05.14.07

The Trust Problem with Novell (Corrected)

Posted in Novell, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Videos at 1:42 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

One challenge which Novell is yet to tackle is the loss of trust. This loss might be irreversible. While some people are standing behind Novell’s decision, many others are not. One of them used to be very pro-SUSE blogger, but he moved to Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Now he explores Opensuse again, but in his latest blog item he explains his reasons for making the switch.

Do I still feel ‘betrayed’ by Novell? Maybe betrayed is too bombastic a word, but I certainly don’t feel comfortable using Novell. I’ve got a constant eye on Novell and its behavior as well as the advances of other distributions. I have no great love for current Novell and I will certainly try this again when the next releases of Fedora and Ubuntu hit the streets. Microsoft is too close to Novell and I don’t trust Microsoft.

After last night’s shocker, can anyone blame him?

I could not help noticing that Francis Giannaros, who persistently defends Novell in our blog, has left a comment there already. I cannot help but wonder if he does some ‘leg work’ for SUSE. Call me a paranoid if you wish, but over time I have got an eye for these things (consider OOXML as a very recent example).

You can no longer trust anything you read. I am aware of people who get paid for PR charades and placements in the media. Needless to say, they have been caught before. Groklaw had some of them named and shamed. Disclosure is the key here and I am by no means suggesting that Francis is in some way affiliated — directly or indirectly — with Novell. Let us just keep our eyes open and learn from the past.

Another challenge Novell will be facing is restoration of confidence, image, and respect. Based on the following video, Novell if losing its respect. “Farce” is the word used to describe its kernel bootcamp. (see corrections in the comments)

For context, here are a couple of videos (parts I & II) about Novell’s bootcamp (mind the corrections in the comments section). Judge these for yourselves, but to me they seem rather juvenile.

If you know a method for making these streams available in an open and free format, please holler. At least one person was upset by the inclusion of embedded flash objects. Perhaps a trivial solution to this exists.

1. akf said,

May 14, 2007 at 3:19 am

> if you know a method for making these streams available in an open and free format, please holler. At least one person was upset by the inclusion of embedded flash objects. Perhaps a trivial solution to this exists.

I wasn’t “upset”. I just asked for it.

I tried ffmpeg2theora, but I had no success. But that’s the tool, which is most promising. — Perhaps it works with another step between it.

If you have a Windows machine available (I really haven’t) maybe the following text may help you:

May 14, 2007 at 3:49 am

I can almost swear that I saw a download option in GooTube, but maybe it was just Google Video. I just can’t seem to find it anywhere. Yesterday, for example, I tried to find something that would suit you better.

“Upset” was probably my poor choice of words.

3. Lars Marowsky-Brée said,

May 14, 2007 at 6:39 am

Note that the Novell Boot Camp is something else entirely than the Kernel Boot Camp we organized, which was an internal training session only; they are completely unrelated.

Some information about the Kernel Boot Camp can be found if you follow the link from this comment.

4. Lars Marowsky-Brée said,

May 14, 2007 at 6:43 am

Oh, and note further that John only refered to a single session not meeting his expectations content-wise. I won’t go into details, as that would be impolite. But for a week packed with trainings, that’s very good.

May 14, 2007 at 7:05 am

Lars, I hope it wasn’t impolite to mention this and yes, I am aware that the guy in the video was referring to a single session/day. I did not know that the ‘bootcamps’ were separate altogether. I never knew about them at all, until very recently.

In any event, let the readers judge these for themselves. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the videos.

Best wishes.

6. Francis Giannaros said,

May 14, 2007 at 9:01 am

> I could not help noticing that Francis Giannaros, who persistently defends Novell in our blog, has left a comment there already. I cannot help but wonder if he does some ‘leg work’ for SUSE.

This Conspiracism is getting to the point where it’s really just creeping to Paranoid Personality Disorder (specifically, where it’s persecutory paranoia), which is serious enough. Just take a look at your next statement: “You can no longer trust anything you read”.

It’s not like I’m anonymous and you don’t have any information on me; I’m also not the only one, just one of the only ones posting here. We did have #opensuse-fud open at the original time nearer the deal, and it was closed for some time, but we’ve opened it up again now, so feel free to join us in there for discussions.

I post on this site quite a bit because I’ve got it in my feed now. I knew of its existence before, but /. comments, and a few in ##linux actually suggested that they take all the headlines on here to be completely true (without doing research), so I thought I’d provide another perspective for people. If there is a problem with that, please let me know though.

7. Marcus Meissner said,

May 14, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Perhaps you should edit the article after Lars comments?

Ciao, Marcus

May 14, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Marcus, thanks for suggesting this. I hope you find the changes satisfactory.

1. [Meme] Alexander Ramsay and Team UPC Inciting Politicians to Break the Law and Violate Constitutions, Based on Misinformation, Fake News, and Deliberate Lies Wrapped up as 'Studies'

The EPO‘s law-breaking leadership (Benoît Battistelli, António Campinos and their corrupt cronies), helped by liars who don't enjoy diplomatic immunity, are cooperating to undermine courts across the EU, in effect replacing them with EPO puppets who are patent maximalists (Europe’s equivalents of James Rodney Gilstrap and Alan D Albright, a Donald Trump appointee, in the Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, respectively)

2. Has the Administrative Council Belatedly Realised What Its Job in the European Patent Organisation Really Is?

The "Mafia" which took over the EPO (the EPO's own workers call it "Mafia") isn't getting its way with a proposal, so it's preventing the states from even voting on it!

3. [Meme] Team UPC is Celebrating a Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic victory best describes what's happening at the moment (it’s a lobbying tactic, faking/staging things to help false prophecies be fulfilled, based on hopes and wishes alone), for faking something without bothering to explain the legal basis is going to lead to further escalations and complaints (already impending)

4. Links 24/1/2022: Scribus 1.5.8 and LXLE Reviewed

5. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, January 23, 2022

IRC logs for Sunday, January 23, 2022

6. [Meme] Team UPC Congratulating Itself

The barrage of fake news and misinformation about the UPC deliberately leaves out all the obvious and very important facts; even the EPO‘s António Campinos and Breton (Benoît Battistelli‘s buddy) participated in the lying

7. Links 24/1/2022: pgBadger 11.7 Released, Catch-up With Patents

8. The Demonisation and Stereotyping of Coders Not Working for Big Corporations (or 'The System')

The war on encrypted communication (or secure communications) carries on despite a lack of evidence that encryption stands in the way of crime investigations (most criminals use none of it)

9. On the 'Peak Hacker' Series

Hacker culture, unlike Ludditism, is ultimately a movement for justice, for equality, and for human rights through personal and collective emancipation; Dr. Farnell has done a good job explaining where we stand and his splendid series has come to a close

10. Links 23/1/2022: First RC of Linux 5.17 and Sway 1.7 Released

11. Peak Code — Part III: After Code

"Surveillance perimeters, smart TVs (Telescreens built to Orwell's original blueprint) watched over our living rooms. Mandatory smart everything kept us 'trustless'. Safe search, safe thoughts. We withdrew. Inside, we went quietly mad."

12. IRC Proceedings: Saturday, January 22, 2022

IRC logs for Saturday, January 22, 2022

13. Links 23/1/2022: MongoDB 5.2, BuddyPress 10.0.0, and GNU Parallel 20220122

14. A Parade of Fake News About the UPC Does Not Change the General Consensus or the Simple Facts

European Patents (EPs) from the EPO are granted in violation of the EPC; Courts are now targeted by António Campinos and the minions he associates with (mostly parasitic litigation firms and monopolists), for they want puppets for “judges” and for invalid patents to be magically rendered “valid” and “enforceable”

15. Welcome to 2022: Intentional Lies Are 'Benefits' and 'Alternative Facts'

A crooks-run EPO, together with the patent litigation cabal that we’ve dubbed ‘Team UPC’ (it has nothing to do with science or with innovation), is spreading tons of misinformation; the lies are designed to make the law-breaking seem OK, knowing that Benoît Battistelli and António Campinos are practically above the law, so perjury as well as gross violations of the EPC and constitutions won’t scare them (prosecution as deterrence just isn’t there, which is another inherent problem with the UPC)

16. From Software Eating the World to the Pentagon Eating All the Software

“Software is eating the world,” according to Marc Andreessen (co-founder of Netscape), but the Empire Strikes Back (not the movie, the actual empire) by hijacking all code by proxy, via Microsoft, just as it grabbed a lot of the world’s communications via Skype, bypassing the world's many national telecoms; coders need to fight back rather than participate in racist (imperial) shams such as GitHub

17. Links 22/1/2022: Skrooge 2.27.0 and Ray-Tracing Stuff

18. IRC Proceedings: Friday, January 21, 2022

IRC logs for Friday, January 21, 2022

19. Peak Code — Part II: Lost Source

"Debian and Mozilla played along. They were made “Yeoman Freeholders” in return for rewriting their charters to “work closely with the new Ministry in the interests of all stakeholders” – or some-such vacuous spout… because no one remembers… after that it started."

20. Links 22/1/2022: Ubuntu MATE 21.10 for GPD Pocket 3, MINISFORUM Preloads GNU/Linux

21. Computer Users Should be Operators, But Instead They're Being Operated by Vendors and Governments

Computers have been turned into hostile black boxes (unlike Blackbox) that distrust the person who purchased them; moreover, from a legislative point of view, encryption (i.e. computer security) is perceived and treated by governments like a threat instead of something imperative — a necessity for society’s empowerment (privacy is about control and people in positions of unjust power want total and complete control)

22. Peak Code — Part I: Before the Wars

Article/series by Dr. Andy Farnell: "in the period between 1960 and 2060 people had mistaken what they called "The Internet" for a communications system, when it had in fact been an Ideal and a Battleground all along - the site of the 100 years info-war."

23. Links 21/1/2022: RISC-V Development Board and Rust 1.58.1

24. IRC Proceedings: Thursday, January 20, 2022

IRC logs for Thursday, January 20, 2022

25. Gemini Lets You Control the Presentation Layer to Suit Your Own Needs

In Gemini (or the Web as seen through Gemini clients such as Kristall) the user comes first; it's not sites/capsules that tell the user how pages are presented/rendered, as they decide only on structural/semantic aspects

26. The Future of Techrights

Futures are difficult to predict, but our general vision for the years ahead revolves around more community involvement and less (none or decreased) reliance on third parties, especially monopolistic corporations, mostly because they oppress the population via the network and via electronic devices

27. [Meme] UPC for CJEU

When you do illegal things and knowingly break the law to get started with a “legal” system you know it’ll end up in tears… or the CJEU

28. Links 20/1/2022: 'Pluton' Pushback and Red Hat Satellite 6.10.2

29. The Web is a Corporate Misinformation/Disinformation Platform, Biased Against Communities, Facts, and Science

Misinformation/disinformation in so-called 'news' sites is a pandemic which spreads; in the process, the founder of GNU/Linux gets defamed and GNU/Linux itself is described as the problem, not the solution to the actual problems

30. Links 20/1/2022: McKinsey Openwashing and Stable Kernels