Microsoft has already used up some of its usual ‘buddies’, namely IDC and The Burton Group [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24] (among others), to slam ODF and rival office suites. Now it Gartner’s turn and guess where the report turns up first? That’s right — Microsoft. For those who do not know what the Partner Group is, here are places to start:
- Gartner et al Fixing the Price for the Entire Industry?
- How Jim Allchin, Gartner and Enderle Lied to the Whole World
- IDC, Gartner and Yankee Group’s Latest Press Attack on Customer’s Competitors
- Analyst Firms, Including IDC and Gartner, Named and Shamed for Serving as Microsoft Mouthpieces
- Another Hopeful ‘Prophecy’ From the Gartner Group(‘s Paying Clients)
- Microsoft ‘Bribes’ Mac Bloggers to Slam Apple, Gartner Hosts Google FUD
Venture a guess as to who wrote the report? People can learn about him here. He is one of Microsoft’s well-known mouthpieces, who has already planted pro-OOXML messages in the press. The guy literally spends his life with Microsoft employees.
The industry would be better off with open formats and choice. A proprietary format can only be described as preferably by those who are foolish or bribed. And we’ve already seen Microsoft bribes in the OOXML saga. Be critical and be very suspicious. █
“Analysts sell out – that’s their business model… But they are very concerned that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very prickly to work with.”
–Microsoft, internal document