Is Microsoft Manufacturing a Case Against Open Source Advocates?

Posted in Europe, Microsoft, SCO at 12:45 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

“If you flee the rules, you will be caught. And it will cost you dearly,”

Neelie Kroes (about Microsoft), February 27th, 2008

The disturbing phenomenon known as “Microsoft Munchkins” was introduced in this Web site before. About 8 months ago, the European Commission it would address this problem and crack down on the culprits.

“A couple of years ago they mass-mailed colleagues, employers, a University President, ISPs and everyone else that can help in gagging me. I am not foolish enough to forget this, and I never will.”There is plenty of evidence to show that Microsoft Munchkins (paid PR people in disguise) continue to operate, to this date. But here I present a personal story, which developed over the past few days. I am adding supporting examples of similar stories that affected other people.

My unpleasant ‘affairs’ with Microsoft Munchkins go a long way back. A couple of years ago they mass-mailed colleagues, employers, a University President, ISPs and everyone else that can help in gagging me. I am not foolish enough to forget this, and I never will. There are many other tactics, including direct intimidation and widely-spread slander. I won’t go into this in depth, but it’s well recorded on the Web (and cannot be removed).

For several months the Microsoft Munchkins have said that my site served malware. They lied, but they spread this lie in many places and repeated the lie (c/f Big Lie).

A few months went by.

Now, someone did a ‘dirty job’, essentially hacking my site last week (the cause remains uncertain for the time being). This happened after many months of extremely high activity, with unsuccessful hacking attempts ranging from common probes around PHP-Nuke to other CMSs. It’s a case of scanning for vulnerabilities. I noticed these attempts, but said nothing in public. Some people refuse to speak about such things, despite inquiries.

<Take with a grain of salt>
The Munchkins, whose history is too telling, noticed last week’s hack almost immediately (within hours and before anybody else, including myself), which is suspicious.

In public, I get accused of knowing about this for months, which is a lie (see the paragraphs above once again). They repeatedly make this lie in various forums (and not just in USENET), then back/mod each other up (pseudo validation/audience). I could go into specifics and produce more evidence to show this. It would be time consuming.

Scott Douglas, a Munchkin, already makes accusations in public, under various pseudonyms. He claims bogus ‘damages’. More libelous claims are made about this having gone on for months, which is a lie easy enough to disprove.

Gary Stewart, another Munchkin who has gone by the name “flatfish” for over a decade (as well as literally hundreds of other pseudonyms), says a case legal is made against me. It’s possibly just an intimidation tactic, which I mentioned yesterday.

To sum up in simple terms the situation described above, I am suggesting that false accusations were made in order to be used later and make a legal case.
</Take with a grain of salt>

Does any of this ring a bell? To me it does.

The above should be taken with a grain of salt, but there is a lot of evidence to show it. Anonymous/pseudonymous characters will soon shout out “paranoia!” to bury or deplete from the messages, but if it’s true, it means that Microsoft is unable to find dirt, so it’s making some ‘dirt’ up. I already have at least one person spying on all my activities (digging up dirt, followed by publication) and it’s somewhat reminiscent of this old report.

Microsoft Critics Assigned PR “Spooks”

San Jose Mercury technology reporter Dan Gilmore recently discovered he’s been assigned a special “owner” at one of Microsoft’s public relations firms, Waggener-Edstrom. These spin-masters are attached to troublesome journalists like Gilmore who have the temerity to write uncomplimentary articles about the company or its products.

The really irksome reporters, according to documents spirited from the Waggener-Edstrom offices, are also assigned “buddies” at Microsoft itself. John Dodge, the editor of PC Week, has a special buddy at Microsoft, and Mary Jo Foley at Smart Reseller, is the subject of a “Mary Jo six month plan.”

These “owners” and “buddies” are just there to “help” the journalists, of course. How dare we think otherwise?

Mary Jo Foley sort of confirmed with me yesterday that Microsoft’s ‘personal treatment’ does exist and I’m appending some references below, including this more recent one about Dan Gilmore.

Microsoft Sends Secret Dossier on Reporter, to Reporter

This also has some shades of the attacks on Groklaw. Remember the MYTHICAL DDOS attacks against sys-con, which sys-con formally confirmed was a LIE? Or other lies about IBM, which had SCO give legal harassment to its opposition (using media placements as manufactured ‘evidence’)? By the way, the ‘spy agent’, Maureen O’Gara, is back at sys-con (mysteriously enough because she was embargoed after misbehavior). She too wrote an article claiming that PJ was “paranoid”. The apple hardly falls far from the tree and the same strategic patterns seem to recur.

To repeat a story that was mentioned quite recently, Tim Bray too was bullied by Microsoft.

Netscape hired me to represent their interests, and when I announced this, controversy ensued. Which is a nice way of saying that Microsoft went berserk; tried unsuccessfully to get me fired as co-editor, and then launched a vicious, deeply personal extended attack in which they tried to destroy my career and took lethal action against a small struggling company because my wife worked there. It was a sideshow of a sideshow of the great campaign to bury Netscape and I’m sure the executives have forgotten; but I haven’t.

Also recall the Massachusetts story, which is broad and utterly shocking once you look closely enough. To repeat some quotes of interest about Microsoft’s fight against CIOs who supported ODF.

As CIO of Massachusetts from February to November last year, Louis Gutierrez had to endure most of the brunt of Microsoft Corp.’s political wrath over a state policy calling for the adoption of the Open Document Format for Office Applications, or ODF — a rival to the software vendor’s Office Open XML file format.

Who could ever forget Peter Quinn?

Quinn: Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and Secretary Galvin’s office remain very heavily influenced by the Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their playbook and words, in my opinion.

Looking at yesterday’s news and considering legal fights (or frivolous lawsuits), we find similar incidents. This one happens to involve not Microsoft but the RIAA. It talks about how Shareaza and open source were essentially bullied by lawyers and an RIAA front. From yesterday:

The hijacking of Shareaza.com is a complex story with many twists and turns. Here is the story of Shareaza from its open source GPL roots, to the hostile takeover and where the project is today, directly from those at the heart of the news – the real Shareaza community. The fight for Shareaza has only just begun.

The French (RIAA) Connection

A Dump for Ill-Gotten Gains

Threats of C&D

As you can imagine, the members of the Shareaza community were rather upset about all of this and set up a new website with user forums. After two users made some offhand remarks about a distributed denial of service attack…

A Tangled Web

Making The Takeover Official

The Danger Posed To Open Source Software

Unless we are able to prevent the trademark being granted and regain control of the domain, our project will die. It really is as simple as that.

Early comments on this story (in addition to the ones appended to the post above):

Lawyers and Fraud

Lawyers and Fraud ( Mar 16, 2008, 19:20:16 )
Lawyers and fraud. Nothing new there.

The courts are all messed up in Europe (and America) and have been since before the fall of Rome. The project may need to rename itself. It won’t be the first one that has had to do that. It wouldn’t be the last one either.

The lawyer claiming trademark in the US might be laying his client open to fraud charges, but you’d need a lot of money to pursue it.

Just another case of ‘Innocent Until Proven Broke’. Standard legal procedure. Happens all the time in the Corporate world.

Also this one:

disgusting ( Mar 16, 2008, 15:15:20 )

Dam Shameful and these are the people that are supposed to be championing Intellectual Property and copyright for the creators and artists, disgusting.

The world is far from perfect and the juridical system is open for misuse. In case Microsoft is trying to frame critics whom it want ‘immobilised’, I decided to post this here in this Web site. Remember Patent TrollTracker?

1. Victor Soliz said,

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 am

I am starting to think these creatures are targeting ubuntu brainstorm, everyone in a while you see a brainstorm that’s utter non-sense “Support MS Silverlight” “Learn from MS’ GetTheFacts to fix Linux technical issues” , etc.

2. Roy Bixler said,

March 17, 2008 at 11:03 am

Unfortunately, the kind of attacks which happened to your Web site are to be expected. The script kiddies regularly launch their scripts which crawl Web sites for known vulnerabilities, so it’s essential to stay up-to-date on patches. So I don’t consider it suspicious in itself that your site got hacked, but of course it *is* suspicious that the “Muchkins” seemed to know about it so soon.

March 17, 2008 at 3:48 pm

See the remarks here, specifically:

“Along similar lines, I spotted the other day one method how Microsoft boosters within GNOME are able to affect Ubuntu: They can camp on bug reports and mark them repeatedly ‘invalid’ that way the report never shows up in any RSS feeds or for that matter any normal or advanced searches. One has to specifically search for invalid bugs to find it and at that level of specificity one probably already has the URL and bug number.”

“My general complaint about Google News falls into the same category. It’s not just a matter of Microsoft gaming the system, pro-ODF or anti-OOXML articles just don’t make it into Google News regardless of the publisher.”

4. Victor Soliz said,

March 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm

I am starting to think these creatures are targeting ubuntu brainstorm

Now I am sure about it.

I spent enough time on brainstorm to notice a pattern. There’s an user name who is always either behind or supporting terrible brainstorm entries. If you find in a random entry you suddenly find a rant about how Linux fails, it is the ‘A’ guy. If you find a brainstorm about how ubuntu must read the whole GetTheFacts page to learn how to do OS correctly, the ‘A’ guy posted it.

If you find a brainstorm about prematurely supporting Silverlight or OOXML, either ‘A’ is the author or a commenter saying “Yes, we need to stop lying to ourselves, we lost!”.

It is ridiculous already, this ‘A’ dude keeps flooding that site, I have decided not to post his whole user name to avoid feeding him.

March 24, 2008 at 12:08 am

Digg definitely has such characters, whose usernames make it clear that they are the same Munchkins from OS/2 days. No wonder the UNIX/Linux section in Digg got pretty much abandoned.

Then there’s Slashdot. I no longer read that site, but E-mails I receive claim that this site is being ‘hijacked’ as well. Paranoia? Maybe when it happens a few times. When it becomes a widespread pattern and people openly admit being shills, that’s a separate thing altogether.

6. twitter said,

August 14, 2008 at 8:09 pm

What happened to Peter Gutmann should be mentioned here. It’s is a lot like yours but worse. Gutmann pointed out that Vista’s DRM would make problems for anyone doing imaging or anything else. As he put it, “that trying to seal shut (portions of) the historically open PC architecture in the name of DRM is technically a really bad idea, and one that’s bound to fail.” For that he was repeatedly pounded by George Ou and Ed Bott of ZDNet using the whole weight of the M$ press. Google for Gutmann ZDNet and you find masses of libel. Here’s how Peter put it:

It all started with an email from George Ou, who decided, without ever hearing my talk on content-protection issues or seeing the slides for the talk, that what I’d said in the slides was wrong. I offered to send them to him, but by then he’d gone ahead and posted his conclusions anyway, still without ever actually having seen the slides that he’s commenting on. Later he changed his story to claim quite emphatically that he wasn’t attacking the slides at all, which seems a bit contradictory since the material wasn’t present anywhere but the slides.
    whenever anyone anywhere posted something that happened to agree with his [Ou's] position, I’d immediately get a gleeful email from him crowing about it. I never even saw the articles, because George would beat me to them every time. It’s as if I had my own personal “news about George Ou” news-clipping service provided for me by ZDNet. He even went so far as to lodge a formal complaint about me with the University,
    posted his initial comments on a blog whose existence I wasn’t even aware of (and therefore had no way of responding to) and then summarily declared victory in a later blog posting based on the fact that I didn’t reply. The only communication I had from him in that time was a long lecture that he sent me about professionalism (!!).
    neither Ed nor George ever bothered contacting me to get the slides that they were attacking or to do any fact-checking whatsoever for the material they were posting to their blogs.

All of that amounts to a very nasty attack on a professional.

August 14, 2008 at 8:33 pm

it seems like Peter got “Slogged”, to use Microsoft’s terminology.

8. twitter said,

October 25, 2008 at 11:02 am

Adding the case of Fred Vogelstein to the list.

While reporting a story on Microsoft’s video blogging initiative – something called Channel 9 – the [5,500 word] dossier that Microsoft and its outside public relations agency Waggener Edstrom keeps on me accidentally ended up in my email inbox.
    It also was strange to see just how many resources are aligned against me when I write a story about Microsoft. … there were close to a dozen other people involved. Some transcribed the interviews I conducted; others kept notes on my every utterance for clues about what questions I might ask next and ultimately what my story would say; others briefed executives with questions I had asked and suggested good answers. Indeed, if you read the memo closely it’s clear that my experience with Microsoft on this story was their end game. For something like six months prior they had been plotting to get Wired to write a story about Channel 9 and had dispatched three executives to meet with editors at the magazine in hopes of setting their hook.

9. bob said,

October 25, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Please don’t confuse hacking with cracking. http://www.stallman.org/articles/on-hacking.html http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/rms-hack.html

10. LandofWind said,

October 25, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Please do not confuse a computer cracker with a computer hacker; they are two distinctly different things.

11. twitter said,

October 28, 2008 at 11:23 pm

adding an attack on TechCrunch:

Dare Obasanjo, a Microsoft employee (apparently this person is the son of the President of Nigeria?) apparently didn’t like my post about Microsoft’s attempt to pay a blogger to make Wikipedia changes on their behalf, so he vandalizes the Wikipedia entry on TechCrunch
    We [recently] dared to disagree with something the Obasanjo had to say over on TechCrunchIT, which he immediately characterized as a personal attack. A few days later- zap! – he finds three posts that aren’t all roses and butterflies and makes a subtle accusation that suggests TechCrunch may be partly to blame for the hysteria in the market right now.

Dare Obasanjo is supposedly a “high profile” M$ blogger. The above looks like typical M$ troll behavior except it was done under a real name rather than a Barkto. The comments section is filled with people standing up to Dare, but that kind of crap flood is common in these situations and may simply be Dare or a WE representative. It’s hard to imagine a ground swell of people defending M$ for any reason these days, much less a ground swell in support of Dare’s vandalism and insanity.
    M$ should repudiate it’s employee for this. They did not think twice about firing an employee who mentioned Apple use at M$ [2]. Dare’s actions are more damaging to what’s left of M$’s reputation than that was.

12. twitter said,

October 28, 2008 at 11:24 pm

“standing up for” not “standing up to” above

13. G. Michaels said,

October 30, 2008 at 1:33 am

The word “devious” does not begin to describe the hypocrisy of this twitter guy and his outrage at whatever evil deeds munchkins, nymshifters and sockpuppets happen to inflict on the world:

But hey, it’s all for a good cause. All dirty tactics and systematic dishonesty are allowed. twitter is one of the good guys. The bad guys are terrorists and must be attacked at all costs, ethic$ and value$ be damned.

Note: writer of this comment adds absolutely nothing but stalking and personal attacks against readers, as documented here.

14. twitter said,

October 30, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Thank you, G. Michaels for adding my own case to this list. Those interested can find more in the Troll Zoo. Now back to business.
    Groklaw mentions the M$ slurring of Matthew Holloway:

an employee at Microsoft recently sent an email to one of the technical bodies advising an NB involved in the OOXML ISO process, smearing a man’s reputation, Matthew Holloway, apparently to undermine his technical input which was critical of OOXML. Standards New Zealand was took the claims so seriously that they responded to parties who received this email.

Via The New Zealand Open Source Society.

15. twitter said,

December 2, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Peter Quinn, who tried to save his state a little money and a lot of troulbe with ODF.

Attacks on a Video Game Reviewer who tried to bring his Xbox with him when he moved.

16. G. Michaels said,

December 2, 2008 at 9:28 pm

The above comment looks like typical FO$$ troll behavior except it was done under a Bartko rather than a real name. Or maybe 14 Bartkos, who knows.

1. When the EPO Liaised With Capone (Literally) to Silence Bloggers, Delete Articles

A dissection of the EPO's current media strategy, which involves not only funneling money into the media but also actively silencing opposing views

2. Blogger Who Wrote About the EPO's Abuses Retires

Bloggers' independent rebuttal capability against a media apparatus that is deep in the EPO's pocket is greatly diminished as Jeremy Phillips suddenly retires

3. Leaked: EPO Award of €880,000 “in Order to Address the Media Presence of the EPO” (Reputation Laundering)

The European Patent Office, a public body, wastes extravagant amounts of money on public relations (for 'damage control', like FIFA's) in an effort to undermine critics, not only among staff (internally) but also among the media (externally)

4. Links 27/11/2015: KDE Plasma 5.5 Plans, Oracle Linux 7.2

5. Documents Needed: Contract or Information About EPO PR/Media Campaign to Mislead the World

Rumour that the EPO spends almost as much as a million US dollars “with some selected press agencies to refurbish the image of the EPO”

6. Guest Post: The EPO, EPC, Unitary Patent and the Money Issue

Remarks on the Unitary Patent (UP) and the lesser-known aspects of the EPO and EPC, where the “real issue is money, about which very little is discussed in public...”

7. Saving the Integrity of the European Patent Office (EPO)

Some timely perspective on what's needed at the European Patent Office, which was detabilised by 'virtue' of making tyrants its official figureheads

8. A Call for Bloggers and Journalists: Did EPO Intimidate and Threaten You Too? Please Speak Out.

An effort to discover just how many people out there have been subjected to censorship and/or self-censorship by EPO aggression against the media

9. European Patent Office (EPO) a “Kingdom Above the EU Countries, a Tyranny With ZERO Accountability”

Criticism of the EPO's thuggish behaviour and endless efforts to crush dissenting voices by all means available, even when these means are in clear violation of international or European laws

10. Links 26/11/2015: The $5 Raspberry Pi Zero, Running Sans Systemd Gets Hard

11. EPO Management Needs to Finally Recognise That It Itself is the Issue, Not the Staff or the Unions

A showing of dissent even from the representatives whom the EPO tightly controls and why the latest union-busting goes a lot further than most people realise

12. Even the EPO Central Staff Committee is Unhappy With EPO Management

The questions asked by the Central Staff Committee shared for the public to see that not only a single union is concerned about the management's behaviour

13. The Broken Window Economics of Patent Trolls Are Already Coming to Europe

The plague which is widely known as patent trolls (non-practicing entities that prey on practicing companies) is being spread to Europe, owing in part to misguided policies and patent maximalists

14. Debunking the EPO's Latest Marketing Nonsense From Les Échos and More on Benoît Battistelli's Nastygram to French Politician

Our detailed remarks about French brainwash from the EPO's media partner (with Benoît Battistelli extensively quoted) and the concerns increasingly raised by French politicians, who urge for national or even continental intervention

15. The Sun King Delusion: The Views of Techrights Are Just a Mirror of EPO Staff Unions

Tackling some emerging spin we have seen coming from Battistelli's private letters -- spin which strives to project the views of Techrights onto staff unions and why it's very hypocritical a form of spin

16. Links 25/11/2015: Webconverger 33.1, Netrunner 17 Released

17. United They Stand: FFPE-EPO Supports Suspended Staff Representatives From SUEPO

An obscure union from the Dutch side of things at the EPO is expressing support for the suspended colleagues from SUEPO (more German than Dutch)

18. Censoring WIPR Article About Censorship by EPO

A testament to how terrified journalists have become when it comes to EPO coverage, to the point of deleting entire paragraphs

19. Censorship at the EPO Escalates: Now We Have Threats to Sue Publishers

Having already blocked Techrights, the EPO's management proceeds to further suppressions of speech, impeding its staff's access to independently-distributed information (neither ordinary staff nor management)

20. Response to Bogus Accusations That EPO Staff Protests Are Really an Attempt to Derail UPC

Common myths about staff protests in the European Patent Office (EPO) debunked, with some additional background and general perspective on recent events, the unitary patent (UPC) and so on

21. New Heise Article Makes It Clear That 'Nazi'-Themed Accusations Against the Suspended Board Judge Were Insufficiently Substantiated

The personal attacks on a judge who was illegally suspended (a so-called 'house ban') increasingly look like the management's own campaign of defamation, mostly intended to marginalise and punish a judge who spoke about serious charges against VP4 (Željko Topić)

22. Links 24/11/2015: Asus Chromebit CS10, Second Linux 4.4 RC

23. European Central Bank Staff Committee Adds to Growing Pressure on Abusive EPO Management

The staff representatives of the European Central Bank E-mail their colleagues -- with European Central Bank managers' approval -- regarding the European Patent Office and its attacks on staff unions

24. Gross Violation of Workers' Rights in EPO: Denial of Christmas Vacation/Leave for Slower Workers

A look at an E-mail from within the EPO which shows how Christmas is used to squeeze staff, urging them to work even faster (despite speed gains) or lose their Christmas leave

25. The Bogus Narrative Floated by EPO Management: Our Judges and Examiners Are Armed and Violent

A look at the union-busting and protest-crushing moves from high-level EPO managers, who are trying to convince politicians that they do so in an effort to stop terrorists and neo-Nazis

26. Support SUEPO or End Up Like They and Some of the Boards Did

SUEPO, the fast-growing staff union of the EPO, increasingly needs the support and protection offered by action and participation from staff

27. NRC Handelsblad (Dutch Evening Newspaper) Speaks About EPO's Refusal to Accept Court Orders From The Hague

Article explains the depths of the issues inside the EPO and the unacceptable immunity that management at the EPO continues to exploit, shaming or discrediting the very notion of the rule of law in Europe

28. HeBS Digital and Black Duck Press Releases Treated Like Articles, Used to Muddy the FOSS Waters

Free/Open Source software (FOSS) is under attack again, and it's the proprietary software lobby that's responsible for that

29. EPO President Battistelli Now Intimidates Even National Delegations

Report about an embarrassing incident implicating Benoît Battistelli and some angry comments cast over the witch-hunting of a judge, using all sorts of questionable tactics

30. A Look at the Latest Gross Deletionism at the EPO's 'Media Partner', French Newspaper Les Échos

The EPO's bogus 'journal of record, which Team Battistelli likes to cite in order to bolster its warped version of events at the EPO while maintaining a close secret relationship with the publisher, keeps censoring its own reporters (spiked paragraphs, silently self-censored or censored after publications)