06.05.09

How Novell Harms GNU/Linux Programming

Posted in GNU/Linux, Microsoft, Mono, Novell, Windows at 8:54 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Monodevelop

Summary: What MonoDevelop — especially for Windows — means to GNU/Linux

EARLIER TODAY we wrote about MonoDevelop coming to Windows. This is not a new problem. Our contributor ushimitsudoki now points to Miguel’s latest blog post, which says: “On Windows for example, MonoDevelop runs on top of the .NET Framework and uses the .NET managed debugger instead of using Mono’s runtime and Mono’s debugger, so there is no dependency on Mono to be installed on the system.

“So basically you’ve got a Windows .NET application that doesn’t even use mono,” writes ushimitsudoki. “Hooray. This is truly a blessing for Linux users everywhere.”

“We would be better off getting the Windows codes hooked in python.”
      –Oiaohm
Oiaohm agrees and further argues that “MonoDevelop is still second rate to Visual Studio [VS] on Windows.”

“Taking into account what my colleague said about VS, that would be pretty bad then,” writes MinceR. Oiaohm added: “VS Express with the right alterations is the same program as Full VS.”

“Exactly,” exclaims ushimitsudoki, who continues: “If I was a windows developer, why the hell would I be using this second-rate s*** anyway? What serious Windows developer isn’t running Visual Studio? and what wanna-be isn’t running VS Express? I’ve never understood that whole “bringing Windows developers over to Linux” line of argument.

“Is there a group out there that cares LESS about Linux than Windows developers?”

“My problem is .NET programmers are more like the VB programmers of old,” Oiaohm adds. “They create a few gems from time to time. But to make them usable you need to port them to a better language. I really don’t see the interest in them. We would be better off getting the Windows codes hooked in python.”

This post is also available in Gemini over at:

gemini://gemini.techrights.org/2009/06/05/monodevelop-windows-monoculture/

1. Yuhong Bao said,

June 5, 2009 at 11:22 am

In fact, I am personally a Windows developer running VS Express.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Microsoft threatens its MVPs to keep it artificially incapable.

2. Yuhong Bao said,

June 5, 2009 at 11:29 am

In fact, what gcc is to Linux, Visual C++ is to Windows.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

gcc is platform independent.

Yuhong Bao Reply:

True, in fact gcc can run on Windows using Cygwin or MinGW. I am talking about which is most common compiler on the platform.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Well, Microsoft broke some laws to bury Borland.

Sabayon User (YGUG) Reply:

Well, Microsoft broke some laws to bury Borland.

Which laws would those be?

Sabayon User (YGUG) Reply:

Your first link shows that Microsoft was recruiting Borland developers. I’m sure the CEO of Borland didn’t like it, and it might be brazen and/or distasteful (depending on your preconceived notions) but that’s not illegal, and has nothing to do with antitrust. What is illegal are agreements between companies not to poach each other’s employees, something the DOJ is currently investigating Apple, Google and Yahoo for, if I remember correctly.

Of course I don’t recall you ever accusing Google of “antitrust” when they poach Microsoft employees.

The second link shows absolutely nothing whatsoever related to antitrust. You probably searched your wiki for the first occurrence of “Borland” and pasted the URL.

Feel free to point out anything I might have missed, or offer some solid evidence to back up your claim. Here it is again:

Well, Microsoft broke some laws to bury Borland.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

No, it’s part of antitrust which relates to deliberately bad documentation and secret APIs. Here is a sample of exhibits:

Yuhong Bao Reply:

On undocumented APIs, also refer to Windows SDKs (both current SDKs and old ones like 3.1 SDKs).

Sabayon User (YGUG) Reply:

Those documents where culled from the Comes lawsuit, which has nothing to do with antitrust. You call them that because you want them to be somehow tied to the actual antitrust action of ’99, but that’s not the case, is it? The “antitrust” bit is just your spin.

After looking at those though, I have to conclude that you’re either confused or deliberately telling half-truths. Since there is no direct mention of Borland anywhere there, or how they might have been affected by whatever perceived wrongdoings you are deriving from those emails, one would have to come to the conclusion that Microsoft somehow hobbled everyone who wrote applications for their platform, partners and competitors alike. Which is interesting, considering Borland – like any number of competitors and partners – has had access to the Windows source code as part of that “look but don’t touch” licensing agreement Microsoft provides (which was the source of the NT4/2000 leak a few years ago). I can go on and on about all the fallacies with your argument: “Microsoft forgot to include two constants in windows.h, therefore Borland was crushed”.

Please be specific and provide factual evidence of Microsoft braking a law (any law) in order to harm Borland. Here’s your claim again:

Well, Microsoft broke some laws to bury Borland.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

You are wrong again. These exhibits appeared in many places, just not always disclosed/unsealed. Netscape was antitrust investigation where Windows APIs did play a role and there is existing antitrust action in Europe. A lot of it revolves around APIs. Borland is one among several victims.

Roy Bixler Reply:

I don’t agree with that. Here is a cite from the San Francisco Chronicle on the settlement of that suit:

The lawsuit claimed Microsoft engaged in illegal monopolization and anticompetitive conduct between 1994 and 2006 that caused customers to pay more for software than they would have if there had been competition.

That sounds very similar to the types of behaviours which anti-trust law addresses.

Sabayon User (YGUG) Reply:

These exhibits appeared in many places, just not always disclosed/unsealed.

You have secret information that supports your arguments?

Netscape was antitrust investigation where Windows APIs did play a role

They did not, except in your mind. United States vs Microsoft was centered around the bundling of IE with Windows. I thought you were aware of this. But please direct me to evidence that supports what you’re saying.

there is existing antitrust action in Europe

Related to formats and protocols. And bundling. But I fail to see how that has anything to do with Borland. Please don’t nitpick like your supporters. Provide factual evidence that Microsoft violated a law, or laws – any laws – in order to harm Borland, Inc. Here’s your claim again:

Well, Microsoft broke some laws to bury Borland.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

You have secret information that supports your arguments?

Open the PDFs. See how they are labeled and classified

See the Netscape section of this petition. Also, for example:

See:

Microsoft even mentions Borland when discussing APIs. Microsoft was found guilty for withholding API information.

Quit wasting time, please. You go by the name “Sabayon User” and all you ever do is troll this Web site.

Yuhong Bao Reply:

Actually, I am not just talking about what is the most common compiler. In fact, Windows themselves was compiled with Visual C++ and Linux themselves was compiled with gcc. Going with the compiler the OS itself is compiled with has some benefits. For example, I use the Debugging Tools for Windows, which was designed to debug the Windows OS, and thus can only read VC symbol formats. Similarly Windows system symbols (I use the MS symbol server to get them) are in VC symbol formats as well. Thus the Borland compiler cannot generate symbols readable by the tools in Debugging Tools for Windows, and the Borland debugger cannot read Windows system symbols.

Sabayon User (YGUG) Reply:

Open the PDFs. See how they are labeled and classified

Sorry, I don’t see how this has any bearing on anything.

See the Netscape section of this petition. Also, for example:

Ah, you don’t really know what an API is, do you? Have you even read all this, or just snipped selective portions from it? You could have quoted the OWL/MFC part of that document about – wonder of wonders – Borland (in part II). The problem is that it would be irrelevant to your claim anyway, because as with everything else in that petition, it’s just the argument from the plaintiffs. None of that is proof, they’re just supporting arguments. Are you familiar with legal proceedings? For example, if I accuse you of libel, I have to rehash every negative word you’ve ever written about anyone, and then a jury has to decide whether or not that is true, assuming it’s found to be relevant to the case. If you’re rooting for the plaintiffs of course all of the supporting arguments will ring true, but that doesn’t mean they are. It’s a lawsuit, not a blog post. But hang on to your horsies…

Microsoft even mentions Borland when discussing APIs

Oh my god, you don’t really even read any of this, do you? Here, I transcribed the relevant part of that PDF for you (I hereby irrevocably release this under the GFDL, so you can add it to your wiki if you want) and added two [notes]:

the apps group [meaning the Office team] does not need access to the [Windows] source. it’s a matter that they have grown accustomed to it. the fact that other companies have been able to product world-class windows products (eg, Borland Quattro pro, Paradox, Lotus Ami Pro 3.0, Freelance, etc) is proof

I mean, really? Do you seriously even read this stuff at all?? Do you realize what things like these do to what’s left of your credibility? And if you did actually read and understand this, and someone else considered it “evidence” that Microsoft was being evil… what does that do to the credibility of the people who selected it as a supporting exhibit in the case?

Quit wasting time, please.

I will ignore your cop-out ad hominem and implication that you have something other to do than tend to your blog, but I will assume that you have no proof of your claims beyond the easily disputable “hit ‘em with the links” confusion you tried to use here. That means tat what you said is, for lack of a better term, nothing more than a lie.

Oh, and I switched to Sabayon a few weeks ago. Highly recommended. The comfort zone and familiarity of Gentoo without the sharp edges. I love it.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I recognise your style now. You’re “Gentoo user”, a Microsoft troll. Nymshifters are not worth attention.

Sabayon User Reply:

I recognise your style now

Was this before or after you made the connection between Sabayon and Gentoo, and the number of people who post comments to your blog as [Distro] Name? From the same IP address and using the same email address? Did the UG tag confuse you? No worries, I removed it.

…you do know what Sabayon Linux is, right?

We’ll ignore your usual mommy-i-want-my-security-blanket cop-out where anyone who doesn’t strike the right note is a full-time Microsoft employee, but

Nymshifters are not worth attention

The irony of you linking to that smear you wrote defending your friend “twitter”, the most famous nymshifter troll on Slashdot, is just slightly beyond incredible. Is “twitter” worth attention? I should think so, considering you quote him on your blog posts. I’ll try to keep up with his two dozen accounts, although I’m afraid I’ll run out of distros before I even come close.

Not everyone knows the twitter story, so here is the usual post. I guess there are nymshifters and then there are nymshifters and trolls, eh Roy?

Well, getting back to topic before you so skillfully shot the messenger (as you’re keen on pointing out again and again is so often done to you), are you going to whip up some evidence that Microsoft broke the law to harm Borland? Here is your claim again:

Well, Microsoft broke some laws to bury Borland.

Otherwise, we’ll consider this conversation finished.

3. Needs Sunlight said,

June 6, 2009 at 11:05 am

“Rival companies, like Borland International and the Lotus Development Corporation, have contended that Microsoft tried to block companies offering other operating systems by using unfair licensing practices and other tactics. Some companies have also said that Microsoft used various dirty tricks, including what the industry calls “vaporware,” to leverage its expansion from MS-DOS into almost every kind of software for desktop computers.”

4. The Mad Hatter said,

June 6, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Roy may not have any “secret” information regarding Microsoft’s monopolistic actions against Independent Software Vendors, but I do. Specifically Microsoft withheld Application Programming Interfaces, and refused to supply pre-release copies of Windows for the developers to work on. I got this from the Chief Technology Officers of a couple of the Independent Software Vendors.

Beyond confirming it happened, I won’t tell you who was involved. These guys depend on Microsoft for their market (Windows OS Computers), and if Microsoft knew who was talking, it would attack them.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Well, Microsoft does give reasons to fear retaliation.

“Microsoft retaliated against industry participants that supported DR-DOS. For example, when Z-Nix Inc. bundled DR-DOS 6.0 and Microsoft Windows 3.1, proclaiming no incompatibilities, Microsoft’s Brad Silverberg wrote: “look what znix is doing! cut those fuckers off.” Within three weeks, Microsoft demanded an audit of Z-Nix’s entire business and then commenced a copyright and trademark infringement action. Z-Nix was forced to file for bankruptcy in or around 1995″

Comes Petition [PDF]

G. Michaels Reply:

Really? What an amazing coincidence! I have secret information that proves BoycottNovell is financially sponsored by RedHat and IBM. I’d love to show it to you, but alas, it’s secret. But it’s True (TM).

I also have secret emails that confirm the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot and Scott Baio. And the location of Jimmy Hofa. Alas again, they’re all very secret so I cannot share them.

I have magic PDFs with REALLY IMPORTANT information written in magic digital ink that disappears when you try to read them. Because they’re secret, you see. Just ask me – I have one for every occasion and topic. They’re very mysterious.

And get this – whenever I talk about my secret information, I make sure I make clever allusions and use ominous language and professional-sounding acronyms and whatnot. That goes a long way towards convincing people that my secret information is in fact real and validates whatever argument I happen to be making at the time. Since it’s secret, right? And I couldn’t possibly show it to anyone. Because it’s secret.

Let me ask you something, “The Mad Hatter”. When you are outside of your comfort zone, you know, like websites where everyone thinks like you, talks like you, has the same belief system and set of values and so on, does this kind of weak babble actually work? I mean, here you get golf claps from the BoycottBoy gallery but elsewhere, can you use it without people simply going into a spasm of uncontrollable laughter? I’m just genuinely curious.

The Mad Hatter Reply:

Comfort Zone? My comfort zone is Washington DC, Sacramento CA, New York, NY, Shanghai PRC, and places like that. I’m a professional salesman, and spend a lot of time in 5 star hotels.

What I said is true. You don’t have to believe it. It makes no difference to me.

Though I have to admit I’d love to check the one you have on Jimmy Hoffa, to see if it matches the cartoon in Mad Magazine which showed his body, in a garbage can, in orbit.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

They try personal attacks. It means you’re on the right topic.

twitter Reply:

M$ is a lost cause, Michaels. There’s nothing secret about Comes vrs M$, it’s public record. Roy has produced dozens of letters from M$ executives behaving badly. The only way to be safe from them is to have nothing to do with them. Industry has learned this the hard way and is moving in the right direction. The public has caught on too.

What’s really funny though, is how you persistently stalk this site and it’s users, then say there is something wrong with people for noticing. There are few better examples of what M$ is all about than G.Michaels. Rot on, dude. Show everyone the real eXPerience.

Yuhong Bao Reply:

I wouldn’t say MS is completely a lost cause, but twitter is right about the rest. The think about having nothing to do with them is IMO particularly interesting because I live near them.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Unless they can find a franchise to replace what’s dying (licensing as a business model), they are a lost cause. They tried advertising (SaaS) and hardware and have thus far failed to evolve.

Yuhong Bao Reply:

So it is more than just the tactics (I think Gates and Ballmer’s tactics are ultimately at fault, but may need to force out more than just Ballmer to reform). In fact, this is, yep, the horrors of artificial scarcity yet again! It is fundamentally flawed and not just for software (see DRM for an example). In fact, do you know why the Free Software Movement was created in the first place? Read the Bill Gates’ open letter to hobbyists for a clue. It was only 8 years after Gates told hobbyists not to copy their software that Stallman started the free software movement that led us to where we are today, which was coincidentally around the time IBM decided to follow the same trend that led to the start of that movement by making it’s own software OCO! Notice the backlash that followed. Later IBM did began embracing open source software as well as open standards like ODF. Yep, where most of us only have to deal with part of the history, IBM have to deal with the entire thing (see Hercules, for example, for why), so it is a good source of info.

Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Yes, they’ll need to sell something of substance (and not force people to buy it, either).

5. The Mad Hatter said,

June 7, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Yeah Roy, and I love it when they get personal. It’s quite hilarious watching them try to argue, because they are so damned bad at it. Gives me a good laugh it does, because they don’t know who and what they are trying to take on. I might be a marshmallow, or I might be a serial killer trolling for victims.

1. Links 21/6/2021: Linux 5.13 RC7, IRC.com by Freenode

2. Virtual Injustice -- Part 13: Let the Games Continue…

"It would be nice to think that the events of 28 May have given the Enlarged Board pause for thought."

3. Links 20/6/2021: Akademy 2021 Underway and Linux Foundation Blasted

4. EPO: Fake Patents, Fake (Paid-for) Patent Coverage, and Fake Awards for Public Relations Purposes

The media has been thoroughly corrupted, patent legitimacy has been severely damaged (far too many European Patents aren't in compliance with the EPC anymore), and Team UPC is trying to undermine the EPC and turn Europe into another Texas

5. Changes in IRC and New Features Over Gemini Protocol or the World Wide Web

We examine more closely some of the latest changes in the site and the capsule (Web and Gemini, respectively); we show that it’s possible to keep abreast of IRC using nothing but a text editor, a Gemini client… or even the command line alone

6. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, June 19, 2021

IRC logs for Saturday, June 19, 2021

7. We Need and Deserve a Saner Patent System in Europe

The laughing stock that the patent system, the patent law firms, and patent media became (over the past few years) must be replaced; at the moment we have a cabal connected to a bunch of criminals running the entire show and the public understandably grows impatient (at least people who are sufficiently informed; the criminals have already intimidated and bribed a lot of the media and they're still bribing more of it, as we shall demonstrate later today)

8. [Meme] IRC Wars in a Nutshell

In terms of large IRC networks, we’re in trouble (unless we self-host) because they seem to be dividing themselves along political lines rather than anything technical or something of an on-topic/relevant substance. Using networks for Free software projects/organisations to push one’s political agenda is not acceptable because it’s starting to seem like in IRC space, FN has become the Front Nationale (French) and LC is Liberal Coalition. Both FreeNode and Libera Chat have managed to turn from technical platforms into political parties, in effect using technical networks (intended for technical projects) to push someone's political agenda and thus misusing them for personal gain. There’s no free lunch. As it turns out, FreeNode’s new owner (Andrew Lee) has just outed himself as a huge Donald Trump supporter who speaks of “these fuckers who stole that shit” (he meant the election, which he insists Trump actually won in 2020).

9. IBM Handles More Removals of Signatures From Its Hate Letter Against Richard Stallman

Less than a day ago IBM processed a request for removal (from its hate letter); as someone put it in a letter to us, also less than a day ago: “When all of this started in 2019, the Red Hat GNU developers showed off their colours. The best way to attack an organisation is from the inside. Using GNU developers was a dead giveaway. Google and Microsoft are very much on the team with IBM. I believe they’ve made headway into the Free/Libre software community and have persuaded senior Debianties to go along with them.” That same message, from an anonymous GNU maintainer, said: “The strategy to target major distributions is clear and present danger. I’m not sure what arguments of persuasion are being used, but I’m pretty sure their main tool is currency. RMS needs a lot of strategic support from experts who will rally to the Free Software cause. He needs great lawyers, some corporate minds, and intelligence specialists.” Sometimes it seems or feels like by simply buying Red Hat (the staff) IBM infiltrated the GNU Project and now it is vainly making claims like 'GNU is IBM' and thus IBM et al can command/tell the FSF who should run FSF, not only GNU. Such entryism isn’t hard to see; “An open letter in support of Richard Matthew Stallman being reinstated by the Free Software Foundation” has meanwhile garnered 6,758 signatures. The opposite letter is only decreasing in support (signatures lost).

10. Links 20/6/2021: Debian GNU/Linux 10.10 “Buster” Released and LF Revisionism Resumes

11. The EPO's Enlarged Board of Appeal Has Already Lost the Case in the Court of Public Opinion

Personal views on the sordid state of the Enlarged Board of Appeal (EBoA), which by extension bodes poorly for the perception of independence in every Board of Appeal (BoA); the patent tribunals have been captured by patent maximalists who either stack the panels or intimidate judges into ruling in a particular way

12. Virtual Injustice -- Part 12: Carl Josefsson – Down But Not Out!

António Campinos still controls Josefsson, who controls all the judges, so in effect all the legal cases (including some about European software patents) are manipulated by the Office the judges are supposed to judge

13. Links 19/6/2021: Wine 6.11 and Proton 6.3-5 RC

14. IRC Proceedings: Friday, June 18, 2021

IRC logs for Friday, June 18, 2021

15. Virtual Injustice -- Part 11: Perceptive Comments and Caustic Criticism

The EPO‘s management managed to silence a lot of the critical media (handouts and threats from Benoît Battistelli and António Campinos), but silencing comments is a lot harder; though we don’t know which ones were moderated out of existence…

16. Links 18/6/2021: Mir 2.4, ActivityWatch 0.11, Microsoft Breaks Its Own Repos

17. [Meme] When the 'Court' Drops

As the EPO sneakily outsourced courts to American companies and parties in dispute depend on their ISP for “access to justice” there’s a catastrophic impact on the very concept of justice or the right to be heard (sometimes you don’t hear anything and/or cannot be heard)

18. The EPO's Virtual Injustice and Virtual ('News') Media

A discussion of this morning's post (part 10 in a series) about the shallow media/blog coverage that followed or accompanied last month's notorious EPO hearing

19. Links 18/6/2021: LibreOffice 7.2 Beta, Elementary OS 6.0 Beta 2, and Linux Mint 20.2 “Uma” Beta

20. The Self-Hosting Song

Cautionary tales about outsourcing one's systems to companies that could not care less about anyone but themselves

21. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, June 17, 2021

IRC logs for Thursday, June 17, 2021

22. [Meme] Swedish Justice

The EPO‘s patent tribunals have been mostly symbolic under the Benoît Battistelli and António Campinos regimes; giving them back their autonomy (and removing those who help Battistelli and Campinos attack their autonomy) is the only way to go now

23. Virtual Injustice -- Part 10: Vapid and Superficial Coverage in the 'IP' Blogosphere

The media has come under attack by Benoît Battistelli; during the term of António Campinos most of the media critical of the EPO has mostly vanished already; so one needs to look carefully at comments and social control media

24. Links 18/6/2021: RasPad 3 and Pushing Rust Into the Linux Kernel

25. Heli Pihlajamaa Promoting Software Patents to Patent Maximalists

"Ms Pyjamas" from the EPO is promoting illegal software patents to a bunch of patent zealots (CIPA)

26. The Lying by Team UPC, Led Again by Kevin Mooney

Team UPC, or specifically Mr. Mooney, lies to the public about the prospects of the UPC; similarly, EPO and EU officials keep bringing up false claims about the UPC, so while the UPC itself has likely died for good the lies have not

27. Links 17/6/2021: Cutelyst 3 and Lenovo Move Towards ThinkPad BIOS Configuration From Within Linux

28. Too Much Noise and/or Distraction and General Loss of Focus (on the Real and Urgent Issues, Such as the Ongoing Anti-FSF 'Coup')

The media is full of Microsoft fluff and technical blog posts still focus on the Freenode fiasco, among other things that don't matter all that much; but we certainly need to talk about steps undertaken to undermine the FSF's power because long-term ramifications may be huge

29. [Meme] The Enlarged Bored People With Presidential Decrees

The laughable state of the EPO‘s EBA (or EBoA) is rarely commented on anymore, not even in so-called ‘IP’ blogs; maybe they’re just so eager to see patents on everything, even European software patents, so tyrants who destroy the courts (with UPC lobbying and removal of EBA independence) don’t bother them so much anymore

30. Response to Misinformation From EPO Officials

Opponents of European software patents are clearly being mischaracterised by EPO officials, who also use meaningless buzzwords to promote such patents; as an aside or footnote that relates to our ongoing series we’re making this quick video, which is days late