux and the handsets, though, and I think it’s an important one.
- GIMP for Mac OS X: Perfect Alternative to Adobe Photoshop
- Mozilla pitches Firefox 3.1 alpha for July release
- Bevy of Browsers Give Firefox a Run for Its Money
- Getting started with KWord Development
- Abiword: One Lean, Mean, Word Processing Machine
- Open Source Mobile: Funambol Keeps Growing…
- Halamka becomes an open source believer
- Open Source Backup Bolsters Its Case
- Orbitz paves the way to enterprise open-source contributions
- Sun Announces ‘unlimited’ GlassFish-MySQL Bundle
- Will Iona’s Open Source Strategy Survive Progress Acquisition?
- Swedish bloggers give MEP a kicking over media pluralism
- P2P does not harm networks
- DOJ sinks another EliteTorrent admin
- 19-year-old ‘fast flux’ botnet pioneer agrees to plead guilty
- Intel Backstabs Microsoft by Abandoning Vista
The news that Intel has decided it won’t upgrade its PCs to Vista must be especially bitter for Microsoft because court documents show that Microsoft may have launched its ill-fated “junk PC” Vista scheme at the behest of Intel. Is this the kind of payback that Microsoft expected?
- IBM woos Microsoft with iDataPlex oddity
- IBM worms its way into African economy… with chocolate
- Does Yahoo reorg signal cloud computing move?
- Escaping From Locked-In Clouds