02.24.09

Novell Enables Microsoft Distributions

Posted in GNU/Linux, Microsoft, Mono, Novell at 6:14 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

MIGUEL de Icaza is gloating over something called CoyoteLinux, which has been obscure. He claims that it chose Mono for administration tools.

Interesting find: Coyote Linux -a firewall in a box- configuration of Linux is using Mono and ASP.NET for its admin tools.

While de Icaza wants to portray this as an example of developers choosing Mono, it’s important to understand why such choices are made. Here is a post from the person behind this project, who already has an interest in Windows. He writes: “I am currently working to get a test cluster online using Windows 2008 Datacenter x64 with SQL2005 Enterprise x64.”

It seems safe to suggest that many of those who choose Mono tend to favour Microsoft technologies in general and to begin with. “Also, it’s tied to MSVC, which is definitely not FOSS,” points out Balrog.

This is not a safe route to take.

What Novell does with Mono was explained by Charles Hixson yesterday. To quote a portion:

So the Novell agreement with MS didn’t offer the community ANY protection. They just pretended that it did. That was the foundation of my distrust of Novell. It also allowed Novell to slip MS technologies into it’s code without danger to itself (as long as it adhered to certain practices…unless the secret parts meant that it didn’t even need to do that). So the only people in danger were the ones who used Novell systems to build their code. Or otherwise adopted the MS technologies which Novell suddenly started pushing more actively.

There is a safe to test to apply whenever Mono is chosen; Is it chosen for merits, for familiarity (existing habits) or for tendencies going in Microsoft's favour?

Nomo

1. Victor Soliz said,

February 24, 2009 at 10:59 am

The guy needs Visual Studio 2008 to deploy Linux apps sounds like Icaza’s and MS’ joint dream come true.

2. HH said,

February 24, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Another propaganda from this guy…

Get a life man, I mean it.

3. Needs Sunlight said,

February 25, 2009 at 3:43 am

@HH: de Icaza hasn’t gotten a life during the last decade, he’s not about to suddenly go out and get one now. Really the bes thing he could do now, is just withdraw from computing all together.

4. Joshua Jackson said,

February 25, 2009 at 5:19 am

I don’t need VS2008 to deploy Linux apps. If you take the time to read over my initial comments or look over the past history of Coyote Linux (which goes back to 1998), I have always supported a mixed environment for both my development and the software I offer.

Coyote Linux, which has well in excess of 2 million downloads, has from day one included support for both Windows and Linux for the purposes of setting up the Linux system.

My reasons for using Mono are detailed here: http://coyotelinux.com/2009/01/coyote-linux-design-philosophies/

I am using mono because I work in, develop for and support multi OS environments. Take Windows out of my day to day life and I couldn’t pay my bills… and, no, I don’t lose any sleep over it.

One item not mentioned in the blog post is that I have always used a cross platform language as part of my development process. Prior to Coyote Linux 4, my development efforts have always included Delphi / Object Pascal and PHP. Delphi was used for both the Windows configuration utilities and was used to create binaries for Linux. I initially used Borland Kylix, but when they dropped support for the product, I went searching for another cross-platform option. I settled on C#. Like it or not, that is what I prefer to code in and provides me with RAD (rapid application development) that works for both Linux and Windows.

I manage several Linux and Windows based servers. When properly managed, both OS’s prove to be very reliable and perform very well for the tasks I choose them for. The fact that people can’t or are too lazy to take the time to learn how to manage and maintain the equipment they are using does not deter me from using something myself.

I am a Linux distro author, but I am not a zealot. If someone doesn’t like my choice of development tools, languages, etc – that’s their opinion and they are entitled to it. I am not insisting that anyone use the tools I develop. Most of these tools are actually developed for my company’s use – I release them for others to use. 10 years, a couple million downloads, and 40,000 forums posts later, there must be at least a few people out there that don’t mind my development choices.

February 25, 2009 at 5:39 pm

C# is also on the rise as far as market share and other areas of growth go, it’s already surpassed Java (which is on the decline):

1. Benoît Battistelli in 2015: EPO is Ready to Start Unified Patent Court (UPC), Expect UPC in 2016

We’re almost in 2023 and UPC is being delayed again; this is what EPO President Benoît Battistelli said way back in 2015 (official video from the EPO; 3:45-4:34 cropped apart)

2. IRC Proceedings: Monday, December 05, 2022

IRC logs for Monday, December 05, 2022

3. Links 06/12/2022: FreeBSD 12.4 and Inkscape 1.2.2

4. Sirius Not-So-‘Open Source’: Cannot Talk to Colleagues, Cannot Speak About Work

Cover-up and lies became a corporate pattern at the company where I had worked since 2011; it was time to go in order to avoid cooperation in unethical activities

5. [Meme] Guilt by Association

Sirius ‘Open Source’ has a history of hostility towards people with disabilities; the company got sued over this, but kept the lawsuit secret

6. That Time Sirius 'Open Source' Fired a Blind Lady While Gagging Sympathetic Staff

Sirius 'Open Source' was taken to court after it had wrongly fired a couple of employees, one of whom was blind; this was accompanied by lies about why the staff's communication server was shut down

7. Links 05/12/2022: Gnoppix Linux 22.12 and Armbian 22.11

8. Unified Patent Court (UPC) is “Real Soon Now!” Since 2014

The Unified Patent Court (UPC) lobby is once again forced to admit issues and delays; we've seen this time and time again for nearly a decade already

9. Unified Patent Court (UPC) 'Delayed' Again, As Usual, as Unitary Patent Boosters Caught Up in Lies and Scandals

“UPC [is] delayed by 2 months,” a source has told us, dubbing it “good news” and reaffirming what we’ve said this past year; this litigation lobby's 'wishlist' system isn’t legal, it’s not ready, there are yet more scandals, and journalists have been catching up with these scandals

10. Links 05/12/2022: GStreamer 1.21.3

11. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, December 04, 2022

IRC logs for Sunday, December 04, 2022

12. Links 04/12/2022: Status of the 15-Minute Bug Initiative

13. When a Company Simply Refuses to Talk to Technical and Exerienced Staff Through Internal Avenues

When companies behave like monarchies where staff has no role at all in decision-making and decisions are made in violation of those companies’ tenets (or mission statements) it is inevitable that staff will issue concerns, first internally and — failing that — in other channels

14. [Meme] Kings Instead of Open Consultation Among Peers

In Sirius there’s no room for debate, even among half a dozen or so technical colleagues; decisions are made in the dark by a tightly-knit cabal (with rather childish superhero cartoons as their avatars) and then imposed on everybody else (hardly democratic, not sane)

15. Sirius Open Source: The Home of Stress and Bullying by Management

Part 3 of a report regarding Sirius Open Source, which is imploding after bad judgement and misuse of power against employees

16. Links 04/12/2022: Fosshost Shudown and OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10

17. Links 03/12/2022: pgAdmin 4 Version 6.17

18. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, December 03, 2022

IRC logs for Saturday, December 03, 2022

19. Office Manager in Company Without an Office

Imagine having an “Office Manager” in a company that does not even have an office. Welcome to corporate posturing.

20. Dishonest Companies Disguised as 'Open Source' (After Abandoning It)

A deeper look at the way Sirius Open Source presents itself to the public (including prospective and existing clients); This is clearly not the company that I joined nearly 12 years ago

21. When the Founder of Your Company Supports Donald Trump the Company Ends up Active in Fascist Platforms

Politics weren’t allowed in Sirius ‘Open Source’, but there were exceptions for some people (close to management) and it didn’t look good

22. [Meme] Sirius Actually Used to Promote Free/Libre and Open Source Software

Before people who reject Free/Libre and Open Source software were put in charge of Sirius ‘Open Source’ concrete steps had been taken to support the wider community (or the suppliers, who were mostly volunteers)

23. Sirius 'Open Source' When It Actually Understood and Respected Software Freedom

The company my wife and I joined was (at the time) still Free software-centric and reasonably friendly towards staff; today we examine Sirius of a decade ago

24. Links 03/12/2022: 4MLinux 41, GNOME E-mail System Melting Down

25. Links 03/12/2022: KDE Report and Canonical Lying to Staff

26. Sirius 'Open Source' Lists 49 Firms/Organisations as Clients But Only 4 of Them Currently Are

Sirius Open Source is nowhere as popular as it wants people to think

27. Sirius 'Open Source' Lists 15 People as Staff, But Only 6 Work in the Company

Sirius Open Source is nowhere as big as it wants people to believe (like it is a trans-Atlantic thriving firm, the “Sirius Group”)

28. Storm Brewing Over the Future and Nature of the Internet

Subsidies for Web giants (and shareholders of such giants) will run out; what will happen to the Internet when this inevitably happens?

29. IRC Proceedings: Friday, December 02, 2022

IRC logs for Friday, December 02, 2022

30. 10 Good Things That Happened in 2022

In the technical domain, 2022 saw some positive developments, especially from the perspective of Freedom-centric and environmentalist folks