11.09.08

Microsoft: Big Offender of Privacy

Posted in Google, Law, Microsoft, Vista 7 at 8:20 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

A couple of days ago we wrote about Hotmail and GNU/Linux. Microsoft seems unwilling to adapt to the Web and also depart from a ‘Microsoft Web’. It’s more interested in Internet abduction [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].

Microsoft also hypocritically accuses Google of not honouring privacy, neglecting to account for its own behaviour which is far worse. As a timely example, here is a new Vista 7 story which spurred plenty of discussion.

Windows 7 Will Let Microsoft Track Your Every Move

[...]

While geo-aware locations are certain a hot item in the software world right now, they’re also at the heart of many ongoing privacy debates. Unfortunately Microsoft’s new feature is exactly the sort of thing that turns people’s mild suspicions into full, raging paranoia.

[...]

That strikes us as a recipe for disaster and something that will eventually blow up in Microsoft’s face (whether justified or not) because geo-tracking is a very sensitive issue and this implementation seems entirely ham-fisted and ill-conceived. Of course it’s a little better than past attempts by the company, which don’t even offer an on/off switch.

But why, for the love of all thing sane, would Microsoft not at least offer to notify you when an app is trying access geo-information? Indeed, that would be a good start. Then add the ability to deny the application access and you’re getting to the useful stage. Unfortunately, Microsoft reps tell CNet that such controls are “not currently on Microsoft’s roadmap for Windows 7.”

Windows already incorporates forensics (e.g. for police enforcement) under the guise — or excuse rather — of indexing and performance. Many of these issues were covered here before, accompanied with evidence. It’s a very broad and separate subject though.

Obeying laws and enforcing them obtrusively is one thing, but sometimes it goes too far. Sent to us last night was the following complaint about Microsoft’s behaviour:

I have an email which I cannot access. It is a free service called Hotmail.

“My lawyer said that I am entitled to compensation because they keep passing my sensitive private information with my address DOB photo around to third parties and now requesting more info from me.”For some reason, if the DOB has been entered incorrectly and needs updating, they REQUEST PERSONAL INFORMATION and they can use [it] to steal one’s identity.

I have sent them hundreds of emails and getting nowhere. I would like to go public to let others know what I am going through and they are in violation of privacy laws. They won’t provide a full contact name nor any contact details. I use the email for work and they simply send automated emails rather than getting off their butts and doing something about it. They say that it is Federal Trade Commission in US, I am not in the US I am in Australia and I have explained to them we do not have Federal Trade Commission and that they are requesting fictitious information. Well, I need my email address with all my work information and wondered if you know how I can go public with this as I feel this may be the only way to get something done about it. My lawyer said that I am entitled to compensation because they keep passing my sensitive private information with my address DOB photo around to third parties and now requesting more info from me.

Any thoughts?

1. Eruaran said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:01 am

Giving personal information to third parties without someone’s consent is indeed a violation of Australian privacy laws.

Take them to court and make them pay.

2. pcolon said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:48 am

First off by using a Microsoft “service”, you’re aiding & abetting a convicted monopolist (convicted in the USA and in EU).

Second; why would you be handing off personal information to a convicted felon?

November 9, 2008 at 2:26 pm

It’s a bit more complicated than that. My ex girlfriend has had the same Hotmail account since before Microsoft bought Hotmail. People’s E-mail addresses are hard to change because of people’s address books.

4. pcolon said,

November 9, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I could understand that, Back when I was doing contract work (travelin SAN architect, I had one E-Mail that was used for any contacts workwise and the other for friends & family. When I changed my address and moved my isp service, they changed my E-Mail account name without any notice. Clients kept telling me what was up with my e-mail? It was a real PIA tracking people and letting them know the new e-mail addr.

5. DOUGman said,

November 9, 2008 at 8:22 pm

“People’s E-mail addresses are hard to change because of people’s address books”….Bollocks, some people are just lazy, I started using Hotmail back in 96′ and just emailed everyone from that account, that if they want to contact me via email, that they have to use my Gmail account for now on.

D.

6. Jose_X said,

November 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Keep the old accounts, but don’t reply using that address or advertise it.

November 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Yes, that’s what I do.

1. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, January 17, 2021

IRC logs for Sunday, January 17, 2021

2. The Oligarchs' Parties Will Never Choose the Side of Software Freedom Because Free Software Cannot Bribe Officials

The tough reality is that next week's (or this coming week's, depending on what Sunday counts as) inauguration ceremony is partly symbolic as all the same and important issues remain largely untouched, for corporations control almost everything of significance

3. COVID-19 Has Actually Helped Software Freedom Due to Financial and 'Spare Time' Factors

Developers and users are increasingly exploring what the Free software world has to offer; this is actually measurable and it contradicts claims to the contrary

4. Future Plans and Using Videos to Complement Text

Remarks on recent and impending site changes; We are not replacing text with video, we're just trying to enhance the presentation a bit, especially where visuals help make a point or where browsing through Web sites (or leaks) is more suitable than static, linear presentation

5. InteLeaks – Part XVIII: Intel Does Not Know How to Properly Do Research and It Seems Apparent Unscientific Methods Are Used to Justify Poor Documentation

There appears to be a severe crisis at Intel; they cannot recruit scientists (or those whom they recruited are walking away) and as a result the company produces bad products with poor documentation (or highly defective chipsets that top-notch marketing cannot compensate for); in this video we walk through some examples of how studies are being conducted (as already noted in Part XVII)

6. Suppressed Facts of the Free Software Movement and Its Community of Volunteers – Part III: The Free Software Foundation (FSF) Seems More Like a Victim of Destabilisation Campaigns

The Free Software Foundation (FSF), which turns 36 later this year, is looking to raise money that helps support the GNU Project, soon 38 years old and likely the most important Free software project to exist (ever)

7. Links 17/1/2021: EasyOS on Raspberry Pi and GNU libsigsegv 2.13

8. InteLeaks – Part XVII: The High Cost of Microsoft Windows Users in GNU/Linux Development Teams

A look inside Intel explains what holds back the technical team, which bemoans the lesser technical people getting in the way and not even using the product that they are writing about

9. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, January 16, 2021

IRC logs for Saturday, January 16, 2021

10. Suppressed Facts of the Free Software Movement and Its Community of Volunteers – Part II: Why Bradley Kuhn Left the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

The founder of the FSF is still at the FSF (albeit not publicly) and the person who lobbied to oust him has basically been 'banished' by the founder

11. Links 16/1/2021: LibreOffice 7.1 Release Candidate, Zeroshell 3.9.5, FreeBSD Report, and GhostBSD 21.01.15

12. Free Speech on the Web Not Respected by Companies That Used to Support Software Freedom

Mozilla does not have to make its Web browser about politics; it can just make an excellent piece of software that is neutral about the Web pages that it renders, based on the user's personal preferences

13. Suppressed Facts of the Free Software Movement and Its Community of Volunteers – Part I: We Are Under Attack by Corporations and Their Salaried Facilitators

The corporate takeover (taking over the Commons, produced by volunteers who are motivated by altruism) is a subject we must speak about and somehow tackle; this series will highlight uncomfortable or difficult truths

14. InteLeaks – Part XVI: Intel Cannot Do Command Line, Even When It's Vastly Simpler and More Suitable for Development

The Developer eXperience (DX) team at Intel seems to be full of Microsoft drones instead of developers and/or mildly technical people; this has not only harmed the quality of documentation but also upset staff, alienating people who actually understand what developers need (more than buzzwords like "DX")

15. IRC Proceedings: Friday, January 15, 2021

IRC logs for Friday, January 15, 2021

16. Links 15/1/2021: KaOS 2021.01, Whisker Menu 2.5.2, Istio 1.8.2

17. InteLeaks – Part XV: Intel is Blind to Blind and Colour-Blind People

Intel does not seem to grasp very basic concepts associated with accessibility; nevertheless, Intel shamelessly tries painting itself as "woke" and a "justice warrior" (policing speech while overlooking much-needed practical work)

18. Links 15/1/2021: GStreamer 1.18.3 and Proton 5.13-5

19. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, January 14, 2021

IRC logs for Thursday, January 14, 2021

20. Links 14/1/2021: Wine 6.0, Debian 11 Freeze, and Alpine Linux 3.13

21. Patent Propaganda and UPC Jingoism Instead of Actual News

Today's so-called 'news' about the EPO (Europe's second-largest institution) and the failed UPC is nothing short of shameless propaganda

22. Links 14/1/2021: Season of KDE 2021 Selection, Mesa 21.0.0-RC1, Tor Browser 10.0.8

23. InteLeaks – Part XIV: Technical Incompetence and Incoherence Leading to Alienation and Brain Drain

The idea that Intel "loves Linux" or "supports Linux" is somewhat of a sham; one needs only to consider what Intel insiders are saying about that, having witnessed it firsthand

24. IRC Proceedings: Wednesday, January 13, 2021

IRC logs for Wednesday, January 13, 2021

25. Links 13/1/2021: $150 RISC-V Computer With GNU/Linux, Intel Replaces CEO Again, and New Fedora 34 Plans

26. Unitary Patent is Dead and Lies About the Unified Patent Court (UPC) Aren't Ending

Not "Russian agents" but concerned European citizens are beginning to see the truth behind the Unified Patent Court, which the 'media' has wrongly called "Unitary Patent Court" three times in 2 days

27. InteLeaks – Part XIII: GNU/Linux Documentation From People Who Never Even Use GNU/Linux

Inside Intel there's a whole bunch of embarrassing secrets about the Developer/Development eXperience ("DX") team; no wonder documentation efforts have been lacking and far too much time wasted putting such documentation together

28. Links 13/1/2021: Mozilla VPN, NeoChat 1.0.1 and Sci-Hub Under Attack

29. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, January 12, 2021

IRC logs for Tuesday, January 12, 2021

30. GNOME Foundation is Still Participating in the Attack on Richard Stallman

GNOME's supposed 'representatives' (close-knit friends with Microsoft connections) continue to attack RMS (Richard Stallman), the founder of GNU (the G in GNOME) and the Free Software Movement