Bonum Certa Men Certa

EPO Exposé: The Besieged Baltic States – Part III – Introducing the Finnish “Facilitator”

Series index:

1. EPO Exposé: The Besieged Baltic States – Part I – More Captured Delegates?
  2. EPO Exposé: The Besieged Baltic States – Part II – Old Wine in New Bottles...
  3. You are here ☞ Introducing the Finnish “Facilitator”

Martti Enajarvi and Bogash (WIPO)
Martti Enäjärvi (centre) in 1992 flanked by WIPO Director-General Arpád Bogash (left) and his predecessor as head of the Finnish PRH, Timo Kivi-Koski (right).

Summary: An enabler of Benoît Battistelli, Martti Enäjärvi, as seen from the eyes of suppressed Finnish journalists

Finland enjoys a reputation as a country blessed with a low level of corruption.

For example, Transparency International's 2017 Corruption Perception Index rated Finland as the third-most-transparent country in the world (after Denmark and New Zealand).

"Finland enjoys a reputation as a country blessed with a low level of corruption."While it is generally accepted that there is little direct corruption in Finland, it is also recognised that there is a significant amount of hidden structural corruption which relies on what the Finns call "hyvä veli-verkosto" or the "good brother" network.

The Finnish "good-brother" network is the Nordic equivalent of the British "old boy" network and it is basically a by-word for cronyism in business and political circles.

"The Finnish "good-brother" network is the Nordic equivalent of the British "old boy" network and it is basically a by-word for cronyism in business and political circles."As we shall see in due course, such networks played a significant role in the career of Martti Enäjärvi, both inside Finland and beyond.

Finnish Picardia: EPO dictatorship? I like!Enäjärvi was at the helm of the Finnish Patents and Registration Office (PRH) for 24 years.

Finland acceded to the European Patent Convention in 1996 so this means that he spent 14 years of his tenure on the Administrative Council of the EPO.

Finland had also joined the EU a year earlier in 1995 and this led to Enäjärvi becoming heavily involved with the EU trademark agency OHIM/EUIPO for many years.

"Finland had also joined the EU a year earlier in 1995 and this led to Enäjärvi becoming heavily involved with the EU trademark agency OHIM/EUIPO for many years."Between 1998 and 2001, he served as deputy Chairman of OHIM's Administrative Board (the equivalent of the EPO's Administrative Council) and between 2004 and 2007 he was the Chairman of the Board.

As we shall see later on, Enäjärvi's retirement from the Finnish PRH didn't end his relationship with the EU trademark agency. As recently as 2018 he was still active as a "Special Advisor" to the executive director of EUIPO, António Campinos.

Enäjärvi's departure from the PRH in 2010 was deemed worthy of a mention in the Annual Report [PDF] of the national patent office in neighbouring Estonia:

There was a change of generations in the National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland. The Director General Martti Enäjärvi, a good friend of Estonia and a steady cooperation partner, retired. Here I would like to express my sincere gratitude for everything he has done for the Estonian Patent Office! We hope that the successful cooperation of almost 20 years will continue. This is our wish.

Martti Enajarvi and PRH
In 2017, the PRH included a tribute to Enäjärvi in a publication celebrating its 75th anniversary.

In a publication [PDF] celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2017, the Finnish PRH also included a short tribute to its former Director-General which reads as follows (in translation):

The lawyer Martti Enäjärvi, followed Timo Kivi-Koski at the helm of the PRH. His career is the longest of any Director General of the PRH, starting in early 1986 and ending with his retirement in August 2010. Martti Enäjärvi came to the PRH from his position as Director of Public Relations at Kymi Strömberg.

He led a reform programme to overhaul the organisation of the PRH, reduce processing times and improve advice and customer service. The agency moved to results-based budgeting, management and governance. Labour productivity increased significantly and customer satisfaction improved. New activities were transferred from the Ministry of Justice to the PRH in the area of associations and foundations.

Mr Enäjärvi was President of the WIPO General Assembly from 1989 to 1991 and Chairman of the Board of the EU's Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM) from 2005 to 2007. He continues to hold a position of trust even after retirement, as a senior advisor to the EU Intellectual Property Office (formerly OHIM).

As you might have guessed already, these official encomia omit the most interesting facts about the career of this elder statesman of the "European IP network".

But with the help of publicly accessible material from Finnish news archives it becomes possible to fill in at least some of the gaps ...

Martti Jaakko Juhani Enäjärvi was born in Helsinki on 14 August 1942. His father was Jaakko Eljas Eklund, a lawyer and senior civil servant who later became a member of the Finnish Supreme Court and served as Chancellor of Justice from 1965 to 1970.

"It's not clear what motivated him to do this, but Eklund is a Swedish name and he may have thought that having a more Finnish sounding name would improve his career prospects in the newly independent Finland."For some reason Jaakko Eklund decided to change the family name to Enäjärvi in 1922. It's not clear what motivated him to do this, but Eklund is a Swedish name and he may have thought that having a more Finnish sounding name would improve his career prospects in the newly independent Finland. Enäjärvi is the name of a lake in the municipality of Vihti, near Helsinki, where Jaakko Eklund was born.

Martti Enäjärvi studied law and after graduation he worked for some time as the Director of Public Relations at Kymi Strömberg. This was an electromechanical manufacturing subsidiary of the Kymmene Corporation, an industrial conglomerate, at that time owned by the Finnish magnate Caisimir Ehrnrooth.

In 1986, Enäjärvi was plucked from obscurity and placed in charge of the PRH by the then Minister for Labour, Urpo Leppänen from the Finnish Rural Party, a predecessor of the contemporary True Finns party.

"In 1986, Enäjärvi was plucked from obscurity and placed in charge of the PRH by the then Minister for Labour, Urpo Leppänen from the Finnish Rural Party, a predecessor of the contemporary True Finns party."Twelve years later, in the autumn of 1998, an anonymous whistle-blower contacted the police in Helsinki to inform them of suspected irregularites in which Enäjärvi was allegedly implicated.

The anonymous whistle-blower also tipped off the crime reporter Harri Nykänen who wrote for the leading Finnish daily newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat (HS).

Harri Nykanen
Investigative journalist Harri Nykänen from the Helsingin Sanomat tried to put the spotlight on Enäjärvi in 1998, but his efforts were obstructed by his bosses.

Nykänen started investigating the allegations against Enäjärvi. By the end of October 1998 [PDF], he had established the background and had written an article about the case for the HS.

The article explained how a rental contract for PRH premises had come under investigation by the Finnish tax authorities.

"...Helsinki Criminal Police had opened a preliminary investigation against Enäjärvi on suspicion of bribery as a public official due to his role in the negotiation of the rental contract."The disputed lease was for more than FIM 250 million with a real estate company Merita Kiinteistöt Oy. Enäjärvi led the lease negotiations on behalf of the PRH and was advised by his friend Martti Jokinen. Merita Kiinteistöt paid Jokinen's company a sum of FIM 240,000 for his assistance and Jokinen did not declare the income to the tax authorities. This led to an official investigation by the Corporate Tax Office.

In a follow-up article published in December 1998 [PDF], Nykänen described how the Helsinki Criminal Police had opened a preliminary investigation against Enäjärvi on suspicion of bribery as a public official due to his role in the negotiation of the rental contract.

Nykänen's attempts to cover the case were frustrated by his bosses at the HS who barred him from reporting on it while the police investigation was in progress.

"But Enäjärvi was now on the public radar and - as we shall see in the next part - he was soon being subjected to renewed scrutiny by the Finnish media."Nykänen gave his account of the affair in an interview with the Finnish student magazine Ylioppilaslehti, published [PDF] in March 2000.

In the end, it seems that Enäjarvi was let off the hook by the public prosecutor because - according to the official story - there was not enough evidence to indicate any wrongdoing on his part.

But Enäjärvi was now on the public radar and - as we shall see in the next part - he was soon being subjected to renewed scrutiny by the Finnish media.

Recent Techrights' Posts

IBM Sends Money to Microsoft
Red Hat basically helps sponsor the company that's a attacking our community
When the Cancer 'Metastasises'
We had a red flag
Attacks on the EPC: Reality and Fiction
EPO leaks

Links 02/03/2024: More Lawsuits Against Microsoft, Facebook Killing Hard-To-Find News
Links for the day
ZDNet (Red Ventures) Works for Microsoft (Redmond), Many Of Its Pages Are Spam/Advertisements Paid for by Microsoft
Here is the "smoking gun"
Wikipedia Demotes CNET Due to Chatbot-Generated Spew as 'Articles'; It Should Do the Same to ZDNet (Also Red Ventures, Also Microsoft Propaganda)
Redmond Ventures?
The Direction WordPress (GPL) Has Taken is an Embarrassment
it comes with strings attached
March in Techrights (EPO Litigation and More)
One theme we'll explore a lot when it comes to GNU/Linux is the extent to which communities truly serve communities
Don't Forget to Also Follow Tux Machines
We've split the material
Yandex Usage Has Surged Since the Invasion of Ukraine, Microsoft Fell to 0.7% (It Was 1.7% Before the 'Bing Chat' Hype Campaign)
In Soviet Russia, Bing searches user
Over at Tux Machines...
GNU/Linux news for the past day
IRC Proceedings: Friday, March 01, 2024
IRC logs for Friday, March 01, 2024
Sellout Completed: Linux Foundation Converging With the Gates Foundation
not a joke
Hitler Rants Parodies on Steve Ballmer
Parody created using clips from Downfall (Der Untergang)
With Windows This Low (27% of the "OS" Market), Steve Ballmer Would Have Thrown Another Chair
The media produced many puff pieces about Nadella at 10 (as CEO), but what has he done for Windows? Nothing.
[Meme] The Naked President
EPO Suffers From Shrinkage
Understanding Cardinal George Pell prosecution, Institutional abuse & Debian cybertorture
Reprinted with permission from Daniel Pocock
Links 01/03/2024: Many More Layoffs, "Funerals" for Software Patents in the US
Links for the day
Gemini Links 01/03/2024: OFFLFIRSOCH 2024 and Dark Streets Tech Demo
Links for the day
Links 01/03/2024: Navalny Funeral and Media Under Attack
Links for the day
Gemini Links 01/03/2024: Making Art and the Concept of Work Management
Links for the day
Schriftleitergesetz: Hiding the Holocaust with censorship
[Meme] His Lips Moved
Here is your national "news" for today
statCounter: GNU/Linux Exceeded 6% in Asia Last Month (Compared to 4% Just 12 Months Earlier)
numbers may be biased
What the End of Journalism Looks Like
All on the same day
Links 01/03/2024: Microsoft 'Retiring' More Services and Raspberry Pi Celebrates 3rd Birthday (Launched on February 29th, 2012)
Links for the day
Women's Empowerment
Sponsored by Bill Gates
Gemini Links 01/03/2024: Speed Bumps and Analog Stuff
Links for the day
[Meme] Those Greedy EPO Examiners
Says the litigation industry, charging 300 euros an hour per attorney
EPO Discriminates Against Families of Its Own Workers, the Union Explains Legal Basis Upon Which It's Likely Illegal and Must be Challenged
To the Council, the EPO boasts about its wealth (seeking to impress by how much breaking the law "pays off")
Over at Tux Machines...
GNU/Linux news for the past day
IRC Proceedings: Thursday, February 29, 2024
IRC logs for Thursday, February 29, 2024
Links 01/03/2024: Misuse of Surveillance Against UK-Based Journalism, EPO Conflict Now in the Media
Links for the day
Taking a Break From Paid Promotion of the Illegal, Unconstitutional Kangaroo Court for Patents (UPC)
JUVE returns to its 'roots'?
FSFE admits losing funds from bequest by insulting and ignoring Fellowship representative
Gemini Links 29/02/2024: Raspberry Pi Incus Cluster and Aya 0.5.0 Coming Soon
Links for the day
Links 29/02/2024: Layoffs at Apple, Expedia, and Electronic Arts
Links for the day
Gemini Links 29/02/2024: Web Enshittification and Firefox user-agents
Links for the day
Spiked Piece/Censoreed Piece: 'Microsoft Copilot is a gimmick', says top CIO
Issues relate to connectivity and cost
Enrico Zini, Mattia Rizzolo, Plagiarism & Debian
[Meme] Clergy of GNU/Linux (Corporations Like IBM)
Volunteers as powerless "followers" of companies that "harvest" their labour
There Will Be Lots More Apple Layoffs (Already Years in the Making)
The corporate media still tries to shape the narrative to prevent panic or delay market hysteria
Latest SUEPO (Staff Union of EPO) Report For The Hague Reveals EPO Does Not Obey Court Orders, Refuses to Allow Workers to Freely Talk to One Another
working in a place where communication itself is restricted
[Meme] The Oppression Will Continue Until EPO 'Quality' Improves
wonder why EPO morale is so low?
Over at Tux Machines...
GNU/Linux news for the past day
IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, February 28, 2024
IRC logs for Wednesday, February 28, 2024
Outreachy, GSoC-mentors & Debian-Private may soon become public records in federal court