04.08.09

Microsoft Breaks the Law in Germany and Gets Convicted, Fined

Posted in Europe, Fraud, Microsoft at 6:00 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Crime scene

Summary: Collusion charges against Microsoft lead to hefty fines

THIS JUST in via The Register:

The German competition authority, the BundesKartellamt, has fined Microsoft €9m for colluding with retailers to set the price of “Office Home and Student 2007″.

There are more articles in German and in English.

It is worth emphasising that Germany fined SCO for its slander of Linux and it can probably do the same to Microsoft.

Since Germany is determined to punish for collusion, the authorities should also take a look at EDGI schemes and the “<OEM> recommends Windows” scheme. There are many more examples of ill or illegal business practices.

Related readings:

1. spartan2276 said,

April 10, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Roy you should try to look into what MS is doing to US retailers, for some reason all the Linux netbooks have vanished from big name sales stores such as Frys and Best Buy. I remember you could buy a netbook with linux on best buys website and at any best buy store, but now no longer the case, I have read a couple of blogs about people complaining about it. And also on ZDNet, although I can’t remember the link.

To me this seems like MS has paid these retailers/Distributers/Manufactures to only sell XP netbook versions. Why can’t I go an get an HP Mini with XP but not with the Customized Ubuntu interface at best buy, yet they are both from the same manufacturer. So the Coke / Pepsi analogy goes out the window.

April 10, 2009 at 1:40 pm

spartan2276,

I don’t have any ‘smoking gun’ memos, but I suggest you read:

It would be helpful if there were confirmed leaks, but we have none about sub-notebooks, except:

3. pcolon said,

April 10, 2009 at 1:54 pm

The only Linux netbook available @Best Buy, in Rochester, NY, is a dusty eeepc701. The others (eee1000, Acer Aspire one and HP) are XP.

Seems like if you want a Linux netbook you either pay the MS-Tax or import it.

April 10, 2009 at 7:16 pm

…OR… the retailers got a lot of complaints/returns from customers who bought the Linux-based netbooks and so they stopped selling them and are now only selling the XP-based netbooks.

Let’s not do any research before whipping out the conspiracy theories, eh?

5. Ed Landaveri said,

April 11, 2009 at 12:18 am

Spartan sounds correct. I haven’t seen any netbooks at Fry’s, or MicroCenter in Orange County, CA. It wouldn’t surprise me if MS have paid the retailers and manufactures for doing so. I found a student that bought one but had to pay the MS tax ’cause she couldn’t find the ones with Ubuntu.

They’re trying to hide the fact that these devices exist, and the regular users have their hands tied when choosing what to buy. It also influences the fact that for example when given to choose two netbooks the one that comes with Ubuntu have lower hardware spects that it’s XP counterparts. I want a netbook that have the hardware same hardware specs than the XP ones. It seems like discrimination and collusion between the OEM’s and MS.

Another question I have maybe someone can help: What can be done against this? How can we force the OEM’s to spell out the price you pay for the Operating system everytime you buy a laptop or computer here in the US? I know somewhere in Europe they were forced to do this. What can we as consumers can do about this? It would be the first step towars getting the choice of OS every time anyone buys the computer or at least consumers know how much they are charged for buying the piece of crapware that comes preinstalled with those machines? Last year I talked to the a Dell representative about getting a laptop without Windows, he told me that they’re offering Ubuntu on some systems, I told him I wanted something with higher end hardware and I could install my own, but he replied that that’s the way they do it. All of my boxes are custom build (no brand) because I didn’t want to pay the MS tax but I needed a laptop for my daughter. They push MS crapware whether you like it or not! This have to be stopped. Thanks

pcolon Reply:

System76, Emperor Linux have GNU/Linux laptops & desktops. Don’t know if they also have what MS likes to call “naked PCs”, that is, computers without an OS.

Here, in western NY, we have a couple of small computer stores that are selling unbranded PCs and eeePCs with GNU/Linux. They also sell some of them with XP but they usually get returned primarily because hardware configs are the same for windows as it is for FOSS (4 & 8gb SSD).

April 11, 2009 at 9:34 am

“Keir Thomas has responded to the recent raft of news stories pointing out that Linux’s share of the netbook market isn’t as rosy as it used to be. Thomas thinks the problem boils down to a combination of unfamiliar software and unfamiliar hardware, which can ‘push users over the edge.’ This accounts for the allegedly high return rates of Linux netbooks. In contrast, although far from superior, Windows provides a more familiar environment, making the hardware issues (irritatingly small keyboard, screen etc.) seem less insurmountable; users are less likely to walk away. ‘Once again Microsoft’s monopoly means Windows is swallowing up another market.’”

Ya don’t say…

Well, I guess that just goes to show that you guys are too eager to shoot first and never ask the question later.

As I suggested above, it turns out I was right about the # of Linux netbook returns and that’s a much more likely reason for the retailers having stopped putting them on shelves.

Being pro-Linux doesn’t mean you guys need to attack everyone who isn’t and theorizing about conspiracies.

I’m pro-Linux, and I don’t do that. IMHO, the best way to advocate Linux is to make the FLOSS software the best software out there. The best products usually win in the end (the only time they don’t is when the company that makes said software goes out of business, but FLOSS can’t go out of business).

You guys hurt FLOSS more than you help it buy reinforcing the idea that the FLOSS community are a bunch of tin foil hat wearing nutjobs.

Luckily it’s only the vocal minority that are the tin foil hat wearing nutjobs, but it still gives a poor impression to the majority of people who aren’t F/LOSS converts.

1. Emulating the Linux Foundation's Business Model (Selling Influence)

LibrePlanet sponsors are presented with benefits of offering money to the event (or to the FSF)

2. Guest Article: LibrePlanet Attendees Should Demand a Partial Refund

What we do know is — that the FSF is no longer “Free as in Speech!”

3. IRC Proceedings: Monday, February 24, 2020

IRC logs for Monday, February 24, 2020

4. An FSF That Rejects Its Founder Would Not Remain FSF As We Once Knew It

It's important to keep the FSF focused on its goals; that won't be achieved by expelling those who insist on these goals

5. Links 24/2/2020: Linux 5.6 RC3, Netrunner 20.01, Google Summer of Code 2020 Mentoring Organisations Announced

6. Alexandre Oliva's New Article About a Coup

Some people try to tell me that the criticism I've got, inside the FSF and outside, since the Free Software Sept 11, are not about my being supportive of RMS, but about my making public statements referencing him at all.

7. Debian Leadership Should Not be 'Shy' of Politics (and It's OK to Admit Palestinians Are Human Beings Too)

The contemporary tendency to limit people's freedom of speech (e.g. permission to express political views) means that while people may find software freedom they will lose other essential freedoms

8. New Series: Inside the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

In the interest and motivation of exposing the true nature of things, Techrights will turn its attention to internal affairs at the higher echelons of the FSF, founded more than three and a half decades ago in MIT (where Stallman launched the GNU Project, developed the GNU Compiler Collection and a lot more foundational Free software)

9. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, February 23, 2020

IRC logs for Sunday, February 23, 2020

10. Links 23/2/2020: PipeWire 0.3 and Osu!

11. FSF's Interim Co-President Alexandre Oliva on Being Cancelled

It was reading this that I realized I’d been cancelled myself. In my case, I was painted misogynist and transphobic, and for a post in which I supported women but denounced a crowd of men twisting the feminist cause, that I share, to attack rms, as if he wasn’t a feminist himself; and in which I express curiosity as to what pronoun to use to refer to zero women to paint me as someone who disregards gender identities and their pronouns.

12. Good People Need to Run for Free Software Foundation (FSF) Board Positions After an FSF Coup Threw in the Towel, Pushing Out the Founder

"I have been hit, but not knocked out, and my campaign for free software is not over." --Richard Stallman, October 2019

13. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, February 22, 2020

IRC logs for Saturday, February 22, 2020

14. Alexandre Oliva's Message About Cancel Culture at the FSF

Being cancelled is no fun. In my case, it was for standing for a friend who got canceled for defending someone else from an accusation that was later proven false.

15. Links 22/2/2020: Polish Government Increases GNU/Linux Use, Samza 1.3.1

16. Being Rich Does Not Imply Being Smart (Especially When One is Born Into Wealth)

Presenting the 'genius' (college dropout, but that does not matter when the yardstick of wisdom is wealth alone), with his own predictions overlaid on top of his photo from the show of Bloomberg (another 'genius' whose supposed brilliance is measured using money alone)

17. The Rise and Fall of Free Software

"We simply need to make the movement less corporate, and more grassroots."

18. Why You Should Adopt Debian 10, Not Vista 10 (Windows Vista With Microsoft's Latest Surveillance Add-ons)

A little personal story and recommendation of Debian "Buster" (10) or Devuan (whose developers persist)

19. Ethics by Exclusion

It's the same old philosophical question; can excluding those who are perceived to be intolerant be seen as an act of tolerance?

20. Even Worse Than Microsoft Inside the Board of the OSI

The OSI has accepted people from companies that actively attack Software Freedom and there may be more on their way

21. ZDNet Continues to Stuff Its 'Linux' Section With Proprietary Software of Microsoft

The above is what the "Linux" section of ZDNet is going to look like throughout the weekend (and this is hardly unusual, either)

22. IRC Proceedings: Friday, February 21, 2020

IRC logs for Friday, February 21, 2020

23. Links 21/2/2020: EasyOS 2.2.11 Released, Microsoft's Control of the Linux Foundation Increases and More Binary Blobs Arrive

24. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, February 20, 2020

IRC logs for Thursday, February 20, 2020

25. Video: LinuxWorld 1999, Torvalds and Stallman

LinuxWorld 1999, Torvalds and Stallman

26. GNU World Order is a Personal Sacrifice, LinuxWorld Just Business

As the Linux Foundation shows, Linux is just business (and proprietary software) as usual, software patents included, whereas it’s GNU that continues the Free Software Movement’s battles

27. Links 20/2/2020: Oracle Solaris 11.4 SRU18, Mesa 20, VirtualBox 6.1.4

28. Open Source Did Not Win, It Was Assimilated to and by Proprietary Software

Don’t fall for the whole “Open Source has won!” spiel; You know we’ve lost the battle (and were in effect gradually conquered) at OSI and elsewhere when those who speak for the OSI are Michael Cheng (Facebook), Max Sills (Google), and Chris Aniszczyk (Linux Foundation); they say “Open Source Under Attack” (FOSDEM talk) but their employers are the ones attacking and they downplay openwashing

29. Former Microsoft Employees Don't Like Talking About Past and Present Microsoft Back Doors (Designed for Spy Agencies)

In a typical Microsoftian fashion, once they cannot defend the illusion/delusion that Microsoft values security the 'Softers' run away and block any further debate

30. Techrights Warns Against Impending Extradition Efforts (Passage of Julian Assange to His Death in the United States)

Imprisonment of journalists who are effective at exposing crimes (of the powerful, not petty crimes) must never be condoned