Summary: The crusade against everything Free(dom) is still being waged by the Gartner Group
THE Gartner Group attacks migrations to Free software in Europe (much to Microsoft’s delight) and then also ignores successful migrations to GNU/Linux (lying by omission). Perhaps that’s because Free software is not a client of Gartner, unlike Microsoft [1, 2, 3].
There is more of the same right now and it’s coming from one of their employees (also fueled by a Microsoft MVP). The supposition is posed as a question, being a sign of trolling/provocation. They find some isolated cases to establish a generalisation. IDG did this recently in order to mock the GPL.
The company took advice from analyst firm Gartner on the feasibility of using MySQL and chose open source companies that offer professional services to support their products.
More on the Gartner Group:
- Gartner et al Fixing the Price for the Entire Industry?
- How Jim Allchin, Gartner and Enderle Lied to the Whole World
- IDC, Gartner and Yankee Group’s Latest Press Attack on Customer’s Competitors
- Analyst Firms, Including IDC and Gartner, Named and Shamed for Serving as Microsoft Mouthpieces
- Gartner Group is Banned by Boycott Novell
- Microsoft ‘Bribes’ Mac Bloggers to Slam Apple, Gartner Hosts Google FUD
- Gartner Group Shows Its True Colours — Censors Reporters
“David Smith commented that Gartner will not bash MS if MS chooses to slip Vista.”