01.07.08

Microsoft’s Latest: Want Olympics on Linux? Get Mono (and Pay ‘Patent Tax’)

Posted in DRM, Microsoft, Mono, Novell, Patents at 11:56 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

“We’re disheartened because Microsoft helped W3C develop the very standards that they’ve failed to implement in their browser. We’re also dismayed to see Microsoft continue adding proprietary extensions to these standards when support for the essentials remains unfinished.”

George Olsen, Web Standards Project

Do you enjoy watching the Olympic games? Got Silverlight? No? Then you may be out of luck after Microsoft’s partnership in the 2008 games.

Tuning In to Microsoft Silverlight for Olympic Gold

[...]

It’s also serving notice that Microsoft wants to be one of the major “channels” for Internet television.

The main problem with this, as we have stressed many times before, is that only Novell customers receive so-called ‘protection’ for the use of Mono (and therefore Moonlight, which is incomplete anyway). This protection expires less than 5 years from now.

By accepting Silverlight on the Web, Linux users put themselves in a position where Microsoft can claim that every Linux user owes Microsoft money and even demand and receive that money. Are all Linux developers even aware of the fact that Microsoft already makes money from their own voluntary work? Complacency is very dangerous here.

Novell has a role in this because it supports Silverlight, just like it supports OOXML (and other things from Microsoft). If users accept this, then they accept an ambush. When OOXML and Silverlight dependency is increased, Microsoft’s patent wrath will mount. Don’t let Novell turn Linux into what Microsoft plans to extract money from.

Bad Silverlight

1. Lukas said,

January 8, 2008 at 10:03 am

> The main problem with this, as we have stressed many times before, is
    > that only Novell customers receive so-called ‘protection’ for the use of
    > Mono (and therefore Moonlight

According to that, it would appear that everyone is protected for the use of Moonlight (so long as it’s being used as a browser plugin). Now, I am not a lawyer, so my interpretation may be wrong, but it sure sounds like they are covered even if they received a copy of Moonlight from a distributor other than Novell.

> , which is incomplete anyway).

[incomplete] links to an article you published about Popfly, claiming that Moonlight does not work with Popfly… out of curiosity, I decided to try to view Popfly under Linux using Moonlight and was able to do so just fine. I was able to drag things around, drop them here and there, resize things, etc.

So it would appear that your argument that Popfly can’t be used by Linux users is bogus.

Perhaps you should install Moonlight to test things before saying that Moonlight doesn’t work? :)

January 8, 2008 at 10:38 am

My understanding of this is different. See this:

I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on what basis they want to fight the free world.

If that’s the case, then Microsoft’s own magazine, which is published in January 2008, is incorrect. It claimed no Linux support.

3. Lukas said,

January 8, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Well, I’m not sure I see the connection between the link I posted and the Xandros-Microsoft deal. Seems to me that they are unrelated.

The way I understand the Moonlight link is that it is all-encompassing, while the Xandros deal is, well, Xandros specific and being that the Xandros deal came about /before/ the Moonlight link I posted above, seems to me that Xandros users would still be covered for usage of Moonlight.

However, even if the Xandros deal came post-Moonlight, I’d still understand the Moonlight deal to cover Xandros customers since neither deal impose any exceptions to the contrary.

Again, I remind that I am not a lawyer, so my interpretation could be wrong.

As far as the Microsoft magazine saying Popfly has no Linux support, well, if you read the original article, it has this to say on the subject:

The animations are equal to those of Flash in terms of quality. However, Popfly does have one flaw, which is no Linux support. Novell Inc. is developing a Linux version of Silverlight called “Moonlight.”

So all the article is really saying is that the Microsoft implementation of Silverlight doesn’t work under Linux. Well, “duh”.

The mention of Moonlight seems to be saying that “Linux /will/ be able to render Popfly” and as I discovered this morning, it already does.

January 8, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Interesting information. I see your point. With regards to patents, be aware that Microsoft has a lot to earn with Moonlight (no wonder it supports it) because it can pretty much put Mono on as many Linux desktops as there are running Flash (that includes KDE user, for instance). Think of this as ‘installed base’.

It would be naive to trivialise the issue and argue that just because Moonlight is released, there are no longer legal issues with Mono. Be aware that with Mono/.NET on every desktop, Microsoft will expand this further and have Linux playing by its own rules (did you know that Evolution extensions written in C# are apparently planned?), This is not only risky; it’s totally unnecessary because there is no Mono ‘killer app’ (Silverlight is still docked in bay at the moment, so why bring out the beast?).

Remember: when you are distracted and you start mimicking Microsoft technology to compete with Microsoft, you haven’t a chance. There are lessons about this in history.

5. Victor Soliz said,

January 9, 2008 at 9:54 am

Miguel de Icaza and certain Novell PR guy beg to differ: http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9774550-16.html

6. Lukas said,

January 9, 2008 at 10:10 am

Did you notice that Miguel’s blog and the CNET article were both published before the link I pasted?

That says to me that things have changed /since/ the CNET article was published.

What once was true is no longer.

January 9, 2008 at 10:55 am

Lukas,

Mind the first comment in CNET. It isn’t an isolated incident where Novell’s PR department and Miguel de Icaza contact Matt by E-mail (or via blog comments) to twist his arm. Since then, Matt has also said that Novell had been bending his arm on this matter (he’s not alone because Dana Blakenhorn received the same type of treatment). See:

Among more examples I could find if you are interested.

8. Miles said,

January 9, 2008 at 11:59 am

Roy,

I’m not sure I see how that contradicts what Lukas has noted. Please elaborate?

Also, I am somewhat suspect of Matt Asay’s claims of Novell twisting his arm – so far all of the “arm twisting” emails/blog comments are public (Miguel blogged his email discussion with Matt Asay and the blog comment on Asay’s blog is, well, clearly also public) and they seem to me to be correcting what they see as false information and/or clarifying what was actually meant.

To put things in perspective, lets say that I write an article claiming you said XYZ. You then follow up to my blog making a correction saying “what I /actually/ meant was …” – is that twisting my arm? Or is that merely correcting a mistake?

I know it serves your purpose (and Matt Asay’s purpose) to spin a negative tone on it and thus make Novell look bad, but that doesn’t make it true.

January 9, 2008 at 12:31 pm

In this podcast he said that they asked him to be nice, IIRC (I listened to the one-hour recording just once). And then there’s Dana, but I can’t recall the details too well. I think they sent him E-mails also, but I’m not sure.

Based on E-mail correspondences I’ve had, I can tell you there’s one person who criticises Novell in public because Matt no longer does this.

10. Miles said,

January 9, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Call me a skeptic, but Matt Asay pretty clearly has a grudge against Novell and that makes him an unreliable (as in, he’s not an objective) source.

As far as Dana Blankenhorn, you yourself have agreed that the guy is a spin doctor in a previous article on your site.

My point is that you can’t blindly trust what these 2 people have to say.

11. Lukas said,

January 9, 2008 at 7:08 pm

I was about to ask the same question Miles asked when I realised Miles already asked it :)

January 9, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Miles, Matt used to work at Novell and having read his writings for about 2 years, I can safely say that he had no grudge against Novell before the Microsoft deal. I can honestly say so.

As for Dana, I do wonder where I said he was a spin doctor. I criticised him for other things such as mixing politics with technology (e.g. characterising Mark Shuttleworth as anti-America), but I can’t recall ever calling him a spin doctor.

13. Jose said,

January 10, 2008 at 12:14 pm

(posting here since this thread is the most recent and funnily enough also involves Matt Asay)

I was just browsing the Monologue and couldn’t help but notice a slew of Mindtouch posts about Dekiwiki. What struck me as odd was that just a few weeks ago, Matt Asay was talking (read: naming it the best thing since sliced bread) about Dekiwiki on his CNET blog and mentioned that he was so impressed with it that he just had to get involved with the project and has positioned himself as an Adviser to it.

Googleing for Mindtouch, Dekiwiki and Mono – I discovered that Dekiwiki is Mono-based (which explains why it is all over Monologue).

It would appear that Matt Asay has changed his tune about Mono.

14. Miles said,

January 10, 2008 at 4:08 pm

MattD said,

August 7, 2007 at 11:17 am

Dana Blankenhorn of ZDNet is retarded. His “analysis” of Shuttleworth’s statements is a “spin” (and not a very good one) regarding Linux that I’ve never heard before.

It was important for this writer to point out that Ubuntu is not a US-based Linux distribution. It was important for this “writer” to use words like un-american. The article reads like it was written by a racist, a xenophobe and an MS Troll.

and then you followed up:

Roy Schestowitz said,

August 7, 2007 at 4:37 pm

I agree with you, Matt. I also said this here when I first spotted that item

You were either agreeing that Dana is a retard or you were agreeing that Dana is a spin doctor… or maybe both. Either way, you agree that his writings cannot be taken at face value.

15. Miles said,

January 10, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Haha, that’s hilarious about Matt Asay. Guess he never really believed any of that crap he vomited up about Mono or he wouldn’t be using it now.

January 10, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Published moments ago:

I also raised the issue of Novell employees like Miguel de Icaza and Nat Friedman who appear to be pushing further and further to duplicate technologies which Microsoft has developed and offering totally unconvincing explanations as to why they are doing so.

I’ll expand on that later. Thanks, Miles and Jose, for the information.

January 10, 2008 at 6:25 pm

@Miles: Oh, and by the way, here is what I said about Dana in that context. That is a pattern.

It’s none of the above. It’s the political slant I was referring to, as well as the net neutrality debates in a blog about open source software.

18. Miles said,

January 11, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Roy,

Thanks for the clarification. Allow me to explain how I arrived at my conclusion, however:

I agree with you, Matt.

This suggests you are in agreement with Matt about Dana being a spin doctor.

I also said this here when I first spotted that item _link_

This seems to add that you also question Dana due to his tendency to make his arguments political.

So, it seemed to me that you were saying (text in square brackets indicate what I read to be Roy’s meaning):

Matt, I agree with you[r] [analysis that Dana is a spin doctor]. I also said [that Dana has a tendency to make his arguments political (which I don't agree with)] when I first spotted that item.

I hope you can understand how your words lead me to my conclusion on what you were saying.

January 11, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I see what you’re saying, I’ve not checked this carefully and I write everything in this site pretty fast. If I ever suggested that Dana is a “spin doctor” (not just nodding), then I’m surprised. That’s not the way I would characterise him. I would describe his posts as:

* Frequently off topic
    * Politics-packed (just watch his personal blog and see why)
    * Contain mentions of Microsoft when more comments/traffic seem needed.

All in all, I do syndicate his blog and cite it quite regularly. The above are some of the less flattering observation, but if you want “spin doctor” consider Rob Enderle, Matt Hartley, and many of Novell’s employees.

1. Links 25/05/2022: ‘V Rising’ on GNU/Linux and Pearl Linux OS 11

2. Links 25/05/2022: Librem Tries Another Approach

3. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, May 24, 2022

IRC logs for Tuesday, May 24, 2022

4. Links 24/05/2022: nginx-1.22.0 and WordPress 6.0

5. [Meme] Divine Protection

You won’t find Monopoly Tony (António Campinos) wearing a mask at the EPO because the rules of the Office do not apply to him

6. António Campinos and the Alicante Clique (EPO Management, Appointed Based on Nepotism Despite Lack of Qualifications) Nowadays Exploiting Kids for PR Charades

The sick old habit of exploiting kids for Public Relations (PR) and marketing purposes is all too common at the EPO (they’re constantly exploiting “the children” to associate criticism of the EPO with demeaning the young and innocent), but the management — which enjoys nepotism and immunity rather than relevant skills — carries on today and it’s being called “inaugural”

7. [Meme] Snake on a Plane

The EPO‘s President ‘Monopoly Tony’ (António Campinos), whom you never see wearing a mask (none of the photo ops; he does not even socially distance himself from peers, he wears sneakers instead of masks) during the height of a pandemic, is the "f***ing president"; don’t tell him to wear one…

8. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part XX — Entering Phase II

We're about to resume the long-running series about the sick clique which ran GitHub until the assault on women became too much of a liability (among other wrongdoings and PR blunders)

9. Links 24/05/2022: Fedora 37 Test Days and Tor Browser 11.0.13

10. Microsoft Vidal, as USPTO Director, Already Plays 'Political Cards' to Disguise and Deflect Away From the Corporate Agenda

Microsoft Vidal, another corporate pawn in charge of the world’s most dangerous patent system, is using soft-spoken defle

11. Links 24/05/2022: WAL-G 2.0

12. IRC Proceedings: Monday, May 23, 2022

IRC logs for Monday, May 23, 2022

13. Unethical Advertising, Published as So-called 'Articles', in CNX Software

As we noted earlier this year, the CNX team is looking for money in the wrong places

14. Links 23/05/2022: Broadcom to Buy VMware?

15. LibreOffice Conference 2022, As Before, Puts the Keynotes on Sale (the Rich Buy Influence, the Price Doubles)

Discrimination against the community; talks and mentions are based on money, not merit ($2000 has become $4000 in just one year)

16. Links 23/05/2022: Kdenlive 22.04.1 and New Alpine Linux Released

17. António Campinos Promotes Software Patents Using Buzzwords and Sketchy Loopholes With Dubious Legal Basis

‘Monopoly Tony’ (António Campinos) is shamelessly manipulating EPO processes at both ends (sender and receiver) to facilitate the illegal granting of invalid European software patents; we’re meant to think this former EU official and imposter (banker) is some guru in the sciences because he reads a lousy speech crafted for him with lots of meaningless buzzwords peppered all over it (he’s not good at reading it, either)

18. [Meme] Jorgotta Be Kidding Us, Campinos!

Monopoly Tony (António Campinos) runs the EPO by attacking the very legal basis of the EPO’s existence

19. Unified Patent Court (UPC) Relies Too Much on Lies and Mischief Without Any Basis in Law

Today’s video runs through the typical (weekly) lies from Team UPC — lies that are very easy to debunk; Team UPC not only drafted the thing but also looks to profit from it while misleading politicians and bribing publishers to spread intentionally misleading statements (lies)

20. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, May 22, 2022

IRC logs for Sunday, May 22, 2022

21. Links 23/05/2022: Fedora 36 Reviewed

22. [Meme] It's My Working Party... And I'll Cry If I Want to!

EPO President António Campinos is still not being held accountable for his Code of Conduct violations

23. Links 22/05/2022: The 5.18 Kernel is Out

24. Gemini is Bigger Than Most People Care to Realise

Geminispace has gotten to the point where it's too computationally expensive (or outright pricey) to study, let alone keep abreast of, Gemini capsules or the domain space as a whole

25. Links 22/05/2022: Rock64 and Peppermint OS Release

26. [Meme] UPC is Always Next Year (and Next Year It'll Surely be the Year After That)

The UPC will come “next year”, just like every year (since almost a decade ago) just because the lunatic promises so and crushes the law, quite frankly as usual, cusioned and protected by the UPC lobby

27. UPC: Turning Patent Lawyers Into Liars and the Media Into Their Money-Grabbing Megaphone (Platform for Fake News)

The above 26 screenshots (with necessary annotation added) hopefully illuminate the degree of deceit, manipulation, bribery and distortion of public discourse (fake news and advocacy of patently unlawful activities)

28. Number of Working/Online Gemini Capsules, Known to Totally Legit Gemini Search (TLGS) and to Lupa, Exceeds 2,500

Assuming that Lupa reduced its crawling capacity (this graph seems to confirm this), we’ve decided to aggregate data from 3 sources and assess the size of Geminispace; Lupa says it can see 1,947 active capsules, but there are many more it has not kept track of

29. [Meme] Monopoly Tony

The gentlest, kindest president the EPO ever had

30. It Took Campinos Three or More Years to Undo Illegal Battistelli Actions on Boards of Appeal and Strike Regulations (Only After Losing at ILO-AT!), But He Does Not Mention That

Let’s all remember that as the EPO‘s so-called ‘President’ António Campinos (Monopoly Tony) vigorously defended completely unlawful actions of Benoît Battistelli until courts compelled him to stop doing that (Strike Regulations); notice how, in the video above — a portion of this full clip from several months ago — he did not bother mentioning that for 3.5 years that he had “led” the Office the Boards of Appeal were in exile, in direct violation of the EPC, yet nobody is being held accountable for it