05.14.07

The Trust Problem with Novell (Corrected)

Posted in Novell, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Videos at 1:42 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

One challenge which Novell is yet to tackle is the loss of trust. This loss might be irreversible. While some people are standing behind Novell’s decision, many others are not. One of them used to be very pro-SUSE blogger, but he moved to Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Now he explores Opensuse again, but in his latest blog item he explains his reasons for making the switch.

Do I still feel ‘betrayed’ by Novell? Maybe betrayed is too bombastic a word, but I certainly don’t feel comfortable using Novell. I’ve got a constant eye on Novell and its behavior as well as the advances of other distributions. I have no great love for current Novell and I will certainly try this again when the next releases of Fedora and Ubuntu hit the streets. Microsoft is too close to Novell and I don’t trust Microsoft.

After last night’s shocker, can anyone blame him?

I could not help noticing that Francis Giannaros, who persistently defends Novell in our blog, has left a comment there already. I cannot help but wonder if he does some ‘leg work’ for SUSE. Call me a paranoid if you wish, but over time I have got an eye for these things (consider OOXML as a very recent example).

You can no longer trust anything you read. I am aware of people who get paid for PR charades and placements in the media. Needless to say, they have been caught before. Groklaw had some of them named and shamed. Disclosure is the key here and I am by no means suggesting that Francis is in some way affiliated — directly or indirectly — with Novell. Let us just keep our eyes open and learn from the past.

Another challenge Novell will be facing is restoration of confidence, image, and respect. Based on the following video, Novell if losing its respect. “Farce” is the word used to describe its kernel bootcamp. (see corrections in the comments)

For context, here are a couple of videos (parts I & II) about Novell’s bootcamp (mind the corrections in the comments section). Judge these for yourselves, but to me they seem rather juvenile.

If you know a method for making these streams available in an open and free format, please holler. At least one person was upset by the inclusion of embedded flash objects. Perhaps a trivial solution to this exists.

1. akf said,

May 14, 2007 at 3:19 am

> if you know a method for making these streams available in an open and free format, please holler. At least one person was upset by the inclusion of embedded flash objects. Perhaps a trivial solution to this exists.

I wasn’t “upset”. I just asked for it.

I tried ffmpeg2theora, but I had no success. But that’s the tool, which is most promising. — Perhaps it works with another step between it.

If you have a Windows machine available (I really haven’t) maybe the following text may help you:

May 14, 2007 at 3:49 am

I can almost swear that I saw a download option in GooTube, but maybe it was just Google Video. I just can’t seem to find it anywhere. Yesterday, for example, I tried to find something that would suit you better.

“Upset” was probably my poor choice of words.

3. Lars Marowsky-Brée said,

May 14, 2007 at 6:39 am

Note that the Novell Boot Camp is something else entirely than the Kernel Boot Camp we organized, which was an internal training session only; they are completely unrelated.

Some information about the Kernel Boot Camp can be found if you follow the link from this comment.

4. Lars Marowsky-Brée said,

May 14, 2007 at 6:43 am

Oh, and note further that John only refered to a single session not meeting his expectations content-wise. I won’t go into details, as that would be impolite. But for a week packed with trainings, that’s very good.

May 14, 2007 at 7:05 am

Lars, I hope it wasn’t impolite to mention this and yes, I am aware that the guy in the video was referring to a single session/day. I did not know that the ‘bootcamps’ were separate altogether. I never knew about them at all, until very recently.

In any event, let the readers judge these for themselves. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the videos.

Best wishes.

6. Francis Giannaros said,

May 14, 2007 at 9:01 am

> I could not help noticing that Francis Giannaros, who persistently defends Novell in our blog, has left a comment there already. I cannot help but wonder if he does some ‘leg work’ for SUSE.

This Conspiracism is getting to the point where it’s really just creeping to Paranoid Personality Disorder (specifically, where it’s persecutory paranoia), which is serious enough. Just take a look at your next statement: “You can no longer trust anything you read”.

It’s not like I’m anonymous and you don’t have any information on me; I’m also not the only one, just one of the only ones posting here. We did have #opensuse-fud open at the original time nearer the deal, and it was closed for some time, but we’ve opened it up again now, so feel free to join us in there for discussions.

I post on this site quite a bit because I’ve got it in my feed now. I knew of its existence before, but /. comments, and a few in ##linux actually suggested that they take all the headlines on here to be completely true (without doing research), so I thought I’d provide another perspective for people. If there is a problem with that, please let me know though.

7. Marcus Meissner said,

May 14, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Perhaps you should edit the article after Lars comments?

Ciao, Marcus

May 14, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Marcus, thanks for suggesting this. I hope you find the changes satisfactory.

1. 'Ethical Source' is Not Ethical and Not a Movement But a Misguided Self-Serving PR Stunt

Something which is neither enforceable nor ethical is being promoted by profoundly unethical media in the pockets of large corporations

2. InteLeaks – Part XXI: Intel Seeking Advice From a Bunch of Clowns (Harbor 'Research')

A firm called Harbor 'Research' is making dubious recommendations to Intel; as shown in the above video, there's also an obsession with buzzwords (typically suggestive of a lack of technical grasp/understanding)

3. IRC Proceedings: Monday, January 18, 2021

IRC logs for Monday, January 18, 2021

4. The US Election Was Not Rigged, But the Nomination Process Was (Undermined to Maintain Control by Oligarchy)

Cheating/driving the left out of the Democratic Party seems like a longstanding tradition and we know who stands to gain from it; moreover, problems remain in the voting process because it's controlled by secret code of companies like Microsoft (in spite of the openwashing)

5. InteLeaks – Part XX: Redacted (for Names Only) Release of Intel File About Developer eXperience (DX) Meddling in GNU/Linux

Today (or tonight) we release the first 'phase' of InteLeaks in a sensibly redacted form; coming up next is a surprise from Team Microsoft

6. Sites in Bed With the EPO and UPC 'Covering' the 'News' Without Mentioning Any of the Overt Abuses

It is rather sad that blogs like IP Kat have turned into proponents of abusive EPO management and Team UPC increasingly resorts to lying using pseudonyms (to avert criticism and accountability); much of the rebuttal or response that’s hinged on reality/facts can only be found in comments, which are still subjected to a face-saving moderation process (conducted by Team UPC)

7. Suppressed Facts of the Free Software Movement and Its Community of Volunteers – Part IV: Stories From the Depths of the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

To reduce or alleviate suspicions and a potential of mistrust the FSF needs to become more transparent and liberate information (such as the real reason Bradley Kuhn left, as noted in the previous part)

8. Links 18/1/2021: GNU Radio 3.9, Wikipedia at 20

9. InteLeaks – Part XIX: Intel's Web 'Experts' Seen as Microsoft Champions Dealing With the Platform Microsoft is Looking to Destroy

Things aren't rosy at Intel because the hires aren't suitable for the job of documenting and/or presenting GNU/Linux-centric products (whose target audience is Free software developers)

10. Adding Images as Characters to the Daily Bulletins of Techrights

Our daily bulletins now have inside them coarse graphics, depicted using characters alone, and the tool used to generate them announced a new release earlier today; we showcase some of its features (in a new video)

11. Links 18/1/2021: Weekly Summaries and Linux 5.11 RC4

12. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, January 17, 2021

IRC logs for Sunday, January 17, 2021

13. The Oligarchs' Parties Will Never Choose the Side of Software Freedom Because Free Software Cannot Bribe Officials

The tough reality is that next week's (or this coming week's, depending on what Sunday counts as) inauguration ceremony is partly symbolic as all the same and important issues remain largely untouched, for corporations control almost everything of significance

14. COVID-19 Has Actually Helped Software Freedom Due to Financial and 'Spare Time' Factors

Developers and users are increasingly exploring what the Free software world has to offer; this is actually measurable and it contradicts claims to the contrary

15. Future Plans and Using Videos to Complement Text

Remarks on recent and impending site changes; We are not replacing text with video, we're just trying to enhance the presentation a bit, especially where visuals help make a point or where browsing through Web sites (or leaks) is more suitable than static, linear presentation

16. InteLeaks – Part XVIII: Intel Does Not Know How to Properly Do Research and It Seems Apparent Unscientific Methods Are Used to Justify Poor Documentation

There appears to be a severe crisis at Intel; they cannot recruit scientists (or those whom they recruited are walking away) and as a result the company produces bad products with poor documentation (or highly defective chipsets that top-notch marketing cannot compensate for); in this video we walk through some examples of how studies are being conducted (as already noted in Part XVII)

17. Suppressed Facts of the Free Software Movement and Its Community of Volunteers – Part III: The Free Software Foundation (FSF) Seems More Like a Victim of Destabilisation Campaigns

The Free Software Foundation (FSF), which turns 36 later this year, is looking to raise money that helps support the GNU Project, soon 38 years old and likely the most important Free software project to exist (ever)

18. Links 17/1/2021: EasyOS on Raspberry Pi and GNU libsigsegv 2.13

19. InteLeaks – Part XVII: The High Cost of Microsoft Windows Users in GNU/Linux Development Teams

A look inside Intel explains what holds back the technical team, which bemoans the lesser technical people getting in the way and not even using the product that they are writing about

20. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, January 16, 2021

IRC logs for Saturday, January 16, 2021

21. Suppressed Facts of the Free Software Movement and Its Community of Volunteers – Part II: Why Bradley Kuhn Left the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

The founder of the FSF is still at the FSF (albeit not publicly) and the person who lobbied to oust him has basically been 'banished' by the founder

22. Links 16/1/2021: LibreOffice 7.1 Release Candidate, Zeroshell 3.9.5, FreeBSD Report, and GhostBSD 21.01.15

23. Free Speech on the Web Not Respected by Companies That Used to Support Software Freedom

Mozilla does not have to make its Web browser about politics; it can just make an excellent piece of software that is neutral about the Web pages that it renders, based on the user's personal preferences

24. Suppressed Facts of the Free Software Movement and Its Community of Volunteers – Part I: We Are Under Attack by Corporations and Their Salaried Facilitators

The corporate takeover (taking over the Commons, produced by volunteers who are motivated by altruism) is a subject we must speak about and somehow tackle; this series will highlight uncomfortable or difficult truths

25. InteLeaks – Part XVI: Intel Cannot Do Command Line, Even When It's Vastly Simpler and More Suitable for Development

The Developer eXperience (DX) team at Intel seems to be full of Microsoft drones instead of developers and/or mildly technical people; this has not only harmed the quality of documentation but also upset staff, alienating people who actually understand what developers need (more than buzzwords like "DX")

26. IRC Proceedings: Friday, January 15, 2021

IRC logs for Friday, January 15, 2021

27. Links 15/1/2021: KaOS 2021.01, Whisker Menu 2.5.2, Istio 1.8.2

28. InteLeaks – Part XV: Intel is Blind to Blind and Colour-Blind People

Intel does not seem to grasp very basic concepts associated with accessibility; nevertheless, Intel shamelessly tries painting itself as "woke" and a "justice warrior" (policing speech while overlooking much-needed practical work)

29. Links 15/1/2021: GStreamer 1.18.3 and Proton 5.13-5