05.02.09

Neowin Authorship Affiliated with Microsoft; Microsoft Partners See Income Fall 80% or Go Out of Business

Posted in Finance, Microsoft, Vista, Windows at 2:08 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Call for help

Summary: Microsoft folks occupy Neowin; Citrix income down sharply; OQO possibly finished

ONE OF OUR regulars, Goblin, has been investigating this Web site called Neowin, which he suspected — as many others already know — to be biased in favour of Microsoft for some good reasons:

So the newest Neowin reporter is a bit of a joker? A bit of a comedian? Im not sure, but surprise, surprise, what he is (and this is quoted from his profile)

“…..works as a Microsoft Student Partner in his spare time.”

Marvellous.

MSPs, which we wrote about before, are unpaid Microsoft boosters who receive gifts from the company in order to promote and spread its products. Here is more:

Neowin, its reporters and its users can play with Windows all day I really dont mind. What I mind is when something is posted that (IMO) is likely to mislead someone into an incorect assumption about an alternative to Microsoft products.

I wont draw inference from Simon360s posts (which are quite typical from reporters from the Neowin site who quite happily swear, insult and in one case have a girlfriend pop up in defense.) What sort of outfit is being run here? I dont see Joe Willcox, Mary Jo Foley or any of the Microsoft employees Ive had the pleasure of debating with acting like this.

Well, Joe Willcox is out (since 2 days ago), so Microsoft’s pseudo-journalists pool is drying up.

Speaking of drying up, Microsoft's income declined by over 30% and its close ally Citrix has just reported a drop of 80%.

Citrix kept pretty tight control on costs, chopping across the board, but booked $20.7m relating to the restructuring it announced at the end of January, that would see it cut 10 per cent of its 4,600-strong workforce. This obviously took a bite out of profits in the quarter, and drove net income down by 80 per cent to $6.93m.

Microsoft and Citrix have meanwhile ruined Xen and turned it into more of a “Windows thing”, so even the Linux Foundation reluctantly abandons it.

This puts pressure on revenues and profits for the XenServer products even as the installed base grows, which it is doing and will continue to do, thanks in large part to the Microsoft partnership and the need for IT departments to get more efficient and flexible.

Citrix is just one new example. OQO insists on selling just Windows, so for the second time in about a week we find rumours that it has gone out of business.

WE’VE RECEIVED an email from a well placed source who said that OQO’s last chance at flogging itself off seems destined to fail.

[...]

Last week the outfit ran out of cash and was looking for a white knight. The week before pre-orders of the OQO Model 2+ Ultramobile PC (UMPC) were cancelled after OQO was unable to commit to a ship date. OQO is in such dire financial shape that it has even halted repair and warranty services too.

That’s what happens to those who insist on selling Microsoft products in a downturn. Perhaps they just cannot compete with comparable devices running Maemo, for example.

1. Goblin said,

May 2, 2009 at 2:32 am

Hi Roy.

Firstly the Neowin issue is a difficult one. I think many reporters with experience of MS only products have a bias (either intentionally or through ignorance of alternatives) I dont think Neowin as an entity or site is favoring MS per say, I think it just has some reporters on its books that do (for whatever reason)

That being said there are a few Ive spoken to who do actually promote alternative views and not like the dubious ones that say “I love Linux and Gentoo’s great for the new user”.

I dont know if you are privy to the latest happening between myself and a Neowin reporter, but Im still in a state of shock because it was just so childish:

Whilst challenging someone who I understood was trying to bait me on Twitter (Neowin reporter), I was “attacked” (very badly I may add) by the reporters girlfriend!?!?! At first I thought I was being slow and it was some joke that I just wasnt getting, but true enough the blog was subjected to the nonsensical and badly thought out posts of a neowin reporters girlfriend. It really does beggar belief and the point I was trying to make by highlighting and dragging out her behaviour was not so much the direction or opinion of the Neowin site, it was the type of people they are recruiting to report for it.

Whats next? Bill Gate’s wife to pop up on Boycott Novell and have a go at Roy?

Anyway the matters ended. Stacey (the lady in question) has threatened to pop up again on the site, although really I think she has done enough damage to her boyfriend and Im actually beginning to feel a little sorry for him.

Finally:

Was Joe Wilcox let go because of the recession? or was it because he allowed free speech about alternatives on Microsoft Watch?

Ill let your readers decide.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Watch closely what Joe does next because it would not surprise me if Microsoft offered him a job like it did with Peter Galli and Peter O’Kelly (former shills).

2. whatever said,

May 2, 2009 at 5:18 am

Neowin is run by children (well, high school and college students), so calling them “reporters” or considering the site an actual tech news site or blog is really inflating what it is: a user forum populated by many, many teenagers and a few scattered adults — most who probably aren’t using legal licenses for MS stuff anyway.

Joe Wilcox is the victim of the economy, the rapid decline of print journalism that is also sneaking into online stuff (see places like Conde Nast, which haven’t been in bankruptcy protection for 3 years like Ziff-Davis, and actually make money, laying off Wired Digital staffers including some full-timers and freelancers at Arstechnica), and the fact that the site network he worked for (eWeek) has a ridiculously low CPM ad-rate, in part because no one visits the site.

Antecdotally, I get at least one offer from eWeek, CIO or one of the other ZD Enterprise properties per week offering me free professional subscriptions. I think I’ve had an auto-renew of some of these free subscriptions since I graduated from college (2006). I’ve even had the fuckwits call me and try to sell me on going to expensive conferences (I’m not sure how they got my number, but then, when I probably signed up for something back in 2004, I probably didn’t expect to get sales calls 5 years later). Wilcox’s former company is on its last legs for a myriad of reasons, and I feel for him losing his job, but I sincerely doubt his column’s content was in any way responsible. I mean, my God, they got rid of the cat mascot/column that had been there from the beginning. ZDE is all but dead.

But back to Neowin — you’re talking about people who either write for free or get paid almost nothing to post — this is not a real newsource or publication. They get leaks because it is a low-risk place for people to leak stuff (no corporate backing that can make it a legal risk or that will question acting as a propaganda arm for Microsoft or anyone else.)

Unlike IDG, where there is at least a theoretical Chinese Wall between editorial and ad sales (I said theoretical), Neowin isn’t getting anything (relatively speaking, they might get some low-level ad rates, but certainly no sponsorship) by being a shill which makes them all that less important. They shill unwittingly, simply appeased by free Microsoft software that any student can get.

3. Goblin said,

May 2, 2009 at 6:35 am

Hi!

Thanks for giving me that info, I found it very interesting.

I didnt have a list of all Neowin reporters so I could only comment about the ones Id had experience with (who did appear to be students)

“this is not a real newsource or publication.”

I think the point I was trying to draw out whilst entertaining and encouraging some of the childish antics, was to show that a site which can appear to an “average user” as being professional and full of experts, can have a few issues when you examine it a little closer.

I dont think the average user would bother looking into details such as these. IMO they will read an article (usually Microsoft related) and take that as fact, if the site looks better than what the “average user” can create I think this adds to the illusion.

I think thats the danger and why we have seen one company run roughshod over the IT scene for so long. That in itself would not be a problem if there were indeed no other packages able to do the same jobs either just as well or better (IMO) and usually at a lower/free cost.

“They shill unwittingly, simply appeased by free Microsoft software that any student can get.”

Agreed (in relation to students), and you also mentioned another correct point in your text when you mentioned about pirate software. I have seen a few Microsoft student users who Twitter the support of MS, who also mention the BT protocol and tracker sites. Seems youre correct there also.

In regards to Joe, I understand that some FOSS users may disagree with me, but I personally found him to be a reporter of impartiality, he may have had a “direction” in which to post given to him by the MS watch “bigwigs” but the fact he allowed free speech, and rather unflattering debate in regards to Microsoft told me he had welcomed the alternative view being on his site.

Joe (IMO) is also a very good writer, I found myself genuinely interested in what he had to say and whilst I may not agree on all his views, he delivered them in an interesting way. It was a shame he had to go.

Thanks again for telling me the above.

Regards
    Goblin.

May 2, 2009 at 7:29 am

I agree that Joe is a good writer. That’s why I read him.

5. Freddie said,

May 2, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I’m not sure I get your point about Neowin… it doesn’t seem to really be run by anyone full time, and in my experience has been no more biased than any other dedicated tech news site. And I’m a Linux user (need to get non-Linux news somewhere).

6. Goblin said,

May 3, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Hello Freddie,

In answer to your question about Neowin, I comment about the reporters. The site is not a person. If the Neowin reporters were all Apple users then I would expect the site to have an Apple bias.

The point I repeatedly made to some of the challenges was that how can someone who presents news and information offer a balanced view when by their own profiles they do not have any real experience of anything other than Microsoft products. That goes for any site.

I think its fair to say most if not all Linux users also have a wealth of experience with Windows systems aswell and that was my point you cannot have an honest held belief in the superiority of any product if you havent tried the alternatives.

It appears (as per the previous poster) that Neowin in particular are mostly students (and for the most part using Microsoft products).

Neowin is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. I did not challenge its reporters because they were some “mega” site (I cannot believe their claim of 300k+ hits a day). I challenged them because one of their reporters implied a unique feature in OpenSUSE that was not available in any other distro whilst at the same time having a CV of interests in Microsoft products (coincidence?). The rest, as they say is history.

BTW if anyone can tell me of these “magic beans” in OpenSUSE Id love to know. Chakkaradeep (the Neowin reporter who implied it never answered)

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Bear in mind that hits don’t mean pageviews. Hits can mean all sorts of things depending on page design. In BN for example, based on Webalizer, we get almost 200,000 hits/day, but that may not be a meaningful measure.

1. Links 5/12/2020: Debian 10.7, ExTiX 20.12, and Sparky 2020.12 Released

2. [Meme] 'Nice' and 'Cool' António Campinos, Now With Extra Sneakers

António 'Fanta' Campinos sporting new 'EPO Sneakers' in these ‘Pandemic Times’; at least he’s being ‘cool’ while staff is confined/sentenced to live in a shoebox, working 24/7 without holidays under constant surveillance in the bedroom

3. A Mister António Campinos 'Joins' IAM 'Media' and IAM 'Magazine' (Symptom of Dying Media)

IAM "Foreword" composed by the EPO; is this journalism or just self-serving propaganda and agenda-steering operations with the veneer of reporting and/or expert advice?

4. Bringing DRM to GNU/Linux to Attract the Stereotypical 'Gamers'

With streaming disservices such as Google's Stadia (GNU/Linux-powered, albeit proprietary and spying) and rental-like disservices such as Steam the situation is further complicated for Software Freedom; what can be done? Gamers aren't 'lamers' and attracting them too would be better than leaving them stranded in Windows.

5. Twitter Will Abandon Older Systems/Geeks on December 15th and Fediverse Rots Away (Pleroma.site and Pleroma.fr Shut Down Without Notice)

The promises of "social control media" are repeatedly being broken; it's time to focus on simpler and more reliable means of communication (journalism cannot fit into short bursts of text with a fancy GUI)

6. [Meme] When a European Patent Office President Was There for Only 2 Years (and Some Staff for Over 40 Years)

The EPO should never have been put at the hands of politicians like António Campinos and Benoît Battistelli (Campinos lacks the experience, but he has the connections)

7. EPO Call for Strike in 2019

Staff of the EPO was fed up and extremely annoyed by the "new" and "nicer" President less than a year after he took Battistelli's chair

8. EPO Management is Lying About the Position of EPO Stakeholders While Compelling Those Stakeholders to Become Accomplices

With the media colluding (cooperating with EPO management, Team UPC etc. and sometimes just because they occupy this media) and with officials (in Germany, EU etc.) not lifting a finger, it doesn't seem like anyone is willing to hold the EPO accountable for illegal behaviour; even the views of people, both inside and outside the Office, are being publicly distorted, sometimes with help from the media and from sites of the patent litigation 'sector'

9. A Closer Look at Richard Stallman's Ousters From Inside the Free Software Foundation (Board)

A devoted reader of Techrights has studied documents submitted by an organisation that claims to speak on behalf of Free software (while its main sponsor is Google and whilst also selling keynote speeches to Microsoft)

10. IRC Proceedings: Friday, December 04, 2020

IRC logs for Friday, December 04, 2020

11. Links 4/12/2020: New Raspberry Pi OS, Tizen OS Dominating TVs, Wine 6.0 RC, Debian 10.7 Ready Later Today, Fedora 33 Elections Concluded, Pacman 6.0 Enters Alpha

12. What's GNEW? GNEW's Nice Efforts Welcomed! (The GNEW Manifesto)

"Dyne.org could be useful," figosdev says. "Denis Roio would be useful. Devuan would not. Dyne.org, it should be noted, was one of the very few organisations that publicly and explicitly defended Stallman when others (like FSFE) attacked."

13. Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) is Not About Freedom

As evidence serves to show, the SFC quit caring about Free-as-in-Freedom-respecting Software a long time ago; it’s about raising money (even from Microsoft) and ‘canceling’ people who actually care about Software Freedom

14. [Meme] Being Occupied by Microsoft Azure and Windows

The persistent lying (led by slogans like "Microsoft loves Linux") only ever comes from media moles of Microsoft, who spent decades attacking GNU/Linux, so we know the real sentiments

15. [Meme] The Master Negotiator

EPO President António Campinos is the opposite of what his father claimed to be, as EPO staff quickly found out

16. What Really Happened Last Year When Workers of the European Patent Office, Europe's Second-Largest Institution, Were About to Go on Strike

The full story of what happened behind the scenes around the time of the call for strike (less than a year after a "new" (recycled) and "better" president had been appointed, perpetuating the same abuses)

17. Censored EPO Publication: Conflict Resolution Unit (CRU) Unspeakable Because Office Management Buries the Facts

Another censored (by EPO management) publication, this time about the cover-up of misconduct

18. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, December 03, 2020

IRC logs for Thursday, December 03, 2020

19. Linux Foundation Trolls Its Critics by Forging Metadata in Its Annual Report (Updated)

The annual report of the so-called 'Linux' Foundation was produced using mythical software (or not)

20. Links 4/12/2020: Mesa 20.3.0, Manjaro 20.2 Nibia and Budgie 10.5.2

21. Censored EPO Publication: Staff Cannot Comment on the Administrative Council's Meetings?

The suppression of speech in Europe’s second-largest institution should be a cautionary tale or loud alarm to the rest of Europe. Corruption and cover-up have reached the point where mentioning the corruption is its own right a ‘crime’.

22. Nobody Needs to Write a Text Editor (or Use Geany)

"If free software really benefits from education, then telling people not to learn more about creating software by working on a simple text editor project makes no sense at all."

23. [Mail] Reader's Comment on 'Fraudlinger'

‘Fraudlinger’ (as our reader calls Margot Fröhlinger) is knowingly lying to Europe, just like the EPO routinely does, both to workers and to the general public/journalists

24. [Meme] European Patent Office Violates European Laws

By violating international and European laws the EPO basically tells us what it’s all about (and it has nothing to do with protecting patent law or any law for that matter, not even the EPC)

25. EPO Management Consciously Breaking European Union Laws: Staff and Stakeholders Subjected to Illegal Tactics and Practices, Now Exam Takers As Well

The EPO routinely breaks privacy laws, knowing that there’s not even an attempt to enforce the law against the EPO’s dictators; we’ve lost count of the instances/number of privacy scandals at the EPO, but we keep adding more to our list

26. 'Social Dialogue' at the EPO Broke Down, Team Campinos is Totally Delusional

Team Campinos is speaking to itself, reaffirming its own decisions, but it's trying to give the impression of consultation with staff; unfortunately for them, staff isn't gullible enough and there's good understanding of the false pretenses

27. The EPO's 2020 Impaired Vision/ViCo: Imposing Illegal Practices on EPO Stakeholders, Not Only on EPO Staff

Corruption is contagious; we now see a growing number of EPO stakeholders speaking out against the outrageous attempts by Office management to impose illegal practices on them; they don't wish to participate in any of this

28. Censored EPO Publication: Evidence That the Censorship of EPO Staff Representation (Central Staff Committee) Started Months After António Campinos Started His Term

Central Staff Committee representatives explained in very clear terms how Team Campinos (soon 2.5 years in the role) was — and still is — censoring representatives in an attempt to keep staff ignorant, misinformed, and afraid

29. Guest Post: Helping Roy Delete Debian at Work and Home

"What we probably don't want to do is continue to support Debian or systemd, if we can help it."

30. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, December 02, 2020