07.28.09

Linus Torvalds’ Attitude Towards Free Software is Not News

Posted in Free/Libre Software, GNU/Linux, GPL, Kernel, Microsoft at 3:24 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Reading a newspaper

Summary: Setting the record straight on news that’s not news

SEVERAL years ago, Microsoft was accused of spreading the false rumour that Linux had been derived from Minix. It was a lie, and some people still think it is true.

Microsoft’s loadable module for Linux [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] has demonstrated the strengths of the GPL, but Linus Torvalds continues to disrespect those who made the GPL possible. This is not news. FSF disdain from Torvalds has lasted an eternity, yet some people try to characterise his latest interview with Linux Magazine as some sort of change of heart; it’s not. As I pointed out 3 years ago, Torvalds even had a comment deleted for cursing Richard Stallman in Groklaw.

Regarding Microsoft’s loadable module, Free Software Magazine has just written an article explaining why Torvalds’ attitude is wrong.

Torvalds seemed to express indifference to the submission which he dismissed as only being about device drive code. If he looks at it at all it will be after it has been filtered through others, and even then only out of a sense of “morbid curiosity” apparently. The code is concerned with virtualizing GNU/Linux as a guest in Windows. That tells you a lot about Microsoft’s motives. If clients can’t run GNU/Linux on Hyper-V, Windows’ virtualization software, it makes it more likely that they would migrate to wholly free and open source systems running on wholly free and open systems.

Torvalds does the right thing by accepting Microsoft’s code (he hasn’t a choice), but the dismissal of the vigilant as irrational Microsoft Haters© is very unproductive but also very typical.

“Giving the Linus Torvalds Award to the Free Software Foundation is a bit like giving the Han Solo Award to the Rebel Alliance.”

Richard Stallman

1. eet said,

July 28, 2009 at 5:17 am

BTW, were you the one who asked Hubert Figuiere ‘Why did you write Gnote?’

Well, you can read his answer now on his blog: http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/?2009/07/27/680-why-i-did-write-gnote

Some quotes:
    [blockquote]I wrote Gnote to answer two questions:

- How can I have Tomboy functionality on my custom openSUSE image I made for my EEE PC, that will fit the 2GB?
    - Is it easy to port a C# application to C++?

For the rest, you all know what happened: the anti-Mono crowd took it as their victory, started FUDing, etc. Barely nobody asked me why I had written that code, compared to the many that actually thought I was supporting their cause.

And if you still think I hate Mono think again. I worked for the company that pushes Mono (and still wish I was)[/blockquote]

To summ it up: Looks like he won’t be mis-used as a figurehead for your dubious cause. Hubert Figuiere is a pragmatist; like Linus; like the overwhelming majority of developers, who happen to be level-headed. Unlike certain ideologists who instead of writing software only tell others what software not to use.

Jose_X Reply:

eet, I think I’m a little cranky today. Don’t mind the tone below.

>> I’m all with Linus on this one. After all I (and you) am running HIS system on my computers, not R. Stallman’s.

If by “his” you mean code over which he owns the copyrights, then I think the Linux I am running has less than 1/10 of 1% that belongs to Linus. [I pulled that number from the air, but keep in mind that would be about 1/1000th. I assume source code lines out of the total. It's an imperfect metric.]

I’m not attacking Linus. I’m speaking for the many that are less in the spotlight than he is.

>> BTW, were you the one who asked Hubert Figuiere ‘Why did you write Gnote?’

The very day of the announcement (or soon thereafter), he had closed discussion on the article quickly, I believe, to keep the anti-mono noise out. [I don't have the link handy]

Since then, I read him (at least once if not twice) commenting in other blogs also with a tone of sympathy towards mono.

I would not be surprised if he is or was under NDA because his remarks appear to be of one that wants to say more than he is saying. [Obviously, I'm just guessing.]

And, changing to C++ likely does not change many important parts of the structure of the app, which means you still can have many significant patent issues. See: http://boycottnovell.com/2009/02/04/the-api-trap-part-1/ .

His “proof of concept” effectively provides some “excuses” to remain with mono.

None of this is news.

>> Unlike certain ideologists who instead of writing software only tell others what software not to use.

The FSF has many developer-contributors. There are many people (even Linux kernel contributors) using the GPLv3 (or at least GPLv2 or later) and disliking Microsoft.

There are people not contributing source code who want to help preserve the system in other ways and believe they are helping by speaking of the threats mono poses.

Maybe the money Ballmer/Gates make is indicative of what one can make when you get aggressive about threats.

zatoichi Reply:

That’s not “guessing”, Jose, that’s “reaching”.

Jose, Hub’s writing in his own blog. With regard to whom could he possibly be under NDA?

eet Reply:

eet, what software has Ballmer or Gates written lately?

As much as Richard Stallmann, I would say. These three are managers and PR-people; just the kind of unconstructive people without whose ‘contributions’ I could live perfectly fine.

About Hubert, Lefty has already said it all.

2. Needs Sunlight said,

July 28, 2009 at 7:53 am

“Really, I’m not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.”
    - Linus Torvalds

eet Reply:

How much better this sounds than the preachy stance of RMS, doesn’t it.

3. zatoichi said,

July 28, 2009 at 8:29 am

Linus Torvalds continues to disrespect those who made the GPL possible.

This is preposterous, Roy, based on the latest interview with Linus, unless you consider the folks on this site, for example, to be “those who made the GPL possible”. I’d like to see the reasoning behind this statement.

4. zatoichi said,

July 28, 2009 at 8:34 am

…what software has Ballmer or Gates written lately?

What software have you written lately, Jose?

(And since I can’t get an answer out of Roy as to whether he “supports the FSF”—leading me to believe the answer is “no”—do you support the FSF, Jose? if so, how? If not, why not?

5. Jose_X said,

July 28, 2009 at 11:12 am

[eet] >> That’s not helping. If it really was about legal risks, you would leave it to the lawyers; this is about Microsoft-hatred and paranoia, nothing else.

Lawyers interpret under the context of law and usually not business strategy or engineering. “Everyone” has access to lawyers, yet many groups come to different conclusions over risks and strategy after consulting their lawyers.

[zatoichi] >> With regard to whom could he possibly be under NDA?

I explained why I considered he might be under NDA. It was a thought. And I did say is or was.

[eet said] >> like the overwhelming majority of developers, who happen to be level-headed. Unlike certain ideologists who instead of writing software only tell others what software not to use.

[I said] >> eet, what software has Ballmer or Gates written lately? You should be on their case for speaking bad about Linux, the GPL, and competitors writing lots of code, etc.

[zatoichi replied] >> What software have you written lately, Jose?

David, you do see the goose/gander connection, right? If people that don’t write software should not be giving advice on software use (as I think eet suggested), then this would apply to Ballmer and Gates as well. Given how much advice and opinions they have given in the past, I would think eet should be hot and heavy on their trail.

I don’t write software frequently. Hope to start that back up in earnest. However, I did write not long ago javascript (tested on firefox only) that took stock brokerage trades in various formats (from various online brokerage firms) and produced a nicely formatted 1040 Schedule D-1. This was created for my needs, so it is missing functionality and generality. It also involved some manual cut-n-paste to get things going.

Whenever/if I get back to that, I would like to clean it up and see what format I’ll convert it to so that other people can use it.

Anyway, you might be making a similar error as eet if you are insinuating that those that don’t write software can’t provide useful opinions or advice.

For example, lawyers don’t usually write software.

6. eet said,

July 28, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Since when do we take the propaganda from Ballmer or Gates as advice in the Linux camp?

No; no, this doesn’t apply. We were talking about who to listen to, and Ballmers and Gates, I THINK, we can rule out…

7. zatoichi said,

July 28, 2009 at 4:09 pm

As surprising as you might find this, I don’t actually take advice from Messrs. Ballmer and Gates on software use. I don’t think too many people take them all that seriously when they talk about the GPL, and—having agreed that there’s nothing wrong with the GPL, after all, and that it’s the right license to use when submitting code to the kernel—they’ll look pretty darned silly if they try to talk smack about it in the future, won’t they?

It’s a free country and people can talk about whatever they like, Jose. But if it’s wrong for ideologists like Ballmer and Gates to tell people what software not to use, then it’s equally wrong for ideologists on the free software side—and even more wrong if you’re serious about “freedom”, since that has to include other people’s freedom to do think you don’t happen to enjoy—to tell people what software not to use.

1. Links 24/5/2019: PostgreSQL 12 Beta 1 and Rust 1.35 Released

2. EPO Strikes Further Diminish Chances of UPC Ever Materialising (in Any Shape or Form)

The EPO crumbles under the weight of its own corruption while an increasingly-insane Team UPC pretends all remains normal and a patent trolls-friendly system is ready to take off

3. EPO Allegedly Becoming Insolvent (Pretext for Cuts), So Staff Gets Punished While Management Takes the Jackpot

The corporate 'logic' at the EPO follows the "shareholders' value" propaganda line as if the EPO is a private company looking to maximise revenue rather than serve the public

4. EPO President Still Not Obeying Courts' Rulings

Federation of International Civil Service Associations (FICSA) sent a message to António Campinos yesterday (the same day SUEPO publicly made a call for strike)

5. António Campinos Has Run Out of Time and EPO Staff is Going on Strike (Skipping Mere Protests)

European Patent Office strikes are to resume; as SUEPO recently put it, people have come to accept that EPO leadership has not really changed and none of the underlying issues is being tackled

6. Links 23/5/2019: Elisa 0.4.0, OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Released

7. Links 22/5/2019: Mesa 19.0.5, Huawei and GNU/Linux, Curl 7.65.0, End of Antergos, Tails 3.14, ownCloud Server 10.2, Firefox 67.0

8. Quality of Patents is Going Down the Drain and Courts Have Certainly Noticed

Uncertainty or lack of confidence in the patent system has reached appalling levels because heads of patent offices are just striving to grant as many patents as possible, irrespective of the underlying law

9. EUIPO and EPO Abuses Growingly Inseparable

'Musical chairs' at CEIPI and the EPO/EUIPO (Battistelli, Archambeau, Campinos) as well as joint reports never fail to reveal the extent to which EPO abuses are spreading

10. Links 21/5/2019: China's GAFAM Exit, DragonFlyBSD 5.4.3

11. Links 20/5/2019: Linux 5.2 RC1, LibreOffice 6.3 Alpha, DXVK 1.2.1, Bison 3.4 Released

12. South Korea's Government Will Show If Microsoft Loves Linux or Just Attacks It Very Viciously Like It Did in Munich

Microsoft's hatred of all things GNU/Linux is always put to the test when someone 'dares' use it outside Microsoft's control and cash cows (e.g. Azure and Vista 10/WSL); will Microsoft combat its longstanding urge to corrupt or oust officials with the courage to say "no" to Microsoft?

13. Links 19/5/2019: KDE Applications 19.04.1 in FlatHub and GNU/Linux Adoption

14. The War on Patent Quality

A look at the EPO's reluctance to admit errors and resistance to the EPC, which is its very founding document

15. Watchtroll, Composed by Patent Trolls, Calls the American Patent System “Corrupt”

Another very fine piece from Watchtroll comes from very fine patent trolls who cheer for Donald Trump as if he's the one who tackles corruption rather than spreading it

16. Unified Patent Court Won't Happen Just Because the Litigation Microcosm Wants It

Unified Patent Court (UPC) hopefuls are quote-mining and cherry-picking to manufacture the false impression that the UPC is just around the corner when in reality the UPC is pretty much dead (but not buried yet)

17. Links 17/5/2019: South Korea's GNU/Linux Pivot, Linux 5.1.3

18. Q2 Midterm Weather Forecast for EPOnia, Part 4: Happy Birthday to the Kötter Group?

This year the Kötter Group commemorates the 85th anniversary of its existence. But is it really a cause for celebration or would a less self-congratulatory approach be more fitting? And does it create the risk that a routine tendering exercise at the EPO will turn into Operation Charlie Foxtrot?

19. Links 16/5/2019: Cockpit 194, VMware Acquires Bitnami, Another Wine Announcement and Krita 4.2.0 Beta

20. The EPO's Key Function -- Like the UPC's Vision -- Has Virtually Collapsed

The EPO no longer issues good patents and staff is extremely unhappy; but the Office tries to create an alternate (false) reality and issues intentionally misleading statements

21. Stanford's NPE Litigation Database Makes a Nice Addition in the Fight Against Software Patent Trolls

As the United States of America becomes less trolls- and software patents-friendly (often conflated with plaintiff (un)friendliness) it's important to have accurate data which documents the numbers and motivates better policy; The NPE (troll) Litigation Database is a move towards that and it's free to access/use

22. Q2 Midterm Weather Forecast for EPOnia, Part 3: “Ein kritikwürdiges Unternehmen”

A brief account of some further controversies in which the Kötter Group has been involved and its strained relations with German trade unions such as Verdi

23. EPO Had a Leakage Problem and Privacy of Stakeholders Was Compromised, Affecting at Least 100 Cases

The confidentiality principle was compromised at the EPO and stakeholders weren't told about it (there was a coverup)

24. Links 15/5/2019: More Linux Patches and More Known Intel Bugs

25. False Hope for Patent Maximalists and Litigation Zealots

Patent litigation predators in the United States, along with Team UPC in Europe, are trying to manufacture optimistic predictions; a quick and rather shallow critical analysis reveals their lies and distortions

26. The Race to the Bottom of Patent Quality at the EPO

The EPO has become more like a rubber-stamper than a patent office — a fact that worries senior staff who witnessed this gradual and troublesome transition (from quality to raw quantity)

27. Q2 Midterm Weather Forecast for EPOnia, Part 2: Meet the Kötters

An introduction to the Kötter Group, the private security conglomerate which is lined up for the award of a juicy EUR 30 million contract for the provision of security services at the EPO

28. Links 14/5/2019: Red Hat Satellite 6.5, NVIDIA 430.14 Linux Driver and New Security Bug (MDS)

29. Links 14/5/2019: GNU/Linux in Kerala, DXVK 1.2, KDE Frameworks 5.58.0 Released

30. Q2 Midterm Weather Forecast for EPOnia, Part 1: Urgent Shitstorm Alert

Experts at the European Patent Office's (EPO) weather observation station have just issued an urgent alert warning about a major shitstorm looming on the horizon